Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by NPO
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7F3260A6-12E0-48F9-B45D-1314917AE31F (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

Hello. I’m new to this site, and needed some advice. I am interested in buying a preorder from another member. They told me that to give them my CC and they will give spooky my CC and have their order transferred into my name.

Is this how it usually works? I’m concerned because I’ve never made a purchase like this before.

Please let me know how a transaction like this should usually take place.

Thanks.

#2 2 years ago

Red flag. That's not how this works. Others will chime in. Don't give your CC number.

#3 2 years ago

I would not give out your credit card number...see if you can deal directly with Spooky pinball and have them transfer ownership.

#4 2 years ago

I would NEVER give someone a credit card number. I can’t say how Spooky handles transfers. I would recommend calling Spooky directly to get information/ask questions.

#5 2 years ago

Just FYI that this doesn't mean this is a scam, but there are better ways to do the transaction as described above. It's possible the other user on pinside did not know the proper way to do the transfer and assumed he could keep the CC on file and give it when ready, which is obviously not the right way to do things.

Just in case anyone wants to start grabbing pitchforks early.

#6 2 years ago

smells fishy dude. DO NOT give him your CC. I would get his info and call Spooky and confirm he has a spot.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from Derwin:

Hello. I’m new to this site, and needed some advice. I am interested in buying a preorder from another member. They told me that to give them my CC and they will give spooky my CC and have their order transferred into my name.
    Is this how it usually works? I’m concerned because I’ve never made a purchase like this before.
    Please let me know how a transaction like this should usually take place.
    Thanks.

https://shop.spookypinball.com/contact_form.php
    Go to Spooky's site and ask Spooky. That will be your best source of information about how Spooky will handle any transfer.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

https://shop.spookypinball.com/contact_form.php
    Go to Spooky's site and ask Spooky. That will be your best source of information about how Spooky will handle any transfer.

Thank you for all the advice. It seemed a bit odd, so that’s why I posted this question. I never expected to get such an immediate response. So very cool!

I just contacted Spooky about what the proper procedure would be for purchasing/selling a preorder.

Thanks again for your input!

#9 2 years ago

I don't know what the procedure is, but find another seller. There's plenty of UM and HW out there without having to rely on someone that's unethical enough to ask for your credit card info.

#10 2 years ago

Yeah, just to reiterate: Never give your credit card info to a random individual on the internet.

#11 2 years ago

Hello and welcome to pinside. Never give your CC info to a stranger, never take candy from a stranger and never get into a car with a stranger.

Not sure who else you reached out to that wanted your CC info, but you also PM'd me about my spot for sale? If you are interested, let me know. I moved up so I do not need a second one.

#455 - need to contact spooky to change the name for the spot. Whomever you purchase a spot from, you will have to pay them for what they paid for the deposit. The rest will go to Spooky when the game is done and is ready to ship.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Asylum:

never get into a car with a stranger

I guess that means uber is out then

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I guess that means uber is out then

Funny - well in fairness, you actually ordered them via app.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from Asylum:

Funny - well in fairness, you actually ordered them via app.

Yes, you summon a stranger from the internet and then get into their car.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yes, you summon a stranger from the internet and then get into their car.

Correct. And if there's candy in the backseat, you eat it.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

A mint on the backseat is a sign of class

#17 2 years ago

Well, I just made payment by PayPal for this preorder.

Made payment to https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/jeremy19

I’ll report back here if all goes well today.

[Image Removed]

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Mine only ever have puke in the backseat

#19 2 years ago

Now that I'm in front of a keyboard, I can tell you how I as a Spooky pre-order buyer sold my spot, and how I bought a spot.

I put down a deposit on a Rick and Morty day 1, minute 1 in the original order window and got BSE# 374. I don't remember the exact ammount, but I want to say it was a $1500 payment direct to spooky. Several months later, COVID hit, and in the weird window at the beginning of it, I wasn't sure I was going to be able to work and had to cut back on spending. I couldn't ask my family to cut back on things like eating out while I had a pinball machine pre-ordered, so I elected to sell my spot. I ended up selling to my boss at work. He paid me $1500 in cash, and at that point I emailed Spooky and directed them to shift the pre order from me to him. They asked for confirmation (and tried to make sure I wasn't getting screwed), and I confirmed that yes, its a real person and I have the money. That was all that was needed. 6 months down the line he decided he didn't want it and offered to sell it back, which I happily bought. I paid him directly , he emailed spooky, and they shifted the pre-order back to me. At no point did the person buying the pre-order from the owner of the pre-order have to pay Spooky anything.

I hope that helps and good luck!

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Now that I'm in front of a keyboard, I can tell you how I as a Spooky pre-order buyer sold my spot, and how I bought a spot. At no point did the person buying the pre-order from the owner of the pre-order have to pay Spooky anything.
    I hope that helps and good luck!

Buying/selling between friends is much easier, especially if you’re meeting and exchanging cash between people you know and trust. My situation is a bit different, since it’s two people who do not know each other, and are thousands of miles apart.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from Derwin:

Buying/selling between friends is much easier, especially if you’re meeting and exchanging cash between people you know and trust. My situation is a bit different, since it’s two people who do not know each other, and are thousands of miles apart.

True... but at no point in time was payment information required to be given to Spooky to transfer ownership of the machine.

You should be paying at most the pre-order amount directly to the person you are getting the spot from, and via paypal or check or something with a finite amount. You should not be passing them your credit card information.

The possible loss of paying for someone else's pre-order spot are limited to the price of the pre-order. The possible loss from giving someone your credit card info is... your credit card limit.

Good luck!

#22 2 years ago

Yes. If you read my last post, you’ll see I paid this morning with PayPal. Now I’m waiting to hear back.

#23 2 years ago

I couldn't ask my family to cut back on things like eating out while I had a pinball machine pre-ordered

You're a good man, Charlie Brown.

What this should say is: "I couldn't ask my family to cut back on things like eating out while I had a pinball machine pre-ordered, so I made the tough decision to put my Raven up for sale, listing it for $12,500. I had four buyers within 24 hours. So, I didn't sell my spot AND I was able to take my family out to eat every night for 5 months straight!:

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from Derwin:

Well, I just made payment by PayPal for this preorder.
    Made payment to https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/jeremy19
    I’ll report back here if all goes well today.

Please don't post someone's private contact info out in the open.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Please don't post someone's private contact info out in the open.

Please inform me what private information I posted.

All I posted was the sellers PUBLIC pinside link. So, yeah, what’s the issue?

Oh.. the screen capture I posted of my payment with email? Sorry about that.

#26 2 years ago

apologize for that oversight.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from Derwin:

Oh.. the screen capture I posted of my payment with email? Sorry about that.

Yup.

#28 2 years ago

I apologize for that oversight. I should have blocked it out like this.

7F3260A6-12E0-48F9-B45D-1314917AE31F (resized).jpeg7F3260A6-12E0-48F9-B45D-1314917AE31F (resized).jpeg
    #30 2 years ago
    Quoted from Derwin:

I apologize for that oversight. I should have blocked it out like this. [quoted image]

Just not sure why you think you need to keep us informed on every detail of a private transaction anyway.

If you are that suspicious of this deal you shouldn't have jumped into it anyway. If it goes South a few screenshots aren't going to get you your money back.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Just not sure why you think you need to keep us informed on every detail of a private transaction anyway.
    If you are that suspicious of this deal you shouldn't have jumped into it anyway. If it goes South a few screenshots aren't going to get you your money back.

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll delete this thread since it obviously injured you in some way.

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

He is brand new to the site and had enough sense to ask the group for help when he was suspicious about a transaction. I applaud his initiative

Edit- Spelling.

#33 2 years ago

He is brand new to the site and had enough sense to ask the group for help when he was suspicious about a transaction. I applaud his initiative
    Edit- Spelling.

Great!

Well since he's a noob, he should know that most people here wouldn't appreciate all or any of the details of their private transactions posted here. It's tacky at best and a serious invasion of privacy at worst.

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Great!
    Well since he's a noob, he should know that most people here wouldn't appreciate all or any of the details of their private transactions posted here. It's tacky at best and a serious invasion of privacy at worst.

Are being being purposely obtuse? I apologized for the oversight.

#35 2 years ago

Shawshank Redemption is seriously overrated!

#36 2 years ago

Edit- Spelling.

Thank you. It’s a rare compliment in a world filled with people who love to criticize.

#37 2 years ago

Welcome, and from Elwood!

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from Derwin:

Are being being purposely obtuse? I apologized for the oversight.

Just ignore it. That's what I do.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-a-pre-order and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.