(Topic ID: 45452)

Buying a pinball that you can play close by on location?

By Richthofen

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by EchoVictor
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

So I live 1.5 miles from a great arcade with 7 new sterns and one Addams family. I've really enjoyed TRON these days. TRON is on location at this arcade. However, I kind of still want to buy a TRON for my personal collection. Is this crazy? A waste? I mean, if they were a little cheaper and there was one around, I would also like rarer, older pins like safecracker or STTNG. But I can't really find those games these days. I'm looking to bring my collection back to three, spend 5k or less, and get a great game with flow. (SC being the exception, that's purely a nostalgia pick.)

Should I pull the trigger?

#2 6 years ago

If you like it enough to buy it then I would say yes.

#3 6 years ago

If you have enough, then go for it!!

#4 6 years ago

I do love it. What I am worried about is that I get to portal someday and then don't want to play anymore

#5 6 years ago

buy it. ops can change out what is there.

#6 6 years ago

I know the op. he was ready to sell it to finance avengers. ( he ended up selling SS instead)

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

I do love it. What I am worried about is that I get to portal someday and then don't want to play anymore

Then sell it

#8 6 years ago

The bowling center where I have my Pro Shop has AC/DC, BBH, FT, X-Men, and Avengers and I have all those games in my collection.

#9 6 years ago

Get it. I like to play my pins at very random times. If it was around the corner I would never be able to play it due to work

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

So I live 1.5 miles from a great arcade with 7 new sterns and one Addams Family. I've really enjoyed TRON these days. TRON is on location at this arcade. However, I kind of still want to buy a TRON for my personal collection. Is this crazy? A waste? I mean, if they were a little cheaper and there was one around, I would also like rarer, older pins like safecracker or STTNG. But I can't really find those games these days. I'm looking to bring my collection back to three, spend 5k or less, and get a great game with flow. (SC being the exception, that's purely a nostalgia pick.)
Should I pull the trigger?

Unless it was a grail game, I wouldnt. I like that variety of different route and home games.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

So I live 1.5 miles from a great arcade with 7 new sterns and one Addams Family

That's a great benefit to have and gives you the freedom to play on location rather than owning. If something leaves, and you really miss it, you'll know what you like.

#12 6 years ago

Playing on location sucks, a lot. Buy it if you like it.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Playing on location sucks, a lot. Buy it if you like it.

Ok, you don't seem to know the arcade he is talking about. Mike (the operatator of that arcade) keeps his machines in top top condition. If something goes wrong with them all you have to do is email him, and poof, he takes care of it.

That being said I thought about the same thing with the L+G one along with Pinball Wizard in Pelham having a Tron. But I ended up buying one anyway. Granted, mine was a longer drive than yours, but it just seemed like I wanted to play more games on it. I still play it on location even though I own it, but not as much. It lets me play other games when I'm out (The Paragon at PW gets to steal my lunch money instead of Tron). And as someone else said, Tron will probably hold its value pretty well. So I vote do it

#14 6 years ago

I definitely prefer to have games I can't find easily on location. If I can get to it in 20 minutes or less, I don't really feel a need to own it.

#15 6 years ago

Buy it. I like playing location games of the same title that I have at home - even though the games are the same, they play differently.

#16 6 years ago

I'd give you something else to think on.

Games get what I call a personality. You could have five identical games in a row, and players will gravitate to one of them. Just seems to play better.

So you do have the possibility of buying a game, and liking it or the location one better. Could make it a keeper for your collection or make you want it gone soon.

LTG : )

#17 6 years ago

In many cases it might be a touch overkill, but this is Tron! Do it! I'd say Tron is the ultimate game to have multiples around...they seem really variable in their action. On one it's Gem all day, while on another you can't dial in on Gem to save your life. So overall it's good and Tron to Tron it's good.

Also props to your local operator, that's good stuff!

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Games get what I call a personality. You could have five identical games in a row, and players will gravitate to one of them. Just seems to play better.

This could not be more true. Especially for older games. Last year at PAGG, there were three TZ's. I played each of them, but played only one for more than an hour, it seemed. The other two just weren't "right". Sure, one was super nice and clean, but the flippers weren't quite as strong. The other one just seemed devoid of life. But that third one....wow. Everything acted and reacted as you'd expect and the game just had a great flow to it. After being on Pinside long enough to learn who's machine it was, I'm happy to report that it was a fellow Pinsider's TZ. I even managed to put up a great score on there as well, without getting LITZ. Heck, it's what made me resolute in my decision to buy a TZ, at some point(which came sooner than expected).

As for TAF, I do have two local arcades that each have one(one's I've tried to buy from the owner multiple times). One plays great but has the bookcase taped open. Yes, taped, with packing tape. It also has a chunk of the playfield missing, namely the tab that has the right side chair-hole screw-to-Cousin It target area. I still have no clue how that must've happened. The other TAF has major playfield wear, the upper right flipper doesn't work, has massive magnet burn, and Thing's magnet doesn't work. Both of these TAF's make me feel sad for them. It's mainly why I wanted to buy them, to "rescue" them and restore them.

But, for the sake of the argument, let's say they both worked 100%. Both of these locations are more than a few miles away in directions I don't normally travel. You have to factor in gas, time to get there and back, screaming kids, filthy lockdown bars/flipper buttons, the risk of whether or not the game will even be up and running when you get there, and the lack of the ability to play in just your t-shirt and boxers.

For me, it's a no brainer. When it comes to my favorite titles, I'd rather own them. I can play them whenever I want, keep them as clean as I want, share them with friends and family(without forcing them to go to an arcade), and I can still tweak their "personalities" a little bit and make them more to my liking.

Also, I keep them on coin-op instead of free play so I can keep track of the amount of "money" that goes into it from me and anyone else who plays them. That way, I'll know when I "break even", as it were, on each machine(when the 'recent earnings' stat matches what I paid for the pin).

#19 6 years ago

I'm also of the opinion that it's good to have different stuff at home than what you have access to out there in the wild.

Lloyd's "personality" statement is spot on. I have access to a Judge Dredd that was nicer than the one I had, so it made my decision to sell mine easy. OTOH, I've played over half a dozen different JMs, and none is anywhere near as smooth and fast as mine, and thus, it's not going anywhere...

Either way you go, don't stress about it. Just enjoy!

Later,
EV

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Covington, GA
$ 26.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Des Moines, IA
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside