(Topic ID: 35020)

buying a pin, paypal gift option or echeck?...

By 35mm

11 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

sorry, if this has been asked before, i searched, didn't see an answer in the buying/selling sub-forum.

i'm buying an out-of-state pin off Ebay.
    the seller is rated 100% on previous Ebay sales (250+).
    he asked to be paid by the Paypal 'Gift' option.
    while he avoids the fees, it offers no protection for me apparently...?
    I'm suggesting Paypal echeck which takes longer to clear but protects me....?
    suppose i could do other methods, if anyone has a suggestion.

thxs for any input.

#2 11 years ago

Did you win the auction on ebay? If that is the case then use paypal unless he stated in the auction he does not take it. As a seller you need to take into account that you will lose money due to eBay and paypal fees. Now if he discounts the price of the machine since you are reducing his fees then it might be worth it, otherwise just use paypal without a gift since you will be protected.

#3 11 years ago

I would not pay using the "gift" option unless this is someone you know and trust. You will be left with zero protection. It is also against Ebay rules to request a gift payment to avoid fees on commercial sales.

Paypal fees are a cost of doing business as a seller and their responsibility.

#4 11 years ago

I would not use the gift for an ebay/Paypal transaction. He may be voilating the ebay rules by asking you to send a "gift".

#5 11 years ago

gotcha, preciate it.
    yeah, i don't know him and i won it on ebay.

#6 11 years ago

Absolutely not unless you know the person and are very comfortable with them. I would state to the seller that I just wasn't comfortable with that and want to keep it in Ebays guidelines for both of your protection.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from pintastic:

Absolutely not unless you know the person and are very comfortable with them. I would state to the seller that I just wasn't comfortable with that and want to keep it in Ebays guidelines for both of your protection.

Yup, ditto. He should have known about the fees with you going into the sale, and he should be okay with them. Unless he is offering to discount the game for you by about 3%, then you could balance the risk... but otherwise, I wouldn't.

#8 11 years ago

Select auction payment, not gift. If he sent that to you in writing keep it, might need it if he gets nasty. Fees are his responsibility, not yours.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-a-pin-paypal-gift-option-or-echeck and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.