(Topic ID: 285650)

Buying a NIB Stern sucks (and I really want to like it)!

By e4wesley

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1344183129571_7983507 (resized).png
    01BE0D7B-CDB8-4CE0-9127-4C0403EE85D4 (resized).jpeg
    98B61646-1747-4568-AAC7-6FB4BE198B8F (resized).jpeg
    E95D0306-EFF8-4889-AA13-D594B4CCED35 (resized).jpeg
    dont_you_say_that_billy_madison.gif
    5AD5D35A-6876-4705-92FF-B64F4EC421C5 (resized).png
    tenor (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yzfguy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#120 3 years ago
    Quoted from tp:

What'd you expect? A statement from Gary saying we know were shipping defective product but as long as you junkies keep buying we'll keep taking your money. Or maybe you were looking for; pinball is hard, if you don't know how to fix a brand new $10,000 toy you shouldn't f"n buy it.
    I say go jump off a fucking cliff. No other industry gets away with shipping broken product and gets away with it. Lotsa stuff has moving parts and arrives in working order.
    [Comment Removed]
    Temporary thread eject incoming so please quote me so I could get a chuckle in the future if and when I'm allowed back.

This Is Exactly Why I Have A Cup Of Joe Before I Start Posting. Lol

#122 3 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

Yep, but just as important is a dealer that really close by...which might not be easy in some locations.

You talk to the dealer? Back in 2004, I had the choice of buying my LOTR at Sharper Image or Pinball Warehouse. I didn't trust Sharper Image for support, so I called Pinball Warehouse and was impressed by the owner (Evan Steiner, IIRC).
    fwiw, back then, I would barely take the glass off and depended on Evan for any repairs. Over the next 16+ years, acquired a ton of experience fixing these beasts. Takes time to become proficient, and again, for really busy people, they don't have the time!

Yes, they don't have the time, or as the OP stated, don't want to learn to repair. I happen to sort of enjoy troubleshooting ( when it goes my way and doesn't lead me down a rabbit hole ), but I get how some people would just want to play a game and not center their life around it. I have a car, that doesn't mean I want to know how to adjust the valves, so I sort of see where he is coming from. Unfortunately for me, these pins are pretty much on my mind all friggin day. Right now I'm staring out the window waiting for UPS to bring my colordmd

1 week later
    #253 3 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

It really doesn't. The math and data show this is actually devastating to the original manufacturer. The NIB box sales that turn over into the used market is a massive loss. I often wonder if it's even on Sterns radar. Anecdotally JJP seems to be a little more focuses and it doesn't seem to be hurting them. Stern on the other hand seems to just getting their asses kicked by the used market.
    Here is how it works, lets say Joe and Fred are friends. Joe buy a NIB Stern. The experience is ok but he has to tinker with it and has a couple of problems. He gets it sorted out and his buddy Fred is getting interested. A few months go buy and Joe is bored with his NIB Pin and is thinking about selling it and maybe getting something else. He sells it to Joe. Joe may buy another NIB, but he may try a different company or even worse he may realize Fred saved some money and he kinda lost on the deal. Joe decides he is going to buy used. 1 NIB pin sold and you lost double that in revenue. You have 0 customers engaged and you have to try and win them back on the next one.
    Take the same scenario but Joe NIB sale is flawless, he is in love and his friend Fred is in love. The nest shiny new pin comes out and Fred tries to get Joe to sell him his old pin. Joe says I can't I love it to much and the next one is going to be awesome you should buy it too. Both Joe and Fred buy another NIB. 1 NIB grew to 3 and you doubled the revenue on the next pin. You have two customers that are engaged and willing to spend.
    JJP and some of the others do seem to be focused on being that Jewel in the crown of a collection. That pin that you have to get your own because you not having mine and get on board early for what is next. Stern has a few of them as well but they don't seem focused on it. They just seem to occasionally stumble into one. The other companies are focused on making another run of jewels. Stern drops a pin and everyone knows to just wait a couple weeks and you can grab used one. I'm not saying JJP and the others don't have issues just that they seem to be more focused on a better more successful marketing strategy to combat the revenue lost in the used market.

Fred is a dick, and he drinks all of Joey's beer anyway. How can you say "this is how it works" like these are facts?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yzfguy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-a-nib-stern-sucks-and-i-really-want-to-like-it?tu=yzfguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.