(Topic ID: 285650)

Buying a NIB Stern sucks (and I really want to like it)!

By e4wesley

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1344183129571_7983507 (resized).png
    01BE0D7B-CDB8-4CE0-9127-4C0403EE85D4 (resized).jpeg
    98B61646-1747-4568-AAC7-6FB4BE198B8F (resized).jpeg
    E95D0306-EFF8-4889-AA13-D594B4CCED35 (resized).jpeg
    dont_you_say_that_billy_madison.gif
    5AD5D35A-6876-4705-92FF-B64F4EC421C5 (resized).png
    tenor (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider roostking.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#69 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Every NIB game I have ever purchased had issues out of the box except AFM remake. Welcome to the club!
    I think this is going to be a on going issue with all these NEW folks in the hobby. Can we get past this covid crap so all these new guys can sell their games and move back to playing golf or something?

Pretty messed up thing to say since it seems the OP has his ducks in a row and did what was asked of him.

Id hate to be so rich(Well not really) or so apathetic that buying a new toy costing $8000 with multiple issues is considered "part of the NIB experience". Gee, sign me up?

#71 3 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

They don't build 'um like they use to. My NIB LOTR has been a stunning work horse...so incredibly reliable.

My NIB MetLE has been stone cold reliable from playing it point of view. The F7 fuse blows once a year, my gravemarker targets need adjustments and my shooter is off center. I cant do much about #1, #2 is on me to get the replacement target springs adjusted correctly, and #3 has been something I have messed with since day one, but not a big deal.

With that said, I do have concerns with Stern QA, fortunately, they have not made my dream theme, yet. Mad Max/Road Warrior. I might be a bit more critical then!

#72 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Well, it's not that, really. It's just that by their nature, when pins are moved and knocked around...even when fully padded and strapped down, all those moving parts can be knocked slightly off kilter which can present themselves as major out of box issues. This happens when you ship a perfectly working used pin as well. There are usually adjustments that need to be made, and I think Woody's point was that people new to the hobby might not know that. It IS frustrating, though, but those of us who have been doing this for some time know to expect it.

And so the OP turns to the OEM and distributor for the help he needs and the "support" he expected and paid for, as a nib. Used pin? On your own..

#133 3 years ago
    Quoted from BMHouze:

My first NiB is a Stern Heavy Metal.
    I feel ripped off having it sitting next to my Aerosmith pro.
    Especially when HM is premium priced.
    I feel your pain.

Did you research HM before you bought?

You cant blame Stern on this. Its a contract game and the owners of Heavy Metal magazine set the price, not Stern.

#204 3 years ago
    Quoted from BMHouze:

I agree.
    My first NiB is Heavy Metal
    I know it is a risk,
    But it will have very low production numbers.
    My LE is only 300 max.
    I found the low total number and near impossibility of a vault edition compelling.
    Built on a solid top ten pin helps...
    Being a whole lot easier than 7 modes to get to wizard mode could make it a game I can finish.

I hope you dont think of this purchase, as an investment. How do you like the gameplay!

#216 3 years ago
    Quoted from huo:

Curious, is “the Pin” more reliable than a Pro model?

Far less and not really comparable.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider roostking.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-a-nib-stern-sucks-and-i-really-want-to-like-it?tu=roostking and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.