(Topic ID: 285650)

Buying a NIB Stern sucks (and I really want to like it)!

By e4wesley

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1344183129571_7983507 (resized).png
    01BE0D7B-CDB8-4CE0-9127-4C0403EE85D4 (resized).jpeg
    98B61646-1747-4568-AAC7-6FB4BE198B8F (resized).jpeg
    E95D0306-EFF8-4889-AA13-D594B4CCED35 (resized).jpeg
    dont_you_say_that_billy_madison.gif
    5AD5D35A-6876-4705-92FF-B64F4EC421C5 (resized).png
    tenor (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jawjaw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#34 3 years ago

So you avoided the local distributor but then wanted their assistance when you had problems? If you are talking about Joystix, I have bought games from them in the past when new to hobby. When I bought my ST pro nib, they opened it up and let me play/inspect it before paying. I probably could of saved money buying from another distributor out of state but not worth the risk imo for the exact reason you described.

It sucks you had so many issues but you were not exactly clear what those issues were. It is very common for nib games to need adjustments or small fixes. If Stern had to pay for a tech to come out to every home to adjust switches, swap out bulbs, and dislodge stuck balls on new games they would go broke in weeks. Pinball is different than other industries where the expectation is games will need constant maintenance and end user will do that maintenance. If a game has serious problems like node board failures, Stern support is usually good over the phone to work things out.

#56 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I really don't care what he bought or from whom, this is BULLSHIT. Guy pays top dollar for a Stern Pro and it doesn't work. The distributor should have had someone out within 72 hours. Don't care how little or big the issue(s) were. What does it matter what the problems are? The basic directive should be get the customer up & running. Phone support, tech support, whatever it takes. That IS customer service.
    Anyone defending STERN or the distributor, or calling the OP out, you are just as much part of the problem if you think this is OK. When the other distributor had to take the machine back, they stated this machine never should have passed QC. Newbie issues my ass!

So you think every distributor should have a fleet of techs that drive hours away to support any issue whether it's a stuck ball or broken rubber for pretty much any game regardless if they sold it or not? They would then bill Stern for hundreds of dollar and Stern would just pay it regardless? I'm not trying to defend Stern but you got to be realistic.

#59 3 years ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

Why not? I know it's not quite the same, but back to the car analogy. I can take my car back to any dealer for service under warranty. It doesn't have to be the one I bought it from. The manufacturer pays the mechanic/tech for the service. Only difference I see here is the pin tech coming to you versus you taking the car to the mechanic.
    Now I don't agree with any issue, such as a stuck ball. You don't get free wiper blades and oil changes (usually)

Pinball machines are not cars and distributors are not service centers. There is just no service industry for pinball machines and few legit pinball techs. Many people buy from out of state or far away distributors because there just isn't one close by. No tech is going to drive hours away in their own car and waste an entire day unless they are paid well. If you expect Stern to pay for all service calls around the world, expect to pay a whole lot more for a pin.

#147 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Stern really doesn’t go the extra mile tho it’ll get you a working pin but often won’t ask how your feeling or hold your hand.
    I bought a $20 battery for an iPhone and I got an email asking how I liked it and was everything satisfying?
    I buy a $8000 pin from Stern that might have software bugs and I’ll write and write and not even get a reply. Never would someone at Stern ask if I was happy with the purchase and was everything satisfactory.

Thing is Stern is a manufacturer not a retailer. You do not typically buy your pins directly from then. That's the distributor's job. I would be bothered if Stern got hold of my contact info from someone else. Distributors should be taken care of their customers but it seems some do a much better job at that than others. I'm guessing some distributors focus on clients that buy a lot of games and not the ones that buy a game every now and then. That said, Stern should really reply to emails or tech questions. Doesn't take much to at least say "we will look into it" or some generic response.

Btw - I get annoyed with companies that feel they have to contact you every time you buy one of their products. I bought a guitar amp for my daughter last Christmas from this online store. They immediately started flooding me with emails asking how it's going, if needed lessons, if I like it, etc. They even started calling on my phone and leaving voice messages. There needs to be a checkbox when buying anything online for "leave me alone".

#210 3 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

OP is lucky he got a refund, Trent charged me $500 to return a NIB MET LED that had a chipping play field. I’ve bought NIB multiple times, I’ve spoken to Gary Stern at CES, I’ve emailed with Chas and Patrick Powers on issues numerous times. FUCK Stern seriously they don’t care about any of us they make it clear over and over. You know what I did, STOP BUYING! I feel so much better because they don’t get my money anymore. I play route and buy HUO when I want to own a Stern game. Would Stern have gone to lcd Screens without competition, no, do you want to support NIB Pinball, then support Stern’s competitors and MAYBE just MAYBE Stern will wake up before they go out of business.

Well, you are still supporting Stern by putting money in location games and buying their games used. Just saying.

#261 3 years ago

I think it's poor attacking nib buyers and calling them the problem. Let people make their own buying decisions. We are all adults and if you do zero research buying expensive items that's on you. Whether buying new used or not at all it's all decisions that should be made by individual on what is best for them.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jawjaw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-a-nib-stern-sucks-and-i-really-want-to-like-it?tu=jawjaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.