(Topic ID: 285650)

Buying a NIB Stern sucks (and I really want to like it)!

By e4wesley

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1344183129571_7983507 (resized).png
    01BE0D7B-CDB8-4CE0-9127-4C0403EE85D4 (resized).jpeg
    98B61646-1747-4568-AAC7-6FB4BE198B8F (resized).jpeg
    E95D0306-EFF8-4889-AA13-D594B4CCED35 (resized).jpeg
    dont_you_say_that_billy_madison.gif
    5AD5D35A-6876-4705-92FF-B64F4EC421C5 (resized).png
    tenor (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#158 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Sorry, but some of you are full of Pinside snobbery and need to get over your so called pinball owner expertise.

Its not that people should be pinball pros... but they should have done some basic research and own their actions.

Stern is a manufacturer - they do not do direct sales (as the op knows). The retailer is who provides support. So obviously if support and care are important to you, shop that.

Pinballs are commercial vending equipment. Your expectations of retail consumer experience for returns and hand holding do not apply. If you want someone who will provide that kind of end-user hand holding.... shop for that. Do not assume every seller provides a retail experience.

Also, don’t crap on someone for charging more for a retail experience and then cry the wholesaler you chose to buy from didn’t give you a full retail experience.

This pattern is as old as time... people buying from wholesalers or drop ship distributors and then cry about horrible treatment because they did’t get a full retail experience.

If you want service, hand holding, and consumer services.... STOP BUYING FROM COMMERCIAL DISTRIBUTION and buy from a retailer.

#167 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

What do you think the current percentage of home buyers vs. operators of NIB pinball machines these days? The reason I ask is the above thought is the Gary Stern way of thinking circa 2005.

Doesn’t matter that people are putting them in homes. That is still how stern builds, tests, certifies, services, and the model used for their sales distribution.

You can make an argument that sterns’s distribution model is outdated... but i think its more that stern hasn’t managed the distributor role well enough. There should be two tier distribution for retail buyers or distributors who actually have the services to support the customers. But the market has let distributors sell at wholesale to direct consumers. Stern hasn’t regulated nor structured the discounts to allow the two tier model to really be successful.

Stern pinballs are still built and distributed like other commercial vending equipment.

Quoted from vdojaq:

I am not sure a newbie is going to know the difference at this point.

If you walk into the plumbing supply store you are going to have different experiences vs shopping at home depot. When the customers ignore that and just try to chase price over everything else and bury their head to everything else. Well... that is on them.

#168 3 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

Most NIB pinball machines being sold are not commercial vending equipment. Sure, that's where the industry originated decades ago, but today, a majority of the sales are for home use. The fact that Stern (and others) are thriving when COVID shut down coin-op is proof of this.

I’m sorry... did the distribution channel change when i wasn’t looking? Or how stern builds, tests, supports, and certifies their kit? It doesn’t matter than there are more home buyers now... its still commercial vending equipment and that is how stern is structured.

Quoted from snaroff:

Even with a good distributor, the process for getting parts and repairs in a timely fashion sucks (particularly for non-hobbyists). It's a shame Stern hasn't modernized and beefed up their support staff and infrastructure. Getting parts is still hit or miss...

Totally agree... and I don’t really understand why distributors tough it out. This is where stern has gotten lazy and cheap after they were last man standing. From documentation, training, parts, service... its a joke.

#182 3 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

You are making my point...Stern's entire process hasn't changed much over the past 2 decades that I've been a customer. Customers have shifted dramatically over the past 2 decades, but not Stern.

Yes, but just because you find a wholesaler of electrical parts intended for commercial construction that is willing to sell to you as an individual ... that doesn’t mean you get to dictate to the manufacturer that they need to change and meet YOUR terms. And its still commercial kit...

Yes Sterns distribution and support model is fubar... mainly in that the model can’t work as intended given the effort stern puts in. But it is still commercial vending kit.

Don’t let gary see this thread... next game will remove all coin door stuff in a heart beat and make it an “vending kit” upgrade.

#183 3 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

Strange, EVERY Lotr I have come across has needed the fork switches at the VUKs replaced many times. They were simply crap switches during that run. Putting Cherry brand switches in instead of the factory Orion brand has been the only way to permanently fix them being flakey.

Ive replaced mine once in 16 years. YMMV

#231 3 years ago
    Quoted from DrJoe:

Bullshit. Factor in inflation and the (pro) games cost what they did in the mid-2000's

No, Stern's street price (nor MSRP) does not match the mid-2000s with inflation.
    Stern also has multiple competitors it did not have in the mid-2000s which should help with pricing pressure - but instead the competition has been at a less price sensitive product point... allowing Stern to inflate prices in their wake.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-a-nib-stern-sucks-and-i-really-want-to-like-it?tu=flynnibus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.