(Topic ID: 285650)

Buying a NIB Stern sucks (and I really want to like it)!

By e4wesley

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1344183129571_7983507 (resized).png
    01BE0D7B-CDB8-4CE0-9127-4C0403EE85D4 (resized).jpeg
    98B61646-1747-4568-AAC7-6FB4BE198B8F (resized).jpeg
    E95D0306-EFF8-4889-AA13-D594B4CCED35 (resized).jpeg
    dont_you_say_that_billy_madison.gif
    5AD5D35A-6876-4705-92FF-B64F4EC421C5 (resized).png
    tenor (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider elvishasleft.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#116 3 years ago

Next time buy it from a reputable dealer...

Allow them to open it and set it up and test everything even if they charge you something to do that. They can always re-box it and send it out.

Problem solved.

#123 3 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

Yep, but just as important is a dealer that really close by...which might not be easy in some locations.

This is very true and its also a fact that most people dont support their local dealers anyways and will buy wherever is cheapest.

If you are drop shipping a NIB game to your house from anyone you barely know you are assuming that risk IMO.

For anyone new to the hobby as I said buy local and have them set it up and test it for you.

Or ask the dealer to do this if they are remote... if they say no then move on.

#187 3 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

Actually, just the opposite. Stern cares much more about cranking them out than "fault free". I've been a NIB customer since 2004 (LOTR & TSPP). I can say from experience over 2 decades that Stern's quality has steadily declined over the years. I still have my LOTR...the quality is stunning...has had more plays than my entire collection combined x10 and still looks better than some of my newer games. One switch replaced in 16 years.

This is very true I have owned a few LOTR (maybe 5?) and that game is near bulletproof.

I think one had a magnet issue, replaced the fuse and that was it.

There was even a roached out beat to death one that was on location locally that still played decent even though it looked like it had zero service over the years.

#188 3 years ago

I do find it amusing that this is the usual Stern bashing thread cause my JJP pins to date have been far more of a pain in the ass

#190 3 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

They are all PITA's, but Stern has proven they could do better (but don't). JJP had "quality" as one of their reasons for birthing the company, but they've had their challenges...no doubt! Even though the first month of DILE ownership was a PITA, it has been good to me ever since (for ~3 years now).

yah for sure, just didnt want this to be another Stern sucks thread.

Wonka is a fantastic game but there are all kinds of known issues and poor design (Gobstopper kickout which is f-ed up in about every single game out of the box) in that one.

JJP IMO you are better off buying used and letting someone else get it together or you will be tinkering for hours or days.

I have had very little issues with NIB Sterns but rarely buy NIB anyways.

#221 3 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

Nice post! Actually, buying lightly used machines from 'pin technicians' is even better! The last few games I've sold were to newbies that don't want to be 'pin technicians'

Hell yes... dont be a victim of FOMO.

I have rarely bought NIB because I want someone else to spend hours getting everything working and dialed in.

Its cheaper and less headache.

I could have bought a NIB Wonka when they were available but waited a month or two to find a nice used one that plays perfect.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider elvishasleft.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-a-nib-stern-sucks-and-i-really-want-to-like-it?tu=elvishasleft and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.