(Topic ID: 285650)

Buying a NIB Stern sucks (and I really want to like it)!

By e4wesley

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1344183129571_7983507 (resized).png
    01BE0D7B-CDB8-4CE0-9127-4C0403EE85D4 (resized).jpeg
    98B61646-1747-4568-AAC7-6FB4BE198B8F (resized).jpeg
    E95D0306-EFF8-4889-AA13-D594B4CCED35 (resized).jpeg
    dont_you_say_that_billy_madison.gif
    5AD5D35A-6876-4705-92FF-B64F4EC421C5 (resized).png
    tenor (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider StoneyCreek.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#65 3 years ago

If you (whoever started this thread) are dedicated to this hobby, you better be ready to pull off the glass every once in a while, otherwise buy a video game. I bought 2 NIB machines this year and one had a very easy to fix issue that both my distributor and Stern ...during the covid production line shut down!...quickly diagnosed and fixed. the other machine is still running perfectly w/ no issues.
    Obviously ymmv. but set your expectations accordingly and wash your hands after handling the merchandise.

#165 3 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

Most NIB pinball machines being sold are not commercial vending equipment.

Do you have better data on this subject. I mean, is it just 2020 where home sales were the majority, or has it been happening for years?

#191 3 years ago
    Quoted from ClassicHornet:

Even if he knew how to repair pinball : why should he, straight off the shelf. It’s the principal of the matter. Why should he have to ask ppl here ? BS. He didn’t get what he paid for, simple. These things should be 100% in every facet when set up for the first time in our homes. Having said all that ; we are lucky pinball didn’t die in 2000 and I’m sure Stern would like to have fault free game off the shelf and are probably slowly working towards that goal.

the pinball industry needs a service corp.
    Ever bought a new heat pump for your house? It's expensive. and hard to transport, and install on you own. And sometimes it doesnt work right away, and needs to be adjusted. Same thing.
    Who installs and maintains it for you?

If pinball ever grows up, it will be because of a service corp that can make enough money installing and servicing machines. Until then, buyer beware, and no complaints please.

When Stern launches SternU and certifies different levels of pinball technicians...Apprentice, Skilled, Master....well then just shoot me.

#192 3 years ago
    Quoted from smokinhos:

I think everyone on here knows that all pins new or used need to be maintained, tweaked, etc. BUT - anything you buy should work as its supposed to. Do any of you tolerate fixing your own TV, stereo system, or fridge. Ummm.. no. The expectation is that it will work.. as it should. I guess we just accept that pinball games are less than perfect and we just learn how to fix and take care of them. Sad that we accept this as normal for our hobby. The OP does need to learn dine basics or be prepared to pay a tech or find a different hobby. And its not just Stern.. its all manufacturers.

but pinball machines are not appliances. They are like boats, which need constant attention for optimal enjoyment. They are a steel storm in a wood box! How can we expect 100% perfection with a hand-made product?

#193 3 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

Strange, EVERY Lotr I have come across has needed the fork switches at the VUKs replaced many times. They were simply crap switches during that run. Putting Cherry brand switches in instead of the factory Orion brand has been the only way to permanently fix them being flakey.

Don't know about LOTR but TSSP was released the same year and has the same issue with the VUKs

#220 3 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

Nice post! Actually, buying lightly used machines from 'pin technicians' is even better! The last few games I've sold were to newbies that don't want to be 'pin technicians'

100% agree After dipping my toe in years ago with a fixer-upper Xenon machine and learning the basics of flipper repair and various electronic challenges with an old pin...and a newer 2004 vintage Stern that needed VUK replacement and cliffy mods, I fell into some cash and bought a NIB JP Pre. After 3 games it bricked with...as it turned out after several video calls with Stern support...a bad CPU board. Easily replaced and has been rock solid since.
    BUT....I just got an old ST Pro that has likely had 5000 games played on it. Paid a fair price. It plays like new. It looks like new. The only complaint is the high score initials aren't mine. I'll never by NIB again. My buddy bought a NIB Turtles Pre and the code was crap until lately...still not perfect. I have not heard of any game in 2020 that was rock solid out of the box.
    Buy used. Like a car. But buy from someone who LOVEs their car!

#225 3 years ago
    Quoted from CubeSnake:

You're being kind....Stern's "Quality Control" is non-existent, and the crap they produce has the durability of a soap bubble.

Ouch! what do you really think?

#284 3 years ago

I had two NIBs that both landed with slight issues...that were expected...and were easy to adjust.
    I don't really believe in this thread's pretext. It just sounds bitchy.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider StoneyCreek.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-a-nib-stern-sucks-and-i-really-want-to-like-it?tu=StoneyCreek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.