(Topic ID: 285650)

Buying a NIB Stern sucks (and I really want to like it)!

By e4wesley

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1344183129571_7983507 (resized).png
    01BE0D7B-CDB8-4CE0-9127-4C0403EE85D4 (resized).jpeg
    98B61646-1747-4568-AAC7-6FB4BE198B8F (resized).jpeg
    E95D0306-EFF8-4889-AA13-D594B4CCED35 (resized).jpeg
    dont_you_say_that_billy_madison.gif
    5AD5D35A-6876-4705-92FF-B64F4EC421C5 (resized).png
    tenor (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Onwallst.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#150 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I still cannot believe anyone here is giving this guy shit. What is wrong with you people? Here is a new pinball guy who decides he wants a NIB machine for his personal use. According to some here, before this guy ever buys a machine, he needs to be proficient in care, maintenance, and repair before he ever buys a machine. Someone new, who wants into this hobby with new machines, not projects or 2nd hand, should have reasonable expectations that his or her $6K to $12K purchase works properly out of the box. If it doesn't, there should be at minimum a phone tech support to help with issues or to determine the next move. I have a NIB Deadpool sitting here for 3 weeks. When I open and set it up Friday, if there any issues, I can guarantee my dist. will be all over it. It's appalling that the attitude from some of you is if you are new to pinball, how dare you buy a new machine in the box? Seems like a bit of jealousy that some do not have to start at the $300 rat trap project to start off as a pinball owner.
    Next is some of you giving the guy shit because he could not really explain the problems up to "pinside expectations or standards". For Christ's sake, I have customers who have been driving for 30 years that wouldn't know the difference between an oil dipstick and a tire jack. What do I do? TAKE CARE OF THEM!
    Sorry, but some of you are full of Pinside snobbery and need to get over your so called pinball owner expertise.

I agree. Not everyone has to be savvy on how to fix a game. I use to buy nearly every new Stern release. These are designed for an arcade not some delicate surgery center room. That said the quality does suck in recent years. It started with Ghost Busters. The last great playfield quality that didn’t look like a moon crater was in 2011. What changed?? One can compare by looking at the games as they sit next to each other. Each of my Star Wars LE’s had chunks come off the playfield from “Chipping”. JP LE was always broken and with major issues. I have zero issues with my older stern games. Issue is market is hot and there are buyers who pay full price so Stern has no need to improve. I will say Stern has always taken care of the issues except some of the playfield issues even out of warranty. Yes they need to fix their model as in the long run they are missing more sales from buyers like me. I am afraid to buy NIB. I had great experience with cgc, jjp abs stern. I have had bad experiences with all. Stern is for sure the best of the three. I will never buy another CGC game again. These games always come out with “beta” code.

#151 3 years ago
    Quoted from Onwallst:

I agree. Not everyone has to be savvy on how to fix a game. I use to buy nearly every new Stern release. These are designed for an arcade not some delicate surgery center room. That said the quality does suck in recent years. It started with Ghost Busters. The last great playfield quality that didn’t look like a moon crater was in 2011. What changed?? One can compare by looking at the games as they sit next to each other. Each of my Star Wars LE’s had chunks come off the playfield from “Chipping”. JP LE was always broken and with major issues. I have zero issues with my older stern games. Issue is market is hot and there are buyers who pay full price so Stern has no need to improve. I will say Stern has always taken care of the issues except some of the playfield issues even out of warranty. Yes they need to fix their model as in the long they are missing more sales from buyers like me. I am afraid to buy NIB. I really am. These games always come out with “beta” code.

Also JJP no different. My hobbit came with glass broken and many other issues. JJP said no warranty for the game anymore. It was shipped directly from them to me. They said deal with the shipping company as not their responsibility. I did and shipping company said not covered. Jjp only covered for complete loss according to shipper. Jjp needed to buy extra insurance. Luckily Hemisphere who I bought through was awesome. They had their own insurance policy which not everyone has. We claimed it. I got a new game quickly. Hemisphere was incredible to deal with.

1 week later
    #226 3 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

Nice post! Actually, buying lightly used machines from 'pin technicians' is even better! The last few games I've sold were to newbies that don't want to be 'pin technicians'

After my last few NIB games from all three major manufacturers they are like wrapped packages. You don’t know what is inside. I buy a HOU used one usually an LE below original cost when the panic sell wave starts in 60-90 days after release. I can see how holding up and what warranty items fixed or need to be fixed. I get free pinstadium lights, cliffys and mods. I pass on the ones having issues. AIQ Le’s perfect example. They are now drying up as 5 sold this week. Mine is all dialed in by previous string pinsider with new subway mech. Latest code and more refined than launch code. I love doing it this way. No surprises!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Onwallst.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-a-nib-stern-sucks-and-i-really-want-to-like-it?tu=Onwallst and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.