(Topic ID: 285650)

Buying a NIB Stern sucks (and I really want to like it)!

By e4wesley

10 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 284 posts
  • 118 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by StoneyCreek
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1344183129571_7983507 (resized).png
    01BE0D7B-CDB8-4CE0-9127-4C0403EE85D4 (resized).jpeg
    98B61646-1747-4568-AAC7-6FB4BE198B8F (resized).jpeg
    E95D0306-EFF8-4889-AA13-D594B4CCED35 (resized).jpeg
    dont_you_say_that_billy_madison.gif
    5AD5D35A-6876-4705-92FF-B64F4EC421C5 (resized).png
    tenor (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Broohaha.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#217 10 months ago

I'm relatively new to the pinball scene; my first machine was a 9 y.o. SM in 2016 with my 2nd being a NIB AIQ two months ago.

Luckily, I found Pinside when I was researching my first buy. Echoing many comments above: I had done my research to know what I was getting into. Soon after purchase, I needed to rebuild my pop-bumpers (thanks VID!), learned how to do basic maintenance, bought a soldering iron, leaf switch adjuster, etc... For me, this was an undiscovered pleasure: tinkering with my toy.

Fast forward to Nov 2020, and I got the green light to buy AIQ NIB. Even after 4 years of tinkering, I had WAY too high of expectations for the contents of my big Stern box. Suffice to say, I spent a good month of adjusting and 're-installing' aspects of the game to get it to work as I liked (and as it should.) I'm still waiting for a date for my replacement (unpopulated ) playfield.

Point being: I thought I knew what I was doing. I naively thought there might be a loose connector or two, but I did not expect playfield pooling, or about 8 different issues that are likely tied to poor manufacturing/QA.

I thought of suggesting some kind of 'white glove' service (or SquareTrade warranty) for folks new to the space. But if that is $300 for my kid's $1,000 laptop, I can't imagine a newbie paying an $1,800 premium for a $6,000 (pro) toy. I always wondered if LE's came with additional attention to detail. I guess not.

I enjoy both of my toys, and I enjoy my tinkering. However, I've checked the NIB 'box' off my bucket list and will be looking for lightly used machines from people who don't want to be a 'pin technician'...

#222 10 months ago
    Quoted from PinFever:

great First Game to own except that games you pick afterward may not be as fun .
    Only Because SM is one of my top 5 fun pinball machines to play of all time .
    I may never sell mine it is that fun and timeless and never a problem mechanically .

I do love my SM. He's not getting as much attention as he used to with his newer, shinier brother, but I have to play at least one game every time I'm in my 'mini-gameroom.'

As much vitriol as there is in this thread, I have no doubt everyone who has a machine in their house is very glad it's there (in today's world).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Broohaha.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside