(Topic ID: 285650)

Buying a NIB Stern sucks (and I really want to like it)!

By e4wesley

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1344183129571_7983507 (resized).png
    01BE0D7B-CDB8-4CE0-9127-4C0403EE85D4 (resized).jpeg
    98B61646-1747-4568-AAC7-6FB4BE198B8F (resized).jpeg
    E95D0306-EFF8-4889-AA13-D594B4CCED35 (resized).jpeg
    dont_you_say_that_billy_madison.gif
    5AD5D35A-6876-4705-92FF-B64F4EC421C5 (resized).png
    tenor (resized).png

There are 284 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
    #101 3 years ago

OP, this hobby isn't for you. Pins are fragile and need maintenance often out of the blue. It has always been that way and always will be. The fact that you don't know what's wrong with it when we ask you a question is unsettling. You don't have to be a doctor to say, "my hip hurts."

Pinball is so so fun, but also can require a particular person to look after them.

#102 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

You're a lucky guy. I've had problems with new and used games. In both of our cases, the sample size is too small to say it doesn't happen. Doesn't mean either one of us is wrong.

My only point is this...with NIB games, the builders are typically more at fault than the shippers. That's my experience over the past 16 years of being in the hobby.

Quoted from PopBumperPete:

when was that
    my Batman TDK had dodgy cabinet decals and a switch out of alighnment
    old operators have posted that new B/W machines had to be shopped before being routed

2004. My first 2 NIB games were LOTR & TSPP. Both were rock solid. Build quality has been on a steady decline over the years...if people don't recognize this, they aren't paying attention, weren't around, or are just putting their head in the sand. Fortunately, I've gained a ton of experience since 2004, so fixing/tweaking them isn't a big deal...kind of fun. Unfortunately, not everyone has the time or motivation to fiddle...

#103 3 years ago

Wake up to see this thread on fire again, only to yawn............

#104 3 years ago

My first NiB is a Stern Heavy Metal.
    I feel ripped off having it sitting next to my Aerosmith pro.
    Especially when HM is premium priced.
    I feel your pain.

#105 3 years ago
    Quoted from holminone:

This whole thread is stupid and overly negative because of a mismatch of expectations.

Quoted from e4wesley:

the distributor stated they spent a couple of hours as a professional tech working on it.

A pro spending a couple hours on it is more effort than you should expect from your customer

Quoted from jalpert:

Stern needs to understand. If they are going to sell games for top dollar, they need to support customers who have top dollar expectations.

Stern already understands. They put as much effort into it as their business model requires. We WISH they would do better but until it's impacting sales in a noticeable way they won't. I think they expect their distributors to handle most end users.

#106 3 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Well the great thing is you dont have to keep looking at it.

#107 3 years ago

My last couple nib pins also had defects, I’ve gotten used to it , luckily they were easy fixes . I just hope jjp and stern continue to improve their quality control . I lived in Chicagoland area for nearly 10 years plus and I’m not a believer that the workforce that resides there is top notch , they lazy . I know because I was one of them I took siesta three times a day or went to the local bar during lunch and pounded a couple . Imagine my quality control !
    And the newer generation ? Forgetta bout it !

#108 3 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Then drain it.....problem solved.

#109 3 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

What'd you expect? A statement from Gary saying we know were shipping defective product but as long as you junkies keep buying we'll keep taking your money. Or maybe you were looking for; pinball is hard, if you don't know how to fix a brand new $10,000 toy you shouldn't f"n buy it.
    I say go jump off a fucking cliff. No other industry gets away with shipping broken product and gets away with it. Lotsa stuff has moving parts and arrives in working order.

[Comment Removed]

Temporary thread eject incoming so please quote me so I could get a chuckle in the future if and when I'm allowed back.

#110 3 years ago
    Quoted from tp:

What'd you expect? No other industry gets away with shipping broken product and gets away with it.

Recreational Vehicles. They can't build them fast enough and there are tons of issues with all of them.

#111 3 years ago

I still cannot believe anyone here is giving this guy shit. What is wrong with you people? Here is a new pinball guy who decides he wants a NIB machine for his personal use. According to some here, before this guy ever buys a machine, he needs to be proficient in care, maintenance, and repair before he ever buys a machine. Someone new, who wants into this hobby with new machines, not projects or 2nd hand, should have reasonable expectations that his or her $6K to $12K purchase works properly out of the box. If it doesn't, there should be at minimum a phone tech support to help with issues or to determine the next move. I have a NIB Deadpool sitting here for 3 weeks. When I open and set it up Friday, if there any issues, I can guarantee my dist. will be all over it. It's appalling that the attitude from some of you is if you are new to pinball, how dare you buy a new machine in the box? Seems like a bit of jealousy that some do not have to start at the $300 rat trap project to start off as a pinball owner.

Next is some of you giving the guy shit because he could not really explain the problems up to "pinside expectations or standards". For Christ's sake, I have customers who have been driving for 30 years that wouldn't know the difference between an oil dipstick and a tire jack. What do I do? TAKE CARE OF THEM!

Sorry, but some of you are full of Pinside snobbery and need to get over your so called pinball owner expertise.

#112 3 years ago
    Quoted from seeburg220:

Recreational Vehicles. They can't build them fast enough and there are tons of issues with all of them.

Correct. I've been on a string of bad luck where just about everything I've gotten has been borked out of the box. Two boxes of Game of Thrones 4k discs had to go back to Amazon alone, and don't get me started on how many times I've had to return home improvement stuff. I'm not sure if COVID is having an effect on quality of goods but it seems to be a problem right now, and not just in pinball.

#113 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I still cannot believe anyone here is giving this guy shit. What is wrong with you people? Here is a new pinball guy who decides he wants a NIB machine for his personal use. According to some here, before this guy ever buys a machine, he needs to be proficient in care, maintenance, and repair before he ever buys a machine. Someone new, who wants into this hobby with new machines, not projects or 2nd hand, should have reasonable expectations that his or her $6K to $12K purchase works properly out of the box. If it doesn't, there should be at minimum a phone tech support to help with issues or to determine the next move. I have a NIB Deadpool sitting here for 3 weeks. When I open and set it up Friday, if there any issues, I can guarantee my dist. will be all over it. It's appalling that the attitude from some of you is if you are new to pinball, how dare you buy a new machine in the box? Seems like a bit of jealousy that some do not have to start at the $300 rat trap project to start off as a pinball owner.
    Next is some of you giving the guy shit because he could not really explain the problems up to "pinside expectations or standards". For Christ's sake, I have customers who have been driving for 30 years that wouldn't know the difference between an oil dipstick and a tire jack. What do I do? TAKE CARE OF THEM!
    Sorry, but some of you are full of Pinside snobbery and need to get over your so called pinball owner expertise.

Whoa whoa whoa

While I dont disagree that this hobby is filled with snobby a-holes, the op just dove head first into a very technical and finicky hobby. Many here did try to help him, and op's responses were often times elusive. I'd say it would be best for him to start into the hobby with a few used machines and get accustomed to working on them before diving into brand new territory.

#114 3 years ago

Well, I predicted things would go south for the OP in the second post...and I'm sorry they did. There are four facts at play here:

1. Stern tech support sucks, especially since Chas passed. If you don't have a great distributor that will sort out problems for you--and quickly--you're basically up shit's creek.

2. The machines SHOULD arrive in perfect playing condition--as ALL products should be in perfect condition upon arrival. But it's a fact of life that that doesn't always happen, unfortunately.

3. You can usually find answers to your problems on Pinside faster than trying to get an answer from Stern or a distro. Should you have to? Of course not. But it IS sometimes faster. The OP never even told us what games he was talking about or posted a picture. I'm pretty sure all the smart guys here would have had an answer for him in minutes.

4. If none of the things I said above make sense to you, then this hobby may not be the one for you. You have to be ready to roll your sleeves up or have someone on speed dial that can talk you through these things. I was lucky enough to have LTG guide me in my early days, but most don't have that luxury.

I can actually see both sides of the argument with this one.

#115 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Whoa whoa whoa
    While I dont disagree that this hobby is filled with snobby a-holes, the op just dove head first into a very technical and finicky hobby. Many here did try to help him, and op's responses were often times elusive. I'd say it would be best for him to start into the hobby with a few used machines and get accustomed to working on them before diving into brand new territory.

Yes. And the original poster just dumped a turd. With no photos, still no compelling description or evidence, and gotten people spun up on Stern=Bad.

#116 3 years ago

Next time buy it from a reputable dealer...

Allow them to open it and set it up and test everything even if they charge you something to do that. They can always re-box it and send it out.

Problem solved.

#117 3 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Allow them to open it and set it up and test everything even if they charge you something to do that. They can always re-box it and send it out.
    Problem solved.

There isn’t likely to be a next time if this is a typical experience. How is a potential NiB buyer supposed to know that prior to purchase?

I think distributors need to do a better job but as the OP pointed out if you don’t like your local options it can really be problematic when you need support.

#118 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Well, I predicted things would go south for the OP in the second post...and I'm sorry they did. There are four facts at play here:
    1. Stern tech support sucks, especially since Chas passed. If you don't have a great distributor that will sort out problems for you--and quickly--you're basically up shit's creek.
    2. The machines SHOULD arrive in perfect playing condition--as ALL products should be in perfect condition upon arrival. But it's a fact of life that that doesn't always happen, unfortunately.
    3. You can usually find answers to your problems on Pinside faster than trying to get an answer from Stern or a distro. Should you have to? Of course not. But it IS sometimes faster. The OP never even told us what games he was talking about or posted a picture. I'm pretty sure all the smart guys here would have had an answer for him in minutes.
    4. If none of the things I said above make sense to you, then this hobby may not be the one for you. You have to be ready to roll your sleeves up or have someone on speed dial that can talk you through these things. I was lucky enough to have LTG guide me in my early days, but most don't have that luxury.
    I can actually see both sides of the argument with this one.

Yeah, Stern tech support does seem kinda flaky and not very straightforward all the time. That being said, when I contacted stern about an issue I was having with my SWPRO, I did have one of the game's coders reach out personally through pinside PM. We had a detailed back-and-forth conversation which was very helpful. Now I also posted a pinside thread about my problems, so I'm not sure exactly how/where the stern employee found me. Either way, it was cool to talk to one of Stern's coders personally, and it was a surprising level of helpfulness. Although, getting an official response through Stern's tech support would have also been nice.

#119 3 years ago
    Quoted from tp:

[Comment Removed]

LOL! What!?!?!?!?

#120 3 years ago
    Quoted from tp:

What'd you expect? A statement from Gary saying we know were shipping defective product but as long as you junkies keep buying we'll keep taking your money. Or maybe you were looking for; pinball is hard, if you don't know how to fix a brand new $10,000 toy you shouldn't f"n buy it.
    I say go jump off a fucking cliff. No other industry gets away with shipping broken product and gets away with it. Lotsa stuff has moving parts and arrives in working order.
    [Comment Removed]
    Temporary thread eject incoming so please quote me so I could get a chuckle in the future if and when I'm allowed back.

This Is Exactly Why I Have A Cup Of Joe Before I Start Posting. Lol

#121 3 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Problem solved.

Yep, but just as important is a dealer that really close by...which might not be easy in some locations.

Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

How is a potential NiB buyer supposed to know that prior to purchase?
    I think distributors need to do a better job but as the OP pointed out if you don’t like your local options it can really be problematic when you need support.

You talk to the dealer? Back in 2004, I had the choice of buying my LOTR at Sharper Image or Pinball Warehouse. I didn't trust Sharper Image for support, so I called Pinball Warehouse and was impressed by the owner (Evan Steiner, IIRC).

fwiw, back then, I would barely take the glass off and depended on Evan for any repairs. Over the next 16+ years, acquired a ton of experience fixing these beasts. Takes time to become proficient, and again, for really busy people, they don't have the time!

#122 3 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

Yep, but just as important is a dealer that really close by...which might not be easy in some locations.

You talk to the dealer? Back in 2004, I had the choice of buying my LOTR at Sharper Image or Pinball Warehouse. I didn't trust Sharper Image for support, so I called Pinball Warehouse and was impressed by the owner (Evan Steiner, IIRC).
    fwiw, back then, I would barely take the glass off and depended on Evan for any repairs. Over the next 16+ years, acquired a ton of experience fixing these beasts. Takes time to become proficient, and again, for really busy people, they don't have the time!

Yes, they don't have the time, or as the OP stated, don't want to learn to repair. I happen to sort of enjoy troubleshooting ( when it goes my way and doesn't lead me down a rabbit hole ), but I get how some people would just want to play a game and not center their life around it. I have a car, that doesn't mean I want to know how to adjust the valves, so I sort of see where he is coming from. Unfortunately for me, these pins are pretty much on my mind all friggin day. Right now I'm staring out the window waiting for UPS to bring my colordmd

#123 3 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

This is very true and its also a fact that most people dont support their local dealers anyways and will buy wherever is cheapest.

If you are drop shipping a NIB game to your house from anyone you barely know you are assuming that risk IMO.

For anyone new to the hobby as I said buy local and have them set it up and test it for you.

Or ask the dealer to do this if they are remote... if they say no then move on.

#124 3 years ago

This is what makes it a difficult hobby for the casual buyer
    If Stern and other's want pinball to expand and go more mainstream, they will have to up their initial quality and make it more like other products consumers buy when a warranty repair is needed.

#125 3 years ago

I understand where you are coming from OP. I bought a NIb Munsters LE and an opto was bad on the lower PF. This was not a wire that came loose in transit and should have easily been caught with proper QC. I can do some basic repairs but was not comfortable since this was on the lower PF so paid my local place to switch out the opto. Chaz was awesome helping me detect the issue, but I was bummed my new $9k toy was not registering the lower PF shots out of the box. At that point i decided that is my last nib pin. Lot of very knowledgeable and talented people on here that this stuff does not bother them so I will start buying as 2nd or 3rd owner after things like this are fixed, save a chunk of change and have some extra money for repairs I cannot handle if needed.

#126 3 years ago

While I haven't had many issues on a Stern NIB machine, I have had a few with CGC.

#1: In my MMR, the Castle tower had a bit of the plastic flashing that needed to be trimmed, as the ball got hung up in there about 30% of the time. I put in a ticket and trimmed the plastic and the ball stopped being hung up. I told them in my ticket that I trimmed the part and it now worked fine. The next day after putting in the ticket, Doug Duba started the process to get me a new part. It came a few days later.

#2: My AFMr was damaged during shipment, I refused delivery and call my Distributor. In a few weeks I had a new machine coming off a truck.

#3: While not as bad some people experienced, I did have an issue with my decal on my Monster Bash. I never did submit a ticket at CGC.

The left edge of my side art was peeling back, about 1-inch below the lock down bar.

I had posted here on Pinside (post #1520 on Monster Bash Remake (MBr) Owners Club) to see if anyone else had an issue.

I was contacted via PM by Doug Duba to which I PM'd him back. He apparently reads Pinside.

A few hours later (on a Saturday late afternoon California time) Doug called me at home to discuss the issue. I explained and told him I had pushed the side art back down with the blunt edge of a razor blade and would let him know how that worked out. I also put on flipper button "half-moon" shaped plastic protectors. The protectors kept any hands from rubbing that area directly when playing a game.

Had several people play the game over that Christmas and the decal stayed stuck. So I emailed Doug that I considered the issue solved and that I required no further assistance. He thanked me in an email reply.

So I can say that in my experience, CGC's customer service is great!

So, good after sale service can be done by a pinball manufacturer...and CGC seems to be that manufacturer (for me).

Robert

#127 3 years ago

Don't shoot the messenger...

#128 3 years ago
    Quoted from BMHouze:

I feel your pain.

Stern didn't price Heavy Metal, the licensor chose that price.

#129 3 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

There isn’t likely to be a next time if this is a typical experience. How is a potential NiB buyer supposed to know that prior to purchase?

5AD5D35A-6876-4705-92FF-B64F4EC421C5 (resized).png5AD5D35A-6876-4705-92FF-B64F4EC421C5 (resized).png
    #130 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

While I haven't had many issues on a Stern NIB machine, I have had a few with CGC.
    #1: In my MMR, the Castle tower had a bit of the plastic flashing that needed to be trimmed, as the ball got hung up in there about 30% of the time. I put in a ticket and trimmed the plastic and the ball stopped being hung up. I told them in my ticket that I trimmed the part and it now worked fine. The next day after putting in the ticket, Doug Duba started the process to get me a new part. It came a few days later.
    #2: My AFMr was damaged during shipment, I refused delivery and call my Distributor. In a few weeks I had a new machine coming off a truck.
    #3: While not as bad some people experienced, I did have an issue with my decal on my Monster Bash. I never did submit a ticket at CGC.
    The left edge of my side art was peeling back, about 1-inch below the lock down bar.
    I had posted here on Pinside (post #1520 on Monster Bash Remake (MBr) Owners Club) to see if anyone else had an issue.
    I was contacted via PM by Doug Duba to which I PM'd him back. He apparently reads Pinside.
    A few hours later (on a Saturday late afternoon California time) Doug called me at home to discuss the issue. I explained and told him I had pushed the side art back down with the blunt edge of a razor blade and would let him know how that worked out. I also put on flipper button "half-moon" shaped plastic protectors. The protectors kept any hands from rubbing that area directly when playing a game.
    Had several people play the game over that Christmas and the decal stayed stuck. So I emailed Doug that I considered the issue solved and that I required no further assistance. He thanked me in an email reply.
    So I can say that in my experience, CGC's customer service is great!
    So, good after sale service can be done by a pinball manufacturer...and CGC seems to be that manufacturer (for me).
    Robert

Just wanted to say my experience with CGC was exactly the same. Doug FaceTimed me to diagnose an issue with my MMR where it wouldn’t boot. Something went wrong in the DMD that was causing the issue and they sent me a whole new CP the next day. Top notch service from CGC.

#131 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I still cannot believe anyone here is giving this guy shit. What is wrong with you people?

It's the pinball version of Stockholm syndrome. The turning point was when stern had people make a video begging to purchase a batman 66. Stern knew they had enough junkies that QA could take a back seat. This victim blaming thread only solidified that.

#132 3 years ago

I've been in the "hobby" long enough to understand the reality of buying a NIB machine. It is generally accepted that there is a special set of rules and you are expected to magically know these rules. Pinball manufactures are not held to the same standard of any other product. It's really that simple. The mindset is you are lucky you got to buy one so take what you get. They way new people are treated amazes me. I have never seen a hobby that is so open with the you are not welcome. One on one and if you can get a chat going people are super helpful. I have never met someone in person that wasn't welcoming. That being said this forum is kinda overrun with grumpy old fanboys hostile to anyone new. I will just never buy NIB, this is the only hobby that used is a not only a way better deal, buying used is way less hassle and you get a way more dependable product. If you are new to the hobby never buy NIB, let someone "in the hobby" deal with all that shit. People will buy new get a shit product spend months fighting to get it sorted out, then sell it at a discount only so they can turn around and buy the next new pin and put up with all the shit all over again.

#133 3 years ago
    Quoted from BMHouze:

I feel your pain.

Did you research HM before you bought?

You cant blame Stern on this. Its a contract game and the owners of Heavy Metal magazine set the price, not Stern.

#134 3 years ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Did you research HM before you bought?
    You cant blame Stern on this. Its a contract game and the owners of Heavy Metal magazine set the price, not Stern.

And it's based on "The Pin" so it inherently has less to offer than a cornerstone game. Sorry the guy is not happy, but comparing it to Aerosmith is just apples to oranges. And to be brutally honest, Aerosmith is not even one of Sterns better games.

#135 3 years ago

Spooky has great service. I’ve had no problem with Stern either it sometimes takes a few calls but more often than not they’ll help you out. Imo the op wanted white glove service but didn’t want to pay for local dealer who might have been in a better position to assist.

#136 3 years ago

Stern really doesn’t go the extra mile tho it’ll get you a working pin but often won’t ask how your feeling or hold your hand.

I bought a $20 battery for an iPhone and I got an email asking how I liked it and was everything satisfying?

I buy a $8000 pin from Stern that might have software bugs and I’ll write and write and not even get a reply. Never would someone at Stern ask if I was happy with the purchase and was everything satisfactory.

#137 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

There are two major forms of "Pinside snobbery" and you have effectively squashed the first kind which is to blame the victim for a bad NIB experience.

Quoted from vdojaq:

Seems like a bit of jealousy that some do not have to start at the $300 rat trap project to start off as a pinball owner.

HOWEVER, you perpetuated the other type of Pinside snobbery by talking about who can or cannot supposedly afford a NIB game as the only possible explanation for why someone might object to the OP's post.

#138 3 years ago

We all have our own experience. I've been into pinball for 5 or 6 years now, currently own 3 pins, and have owned and sold another. I just purchased my first NIB pin back in September which was a Stern Jurassic Park Premium from Classic Game Rooms out of Georgia. In my case, I could not have been happier with both the distributor and the product.

Jason at CGR was very competitive, kept open communication throughout the process (took a few months due to production schedule), and was responsive to all of my inquiries (even though I'm sure I bugged him to death). The pin arrived in perfect condition, but one of the Stern accessories I ordered was missing some parts. Jason handled things very quickly, and I soon received a package from Stern containing everything I needed. I don't question those who have had negative support experiences, as I've not attempted to communicate with Stern directly. However, when working through my distributor their response was quick and to my satisfaction.

#139 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Classic Game Rooms out of Georgia

Jason is AWESOME!

I am glad he is less than a 2 hour round trip for me. (always takes 3 hours though, we normally talk for a hour when I am there).

#140 3 years ago

Whether you buy new in box or buy a game off craigslist, sooner or later (probably sooner) it will need repair.
    OP got his money back on first one. In the end i see that as a wash .
    The coin mech, well it should all work out of the box but things dont always go well. It is a complicated machine that was shipped.
    The distributor should open them and test them but what about those box opening parties.
    You will either need to learn fix at least the small stuff or put the local service guy on speed dial.

If i am disappointed with some product or company, i generally dont go right back and try them again. But thats just me.

#141 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

The distributor should open them and test them

My AIQ prem. was shipped direct from Stern -distributor never touches it. = Free shipping ! Open every new game and test it - Oh please . Ain't nobody got time for that !

#142 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Nobody is going to be able to fill Chas's shoes, that guy knew his pinball. I don't know how long he was with stern, but I saw him listed as stern tech support in my sharkeys shootout manual.
    Currently, Pablo does a really good job, he is diligent and if he didn't know he's always gotten back to me. Maybe things have changed in the last couple of months?

#143 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

1. Make some friends that can repair games.
    2. Buy them food.
    3. Never worry about this again.

4. Provide alcohol.
    5. Have dancing girls in the background.

#144 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Some of the super Stern Army members react like this if you bring up any quality issues...

dont_you_say_that_billy_madison.gifdont_you_say_that_billy_madison.gif

#145 3 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Some of the super Stern Army members react like this if you bring up any quality issues...
    [quoted image]

Just stop. I had more quality issues with my WOZ than with any other game. I don't smear JJP because of it. It is what it is.

#146 3 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

[quoted image]

I’m convinced some of these guys are paid by both sides, Stern and JJP.

#147 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Stern really doesn’t go the extra mile tho it’ll get you a working pin but often won’t ask how your feeling or hold your hand.
    I bought a $20 battery for an iPhone and I got an email asking how I liked it and was everything satisfying?
    I buy a $8000 pin from Stern that might have software bugs and I’ll write and write and not even get a reply. Never would someone at Stern ask if I was happy with the purchase and was everything satisfactory.

Thing is Stern is a manufacturer not a retailer. You do not typically buy your pins directly from then. That's the distributor's job. I would be bothered if Stern got hold of my contact info from someone else. Distributors should be taken care of their customers but it seems some do a much better job at that than others. I'm guessing some distributors focus on clients that buy a lot of games and not the ones that buy a game every now and then. That said, Stern should really reply to emails or tech questions. Doesn't take much to at least say "we will look into it" or some generic response.

Btw - I get annoyed with companies that feel they have to contact you every time you buy one of their products. I bought a guitar amp for my daughter last Christmas from this online store. They immediately started flooding me with emails asking how it's going, if needed lessons, if I like it, etc. They even started calling on my phone and leaving voice messages. There needs to be a checkbox when buying anything online for "leave me alone".

#148 3 years ago

Ok,here's another Stern story!!A couple years ago,I bought a nib B66LE! I always buy from Gameroomguys,cause they will stand by you>upon setting up the pin to play, noticed the turntable not turning, not working at all! In fact, the T.V.was just sitting there with no screws to hold it in place! This nib Stern was truly F.....,up!!!Called a tech I know who deals with Stern,and within 3 days Gameroomguys sent me a new turntable from Stern,AND payed for the whole repair!Bottom line is NO QC from Stern at all> sad but true!!!

#149 3 years ago

The demand for home pins keeps on climbing...Stern is the only volume producer of pins. To keep up with demand, quality suffers and code is alpha/beta upon release. "We" have become the extended QA department. Can't tell you how many times I would discover/fix a problem that Stern support was clueless about. The only thing that is shocking is how outdated the Stern support "organization" is...not even a defect tracking system that we can submit issues.

#150 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I agree. Not everyone has to be savvy on how to fix a game. I use to buy nearly every new Stern release. These are designed for an arcade not some delicate surgery center room. That said the quality does suck in recent years. It started with Ghost Busters. The last great playfield quality that didn’t look like a moon crater was in 2011. What changed?? One can compare by looking at the games as they sit next to each other. Each of my Star Wars LE’s had chunks come off the playfield from “Chipping”. JP LE was always broken and with major issues. I have zero issues with my older stern games. Issue is market is hot and there are buyers who pay full price so Stern has no need to improve. I will say Stern has always taken care of the issues except some of the playfield issues even out of warranty. Yes they need to fix their model as in the long run they are missing more sales from buyers like me. I am afraid to buy NIB. I had great experience with cgc, jjp abs stern. I have had bad experiences with all. Stern is for sure the best of the three. I will never buy another CGC game again. These games always come out with “beta” code.

There are 284 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-a-nib-stern-sucks-and-i-really-want-to-like-it/page/3?hl=quadrider and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.