Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 149 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Strummy
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ricky2 (resized).jpeg
    81BC13F6-234E-4862-860E-697377A8031B.gif
    There are 149 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 2 years ago

I just spent a week almost emailing Pinballs.com for a machine. I get people are busy and it's the time of year but seriously I don't get why people can't communicate more than once or twice a day. I was a cop for awhile and it's like interrogating a suspect. Hey what do you have in stock, hours later...this stuff. Cool what's the diff. between the pro and premium? hours later...Stern flyer attachment. Like come on man I finally sent and email just saying I'm looking elsewhere this is taking too long THEN dude starts emailing me just to tell me good luck. I've never had to work so hard to spend money in my life.

#2 2 years ago

#3 2 years ago

Well I mean the info IS on the flyer.
    And the website
    And youtube
    And pinside.

You might have to do a little detective worry Occifer

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well I mean the info IS on rhe flyer.

It's not about the flyer reply it's about waiting hours for an answer and it drags on days. I emailed another distributor at like 4pm my time and had it squared away in 30 mins. He answered all my questions and is sending me and invoice. He actually answers emails though...

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well I mean the info IS on rhe flyer.
    And rhe website
    And youtube
    And pinside.
    You might have to do a little detective worry Occifer

I guess I'm not allowed to ask someone in the business of selling pinball machines about the product? Got it.

#6 2 years ago

There are only a couple of distributors worth a dang and you probably found one of them.

#7 2 years ago

Well maybe the other salesman was making sales, or delivering a machine, or fixing a machine for somebody.

Quoted from rue_:

I guess I'm not allowed to ask someone in the business of selling pinball machines about the product? Got it.

Ah you can, but just can already tell you might be too thin skinned for this business.

#8 2 years ago

Great thread! Thanks for sharing.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from rue_:

that's not the case. you did nothing wrong. you should be able to get your questions answered in a timely manner if someone wants to earn your business. especially for such an expensive item. unfortunately, getting that level of service sometimes takes some trial and error. sounds like you resolved it.

#10 2 years ago

Dude. Distributors have waiting lists full of people wanting to buy games that haven't even been announced yet. They have zero issues selling machines and are busy dealing with people who have already given them money. They definitely do not have time to answer tire kicker questions about information that is readily available on multiple places on the internet, including the manufacturers website.

If you have to email distributors to get information about the differences between pros and premiums, but somehow still have time to complain on the internet about it, maybe pinball isn't for you.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well maybe the other salesman was making sales, or delivering a machine, or fixing a machine for somebody.

Ah you can, but just can already tell you might be too thin skinned for this business.

Countdown to the “Owning a new machine sucks” thread when something doesn’t work.

#12 2 years ago

It has been said before, but bears repeating: BUYING PINBALL MACHINES IS UNLIKE BUYING ANY OTHER CONSUMER GOODS!

I don't entirely blame the buyers, because the industry markets pinball alongside other "luxury" items and I think this leads some inexperienced buyers to expect that they will receive the kind of hand-holding "concierge" service and rapid resolution of problems that they have come to expect with other expensive discretionary purchases, and I understand why they would be taken aback by the seemingly ambivalent treatment they received (as the OP said, he never thought he would have to work so hard to spend his money).

Additionally, many distributors have been in business for decades and I imagine some have had difficulty adjusting to the changes in the market. Up until probably 10-15 years ago (maybe sooner, I don't have the numbers) the vast majority of pinballs were bought by operators, who have decidedly different "customer support" needs than a consumer buying for the home. Operators don't really typically need a lot of help or "support", they just need to be able to order parts and maybe get a schematic; they also (this is a big one) don't get hung up on minor cosmetic flaws like home buyers do, as no one dropping quarters in a bar/arcade/etc. is going to notice (or care).

That being said, Automated is a stand-up company in my experience; I am sure they are simply swamped at the moment, like everyone else it seems.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I just wanted a couple of questions answered. Not a huge deal, didn't think it would take a week. Thin-skinned? lol, you def. don't know me well.

Quoted from porkcarrot:

Dude. Distributors have waiting lists full of people wanting to buy games that haven't even been announced yet. They have zero issues selling machines and are busy dealing with people who have already given them money. They definitely do not have time to answer tire kicker questions about information that is readily available on multiple places on the internet, including the manufacturers website.
    If you have to email distributors to get information about the differences between pros and premiums, but somehow still have time to complain on the internet about it, maybe pinball isn't for you.

That was one question, you're missing the point. I also asked questions related to shipping cost, time, etc.. Definitely not a tire kicker. I've had a credit card ready for the guy for two days now.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

It has been said before, but bears repeating: BUYING PINBALL MACHINES IS UNLIKE BUYING ANY OTHER CONSUMER GOODS!
    I don't entirely blame the buyers, because the industry markets pinball alongside other "luxury" items and I think this leads some inexperienced buyers to expect that they will receive the kind of hand-holding "concierge" service and rapid resolution of problems that they have come to expect with other expensive discretionary purchases, and I understand why they would be taken aback by the seemingly ambivalent treatment they received (as the OP said, he never thought he would have to work so hard to spend his money).
    Additionally, many distributors have been in business for decades and I imagine some have had difficulty adjusting to the changes in the market. Up until probably 10-15 years ago (maybe sooner, I don't have the numbers) the vast majority of pinballs were bought by operators, who have decidedly different "customer support" needs than a consumer buying for the home. Operators don't really typically need a lot of help or "support", they just need to be able to order parts and maybe get a schematic; they also (this is a big one) don't get hung up on minor cosmetic flaws like home buyers do, as no one dropping quarters in a bar/arcade/etc. is going to notice (or care).
    That being said, Automated is a stand-up company in my experience; I am sure they are simply swamped at the moment, like everyone else it seems.

I was an operator in CA a decade ago. Had 47 machines on route. I planned on building a route up at the first of the year. I'm definitely not some casual pin player looking for a machine for my man cave. I don't need "hand-holding" or any such treatment. What I need is a distributor that can tell me what they have physical possession of in stock, how much that is, how much is shipping to my shop, how long that is estimated to take, etc.. If you think a week to answer these questions is hand holding I don't what to say. It's not normal business in any other industry. We could have had a deal done the first day if the guy would have been responsive. It took about 45mins with another distributor that actually replies.

#15 2 years ago

I was 1st run on Godzilla Premium day 1 and still dont have a machine, deposit was put day 1 as well. Was told February March time frame that was it via email.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from porkcarrot:

As a relative newbie to pinball, I still don't understand this. A distributor "doesn't have time" for a potentially new customer with questions? What are distributors so busy doing that they "don't have time" to promptly answer a few questions for a potential new customer. Someone who might also become a lifetime loyal customer?

It seems absurd that *any* business owner in *any* industry wouldn't want a new sale. Especially if you are selling something with a 5-figure price tag. Regardless of "how different" pinball is from other things, it's simply bad business.

I bought my first Ford when I was 16. The dealer and salesperson couldn't have been nicer. And now I'm a Ford fan for life. Why should pinball be so different?

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from rue_:

I just spent a week almost emailing Pinballs.com for a machine. I get people are busy and it's the time of year but seriously I don't get why people can't communicate more than once or twice a day. I was a cop for awhile and it's like interrogating a suspect. Hey what do you have in stock, hours later...this stuff. Cool what's the diff. between the pro and premium? hours later...Stern flyer attachment. Like come on man I finally sent and email just saying I'm looking elsewhere this is taking too long THEN dude starts emailing me just to tell me good luck. I've never had to work so hard to spend money in my life.

Unfortunately this is a hobby where you have to put some energy into it to get what you want out of it. Itll take some time you but review this forum and spend time googling stuff. This will all fall into place.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from rue_:

I just wanted a couple of questions answered. Not a huge deal, didn't think it would take a week. Thin-skinned? lol, you def. don't know me well.

That was one question, you're missing the point. I also asked questions related to shipping cost, time, etc.. Definitely not a tire kicker. I've had a credit card ready for the guy for two days now.

Why didn't you make a phone call. Email doesn't come off as terribly serious. Get him on the phone, or message, tell him you are serious and ready to buy. Ask your questions, make your order. Treat it like the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from FamDocKevin:

As a relative newbie to pinball...

Then let me give you some very valuable advice..

Quoted from FamDocKevin:

I bought my first Ford when I was 16. The dealer and salesperson ...

Pinballs ARE NOTHING LIKE CARS.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from rue_:

hours later...

OH MY GOD! HOURS!
    How can this evil maltreatment ever be atoned. All pinball questions from potential tire kickers must be answered INSTANTLY.
    In fact, the poor schmoe on the other end should anticipate all your potential questions and immediately infobomb your inbox with potentially relevant data.
    No worker should ever have any more important task than to IMMEDIATELY answer any and all queries from folks they have never heard of before, and 90% of the time will never hear from again.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from FamDocKevin:

As a relative newbie to pinball, I still don't understand this. A distributor "doesn't have time" for a potentially new customer with questions? What are distributors so busy doing that they "don't have time" to promptly answer a few questions for a potential new customer. Someone who might also become a lifetime loyal customer?
    It seems absurd that *any* business owner in *any* industry wouldn't want a new sale. Especially if you are selling something with a 5-figure price tag. Regardless of "how different" pinball is from other things, it's simply bad business.
    I bought my first Ford when I was 16. The dealer and salesperson couldn't have been nicer. And now I'm a Ford fan for life. Why should pinball be so different?

Competition. Need. Seriousness of buyers.

I'm not a distributor, I'm a guy who occasionally sells machines when I want to buy a different one. And I can't tell you the number of people I have talked to who "are thinking about buying a machine." I can't imagine what it is like for a distributor. And given how little stock they have right now for known customers, if I were them I wouldn't waste any time on potential new customers either. 5 years ago, sure that was important. But right now there are far more buyers than machines. They don't have to worry about maybe annoying someone who might possibly buy a machine and then who knows maybe someday buying more.

Sorry if it makes new people feel bad, but this is a terrible time to get into the hobby. Demand is high, supply is low, and no one is sympathetic that it is hard for you to spend your money.

#22 2 years ago

Buying NIB pinballs is hard.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from rue_:

I've never had to work so hard to spend money in my life.

Get a couple project pin restorations started and you won't believe how easy the money flies. It will feel like your CC has wings!

#24 2 years ago

Email was never designed for immediate communication. If you need an immediate response I would always pick up a phone first.

#25 2 years ago

Haven't ever contacted pinballs.com, but the distributors I have talked to were all very prompt and courteous. With that said isn't pinballs.com the largest distributor? I'm guessing the inventory on their website is very up-to-date to try and alleviate your exact initial question. Shipping cost and other questions are all ancillary once you tell them you want to buy X game.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from Blake:

Get a couple project pin restorations started and you won't believe how easy the money flies. It will feel like your CC has wings!

Been there several times. I've owned plenty of pins. Try a classic car or a modern Toyota truck. I just dropped 4K on a shortblock for a Tacoma.

Quoted from RCA1:

OH MY GOD! HOURS!
    How can this evil maltreatment ever be atoned. All pinball questions from potential tire kickers must be answered INSTANTLY.
    In fact, the poor schmoe on the other end should anticipate all your potential questions and immediately infobomb your inbox with potentially relevant data.
    No worker should ever have any more important task than to IMMEDIATELY answer any and all queries from folks they have never heard of before, and 90% of the time will never hear from again.

Ya hours between questions stretched to a week. Honestly if the guy would have emailed he didn't have time to email back and forth it would have been better.

#27 2 years ago

Flipnout and pinball pirate have great cs. Some distributors are stressed out and don’t care anymore.

#28 2 years ago

This is nothing ,try getting a question answered at Menards .

#29 2 years ago

Just call the guy. Why play the email game? I am sure distros get emails from flakes all day long. How do they know you aren't one of them.

#30 2 years ago

For what it's worth, I contact distributors the old fashion way. Telephone.

I've had no problems with Automated- Pinballs.com. I might have to wait until Mike finishes his call but bang, it gets results.

Good luck.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

Just call the guy. Why play the email game? I am sure distros get emails from flakes all day long. How do they know you aren't one of them.

OCD is alive and well in this hobby .I can only imagine how many emails and calls they get .

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from jkashani:

Great thread! Thanks for sharing.

pinball vendors are original gangstas

#33 2 years ago

Pinball.com/Automated are terrible. The only reason they sometimes have more stock than others is because they price gouge, and their customer service is terrible.

#34 2 years ago

Zach at Flip N Out Pinball answered a couple emailed questions from me at 9-10pm at night last month, when I was guessing I'd hear back in a day or so... True, they were stock and ordering prices questions, and not quite to the level of the things I should research separately like Pro vs Prem, but still.

Ordered and received my GZ Pro from him - got texts promptly with shipping info, etc. He was also quite open and honest about production date estimates for a couple titles I was also considering. Definitely recommended for anyone else looking for a good distributor.

Pinballs.com have struck me as price gougers on more than one occasion - forget them...

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from seenev:Pinball.com/Automated are terrible. The only reason they sometimes have more stock than others is because they price gouge, and their customer service is terrible.

What's funny is in 45 mins. I contacted another company, got a better price on the machine and free shipping on top of that. I didn't have to beg them for their business.

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from rue_:

What's funny is in 45 mins. I contacted another company, got a better price on the machine and free shipping on top of that. I didn't have to beg them for their business.

Then why are you here complaining?

#37 2 years ago

wouldn't recommend pinballs.com anyway. you dodged a bullet

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from beltking:

Flipnout and pinball pirate have great cs. Some distributors are stressed out and don’t care anymore.

+1 for Pinball Pirate. Bought a Namco arcade machine from Chris and his associates. Had an issue with the PCB (it died) a couple months after purchase and he was very helpful at getting the issue resolved, and his shop was halfway across the country from me.

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from porkcarrot:

Then why are you here complaining?

Cause I felt like it

#41 2 years ago

There is a difference between wanting something now and a business with crappy customer service. Sorry you can't tell the difference.

#42 2 years ago

Try picking up the phone, I never get all this email bullshit. You get more out of a phone call then going back and fourth with emails. I bought 8 pinballs from Mike at Pinballs. Always a great phone call speaking to him directly with all my questions.

#43 2 years ago

FYI, Concerning the comment about Automated I was desperately looking to buy a DP premium last may. No one had them and they did.

Now Stern delayed production and had a price increase.

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from rue_:

Did they have the game in stock?

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from rue_:

There is a difference between wanting something now and a business with crappy customer service. Sorry you can't tell the difference.

Who is the company that gave the good service? Would be good to know.

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from rue_:

Most likely the guy has more business than he can fulfill at this point so selling isn't his primary concern. I'd say do all your research and only reach out when y you're asking specifics about his operation or ready to buy and know fairly well what you want.

That begin said I do hate slow e-mail responses so I'm with you on that! Took me like 3 emails to ever get a response out of Stern each time and it's frustrating.

#47 2 years ago

For me, buying a new machine is nothing but Exciting. I say just Be happy you are fortunate enough to be in the position to be able to buy a new machine for your home - many cant.

#48 2 years ago

It seems like you can count the people in this hobby who are actually content and enjoying themselves on one hand.

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from John-Floyd:

For me, buying a new machine is nothing but Exciting. I say just Be happy you are fortunate enough to be in the position to be able to buy a new machine for your home - many cant.

very true

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It seems like you can count the people in this hobby who are actually content and enjoying themselves on one hand.

Just remember the bigger the hobby gets the more this will feel true but it's not necessarily true. People are far more likely to post when they're unhappy than when everything went well and the nature of forums like this is that they're a place where people go when they want to complain or vent.

Also the nature of online forums. When online communities like this get to a certain size it's inevitable that the level of discourse falls because you have so many people who are new and haven't become familiar with what's discussed a lot already.

I guarantee there are thousands of people happily enjoying their pins who have no idea that there are people like us who analyze and discuss every little aspect of the hobby.

There are 149 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-a-new-machine-sucks?hl=eightball88 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.