Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 149 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Strummy
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ricky2 (resized).jpeg
    81BC13F6-234E-4862-860E-697377A8031B.gif
    There are 149 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 2 years ago

Well it’s good they didn’t get right back to you in 2 seconds because you would have ordered from them and missed out on the lower priced one with free shipping you bought. Brightside!

But I am a little confused how you were an op 10 years ago with 45 machines yet didn’t know any one of your old connections to contact about buying a new game??

#52 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Did they have the game in stock?</blockquote

Did they have the game in stock?

Ya, I bought a Godzilla pro w/DBA should be at my shop on Tuesday

#53 2 years ago
    Quoted from John-Floyd:

For me, buying a new machine is nothing but Exciting. I say just Be happy you are fortunate enough to be in the position to be able to buy a new machine for your home - many cant.

Not buying it for my home, it's going on route.

#54 2 years ago
    Quoted from mtp78:Try picking up the phone, I never get all this email bullshit. You get more out of a phone call then going back and fourth with emails. I bought 8 pinballs from Mike at Pinballs. Always a great phone call speaking to him directly with all my questions.

This! Pick up your damn phone if it can't wait. Most people who are busy running a small business aren't glued to their inbox all day waiting for a sales inquiry. Same day response is not bad at all.

#55 2 years ago
    Quoted from Anony:

Just remember the bigger the hobby gets the more this will feel true but it's not necessarily true. People are far more likely to post when they're unhappy than when everything went well and the nature of forums like this is that they're a place where people go when they want to complain or vent.
    Also the nature of online forums. When online communities like this get to a certain size it's inevitable that the level of discourse falls because you have so many people who are new and haven't become familiar with what's discussed a lot already.
    I guarantee there are thousands of people happily enjoying their pins who have no idea that there are people like us who analyze and discuss every little aspect of the hobby.

I think you're overthinking it. Did I want to vent? Sure. I own two businesses, one of which is this new coin op route. My main business I've had for 6 years. I've never ever not be reachable if someone has a question. I don't assume everyone knows my business or product. All I wanted was 5 mins. of the guys time so I could get my questions answered and decide if I wanted to move forward. Instead I got indifference, lazy communication, that went nowhere on his part. So it is what it is.
    Do I enjoy pinball as a hobby? Sure.. I wouldn't put one on route if I didn't like pinball. As a business the ROI on a pinball machine is terrible. I like pinball and want to see people experience the fun they bring.

Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Well it’s good they didn’t get right back to you in 2 seconds because you would have ordered from them and missed out on the lower priced one with free shipping you bought. Brightside!
    But I am a little confused how you were an op 10 years ago with 45 machines yet didn’t know any one of your old connections to contact about buying a new game??

2 seconds? More like a week...Its their loss I got a better deal in the long run.

I used to live in a different state/zone and bought from Betson West or got a lot used and from SuperAuctions back then. It's not confusing that was a different time and place then where I'm at now.

#56 2 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

This! Pick up your damn phone if it can't wait. Most people who are busy running a small business aren't glued to their inbox all day waiting for a sales inquiry. Same day response is not bad at all.

Many of these guys don't have games in stock. Rather email them all to find someone that has what I want then call when we need to close the deal. My time is valuable too. I'm also running a business.

#57 2 years ago

you were receiving replies that same day, I'd call that a win
    do you think there is someone at the distributors checking their e-mail every 5 minutes?

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

you were receiving replies that same day, I'd call that a win
    do you think there is someone at the distributors checking their e-mail every 5 minutes?

I don't know why so many of you are dead set on defending poor customer service. 5 mins? Did you read anything above your post? This went on almost a week. I called a new distributor last night and the machine is literally on the truck tonight as I got tracking for it. It took near no effort to get a sale.
    I guess I'm wrong though for like trying to buy something from a business that sells those things. I should have begged the guy to take my money.

#59 2 years ago

hey, I just know that one of our local distributors is just a business with three guys, I doubt they check their emails more than twice a day
    If I contact either a distributor or a part supplier, I will consider it good if I receive a reply within 24 hours

#60 2 years ago

I have purchased 3 machines from Tommy at Nitro Pinball. Always responsive. Great guy and will buy more from him.

#61 2 years ago

Some distributors are more motivated than others so they will check all modes of communication. Right now there is so much demand with such low stock of most NIB games it's mostly just answering an email with a depressing "out of stock and don't know when there will be any available", not much motivation when they have no product to sell at the moment.

#62 2 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

This is nothing ,try getting a question answered at Menards .

Menards hahaha that reminds me…They need to make a “Monster Squad” pinball.

81BC13F6-234E-4862-860E-697377A8031B.gif81BC13F6-234E-4862-860E-697377A8031B.gif
    #63 2 years ago

Zach at flipnout pinball is best I've dealt with. He's quick and best in the biz.

#64 2 years ago
    Quoted from rue_:

I just spent a week almost emailing Pinballs.com for a machine.

Automated Services is a company you want to phone contact. Always been like that. I got my MMR there.

#65 2 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Automated Services….I got my MMR there.

Thats why it took so long, theyre doing vaccines too!

#66 2 years ago
    Quoted from rue_:

I don't know why so many of you are dead set on defending poor customer service. 5 mins? Did you read anything above your post? This went on almost a week. I called a new distributor last night and the machine is literally on the truck tonight as I got tracking for it. It took near no effort to get a sale.
    I guess I'm wrong though for like trying to buy something from a business that sells those things. I should have begged the guy to take my money.

Your title doesn’t really speak to your experience here and your post simply says (paraphrased) ‘I emailed them, it took several hours to get reply, I emailed again, several hours for reply’ .. that’s all we got except this somehow went on for a week? So the reader is left filling in the blank — you had questions for a week and got two answers answered every day? Or you got two questions answered and got two replies then nothing for a week on a 3rd question?

All it sounds like is that you think a company should email you back answers to any questions you have at any time of the Work day in 5 minutes or so (give it take). That’s pretty ridiculous. But sounds like you found what you wanted in the end. Just pretty ridiculous expectations in general for email communication. Within 2-3 days I’d say is kind of expected. That’s great that you might run a company different, but I’d say that’s an exception not an expectation in the world. As many others stated, a phone call would have saved you a week and all the time posting this thread.

#67 2 years ago
    Quoted from rue_:

I guess I'm not allowed to ask someone in the business of selling pinball machines about the product? Got it.

You are,BUT they're allowed to lie to you. You are NOT allowed to lie to them. It's just the nature of the process.

#68 2 years ago

I’m torn on how to feel about this thread.
    On one hand I’m like “yeah, I’m sick of these guys in the business sucking at communicating with buyers!”

Then on the other hand I’m replaying what happened and wondering why this is a thread because of the summation:

“I tried to buy from someone
    They sucked
    I found someone better and got what I wanted
    And I’m still mad!”

Meanwhile a lot of us in the hobby have spent 100s to 1000s of dollars already and are still waiting on a product that isn’t on a truck yet with a tracking number.

rue_ if this experience has you this upset I’m going to advise to not buy reproduction backglasses if you get into the restoration side of things. You’d probably have a stroke.

#69 2 years ago

Bought a number of machines from Automated . Not one problem . I chose not to email and always called direct with any questions
    Most of the time Mike (the owner) answered the phone and was always helpful .

#70 2 years ago
    ricky2 (resized).jpegricky2 (resized).jpeg
    #71 2 years ago
    Quoted from rue_:

I get what you are saying. Years ago, I tried buying games from a retailer that I already bought a few games from. He would never call me back when he said he would and basically didn't seem to want my business. It seems like that sort of thing is more and more common these days especially when you can blame covid for everything.

#72 2 years ago
    Quoted from merkdds:

I have purchased 3 machines from Tommy at Nitro Pinball. Always responsive. Great guy and will buy more from him.

I talked to Tommy. He didnt have anything but was very responsive.

#73 2 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Buying NIB pinballs is hard.

I have bought 3 NIB in the last 3 years...3 different distributors no issues..other then waiting 8 months for Jurassic Park Prem....I knew well in advance that was going to be,,,,,

#74 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Your title doesn’t really speak to your experience here and your post simply says (paraphrased) ‘I emailed them, it took several hours to get reply, I emailed again, several hours for reply’ .. that’s all we got except this somehow went on for a week? So the reader is left filling in the blank — you had questions for a week and got two answers answered every day? Or you got two questions answered and got two replies then nothing for a week on a 3rd question?
    All it sounds like is that you think a company should email you back answers to any questions you have at any time of the Work day in 5 minutes or so (give it take). That’s pretty ridiculous. But sounds like you found what you wanted in the end. Just pretty ridiculous expectations in general for email communication. Within 2-3 days I’d say is kind of expected. That’s great that you might run a company different, but I’d say that’s an exception not an expectation in the world. As many others stated, a phone call would have saved you a week and all the time posting this thread.

Literally the original post starts with “I just spent a week....”

I never said anything about a company should email in 5 mins. There was a point where I where I emailed the guy like hey I don’t mean to bug you but I’m looking to get a machine soon. If he read that and was like I don’t have time to email this guy he could have said call me with your questions.

The kicker for me was I finally got annoyed and emailed him “this is taking too long I’m going to call some other distributors”, he then starts replying. The next morning I got the invoice in my email. I replied to his email and my emails bounced back. At that point I wasn’t ordering anything from him.

He had another employee emailing me and I told her his communication is terrible and if I have an issue down the road I don’t want to deal with this.

#75 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinbub:

You are,BUT they're allowed to lie to you. You are NOT allowed to lie to them. It's just the nature of the process.

Confused. How did I lie to them?

#76 2 years ago

To the OP. I just called recently and got invoiced for a CCr SE. It took me 5 minutes. I bought my MMr from them. A phone call and I drove there and picked it up. Based on your location I'll assume you've never been there. Its a giant ware house and there is like no more than 1 or 2 people there at a time. It's a family run business. Mike and his daughter are both really nice to work with. They bring a ton of games to Pintastic every year. I'm sorry you've had a bad experience. I haven't had one yet. Their used games are pretty up there in price but NIB is NIB. If you pay with a check you don't get wacked for the charge fee which is pretty nice. They pass that savings on to you. My MMr didn't have a manual in the box. I called them and they dealt with CGC and got me a new manual right away.

#77 2 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

I’m torn on how to feel about this thread.
    On one hand I’m like “yeah, I’m sick of these guys in the business sucking at communicating with buyers!”
    Then on the other hand I’m replaying what happened and wondering why this is a thread because of the summation:
    “I tried to buy from someone
    They sucked
    I found someone better and got what I wanted
    And I’m still mad!”
    Meanwhile a lot of us in the hobby have spent 100s to 1000s of dollars already and are still waiting on a product that isn’t on a truck yet with a tracking number.
    rue_ if this experience has you this upset I’m going to advise to not buy reproduction backglasses if you get into the restoration side of things. You’d probably have a stroke.

Waiting for a premium or LE is different than a pro. I’m not mad at all. When I originally started to post about it I had just started talking to the new distributor the night before. I still find it odd so many people are defending the guys poor customer service and want to blame the guy that talked about it.

#78 2 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMachine19:

To the OP. I just called recently and got invoiced for a CCr SE. It took me 5 minutes. I bought my MMr from them. A phone call and I drove there and picked it up. Based on your location I'll assume you've never been there. Its a giant ware house and there is like no more than 1 or 2 people there at a time. It's a family run business. Mike and his daughter are both really nice to work with. They bring a ton of games to Pintastic every year. I'm sorry you've had a bad experience. I haven't had one yet. Their used games are pretty up there in price but NIB is NIB. If you pay with a check you don't get wacked for the charge fee which is pretty nice. They pass that savings on to you. My MMr didn't have a manual in the box. I called them and they dealt with CGC and got me a new manual right away.

I’m glad locals get good customer service.

#79 2 years ago
    Quoted from rue_:

I’m glad locals get good customer service.

Well I can't help you not be upset. I would say its fair to say you had a bad customer service experience. I would say its unfair to say they are just always bad at customer service. I can imagine they probably get a ton of emails from tire kickers that don't have any intension of actually buying a machine. And believe me, this hobby is chock full of that.

#80 2 years ago
    Quoted from rue_:

Waiting for a premium or LE is different than a pro.

Agree, the operators who need pros for locations should be given priority. More people can see and play a machine when it's on location.

#81 2 years ago
    Quoted from mrclean:

Menards hahaha that reminds me…They need to make a “Monster Squad” pinball.
    [quoted image]

I can hear the callouts now. Rip the lit spinner to piss in the apple juice!

#82 2 years ago
    Quoted from rue_:

I don't know why so many of you are dead set on defending poor customer service.

Because we see the same complaints over and over and people just don't seem to get it.

Not getting what you asked for when you wanted it IS AN ANSWER!
    Go somewhere else if you don't like it.

Still good that you posted about your experience to help others researching distributors.

#83 2 years ago

I'm fairly new to the hobby. Recently sold a pin to a guy fairly close to me off Pinside. We became friendly and text routinely. He has bought 3 NIB machines from Mike @ Pinballs.com and had a great experience. I just decided to go for my 1st newbie. Called Pinballs.com at 12:55 last Sat. afternoon (they close @1 EST.) Mike answered the phone. Couldn't of been nicer and answered everything. This past Tue. I called back to put my order in. His secretary answered and was pleasant, but had to get some answers directly from Mike for the order. He was on another line and she requested if he could call me back. With in about a minute he called me, went through the details and then put me back with Becky for a deposit. Looking forward to my Godzilla Premium hopefully August 2022.
    On the flip side, 1 of the biggest scum bags in this hobby is Craig known as "pinballdude1". He has a pool and game room store in Vegas. Billiards N More. You want to get screwed? Try dealing with him. Everything he posts is "AMAZING", until you see the garbage he sends out. Lesson learned, ONLY buy in person or new. It's unfortunate that the terms and conditions that Pinside has in place does NOT allow to post negative feedback on the user directly. That's why many of these guys only have 100% positive.

#84 2 years ago
    Quoted from rue_:

I was an operator in CA a decade ago. Had 47 machines on route. I planned on building a route up at the first of the year. I'm definitely not some casual pin player looking for a machine for my man cave. I don't need "hand-holding" or any such treatment. What I need is a distributor that can tell me what they have physical possession of in stock, how much that is, how much is shipping to my shop, how long that is estimated to take, etc.. If you think a week to answer these questions is hand holding I don't what to say. It's not normal business in any other industry. We could have had a deal done the first day if the guy would have been responsive. It took about 45mins with another distributor that actually replies.

Then you probably need to learn how to use a smart phone for communication/business and not rely on 50 year old, slow technology [email]. Use a distributor that will answer your phone call and you can typically have things squared away in 10 minutes. I have NEVER had a problem buying something in stock from local distributors with a simple phone call or TXT message. If you are going PREM or LE, that is a completely different matter and I wish you luck on your quest.

#85 2 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Because we see the same complaints over and over and people just don't seem to get it.
    Not getting what you asked for when you wanted it IS AN ANSWER!
    Go somewhere else if you don't like it.
    Still good that you posted about your experience to help others researching distributors.

Exactly. The best lesson folks can learn, if they don’t already know, from this topic is don’t email for best pricing and service. Call and go email only if the person on the other line tells you that is the best way to buy from them. Like seriously if you want an newly announced LE you would email to try to get one? Cmon?! Well if that is how you do things, OP or anyone else here, good luck with that.

Find a good dealer and stick with them in the future. Don’t click and order either because you may get a bette price calling. Newer folks tend to click and buy until they learn.

Yes buying a new pinball sucks now, but for many other reasons not for the reasons of slow no email responses.

Things changed since Beston. These next Gen kids do things differently.

But glad OP got a game and hope he does well with it on location.

#86 2 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Agree, the operators who need pros for locations should be given priority. More people can see and play a machine when it's on location.

That's an interesting take. I meant more like pro's are in stock so no waiting

#87 2 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Then you probably need to learn how to use a smart phone for communication/business and not rely on 50 year old, slow technology [email]. Use a distributor that will answer your phone call and you can typically have things squared away in 10 minutes. I have NEVER had a problem buying something in stock from local distributors with a simple phone call or TXT message. If you are going PREM or LE, that is a completely different matter and I wish you luck on your quest.

I mean telephone is ancient tech compared to email. I don't know what you do for a living but email is very fast and used widely in business.

#88 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Exactly. The best lesson folks can learn, if they don’t already know, from this topic is don’t email for best pricing and service. Call and go email only if the person on the other line tells you that is the best way to buy from them. Like seriously if you want an newly announced LE you would email to try to get one? Cmon?! Well if that is how you do things, OP or anyone else here, good luck with that.
    Find a good dealer and stick with them in the future. Don’t click and order either because you may get a bette price calling. Newer folks tend to click and buy until they learn.
    Yes buying a new pinball sucks now, but for many other reasons not for the reasons of slow no email responses.
    Things changed since Beston. These next Gen kids do things differently.
    But glad OP got a game and hope he does well with it on location.

Emailed another distributor and got all my questions answered in 45 mins., called the next morning and paid them with my CC and it was a done deal. They also emailed me tracking so it's not like email is obsolete.
    Bottom line is if homeboy at pinballs.com wanted to make a sale he could of, very easily. He doesn't care though so that's on him. If you want to pay more and get treated like you don't matter go for it. I'll spend with the guy who emails back and wants to sell a machine.

#89 2 years ago

Well, the bottom line here is the guy that took just a minute out of his day got your business... What a fricken concept! Here is another one... he most likely will get all your business now! The other dude is a dumb fuck and he got nothin... nough said...

#90 2 years ago
    Quoted from ScubaScott:

I'm fairly new to the hobby. Recently sold a pin to a guy fairly close to me off Pinside. We became friendly and text routinely. He has bought 3 NIB machines from Mike @ Pinballs.com and had a great experience. I just decided to go for my 1st newbie. Called Pinballs.com at 12:55 last Sat. afternoon (they close @1 EST.) Mike answered the phone. Couldn't of been nicer and answered everything. This past Tue. I called back to put my order in. His secretary answered and was pleasant, but had to get some answers directly from Mike for the order. He was on another line and she requested if he could call me back. With in about a minute he called me, went through the details and then put me back with Becky for a deposit. Looking forward to my Godzilla Premium hopefully August 2022.

This. I have purchased a few NIB from Mike and Beckey at pinballs.com. They have always been courteous and provided great customer service. Have another pin arriving next Tuesday. Put the order in this Tuesday afternoon, they received stock in from Stern that night (as they said they would) and turned it around and had it on a truck the following morning.

I am sorry to hear that the op had a bad experience.

#91 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rockbiter:

This. I have purchased a few NIB from Mike and Beckey at pinballs.com. They have always been courteous and provided great customer service. Have another pin arriving next Tuesday. Put the order in this Tuesday afternoon, they received stock in from Stern that night (as they said they would) and turned it around and had it on a truck the following morning.
    I am sorry to hear that the op had a bad experience.

Maybe he was just busy when I tried to buy from him. I don't know it was just my experience. I'm sure he's a nice guy or he wouldn't be in business so long.

#92 2 years ago

Mike is a great guy. I would buy from Automated in a heartbeat

#93 2 years ago
    Quoted from rue_:

I mean telephone is ancient tech compared to email. I don't know what you do for a living but email is very fast and used widely in business.

Outside of a receipt, these days, it’s too slow and inefficient when buying and selling. Messaging apps and texting are way easier to use, more secure, and more widely used as well.

Let’s just say that most people are not hovering over their email inbox anymore waiting to respond to a potential customer. In my industry, you are much more likely to get a sale finalized in minutes if you are using texting and phone calls instead of emailing back and forth, waiting for hours or sometimes days for responses on both ends. We certainly still use emails but it’s quickly being lapped by sales reps in my industry that use those other “faster” tools.

#94 2 years ago
    Quoted from rue_:

So the first distributor didn’t respond to emails fast enough so you used a phone for the next distributor?

#95 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It seems like you can count the people in this hobby who are actually content and enjoying themselves on one hand.

Probably many more content people out there than one might think. Most content people probably lurk and rarely post, and occasionally roll their eyes while reading the forums.

#96 2 years ago
    Quoted from rue_:

Well that rectangular texting/emailing device you carry around is called a cell PHONE....

#97 2 years ago

There are a lot of good points in this thread, but I just want to mention that there is a very good reason to use email for purchases like this, as well as really any business matter.

Email creates a record of what was said.

And I say this not as a "gotcha" type of thing or as something to be used in a lawsuit (which is hopefully never necessary). But simply, it will help you remember all of the details.

How many times have you discussed something on the phone and later tried to remember some detail about it? Well, with email you can go back and look.

Same thing would apply to texts/messaging, etc, but it's simply easier for all to convey larger amounts of info in email than texts.

In my job I always want to hash things out via email rather than a conference call. Yes, it's not as fast or efficient. But there's a really good reason they people (and much of the business world) still use email.

#98 2 years ago
    Quoted from rue_:

There is a difference between wanting something now and a business with crappy customer service. Sorry you can't tell the difference.

The problem is a lot of these people kiss ass on here talking good about distributors, thinking the distributors will read the comments and maybe give them better service. You are right the service most of these distributors give is not good. I'm having problems with them also.

#99 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ty-Arnold:

The problem is a lot of these people kiss ass on here talking good about distributors, thinking the distributors will read the comments and maybe give them better service. You are right the service most of these distributors give is not good. I'm having problems with them also.

Or people have experiences that are different than yours.

#100 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ty-Arnold:

The problem is a lot of these people kiss ass on here talking good about distributors, thinking the distributors will read the comments and maybe give them better service.

I've had the opposite happen. I talked honestly about a distributor and then they purposely ignored me. Didn't offend me at all, just reaffirmed what I thought about them.

There are 149 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-a-new-machine-sucks/page/2?hl=anony and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.