(Topic ID: 224424)

Buying a new machine, have a couple of options and want some input

By Rewdood

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I am looking into buying a new machine, and have the narrowed it down to a choice of five machines. The only problem is I have only played one of the ones I am looking into, so I was hoping some people could give me advice. Had I played them all this decision would be much easier!

Here are the ones I have narrowed it down to

The Walking Dead Pro
    Iron Maiden Pro
    Metallica Pro
    Star Wars Pro
    Ghostbusters Pro

I have played about 15 games on Star Wars and really enjoy it. My Girlfriend (who will be playing it in the house a lot as well) also liked Star Wars.

We are both pretty big fans of Iron Maiden, Metallica, TWD, and Star Wars. She isn't crazy on the Ghostbusters theme but I have watched a lot of game play and it looks really fun.

Thank you for any insight

#2 5 years ago

In order of fun-ness:

#1. Iron Maiden Pro
    #2. Metallica Pro
    #3. The Walking Dead Pro
    #4. Star Wars Pro
    #5. Ghostbusters Pro

#3 5 years ago

If you both like Star Wars then I don't think you can go wrong with it. SW seems to be more polarizing as to whether people enjoy it or not but if you do then you'll really enjoy it.

Not sure I'd buy TWD without having played it. Iron Maiden and Metallica are both solid general choices.

#4 5 years ago

Thank you vid that helps a lot!

We would like a machine we don't get to play often, and the few bars with machines around here all seem to have Star Wars.

#5 5 years ago

I like all the games listed.

Own a GB and would put it last on this list.

IMDN, MET and SW shoot somewhat similarly and are more flow based, so if you like SW, you will probably enjoy the other 2.

Owned TWD in the past. Great game, but definitely try before you buy.

#6 5 years ago

I’ve only owned Met pro and TWD pro can’t say a lot about the other pins.

Of TWD and Met pro you picked two great pins. Both are SAM system which some people prefer. Both have great code and are hella fun. I have four Borg pins including these and IM and Tron and they are some of my favorite pins ever.

I’m going to say Met is better for flow and TWD is more of a fight you back pin.

I hear Maiden is also great but have not played more than 2 games on an LE not pro.

You can’t go wrong with Met pro imo. TWD is fantastic to me but some people may not appreciate it so if anything I’d play before you buy.

#7 5 years ago

Out of Metallica and Iron Maiden, what makes Iron Maiden the more preferred?

Watching gameplay of Metallica, my girlfriend said "It looks like you just keep hitting that electric chair guy over and over."

#8 5 years ago

I own met, and have played the rest extensively on location. if it were me, I'd go with maiden or gb, met, twd, then sw.

maiden has a unique layout with a lot to do. I personally love gb, but the premium more for the hologram, 3d plastics and magna slings. a lot of people seem to hate the linear ladder modes, but they don't bother me. met is fun, a lot to do as well, but it's the typical fan layout, and gets repetitive after a while. love the sw theme, hate the game. no clue what to shoot for and relies heavily on the screen. twd is ok, but I think a but boring on the shots personally.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rewdood:

Better layout, more stuff to do, way better artwork, way better music

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rewdood:

Watching gameplay of Metallica, my girlfriend said "It looks like you just keep hitting that electric chair guy over and over."

Metallica is a MB bash fest. TWD and Iron Maiden are somewhat similar. There's other stuff going on (modes) but you will end up spending a lot of time doing that while playing.

#11 5 years ago

I have a Met pro and an IMDN pro. Both are pretty multiball heavy. Met is a fun shooting pin, but feels a bit more repetitive. IMDN with the four flippers seems to have a lot more interesting shots, different strategies, and is a bit more challenging at this time. It could be the newness as I haven't had it as long.

Both fantastic, both have great code, but IMDN is currently a more fun pin. I like Metallica's music better, but Iron Maiden is starting to grow on me after hearing it enough. Hooking up a sub to IMDN pro really brings it to life. On the fence thinking about selling my Iron Maiden pro and upgrading to the premium I am enjoying it so much.

#12 5 years ago

I own iron maiden, Metallica, and walking dead I have also played star wars and Ghostbusters many times. I would rank the games in this order
    1 Iron Maiden
    2 Walking Dead
    3 Metallica
    4 Ghostbusters
    5 Star Wars

#13 5 years ago

It looks like my first gut feeling to pick up Iron Maiden was right. Thank you all for the input! I do really want to try out Metallica and TWD one day...

#14 5 years ago

There really aren't any bad choices there...

Maiden is AWESOME if you like or can at least tolerate the music. Same for Metallica but it's kind of more generic and brutal, and it's a DMD based title so you lose the cool LCDness.

SW has a TERRIBLE plunge, maybe the worst in pinball, but it really fun when you get control, plus who doesn't like SW?

If you don't like SW, but you do like The Walking Dead, it also has a somewhat unfortunate plunge, and also needs a sound mod to bring it inline with the TV show.

GB is great to some, poison to others. I like it personally.

Going outside the box, the best choice MIGHT be Guardians of the Galaxy... great theme, new display, Metallica-ish PF but a super cool ruleset. Still needs a sound mod tho, lol.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

In order of fun-ness:
    #1. Iron Maiden Pro
    #2. Metallica Pro
    #3. The Walking Dead Pro
    #4. Star Wars Pro
    #5. Ghostbusters Pro

I have not played Iron Maiden but from videos and other input it could very well be top of the list. I own a MET pro and love it. Just a great, solid game that is flat out fun to play. With a colordmd, it holds up well with all the new games. While not my top pick, TWD does have a lot of fans. SW pro doesn't look like much but is a lot of fun to play. I would push GB off the list as far as it will go down. Fun for a short while but quickly gets old with terrible design flaws.

Bottom line, I would say get Iron Maiden new. It has the LCD display, unique layout, and 4 flippers and still relatively new. Find a good deal on a MET pro used once you save a little. They have been in production for years so tons of them out there. Prices have been pushed up so no reason to spend big money on one. Get some game time on other titles and see if they are worth getting.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rewdood:

It looks like my first gut feeling to pick up Iron Maiden was right. Thank you all for the input! I do really want to try out Metallica and TWD one day...

Good choice. They’re all really good pins.

IMDN has excellent flow and with four flippers it makes it a really great shooting pin.

I personally love my TWDLE, favorite pin in my collection. I like the Premium/LE better than pro.

I had a really nice Metallica, great pin but got a little repetitive for me.

I have GBLE and it won’t be leaving anytime soon. Another pin that I like the Premium/LE better than the pro.
    I agree with most people, you either love it or hate it. It’s one you need to play before making a decision. It makes a huge difference if it’s been dialed in and has protectors.

Star Wars is my least favorite of the four.

#17 5 years ago

How do they hold up to the Attack on Mars remake? I have played the original a LOT but about 5 years ago. Medieval Madness is one I am going to go try today as well.

#18 5 years ago

I wouldn't let a girlfriend decide.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

I wouldn't let a girlfriend decide.

She pays 60% of the mortgage so I gotta make her happy lol

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rewdood:

How do they hold up to the Attack on Mars remake? I have played the original a LOT but about 5 years ago. Medieval Madness is one I am going to go try today as well.

AFM remake is my newest pin but also (imo) one of the best pins ever.

I didn’t think I would love AFM that much because it’s kind of simple rules but it’s just magical.

SM is another nice option, but honestly there are so many great pins it makes my head spin.

I’ve played more AFM in two months than any other pin I’ve gotten in their same two month new period.

#21 5 years ago

rai How does it compare to Iron Maiden? Worth the extra money for the pro version of AFM?

#22 5 years ago

Well AFM and MM are classics for a reason. I really like my MMr.

#23 5 years ago

MMR is #1 for a reason. Best toy ever made for pinball imo and it's the game everyone fights over to play at my house whether it be kids or adults.

#24 5 years ago

MMR is one game that will never leave my house. It's the game everyone gravitates towards more than any of my other pins.

Quoted from i_b_flippin:

it's the game everyone fights over to play at my house whether it be kids or adults.

lol same thing happens in my household also.

#25 5 years ago

DMD games are so last gen

My vote is for Maiden!

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rewdood:

rai How does it compare to Iron Maiden? Worth the extra money for the pro version of AFM?

I can't say anything about Iron Maiden. I only played the LE and that was just one game.

I can say that AFM (insert the level) is worth the cost (IMO).

It's one thing to look at Met pro, or SM or Iron Man and say yup they're $5000 pins and then see a AFM going for $6,7,8K and ask where is the value? but to me just playing AFM is something else.

I have the remake and it's the LE (topper totally steals the show and totally worth it). Lager display on SE and LE totally worth it.

Now, I am not a stand my ground B/W guy, I owned a lot of great B//W games but sold them all and had 100% Stern pins for the longest time. Now I still have the Stern but have been adding JJP (Woz/DI) and now CGC AFM remake.

I love Stern and they are great value (especially the pro) but sometimes you get what you pay for. I suspect AFM LE is worth whatever $2K more than the classic edition (especially if you appreciate bling in a machine).

#27 5 years ago

If you and your girlfriend love Star Wars, then I’d go for that. You’ll have fun with every pin on your list, they all have something different and exciting. No matter what you do, have fun! As long as you take care of your pins, you should always be able to sell or trade later.

#28 5 years ago

I’ll sell you my MMR if you want it, but I’m keeping IMDN... And I’ve owned a few MMs, AFMRLE, and AFM, which are gone.

#29 5 years ago

I own Iron Maiden pro, Metallica pro, Star Wars Prem, and played walking dead and ghostbusters a bunch. Out of my pin line up I play IMD the most and SW is a close second. Walking dead plays brutal and you need to hit your shots or get really good at nudging. Ghostbusters is a cool pin but also has a lot of cheap drains. Metallica is a fun game and you can start different multi balls pretty easy but to master this game is a challenge. Star Wars is really deep in code and also has plenty of multi balls to play. You can also play it with different heroes which will help it’s longevity in a small collection. Iron Maiden is just awesome and love the four flipper layout. 1.Iron Maiden 2.Star Wars 3.Metallica 4.Walking Dead 5.Ghostbusters

#30 5 years ago

Well I got to play MM last night and immediately wanted it. However the price difference between it and Iron Maiden has really pushed me to Iron Maiden.

Thank you all for the input it has been incredibly helpful!

#31 5 years ago

Do not buy without playing it first. Been there, done that. Unless you are willing to absorb some loss and be willing to flip. If not, take the time to find one in location or just get the one you know you like. IMDN did not click at all when I played one on location. I know it gets a ton of love on Pinside, but there are plenty who don't like it as well. Same with any game. Choose the game that YOU know you like. These things aren't cheap.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rewdood:

Metallica and Iron Maiden, what makes Iron Maiden the more preferred?

The code. Soooooooo much better. The rules of Maiden blows MET out of the water.

#33 5 years ago

All of these games are avail to play in Reno... if thats where you are.
    Highly suggest putting some games on all of them before dropping 5 or 6k on a pin.
    That being said... my personal opinion is Iron Maiden. For the price, hands down it offers more value than the other pins on your list.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rewdood:

However the price difference between it and Iron Maiden has really pushed me to Iron Maiden.
    Thank you all for the input it has been incredibly helpful!

Price is certainly a consideration. For example my RR Woz cost me $8300 (used) and I had bought other pins like Met/Tron/TWD/IM/SM all in the $4-5K range. Course have to figure in things like shaker, Color DMD for older pins. So really all my Stern pro pins are $5K-5800, but that's still a big gap to $8300.

So if you like something cheaper by all means that can be the tie breaker. And don't think that if you pay twice as much for one pin that it's twice as nice. Most of these pins will give you the same enjoyment and you can always sell a cheaper pin later on and use that as a stepping stone to the $8K pin if you want.

For example I had two pins STLE and SM both were around the same for me. However when I looked to sell, someone offered me $8300 for STLE. My SM id nice probably $5300 (or less) so didn't take me long to figure that I'd rather have SM at a $3000 price difference.

Still love STLE and it's a great pin but you can't keep everything.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dantesmark:

All of these games are avail to play in Reno... if thats where you are.
    Highly suggest putting some games on all of them before dropping 5 or 6k on a pin.
    That being said... my personal opinion is Iron Maiden. For the price, hands down it offers more value than the other pins on your list.

Not seeing Iron Maiden anywhere, but I have plans to try out the others soon.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rewdood:

So you're buying a pin you haven't played yet?

#37 5 years ago

Also recommend playing before buying. I have to admit I'm a metal guy and I own a Metallica which I love. I've been playing Iron Maiden and like it a lot.

#38 5 years ago

Yea, do this- try before you buy, especially with pinball machines. For example, I don't enjoy playing Iron Maiden (nor Metallica for that matter) as much as Star Wars or GOTG. And I really dislike GB, despite loving the movie.

There, does that change your opinion? Well, it should or shouldn't, IDK. Who am I to tell you what your gut will tell you when you're actually playing the pin. I've honestly tried to "feel the hype" of Iron Maiden, but I can't seem to get there. I've been surprised too many times when my reaction to a pin was the polar opposite of "mainstream."
    Currently working on my Dead Pool gut opinion.

#39 5 years ago

I bought IMDN LE without playing it—only way to do so at the time—and love it. Bought DILE same way early and sold it a month later. Only you will know what’s best for you. TNA is incredible for some, not so much for others. We are all different. I’d definitely play before you buy where you can, at least a couple of examples. Road trip if you have to or catch a pinball convention. That’s how I eliminated Houdini from my wishlist and replaced it with BM66, another title people love, or don’t. IMDN isn’t really hype. It’s universally praised even by those who can’t stand the band. I think it’s another MM for a new generation.

#40 5 years ago

Also some pins you can play before you buy and still not know until you own it.

I never played Tron but bought it off the reviews and love it.

Often you can play games in the wild and it’s different than actually owning it where you can set it on like you prefer.

#41 5 years ago

The problem is I cannot play Iron Maiden, and have (finally) played the others and do not feel the need to buy them. I am not super worried about Iron Maiden not gelling with me as I have watched countless hours of play on it and am a huge fan of the band, music, and theme. I really don't like buying games before playing, I even downloaded VPX and pulled my hair out for a couple days getting certain games to run (poorly) on my PC just to try them out.

Based on feedback from you guys and videos, I am confident I will not be disappointed. So thank you all very much

#42 5 years ago

really not a good idea to buy a game without ever playing it but it's your money so do what you will.

#43 5 years ago

I’m two hours west if Press Start or Sac area doesnt have one yet. Open invite to play Maiden pro before you buy.

#44 5 years ago

I was in a similar spot a few months ago. Instead of going NIB, I ended up looking for the best deal I could find on a used machine on my list. I ended up with a Metallica Premium. Loving it so far.

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

I’m two hours west if Press Start or Sac area doesnt have one yet. Open invite to play Maiden pro before you buy.

I would take his offer and go try it and maybe make some new friends while at it.

#46 5 years ago

If you play a game and you both really enjoyed it, I would lean towards that one. Better yet, take the time to play others and make a good decision.

Personally AFM is my all time fav
    Iron Maiden is incredible and can’t go wrong

Greg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-a-new-machine-have-a-couple-of-options-and-want-some-input?hl=ausretrogamer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.