(Topic ID: 100670)

Buying a machine in pieces

By Daredevil

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Can this be done? I was thinking, instead of saving for a machine, would it be possible to buy a machine a piece at a time and assemble it.
    Also would this cost more or less? Would you end up saving on shipping since small pieces often ship for free? Where would you start?....

#2 9 years ago

Not really. It would be like building a Ferrari one part at a time. The only way this would work out from a price perspective is if you got a complete playfield for real cheap and then found a scrapped cabinet with proper transformer and display. This is unlikely. I would just get a starter early digital pin for $400-800 instead. This is what I did.

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from Daredevil:

Can this be done? I was thinking, instead of saving for a machine, would it be possible to buy a machine a piece at a time and assemble it.
    Also would this cost more or less? Would you end up saving on shipping since small pieces often ship for free? Where would you start?....

Technically it's possible. But not practical.
    Look at the original attempt at building a new MM. Took tons of time. And not every part is available. So you'd be looking at waiting for some parts to come up for sale or even worse. And it would cost you a TON more.

#4 9 years ago

In Canada, you will get dinged on shipping everytime so the answer is no.

#5 9 years ago

It would suck if you got most of the parts you needed and the last 10% were unavailable. What game are you considering this for?

#6 9 years ago

I have an address I can ship to washington state, about an hour drive, so shipping shouldn't be a problem. Obviously I would need to pick a popular game with lots of available parts TAF for example.

#7 9 years ago

By the time you buy the decals, the pieces, the time etc....you are in for a long haul...believe me I know....

#8 9 years ago

You certainly won't save any money doing it. The retail cost of the parts would far exceed the cost of an entire machine.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from Daredevil:

I have an address I can ship to washington state, about an hour drive, so shipping shouldn't be a problem. Obviously I would need to pick a popular game with lots of available parts TAF for example.

Oof...you picked a game that's popular, but that doesn't mean that parts are plentiful or cheap. You can pick up a routed TAF for maybe $4000.
    If you piecemeal it, you're going to wind up being relegated to buying new parts for the most part...and that's good...except in cost. Suddenly a bare playfield is going to run you $1500. That's without a cabinet, boards, or even one scrap of wire or one plastic or mech.

#10 9 years ago

I did some quick scrap paper math before I purchased my first machine since I was thinking about this very thing.

And yep, the cost of the individual components plus any scraps you can find would far exceed the cost of an individual machine. You can spend around $500-$1200 on the transformer/PSU and boards alone, depending upon the machine.

Then there are the display(s) at about $200 each (which can get costly for 4-player numeric games), the backglass ($50-$250), the playfield ($25-$1500, depending on condition, NOS, repro, etc), the cabinet ($25-$500, depending on condition or built new), $300 for decals/stencils, $60 for legs, $100-$200 for coin door, $50 for shooter assembly, flipper assemblies $40-$75 each, ramps about $75-$200 each, set of plastics $60-$300...

I figure you'd be up to around $2000 at that point, on average, and that's without getting very much into the playfield parts.

#11 9 years ago

A guy built a MM from scratch with just parts well before the MMR was announced, so it can be done, although I think it would cost more.

#12 9 years ago

We had a guy up in WI looking for the head of a Bad Cats. I don't know what came of it but the previous owner was hunting for awhile and couldn't piece it together. I almost purchased it but I realized that it would be a nightmare finding and putting that headbox together.

#13 9 years ago

I've done this a few times. I built my getaway from about 7 different machines and have spent about the cost of a game in that condition except without having done all of the labor. I've also built a mystic from a NOS wired playfield again...would have been cheaper to just buy one.

Learning experiences++

-c

#14 9 years ago

Gotcha. Seems like not a very good idea. I'm just frustrated that in the market I'm in anyone that has anything is trying to gouge people. So since I can't afford a NIB was thinking about this as an alternative. Thanks for the info guys.

#15 9 years ago

Most people here are fair with their prices. Keep a close daily watch at the classifieds here and save yourself a whole lot of grief piecing one together!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-a-machine-in-pieces and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.