Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by davewtf
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

Would you buy a game if a good example of the game (not the exact machine you are buying) is available locally on route?

I have only been in the hobby for about a year and am grateful to live in a city where there is an active pinball community and good location pinball. Even though I may really like a lot of the games that are on route, I cannot justify spending the money on one of those while they are available to play 5-10 minutes away for $1 a game or less. That way I can also support the location and help keep location pinball alive in the area. Obviously machines will eventually get rotated out and then I could look into tracking one down if I really wanted it. The Game of Thrones announcement today made me think about this a bit, since I am a big fan on the TV series and it may very well get put on route locally (I am hoping at least). I was just curious if a game being available locally affects your decision in purchasing it.

#2 8 years ago

Yes, my decisions are certainly affected by what's on route. If I didn't have as tight of a space and budget restriction as I do, then I wouldn't really factor that in as much, but considering how few games I can have at a time I'd much prefer to get something that I can't just go out and play already.

#3 8 years ago

Yeah, it'd make a difference to me and I'd prefer something I couldn't find locally. That said, when I picked up my Johnny Mnemonic, I was fully aware that there were three on route in my area and another three or four in collections. It was a pretty good deal and fit my need for a practice machine and something I could play at home and not get bored with too easily. Not sick of it yet, that's for sure. Saves me twenty bucks every time I decide to stay home and play.

#4 8 years ago

There's a Demo Man on route by me that's kept me from buying a Demo Man, which is one of my favorite games. If I was in the market for an expensive like game AC/DC or WoZ I don't think I'd care that a couple are on route by me.

#5 8 years ago

It's an excellent question. In the olden days of arcades, all new games were bought by operators and put on route, and no one brought them home. The recent resurgence in home pinball was a necessity as there was no pinball on route. Today the two most important phrases in pinball are:

"It's more fun to compete" and "Play before pay"

So if these new games are going to be available on route I would highly recommend people spend time playing and competing on those games. If the game is no longer on route but continues to have lasting appeal for someone, buy it at that point. This is what Gary Stern himself prefers... location pinball.

#6 8 years ago

Yes and a good working on too. Played potc on route forever ago and hated it. I never played it before and didn't realize what was and want working properly. Played a nice one at a friend's and had to get one thereafter

#7 8 years ago

For me, it all depends on the game. If it is a game that I can put up a marathon session on, the preference would be to have it in home. But for the most part, if there was good location pinball available locally to me (and was open after 9pm), I wouldn't have bought and sold so many games over the years. A lot of the games in my collection only lasted a couple of months, simply because I wouldn't get to try them out without buying them.

#8 8 years ago

I don't buy games I can play on route unless the price is incredible or the game is one of my all time favorites, but I am very lucky to have well maintained games on route near me.

#9 8 years ago

If it's a game you love, nothing beats owning one. You don't have to deal with condition issues or wait a turn. It sucks to have a great game close by but never 100% working.

#10 8 years ago

I have tried the pin on locations also. It helps to see if we want to buy it.... This way you can kinda feel the flow and how long it might last in yours or someone's collection.. I did that with LOTR.... I love the movies and spend many days at the local bar at NOON...... Just to see..

Nothing like being the first person at the bar.. Got some good looks just wanting to play and Not drink.... I did get soda's everytime...

I have no problem if someone want to come by and check out a pin we have. . So they know if its something they may want to buy also.

NT.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

If it's a game you love, nothing beats owning one. You don't have to deal with condition issues or wait a turn. It sucks to have a great game close by but never 100% working

That's absolutely true. There are a couple games on route near me that I really, really like that have consistent problems that just kill the game and probably won't ever be fixed.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

It sucks to have a great game close by but never 100% working.

This particular location is maintained very well. One other perk is that if something isn't working, just contact the OP, and it will be working the next time you come out! I wish I had that kind of service at home.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

If it's a game you love, nothing beats owning one. You don't have to deal with condition issues or wait a turn. It sucks to have a great game close by but never 100% working.

did you inform the op?

ops can't fix problems they don't know about

#14 8 years ago

Yes, absolutely. If you really love a game there is nothing like having it chained up in your basement...

#15 8 years ago

I don't really have any games in decent shape on route near me. They're all beaters and junkers that have not been maintained.

#16 8 years ago

There are literally two games on rout in my city of 100,000 people. A South Park and a TRS. I would love little more than there to be a good rout operator with machines in decent condition. I'd hang out and play all the time.

It would affect what I bought.

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from flecom:

did you inform the op?
    ops can't fix problems they don't know about

Yes, and they tell me the games take a beating which I guess translates to always broken. Some locations are so bad why bother saying anything when the pins are so badly maintained. If you live near a great location that keeps pins working great consider yourself fortunate.

#18 8 years ago

I think I own 8 games that are also on location within a 1.25 hour drive of me. Although admittedly, I owned them before the locations did.

But my example is Tron. I played it on location, and didn't like it. Then I played it more, and did like it. Then learned the rules and loved it. On location doesn't compare to having it in my house. Mine plays better than any copy I could find on location.

And I always say, you never really know a game until you torture it in your basement for a while.

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinballBeerGuy:

Would you buy a game if a good example of the game (not the exact machine you are buying) is available locally on route?

As someone that lives in the same area and plays the same location games you do I definitely make it a point not to buy anything that is available to play locally. I'd make an exception if the pin was at an incredible price that was too tough to pass up but for the most part I cross the pin off my list the second it goes on location. I've taken about 4-5 games off my wishlist that are now on route.

I think it's more fun to put up good scores on location games because you're competing against your friends and fellow pinballer's in the area vs. a game at home where only you play it. It feels good supporting local pinball as well and is fun to meet someone for some beers and pinball at a neutral site. I'm thankful to have such great games to play on location due to madisonpinball. Long live location pinball!

#20 8 years ago

I got a BSD and there were 2 on location buy me. It's one of my favorites and i said i'd own one one day so i bought it.

With in the same year there are now Zero BSD's on location but i have one in my basement and could not be happier.

Moral of the story if you love the game buy it regardless if its on location cause you'll still play the hell out of it

#21 8 years ago

I would save an play the one on route an if you miss it when its gone that means you would like to add it to your collection.. it also gets you out of the house..

#22 8 years ago

it depends on the game. i tend not to own games that are on route or that other good friends own.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-a-game-when-an-example-is-on-route-locally and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.