(Topic ID: 280530)

Buying a demo machine (during Covid times)

By Zami77

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

#1 3 years ago

Hey, how's it going everyone. I'm in the market for buying a new stern to replace my firepower I've had the past few years. There's a showroom me and my fiancee went to over the weekend and we both really loved the new TMNT and Avengers that they had there, so we're really leaning towards one of them. I called up the distributor and asked them about pro/premium availability and all that. They still are taking new orders but he offered to sell the pros he had in the showroom for about 300-400 off their normal price.

So my question is, is it a good or bad idea to buy demo models? The additional layer of complexity to this is the fact that we're in the middle of a pandemic. When we went to this showroom (I wouldn't really call it a showroom, it was a tucked-away room in an open market place in a mall, and it had very little foot traffic) there were barely any other people, so I'm wondering if the demo models receive very little play. (It's orange county pinball showroom in laguna hills, if anyone is familiar).

I'm also considering trading in my firepower to the company for credit towards the game. I know it's not the best bang for my buck, but I'd rather have a simple way to get it off my hands.

I'd love any feed back on to buy a demo model or not, pro vs premium, or if trading in firepower is a TERRIBLE decision. I'm overall a very fiscally responsible person and would like to save money, however, this is a luxury purchase, and if I'm going to have a better experience spending some more cash, I have no problem doing it. Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from Zami77:

I'd love any feed back on to buy a demo model or not,

They give you a warranty ? The factory warranty might not cover a demo that has been out in the field.

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

They give you a warranty ? The factory warranty might not cover a demo that has been out in the field.
LTG : )

This shows my ignorance. With a new stern does it come with a solid warranty? I'll have to ask the distributor about a warranty with the demo unit.

#4 3 years ago

And get it in writing!!

#5 3 years ago

Yes we will honor the factory warranty.

Thank you
Evan

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from surfsidedetail:

Yes we will honor the factory warranty.
Thank you
Evan

Thanks Evan, that's great to hear.

-Dan

#7 3 years ago

I believe pro warranty is 6 months or year only, so shouldn't really matter. Build a relationship with your dealer and hopefully he will take care of you. I've bought 2 rental returns from my distributor. No issues whatsoever

#8 3 years ago

Is there California sales tax?

#10 3 years ago

I’d pick up a demo for $500 off, that’s reasonable. You know it’s working, and probably doesn’t have a crazy amount of plays unless Evans in there playing it 6 hours a day lol

Then again, I like to purchase new pins from shows where stern offers discounts on the games they bring- where they get a full weekend of play (500-1000 play range). They look like new still, other than some dimpling starting in which is going to happen no matter what. I think it comes down to if you put a strong value on the NIB unboxing of a game feel or not. Fun.. but $500 of fun?

As for Firepower, like with a car I’d expect you get a fraction of its worth as trade in. I think you could easily sell it yourself with low hassle at a reasonable price for you and buyer. Last time I checked a good FP was north of $1k pretty easy if I recall correctly.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

I’d pick up a demo for $500 off, that’s reasonable. You know it’s working, and probably doesn’t have a crazy amount of plays unless Evans in there playing it 6 hours a day lol
Then again, I like to purchase new pins from shows where stern offers discounts on the games they bring- where they get a full weekend of play (500-1000 play range). They look like new still, other than some dimpling starting in which is going to happen no matter what. I think it comes down to if you put a strong value on the NIB unboxing of a game feel or not. Fun.. but $500 of fun?
As for Firepower, like with a car I’d expect you get a fraction of its worth as trade in. I think you could easily sell it yourself with low hassle at a reasonable price for you and buyer. Last time I checked a good FP was north of $1k pretty easy if I recall correctly.

The pins at the showroom seemed to be in great condition and played great as well. Personally, opening NIB doesn't matter much to me, so the savings will be worth it if I decide pro over premium.

I think I'll try to sell my firepower and worst case do a trade in if I'm not having luck on it.

#12 3 years ago

Sell Firepower on your own, more money than trade.

If money doesn't matter get premium over pro.

Build relationship with distributor. It will help you in the long run.

-Mike

#13 3 years ago

it will still have that new game smell, go for it

#14 3 years ago

Buy HUO and save even more. A lot of NOB HUO machines pop up all the time still under warranty. Save close to a grand and no sales tax.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from Brtlkat:

Buy HUO and save even more. A lot of NOB HUO machines pop up all the time still under warranty. Save close to a grand and no sales tax.

I didn't see any HUO for avengers, and there were a few turtles, but it seems it'd be a comprable price to buying from the distributor, without the safety of using a distributor. They might be a bit too new as of now.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from Zami77:

I didn't see any HUO for avengers, and there were a few turtles, but it seems it'd be a comprable price to buying from the distributor, without the safety of using a distributor. They might be a bit too new as of now.

PC Pinballs are good people. As your fairly new to pinball know there Is a value to dealing with someone local in person that will help you should you have issues. Sometimes cheaper isn’t always the best direction. Good luck, Avengers is a fun game.

#17 3 years ago

having to pay tax is brutal

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

PC Pinballs are good people. As your fairly new to pinball know there Is a value to dealing with someone local in person that will help you should you have issues. Sometimes cheaper isn’t always the best direction. Good luck, Avengers is a fun game.

Agreed. I have a local tech repair person that I always use and I appreciate having someone I trust. I'd like to have the same with a distributor, hence why im shying away from buying privately to maybe save a few bucks.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

having to pay tax is brutal

The price of living in SoCal lol.

#20 3 years ago

For closure to the thread, I decided to purchase the demo model. Really excited for the Turtles coming in later this week!

#21 3 years ago

No worries about a demo machine as long as it’s not marked up. I would look hard at the cabinet, especially the head to see if it was banged against another machine or wall.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Oakhurst, CA
6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Rockville, MD
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Old Town Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Terre Haute, IN
$ 24.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-a-demo-machine-during-covid-times?hl=zami77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.