Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by pinzrfun
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231030_102306 (resized).jpg
    20231030_102245 (resized).jpg
    20231030_102227 (resized).jpg
    20231030_102201 (resized).jpg
    20231030_102209 (resized).jpg
    20220805_200213 (resized).jpg
    20220805_200255 (resized).jpg
    There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

Hi guys!

I have been looking for a King Rex for a few years now. I grew up with one until I was about 11 and would love to be reunited with one soon... that search piqued my interest in other games and recently purchased a Bally Star Trek, sight unseen. Seller described the game as "100% working, beautiful and will not find another in this good a shape".... Well ...I paid $3600 and since I've had it, it has yet to be 100% working.

Without getting into ALL the boring details, the pinball guy I had out today was complaining that, for the price, and having the playfield being replaced, all sockets should have been replaced at that time, flippers rebuilt etc. There is rust and water damage to boot. He is estimating $1500 to get the lights/flippers right, and I paid $300 for his work clearing up a few other issues.

My biggest disappointment is that the cabinet had been stenciled, but prior to finish paint, the cabinet was not sealed or primed, so during the day, you can see the inconsistencies or different sheen's going down the cabinet. Not sure what it will take to get that right. I did get new plastics, pop bumper caps and glass. The old were tired/burned and the glass was all scratched up.

At $3600 I expected a near perfect/new aesthetic and all lights/flippers/game play in good working order. Am I expecting too much? When I brought up the initial issues I was having with the game after I got it set up, the seller did refund $600, which seemed fair for the known issues. I was a bit surprised to hear of so much more work needed today.

I am not overly concerned about dumping another $2500 or so to get the lights and cabinet right, BUT should I be demanding he take the machine back? Refund more money? Or am I just the next in line to take care of this machine? I am also not overly concerned on what its value is or might be. With shipping, I am feeling like I have already paid a premium for what I thought was an A+ game.

I unfortunately do not work on these. I recently purchased a 1972 and 1975 game, both original and in great shape. I did not anticipate this one giving me this many problems, since it was "restored"

Thanks!

#2 1 year ago

Unfortunately I would say you overpaid, in my opinion. Replacing sockets and such is not hard, they are about $2 or so a piece and you just need a soldering iron and a nut driver to do it. Flipper rebuild kits are about $40 for that machine I believe.

I would suggest you might take this as an opportunity to learn how to work on the machine yourself instead of having to pay someone $1500 to do things like replace lights and rebuild flippers.

If you aren't happy with the machine you could try to get the seller to take it back but he may refuse.

If you put another $2000-2500 into a $3600 Bally Star Trek you will be pretty upside down on it if you ever go to sell it.

Tough situation and I'm sorry you are in it.

#3 1 year ago

You already got $600 back which is a near miracle in this hobby / business.

At this point demanding more,
    Or a full refund, isn’t going to be very productive. You already went around that carousel once and there are no re-rides. That $600 refund bought the seller a lifetime pass from having to deal with you any more.

Pay to have it fixed up, do it yourself, or sell it to someone. Either way, take it as a lesson learned, move on, and take steps to keep this from happening next time (ask more specific questions, more pictures, or only buy something you can see in person. “Sight unseen” is always asking for trouble in pinball).

#4 1 year ago

I know there are different opinions on this but I don't think people should buy older pins if you can't work on them or are unwilling to learn. Eventually something always breaks. Even new stuff breaks. I've lost count how many times I've taken apart the drop target mech on my Star Trek Premium.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I know there are different opinions on this but I don't think people should buy older pins if you can't work on them or are unwilling to learn. Eventually something always breaks. Even new stuff breaks. I've lost count how many times I've taken apart the drop target mech on my Star Trek Premium.

I have done a few little things, but having 2 businesses, and a side hustle, I already work 7 days a week, and try not to "work" if I am off. Might not be the hobby for me, or I might have to go new, although I just love the older games.

Thanks for the input!

#6 1 year ago

Well you got $600 back, so I would work on it myself.

Get some new GI sockets and get Yoppsicles for the inserts.

I would give Terry pinballlife a call and have him set up some wpc flipper mechs for you. Worth the money and they flip real nice.

Put the machine in between 2 other machines and forget about the cab and just

-Mike

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from KingRex71:

I have done a few little things, but having 2 businesses, and a side hustle, I already work 7 days a week, and try not to "work" if I am off. Might not be the hobby for me, or I might have to go new, although I just love the older games.
    Thanks for the input!

I hear ya. It's one of those hobbies that unfortunately can require work at times. I'm always tinkering with all my pins.

#8 1 year ago

Unless that tech comes highly recommended I'd seek another one's opinion and estimate on the repairs.

#9 1 year ago

Find a close buddy to do the work for some drinks and play time on ur machines. Sorry for your bad experience buying. Theres lots of great people on here that can help.

#10 1 year ago

$1500 to replace the lamp sockets and rebuild the flippers is CRAZY! I do complete street level playfield swaps for my friends for $500.00 to $750 plus parts and replace all lamp sockets rebuild flippers replace coils etc... If you were closer I would take care of that for about 200-300 plus parts. This hobby is getting overpriced and just insane anymore. I understand if this is his job but still this is about a day's worth of work.

#11 1 year ago

Thanks for all of the input guys, I really appreciate it.

I guess my one nagging question is whether my expectations were correct.40+ year old game, should I have expected better condition or is what I described about right?

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from cyroute:

$1500 to replace the lamp sockets and rebuild the flippers is CRAZY! I do complete street level playfield swaps for my friends for $500.00 to $750 plus parts and replace all lamp sockets rebuild flippers replace coils etc... If you were closer I would take care of that for about 200-300 plus parts. This hobby is getting overpriced and just insane anymore. I understand if this is his job but still this is about a day's worth of work.

Wish you were closer too!!

My first pinball guy, is out of commission, and was not very responsive or fast to begin with. A couple local shops are 6 months out before they will even talk to me (one of them is a father of a friend)

The red flag popped up as he was replacing the under playfield bulbs. 4th bulb in, he ran into voltage issues, new bulb, new socket, so a wiring issue. That seemed to bring work to a halt and he suggested to shop it.

#13 1 year ago

When someone says " you won't find a nicer one;" they are lying to you.
    Just sounds like a lot of assumptions here. Should you not have rusted metal parts for 3600? probably.
    Should he have replaced all the sockets and flippers for that price? Not always
    Is your pinball guy full of shit aboot 1500? Yes

This era's #1 problem if flaky light sockets. Annoying but moving the ground to the nipple might fix 80% of them.

Pictures eliminate a lot of issues...like rusty metal parts and water damage. But stuff like re-stenciling can mean diff'rent things to folks

#14 1 year ago

For $3600 I would expect a perfect playing game 100%. Replacing the lamp sockets is a standard when replacing the playfield in my opinion. I know how much work is involved in doing a playfield swap so $3600 would be fair if the game was 100% funtional when you got it. I always tell people who buy pins its not if it will break it is when so anything after the purchase you are pretty much on your own but it should of been 100% when you got it. A base Star Trek is 1300 to 1600 so 2k extra for all the work that should of went into the game would of been fair. I think you are stuck with it now and should try to either fix it yourself or find someone willing to do it cheaper than the $1500 guy. Your other option is load it in your car drive 9 hours to my mountain cabin in PA and we can get it up and running in a weekend for less than your guy including gas and you will learn some stuff!
    Joe

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from KingRex71:

I guess my one nagging question is whether my expectations were correct.40+ year old game, should I have expected better condition or is what I described about right?

You should have received a much better product for $3,600/$3,000(after refund) for that title. Buying sight unseen was the killer on this. A sight unseen deal would’ve been $200-400, no questions asked, and be happy if it had all of the parts come with it.

That kind of money spent deserves better details and pictures before buying.

At the end of the day, an item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Sorry bud, but you were taken in that deal. Of course the seller would have no issue refunding $600, he got you for a lot more.

Definitely a learning experience.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from cyroute:

Replacing the lamp sockets is a standard when replacing the playfield in my opinion

Well that's just an opinion which leads to problems like this.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well that's just an opinion which leads to problems like this.

On any Bally solid state game that is getting a new PF replacing the shitty sockets isn't an option unless you sell half ass games. They suck and the cost with new power braid over reusing the OE crap isn't worth a discussion. If you can afford a new PF, you can spend the extra $100-$175 to replace every socket.

#18 1 year ago

The only problem with this hobby is very few people know what a true restoration is. I've worked on many games for customers who bought games that were billed as fully restored from some notable store front operations and nothing was done inside including the lack of solder on wire terminals. Best of luck

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from KingRex71:

It sounds like the game has had some restoration work, new playfield and it sounds like repainted cabinet. The problem is that not everyone “restores” a game to the same extent. Some people replace every socket, some people just clean what’s there and call it good. Again, the error that you made was not inspecting the game yourself prior to purchase. Having said that you paid a net of $3000 for a Bally Star Trek with a new playfield and what sounds like an average restencil job on the cabinet. Given that playfields run $800-1000 and Pinball Pimp stencils are $160-200, $3000 is probably in the ballpark.

I guess the main issue here is just that the seller didn’t have the attention to detail you desired.

As was said above, seller has already refunded you $600 which is pretty impressive. I guess it’s up to you as to where you take it from here, I’d definitely look around if your repair guy is charging you $1500 to rebuild flippers, change some sockets and troubleshoot it. That seems about $600-700 high to me.

#20 1 year ago

think of this as a $2000 lesson
    You now know what can be bad about a game, if the pinball bug does bite you , you now know what to look for

#21 1 year ago

In the future the best sellers to buy from are those that provide an almost ridiculous level of photos of inside outside machine AND have a full list detailing pros and cons of the machine. Look at that con list closely. A good seller knows everything that is wrong and isn’t afraid to describe it and price accordingly. Honestly, this is either an inexperienced seller or a rip off artist. An inexperienced seller will only tell you about the amazing work they did, not recognizing everything they didn’t do because they usually have zero attention to detail. It only comes back to bite them because they end up with an unhappy buyer who paid too much for a machine that was not worth it

#22 1 year ago

I do not want to be critical of the op, but it’s the buyers responsibility to verify condition before handing over cash. Its unfortunate the condition is less than the seller implied, but all the issues noted are things easily verified in photos or inspection. You cant ever trust a sellers subjective Liam’s about a game.

I think the $600 refund is the best case scenario.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

On any Bally solid state game that is getting a new PF replacing the shitty sockets isn't an option unless you sell half ass games.

Yeah well, you think that and don't get pictures you end up with a thread like this.

#24 1 year ago

Don’t buy without seeing the machine (lesson learned). Literally every for sale ad says “very nice” and “shopped” and “100%” working. These words mean nothing. My last game’s ad said all that and I put 40 hours labor and lots of $ in parts making it right. I knew what it was after seeing it so I didn’t mind, though. If you don’t have time to fix it I would just sell it, cut your loses, and buy another one in the condition you want. Good luck and hope you find a machine you like.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from cyroute:

For $3600 I would expect a perfect playing game 100%. Replacing the lamp sockets is a standard when replacing the playfield in my opinion. I know how much work is involved in doing a playfield swap so $3600 would be fair if the game was 100% funtional when you got it. I always tell people who buy pins its not if it will break it is when so anything after the purchase you are pretty much on your own but it should of been 100% when you got it. A base Star Trek is 1300 to 1600 so 2k extra for all the work that should of went into the game would of been fair. I think you are stuck with it now and should try to either fix it yourself or find someone willing to do it cheaper than the $1500 guy. Your other option is load it in your car drive 9 hours to my mountain cabin in PA and we can get it up and running in a weekend for less than your guy including gas and you will learn some stuff!
    Joe

I might just take you up on that,

Thanks!

#26 1 year ago

Good restorations start from a solid base (esp for a high production/ not so rare title). If the machine has suffered water damage, and you want a really nice restored example, I might suggest dumping this one at a loss, and put out a WTB for one you are happy with.

That said, if you just want a decent working example, I'm sure you can maybe itemize the work with the tech. Exactly how many lamps are bad.. exactly how bad are the flippers? Repro stuff is available for this title, so I don't see it being too costly.

#27 1 year ago

$1500 is crazy to redo the lights and flippers.

Buy 50 of these for $45 bucks, and a good soldering iron, and a few hours work and you’re done.

There’s even a video on how to do it. Easy.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1360-yoppsicle/05558-yoppsicle-omni-led-stick-panel-of-50-warm-white

Flippers - same thing. $50 of parts, check out YouTube for videos. It’s not rocket science, probably take you an hour and a half to do both flippers first time out.

rd

#28 1 year ago

If all about expectations I feel. I recently bought a Bally Playboy. It was a basket case. Paid $1500 for it and new what I was getting into. Than paid kruzman $1500 for a new playfield, then bought new sockets, leds, flipper kits, proper legs, stencil kit, glass blah blah, blah. Spent a ton of money, learned a lot. Had a lot of help from folks here on Pinside. Thank you all!!

I personally don’t think you got taken that badly based on what I just paid to get my machine going but then again, I knew that is what I was going to have to do. Managing expectations is critical.

George

#29 1 year ago

A King Rex, huh? Pm sent

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from GPS:

If all about expectations I feel. I recently bought a Bally Playboy. It was a basket case. Paid $1500 for it and new what I was getting into. Than paid kruzman $1500 for a new playfield, then bought new sockets, leds, flipper kits, proper legs, stencil kit, glass blah blah, blah. Spent a ton of money, learned a lot. Had a lot of help from folks here on Pinside. Thank you all!!
    I personally don’t think you got taken that badly based on what I just paid to get my machine going but then again, I knew that is what I was going to have to do. Managing expectations is critical.
    George

Thanks!

I do not feel taken necessarily. When I see 100%, beautiful etc. in a listing, I am thinking one thing, but certainly might have to be adjusting that for a 40+ year old pinball machine. With the $300 I spent yesterday to get some game play issues resolved, it is playing and looking the best, since i have had it.

#31 1 year ago

I see you are new here, $3600 for a Bally ST is insane. Should have never pulled the trigger on that.

#32 1 year ago

That's a tough pill to swallow, sorry to hear about all of the problems. I think there is a lot of good informaiton from other people above about trying to work on it yourself to learn more about the machine. Once you start working on some of the issues, you will realize most of the items you mentioned are fairly easy to correct. Ask questions here for anything you need help with.

I'm curious to know if you paid $3600 initially and received $600 back making your total purchase $3000 or if you paid $4200 initially and received $600 back for a total of $3600 final purchase price.

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from Monk:

That's a tough pill to swallow, sorry to hear about all of the problems. I think there is a lot of good informaiton from other people above about trying to work on it yourself to learn more about the machine. Once you start working on some of the issues, you will realize most of the items you mentioned are fairly easy to correct. Ask questions here for anything you need help with.
    I'm curious to know if you paid $3600 initially and received $600 back making your total purchase $3000 or if you paid $4200 initially and received $600 back for a total of $3600 final purchase price.

$3600 was the asking price. He lives in Maryland, took about 2 months to find a shipper and get it shipped, so all in all less than ideal experience for me. (shipper also did not strap it down properly, causing cabinet damage) He seems to be a pinball flipper of sorts, as he is mentioned on this site on a previous restoration, and had another Star Trek for sale pretty quick after I got this one. I merely mentioned the game play and bulb issues I was aware of, and he offered the $600. I was not necessarily looking for money back at the time, rather some advice since he knew the game better than I.

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from KingRex71:

$3600 was the asking price. He lives in Maryland, took about 2 months to find a shipper and get it shipped, so all in all less than ideal experience for me. (shipper also did not strap it down properly, causing cabinet damage) He seems to be a pinball flipper of sorts, as he is mentioned on this site on a previous restoration, and had another Star Trek for sale pretty quick after I got this one. I merely mentioned the game play and bulb issues I was aware of, and he offered the $600. I was not necessarily looking for money back at the time, rather some advice since he knew the game better than I.

Sounds like he wasn't particularly surprised that you had complaints, and offering that $600 (a quite hefty refund) without you even asking was his way of quickly and cleanly buying you off.

Again, lessons learned, may as well get the game fixed up to your satisfaction and enjoy it. I wouldn't call it good money after bad at this point, especially if the game has a new playfield.

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from KingRex71:

Star Trek is a pretty easy game to find, especially in the Chicago area. Buying sight unseen is never a good idea, and shipping is always a risk.

#36 1 year ago

take your $600 and consider that a W. Kudos to the seller for even doing that?
    This isn't the most expensive lesson I've read on pinside, so count yourself lucky.

I hope you end up playing the crap out of this machine and having a blast.

#37 1 year ago
    Quoted from cait001:

take your $600 and consider that a W. Kudos to the seller for even doing that?
    This isn't the most expensive lesson I've read on pinside, so count yourself lucky.
    I hope you end up playing the crap out of this machine and having a blast.

Plan on it!!

#38 1 year ago

The magic of Pinside! Not only was I able to get my Star trek up to 99% working through a contact on this thread, but I also am lined up to get the King Rex that I have been searching, for about 5 years.

Star trek, when fully functional, is a great game. I really wish it were 100% when I first got it!

Thank you Pinside!

#40 1 year ago

I have learned to only buy games from people who have a reputation that I am comfortable with, or I have worked with before. That way I know what their ideas of minty condition are. I will keep the experiences and opinions to myself, but I put a lot of value, meaning I will pay much more to buy a game or anything from someone who has earned a reputation. Sure there are plenty of good people selling games that dont have the reputation yet, but that is why a reputation is so valuable. It takes a lot to achieve.
    Otherwise dont gamble with more than you can loose. Anyone who has been in the hobby for years has been burned hard and long. Keep it a hobby.

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from flipit:

The only problem with this hobby is very few people know what a true restoration is. I've worked on many games for customers who bought games that were billed as fully restored from some notable store front operations and nothing was done inside including the lack of solder on wire terminals. Best of luck

The only problem with that is there is no one single opinion as to what a "true" restoration means.

2 months later
    #42 1 year ago

Thanks to Pinside, I found someone local to come over and help a few times, and for the first time since I purchased, I have a 100% working Star Trek! Since I refer to King Rex whenever possible (including this thread) I acquired an excellent example of one in the process. Cheers

20220805_200213 (resized).jpg20220805_200213 (resized).jpg20220805_200255 (resized).jpg20220805_200255 (resized).jpg
    #43 1 year ago

Great follow up. Now play the shit out of those things and just smile!

#44 1 year ago

RonSS I am way ahead of you!

1 year later
    #45 5 months ago

Last follow up!

Star Trek is now 99% new and restored (need to reskin coin door and repaint apron) Local to me, I found a guy selling restored games, and when I inquired, I asked if he would take on my Star Trek. $2200 later, the cabinet and back box are like new. Everything sanded down, new decals, paint, cabinet underside painted and cabinet edges were filled in and cleared over, cabinet protectors attached to the cabinet, coin door interior blasted and painted, new lockdown and siderails and for good measure some LED flipper buttons. In search of a Six million dollar man to put next to it. Red dominates the play field, but I will get some blue legs powder coated for it.

20231030_102201 (resized).jpg20231030_102201 (resized).jpg20231030_102209 (resized).jpg20231030_102209 (resized).jpg20231030_102227 (resized).jpg20231030_102227 (resized).jpg20231030_102245 (resized).jpg20231030_102245 (resized).jpg20231030_102306 (resized).jpg20231030_102306 (resized).jpg
    #46 5 months ago

A Six Million Dollar Man will pair nicely with your Six Thousand Dollar Star Trek.

#47 5 months ago

I've heard King Rex is the $5000 version of the $500 King Tut.

#48 5 months ago

King Tut just sold at Captain’s but I didn’t pay attention to what it went for - the Star Trek looks awesome !

#49 5 months ago

King Rex got big bucks there, King Tut not so much.

#50 5 months ago

https://bid.captainsauctionwarehouse.com/lot-details/index/catalog/103/lot/26273

Same auction I got The Wiggler, Nine Ball, and Jumpin' Jacks from. Lots of rare and cool stuff that day.

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buyers-remorse-bally-star-trek?hl=drypaint and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.