Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Damonator
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8A2BE474-B6E1-49BD-AF8E-6CE0879036E3 (resized).jpeg
    RUSH (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

I got out of the hobby a long time ago and have sold and not bought in a long time. I’m down to two pins. My question is are some of you kicking yourself in the ass for buying the FOMO pin for a ridiculous amount of money realizing that it’s not a great game and certainly not worth the money you paid?

#2 2 years ago

No, but I definitely have seller's remorse.

#3 2 years ago

In this market you’ll have no problem selling

#4 2 years ago

I just buy cheep machines and try to restore them. If I can restore them I either keep them or sell them for a lot more. Or for the really bad one’s I resell parts.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from NEW-B:

No, but I definitely have seller's remorse.

I have some seller’s remorse too. Wish I didn’t sell my TZ mostly. That was my first pin and I should’ve kept it.

#6 2 years ago

Yes, especially on RRWOZ. Beautiful game but such a turd. Dropped about $10k and regretted it instantly. This was back when you took a loss on NIB games. Now the hobby has gone full blown retard and you can almost name your price.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Yes, especially on RRWOZ. Beautiful game but such a turd. Dropped about $10k and regretted it instantly. This was back when you took a loss on NIB games. Now the hobby has gone full blown retard and you can almost name your price.

Agree with WOZ and the hobby. I couldn't imagine paying 18 grand for a Deadpool LE. Decent game but not 18 grand decent.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

I got out of the hobby a long time ago and have sold and not bought in a long time. I’m down to two pins. My question is are some of you kicking yourself in the ass for buying the FOMO pin for a ridiculous amount of money realizing that it’s not a great game and certainly not worth the money you paid?

Besides people losing $500-1000 trying to unload their Halloween/Ultraman "spots," there's no such thing as buyers' remorse on NIB pinball machines any more.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Besides people losing $500-1000 trying to unload their Halloween/Ultraman "spots," there's no such thing as buyers' remorse on NIB pinball machines any more.

$2000+ loss for me with my Ultraman

Took 6 weeks to sell it also.

But otherwise love the crazy market.

#11 2 years ago

I made monies on GB and was still disgusted to own it.

#12 2 years ago

I don't even get the buyer's remorse thing. I buy a game. I play it. If I decide to sell and I lose money, that's money that went toward my enjoyment of the machine for however long I owned it. It's a hobby, not an investment--if I want that, I'll buy stocks.

Shortest turnaround for me was MBrLE. Bought it, finished the game in 3 months, and sold it at a $1500 (or so) loss. These days, of course, I could have sold the game and made $3000...but if you keep thinking like that you'll never sell anything and then you'll end up like one of those people on that Hoarders show.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

...that's money that went toward my enjoyment of the machine for however long I owned it...

...realizing that it’s not a great game...

#14 2 years ago

I had it with my IJ because I didn’t like the game. I bought it because everyone back then raved about it. So I guess FOMO?

Wanted to sell it back around 2001 for <$2000 but no one wanted it so I still have it.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

I had it with my IJ because I didn’t like the game. I bought it because everyone back then raved about it. So I guess FOMO?
    Wanted to sell it back around 2001 for <$2000 but no one wanted it so I still have it.

Fine, I’ll take it for that.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballboy:

I just buy cheep machines and try to restore them. If I can restore them I either keep them or sell them for a lot more. Or for the really bad one’s I resell parts.

Where are these cheap machines you speak of?

#17 2 years ago

nope, never bought into the FOMO
    leave the foolishness to others

#18 2 years ago

My question is are some of you kicking yourself in the ass for buying the FOMO pin for a ridiculous amount of money realizing that it’s not a great game and certainly not worth the money you paid?

Rarely. I have definitely bought games that did not live up to my self inflicted hype. Some of my biggest losses (which I measure in percentage of purchase price not total dollars) were on games that ended up being quite valuable later.

Over time, I have sharpened my skills to avoid being caught by fomo or hype. I still win some and lose some.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinless:

Where are these cheap machines you speak of?

Takes a “lot”of research and finding to get one.

#20 2 years ago

Not really. They're not hard to move and in 4 years, I've only lost more then a few hundred on a game one time.

It's not an investment for me, it's a hobby with the added benefit of not plummeting in value

#21 2 years ago

I've supported this hobby/habit by buying dead pins, fixing them up then
    selling if I (or my wife) doesn't like it. Repeat. That has kept costs down, given
    us a chance to own and play a LOT of pins. The only pin I regret selling
    is Paragon. One of my first, had a LOT into it and at the time was happy
    to get my money out (make maybe $100). But it was a great pin and
    would like to find another.
    Steve

#22 2 years ago

My only buyers remorse is I didn't buy some of the games I could have around 2005 ish that went for pennies on the dollar to what they are going for now! Could have had that Paragon in nice shape for $900 a few short years ago but passed. Had about 30 pins at one point and sold all but a dozen at great prices before the market went crazy. Should have waited but needed the cash/space. Now happy with the games I have, and playing out once in a while to play the new stuff. Good enough for me!

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

My only buyers remorse is I didn't buy some of the games I could have around 2005 ish that went for pennies on the dollar to what they are going for now! Could have had that Paragon in nice shape for $900 a few short years ago but passed. Had about 30 pins at one point and sold all but a dozen at great prices before the market went crazy. Should have waited but needed the cash/space. Now happy with the games I have, and playing out once in a while to play the new stuff. Good enough for me!

To be fair, games are still selling for pennies on the dollar, its just 150 pennies/dollar now. Where you are at sounds perfect to me though. Happy with the games you got and a nice night out to try something new. Congrats on that!

#24 2 years ago

Would this give you buyers remorse? 2 weeks old

RUSH (resized).jpgRUSH (resized).jpg
    #25 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

And it's almost unplayable with the metal protectors on it! Look at the other hole protector...wow.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

My only buyers remorse is I didn't buy some of the games I could have around 2005 ish that went for pennies on the dollar to what they are going for now! ...

If it's any consolation - pinheads were saying the same thing in 2005 about pre-2000 games.

Come to think of it, they still are actually.

#27 2 years ago

I have seller's remorse, but not the kind that most people have..I regret selling my Theatre of Magic (for $2000, mind you) to some ass-jockey across town. You'd figure for that price he'd be super happy and never want to hear from me again, mainly for fear of me coming to my senses for selling it to him for 2K. No such luck. This cock-gobbler contacted me 2x a week to ask questions like, "how long did you own it' , "can you give me the name of the guy YOU bought it from"? and other such nonsense. Mind you, this was AFTER he bought and took the machine! After about the 3rd week, after threatening to kick him in the throat if he bothered me again, he stopped. What a tool!

#28 2 years ago

Stern NIB is such a gamble. You gambled you lost, sucks. They need to do something for you. I regret selling my GBLE with a new playfield and a beautiful Whirlwind. All the others, no so much.

Quoted from woody76:

[quoted image]

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Learned a big lesson on that game and lost $1000 as well. You live and you learn….

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

That’s hilarious!

#31 2 years ago

I've been fortunate that all the games I over paid for or bought out of fomo have appreciated in value immensely just recently. Like the NIB GB LE I bought in 2016 for $12k. Always thought I would take a loss if I ever decided to sell it, not sure that is the case anymore.

#32 2 years ago

Luckily no, i was online to buy a Thunderbirds machine, but complained about the delays in the game shipping that I was paid out in full

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

[quoted image]

I invented a time machine and went in the past 2 weeks to play that example this afternoon on location.

8A2BE474-B6E1-49BD-AF8E-6CE0879036E3 (resized).jpeg8A2BE474-B6E1-49BD-AF8E-6CE0879036E3 (resized).jpeg
    #34 2 years ago

Those aftermarket guys are quick!

#35 2 years ago

My question is are some of you kicking yourself in the ass for buying the FOMO pin for a ridiculous amount of money realizing that it’s not a great game and certainly not worth the money you paid?

I never buy pins that are a ridiculous price, and I don't generally fall into the FOMO trap. I'm a patient bargain hunter. So, no regrets.

I've got plenty of pins to keep me busy, anyhow.

#36 2 years ago

Does trader’s remorse involve both buyer's and seller’s remorse at the same time? I had a beautiful Tron and traded it for a JP premium and went from stoked to remorseful before I even pulled into my driveway. Overall JP is probably a better game, but Tron is Tron and I think that was my one shot to own one. And that thing was MEAN, even for a Tron.

#37 2 years ago

I get both sellers and buyers remorse.

Sellers remorse because "I'll never get that game back for what I paid for it"

And buyer remorse because "I shouldn't have spent that much money on a pinball machine".

#38 2 years ago

Nope. I play everything a lot before I buy. And if I don’t I just make sure it’s a price I’m comfortable about getting most of it back if I want to sell it later.

#39 2 years ago

If you have buyer's remorse on a pinball machine, perhaps you should consider location play before you make your next purchase.

Also, no remorse buying or selling.

I buy to play, not to invest. This isn't my career, it's my hobby.

If I ever sell, it's only to get another pin.

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

[quoted image]

No way!

How many plays are on that thing? Did you put mylar down then you removed the protector?

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

[quoted image]

And that's why 'HUO' in for sale ads are meaningless to me.

#42 2 years ago

I don't think I've had buyers remorse on any game I've purchased. Sellers remorse - Yes, all the time.

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from V8haha:

No way!
    How many plays are on that thing? Did you put mylar down then you removed the protector?

What game is this?

#44 2 years ago

The RUSH pinballs at EAG in London had two blue rubber blocks on the side of the lockout.

Stern are trying options.

Buyers Remorse.. maybe 1 or 2.. swapped a real nice LOTR for BSD & CONGO.. both of those didn’t last long.

Pins I have sold
    LOTR X2
    DH
    TZ
    IJ
    CC
    BBB
    TAF
    AFM
    TOM
    SM
    GOTG LE
    D.I LE - just sold
    G&R LE - just sold

Missed a few and so bought them back
    AFM
    TAFG
    DH
    BBB -coming back soon

I wish I could keep all the games, they all offer something different, some kind of Wow factor. Space is an issue.I really do envy you guys in the US with basements.

#45 2 years ago

A few games comes to mind for me. One was the good ol Iron Man Classic. I got a ton of shit for that game and everyone thought it was a complete dog without the magnets,etc. I think I paid $2600 for it and people instantly said it was only worth $1700 and I over payed & got screwed. It was really difficult(near impossible) to get rid of. I ended up using it as trade bait for a concrete job and received $3500 trade for it. Would I buy another Iron Man Classic-No Did I enjoy it while I had it-Yes

Another one was Skateball. I had my wife play O-dins CQ Skateball in Cali and she fell in love with it and said she wanted to get one. So I started the hunt for a Skateball. I ended up finding a real nice one and brought it home. Weeks turned into months and guess what? The wife did not play Skateball like she said she would and it started to collect dust. I ended up losing $400 on that one and the worst part was I was offered a Nine Ball for it in trade and I declined(talk about regrets).

My other regret was a re-imported Johnny Mnemonic. I got a good deal on it but I probably should have opened up the hood and had a better look. I think every socket had corrosion and rust from container storage, the cabinet was faded bad and it was a shitty playing game with the slow glove. It did help me realize you pay for what you get and sometimes a bargain turns into a jalopy. Live and learn

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

[quoted image]

Exactly why I don't buy LE's - you never want the first lot of machines off the line
    I always go for a later build premium, once they work through the unforeseen issues

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

[quoted image]

Come on stern!?

#48 2 years ago

Agree with WOZ and the hobby. I couldn't imagine paying 18 grand for a Deadpool LE. Decent game but not 18 grand decent.

Lol - why the hate on DPLE? You as much as anyone understand that LEs by nature are expensive to collect. Any LE in the top 20 (or top 5 in the case of DP) is going to cost a lot.

TronLE is a good game - but is it $25k good?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buyers-remorse-?hl=asmig and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.