96DD8326-7A0A-4FEE-9CE5-4F7DC4BB9F83 (resized).jpeg
EF58E7EB-5348-4B4D-A8D7-BDD327653EE0 (resized).jpeg
1A1D2C00-6A5D-434A-A63B-B77A0EE5D9E0 (resized).png
025FD720-4D84-47BB-88A4-4C9FE9E2F204.gif
IMG_5702 (resized).JPG
IMG_5778 (resized).JPG
IMG_5703 (resized).JPG
sttng (resized).png
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

Buyers be cautious if you are thinking of dealing with Pintastic Pinball in Riverside/Orange County California. I see he has a STAR TREK THE NEXT GENERATION for sale on Craigslist right now with the same description...Plays 100%. The machine I recently purchased did NOT play 100% as he advertised. I had the machine shipped and within 15 minutes of plugging it in and playing, the machine had 3 issues. I have had other machines shipped and never experienced major problems with them. The machine continues to have issues and I am now disputing the purchase with my credit card company. There are many reputable retailers who sell pinball machines as their full-time business that I will purchase from again. I will not buy again from Pintastic Pinball.

So you want the whole story...

First off I'm not a newbie or new to pinball. I'm new to Pinside and wanted to warn potential buyers that Brian Moyes of Pintastic Pinball in Corona/Eastvale California is not a reputable seller. Unfortunately, I have learned this the hard way but now know he has a "reputation" in the local pinball community.

My first machine was a Williams Jokerz (1988) that I purchased years ago from a retailer that yes, had some quirks typical of a pinball machine. They were addressed by the business as it was under warranty and it has worked like a gem ever since.

After getting hooked, I purchased a White Water (1993), Theatre of Magic (1995), Simpsons Pinball Party (2003) and Attack From Mars LE and had them shipped to Hawaii. There is an arcade tech here that has helped with minor issues like loose connectors etc that happen in shipping.

Fast forward now to the situation I find myself in.

I was looking for a Tales of the Arabian Nights which is a hard game to find and by chance I saw one offered by Brian Moyes. I had extensive conversations with Brian & asked for a video and additional photos of the game. He assured me it was in 100% working order and that he just needed to replace a cracked ramp. I made a deal with Brian and paid $8350 plus $140 extra for him to install a ColorDMD & move the battery pack off the board. I also paid over $940 to ship the machine out of my pocket.
The ColorDMD install by Brian went wrong and he had problems with the machine after or he blew out the ColorDMD and never told me. (I have installed a ColorDMD myself so I know how easy it is to do.)

Next problem, shipping was delayed almost 3 weeks as come to find out he was having problems with the power driver board which is the constant problem we have now. It continuously blew fuses with the original board so he installed a Rottendog which was "working great” as Brian said. He never told us he had to replace the board until we asked AFTER it arrived here & saw a different board installed. We paid to have the original board inspected or repaired by a tech in California only to be told nothing is wrong with it. Brian admitted to using the original board in his Champion Pub pinball machine.

We gave Brian chance after chance to make this right but he has not helped. He knew of the issue of the fuses blowing and tried to put a band aid fix which hasn't worked longer than 15 minutes since setting up the game. As soon as we turned on the machine and went into the menu it said "Vanishing Magnet Broken" and showed that the Rom was not updated. Also, the ball kept getting stuck on the Tiger lock magnet & found the core plug was mushroomed beyond repair. The slide mechanism lever retainers were bent and the playfield could not be elevated by 1 person.

We called around asking techs in CA about what could be the cause and by chance we found the tech that worked on it. He confirmed that Brian knew there were issues but sent it anyway. Brian told us he felt pressured to ship the machine so he sent it. REALLY??? Who sends a machine over an ocean that is not working to begin with? A machine that was advertised as 100%!?!

So now we are stuck in paradise with an expensive pretty wooden box to look at that does not work.

At this point our local tech has spent countless hours trying to trace a pinched wire or somewhere that is causing the short and blowing the fuses. The machine was clearly misrepresented and if you were in my shoes you would be upset as well. The time and energy involved is gut wrenching especially because I've had such a great time collecting pinball machines. I can only imagine if this was my first pinball machine I would have never purchase another machine.
I am posting this for other pinball enthusiasts as I wish someone had warned me… Sh*t matters when it happens to YOU.

IMG_5702 (resized).JPGIMG_5702 (resized).JPGIMG_5703 (resized).JPGIMG_5703 (resized).JPGIMG_5778 (resized).JPGIMG_5778 (resized).JPG

#2 5 years ago

Oh boy, here we go

#3 5 years ago

If I take my own perfectly working games to a pinball expo, they arrive with at least 3 problems.

Pins don't seem to like being moved.

#4 5 years ago

You break a STTNG by just breathing on the thing. If you got 15 minutes of solid play coming off a truck on one, that’s a 4 Star review minimum.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Hulagirl:

the machine had 3 issues.

What were the three issues ?

LTG : )

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

You break a STTNG by just breathing on the thing. If you got 15 minutes of solid play coming off a truck on one, that’s a 4 Star review minimum.

True

#7 5 years ago

I dealt with pintastic on a number of occasions and have not had any problems with him shipping up to the Canadian border. Your machine is a bug riddled typical sttng shit fest. I looked at mine the wrong way it would behave like yours. Sorry for your frustrations nonetheless.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from hailrazer:

Pins don't seem to like being moved.

Totally agree. I had my TZ working in my house for 4 years and soon as I powered it up after moving it to a pinball show, I had a coil not work and another issue that I can't recall. That was only a 20 minute ride in a uhaul truck.

First off, I would contact Pintastic Pinball to see if they can help work out the issues, especially if it may take a board swap to get you going, I bet they would do this. Possibly even have someone come out on their behalf.

Second, post the issues to see if we can help.

#9 5 years ago

It's too bad you started a profile just to post this. It doesn't sound like you have tried to remedy the problems with Pintastic Pinball.
-Mike

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

LOL

Glad you're back, dude

#11 5 years ago

Probably spits out balls all the time, a flipper sticks and a string of lights out or maybe resets?

#12 5 years ago

I'm more offended that he's using the Pintastic moniker.

#13 5 years ago

One loose wire on an opto board could cause 3 problems. A brand new game can ship with 3 problems. This is pinball! Post the problems and I am sure someone can help. Maybe contact pintastic for help?

#14 5 years ago

Sttng is 20 plus years old. They in my opinion are one of the most complex games designed. Consider yourself lucky that a game like that even launched a ball and started a game after being shipped. You're filing a dispute, give me a break. Give the seller a chance to help you before flying off the deepend and causing him unneeded stress of a chargeback.

#15 5 years ago

She didn't buy a sttng. They have one for sale on Craigslist she is warning about. She bought a different game from them.
Not defending her, machines break when moved just clarifying

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

She bought a different game from them.

Correct. And that is the game she did buy is the one with troubles. Since TOTAN is linked, it must be the one with issues.

Quoted from Hulagirl:

The machine I recently purchased did NOT play 100% as he advertised. I had the machine shipped and within 15 minutes of plugging it in and playing, the machine had 3 issues. I have had other machines shipped and never experienced major problems with them. The machine continues to have issues and I am now disputing the purchase with my credit card company.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Correct. And that is the game she did buy is the one with troubles. Since TOTAN is linked, it must be the one with issues.

Maybe jpop can help her?

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Sttng is 20 plus years old. They in my opinion are one of the most complex games designed. Consider yourself lucky that a game like that even launched a ball and started a game after being shipped. You're filing a dispute, give me a break. Give the seller a chance to help you before flying off the deepend and causing him unneeded stress of a chargeback.

I would say a game with issues is unneeded stress too, What machine and what was the sale price? Does it really matter, The buyer is not happy with the seller and the product they got. The buyer has ever right to do as they please file what ever they want to.

#19 5 years ago

Flipping games?

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from Brtlkat:

I would say a game with issues is unneeded stress too, What machine and what was the sale price? Does it really matter, The buyer is not happy with the seller and the product they got. The buyer has ever right to do as they please file what ever they want to.

Ok, ya, but the buyer has to keep their expectations in check. You can’t buy a new Ford Focus and them complain that the top speed isn’t fast enough. Know what to expect befor you purchase a product. (Sorry for the cargument, but you could use the analogy for a million different products)

The reality with pinball is that one minor repair could fix multiple complex problems simultaneously. ( one broken wire might be the issue, and that’s nothing to complain about)

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Hulagirl:

Buyers be cautious if you are thinking of dealing with Pintastic Pinball in Riverside/Orange County California. I see he has a STAR TREK THE NEXT GENERATION for sale on Craigslist right now with the same description...Plays 100%. The machine I recently purchased did NOT play 100% as he advertised. I had the machine shipped and within 15 minutes of plugging it in and playing, the machine had 3 issues. I have had other machines shipped and never experienced major problems with them. The machine continues to have issues and I am now disputing the purchase with my credit card company. There are many reputable retailers who sell pinball machines as their full-time business that I will purchase from again. I will not buy again from Pintastic Pinball.

As others have asked:

1) What are the 3 issues?

2) "The machine continues to have issues".... What issues? More than the 3 issues?

3) I do not like to assume so...Have you contacted the seller and voiced your issues? If so, what did the seller say to you? Did he have a chance to make it right? Or did he tell you to take a hike?

Your post is long on accusations but short on detail.

#22 5 years ago

Sounds like NIB might be a better option for the OP but even then....

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from Hulagirl:

1) Sucks that the game has issues. I had a party a few weeks back and 4 of my games developed issues. (One of them after it had been on for about an hour).
2) One of the truths of pinball is that machines break, and you have to fix them. I fixed the four games I had that went down during my party. Comes with the territory.
3) As has been said, that game is a maintenance nightmare. If it worked 100% for 15 minutes, I'd say it worked as advertised. If you can't deal with broken pinball machines, you probably shouldn't buy pinball machines.
4) I've had games that made long distance travels and arrived perfectly working, and I've had others that didn't. Shipping is hit and miss. Doesn't take much to throw an opto switch out of alignment, for example.
4) Try resolving this with the seller before doing something dumb. He just might have helped you.

#24 5 years ago

I believe the seller is here on pinside, perhaps he will chime in...a game not working after shipping is not uncommon...

#25 5 years ago

Every time I move a pin, some little gremlins show up. It's the name of the game. It's frustrating, but something that you gotta expect. Usually it's small. But troubleshooting can really suck the fun outta setting up a new machine to play.

#26 5 years ago
sttng (resized).pngsttng (resized).png
#27 5 years ago

I'm curious. You mentioned that you are disputing the transaction with your CC company.

Do you plan on shipping the pin back? That might be a bit of an overreaction since something probably just needs to be reseated that came loose during shipping.

I also wonder what the three issues are.

#28 5 years ago

3 issues: (in MY opinion)
1-newbie member - unaware of this helpful community
2-Yet to donate to pinside but still use it as a platform to complain about fellow member
3-Username suggests ability to overreact

#29 5 years ago

Withdrawn

#30 5 years ago

For those of us that do credit card transactions and have had customers wrongfully dispute charges, this just pisses me off.

This is what you should do...

1) work with the seller/shipper to resolve the problem
2) if the seller/shipper isn't being helpful, file a complaint with the BBB
3) ask for help in a forum like this (there may be a pinsider who lives within a short drive of you who would help you out, or it might be a very simple fix)
4) call a repair person and have it fixed... send the repair bill to the seller/shipper
5) if the repair is more than $500, and they refuse to pay, take them to small claims court

What you can not do is call your credit card company and dispute the charge. There is nothing to dispute here... you authorized the transaction, and they delivered what they offered... it just got a little jostled in the shipping

#31 5 years ago

Curious to hear from OP. 6 pins in the collection so I would hope it's more than a wire coming off an opto. Who has 6 pins and doesn't know how to work on one.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Curious to hear from OP. 6 pins in the collection so I would hope it's more than a wire coming off an opto. Who has 6 pins and doesn't know how to work on one.

People that write checks. Not saying that is the case here, but you'd be very surprised how many people have a $20K collection and dont know how to take the glass off.....

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Hulagirl:

Mistake #1. Sounds like you bought this game over the internet from someone that you dont know without seeing it and playing it. Bad idea, i dont care what anyone says!

These games get bounced around on trucks during shipping alot so theres no guarantee that your game is going to arrive in perfect working condition. Its pretty obvious that you have no ability to work on your own games and truthfully thats ok and I won’t slam you for that because most people that first get into pinball dont know jack shit either and everybody has to start somewhere. If you dont know some basic repairs though and you dont intend on learning how to work on these games then you better have a pocket full of money and a good repair guy close to you. If you dont have a repair guy near you and money to spend on upkeep of your games then this hobby is not for you, its that simple. I do not see the seller being at fault here whatsoever to be honest with you.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Mistake #1. Sounds like you bought this game over the internet from someone that you dont know without seeing it and playing it. Bad idea, i dont care what anyone says!

So no one should even buy NIB games either?

#35 5 years ago

Man, judging by the comments above, times have changed around here...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-story-of-my-first-pin-entitled-how-i-got-choggarded

Seems a bit premature to pick a side on this one unless more details come out.

#36 5 years ago

if you don't want to learn how to fix problems with games, find a different hobby. Straight up.

#37 5 years ago

Come on man dont be silly. NIB you know what to expect. I can sell you a used game and tell you its in pristine condition and when you get it your idea of pristine may be different than mine, and then theres that trust factor also about someone selling you a game that is supposed to be great, only to arrive at your house being a worn out piece of shit. I dont buy used games without seeing them and playing them unless i know and trust the seller. Its just not a good idea to do that.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

if you don't want to learn how to fix problems with games, find a different hobby. Straight up.

Unless you got lots of money for upkeep and repairs. Working on them and keeping them clean and looking good is half the fun though honestly.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from Jgel:

Sounds like NIB might be a better option for the OP but even then....

I've had (and seen) NIB that needed fixed/adjusted after un-boxing. Sometimes a pin can really take a beating in shipping.

Quoted from NPO:

People that write checks. Not saying that is the case here, but you'd be very surprised how many people have a $20K collection and dont know how to take the glass off.....

Very true statement here and it never ceases to amaze me whenever I see it. But it my experience the number is much higher.

#40 5 years ago

#41 5 years ago

How are people ignoring the best part of the story? You paid $8350 for a TOTAN??? The expensive shipping I get, sounds like you're in Hawaii, but damn, eight thousand three hundred and fifty dollars for Tales Of The Wish Your Way To The End Of The Game?

Brian is just a flipper, he gets games, he moves them out. He isn't a tech, he has people work on things for him. He's not gonna rip you off, he's also not going to send you something gone over with a fine tooth comb. If you can't fix a game, or don't have a tech, then it doesn't really matter though, because shit breaks in shipping anyways. Don't buy games from overseas if you can't fix them.

I wouldn't send a game to Hawaii personally, because I'd be afraid of dealing with exactly this kind of post if a wire came loose, who wants the hassle?

#42 5 years ago

Seems like a troll or a bitter business rival at this point. Makes an account just to call out one specific vendor, provides little to no backstory of the problem or attempted resolution, then disappears like something in the wind.

#43 5 years ago

The OP updated the first post, you should go back and read it.

#44 5 years ago

You can't ask for anyone's opinion here, because keep in mind, this hobby is full of entitled people who have more money than sense...

Yeah - that's it.

That's what filing a Civil suit is for. Sometimes you have to learn the hard way - but fight back for sure.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Does seem like the new wave of people entering the pinball world are fitting this profile.

#46 5 years ago

I have to side with the buyer given the updated post. If what he says is true the machine was knowingly shipped with issues. If I were the buyer I would post a tech thread and just get it working though. Seems the techs that looked at it were not as good as some of the guys here. I have had some talented people help me find problems and I am grateful.

#47 5 years ago

Also he paid a premium. The machine should have been 100% at least at shipping.

#48 5 years ago
025FD720-4D84-47BB-88A4-4C9FE9E2F204.gif025FD720-4D84-47BB-88A4-4C9FE9E2F204.gif
#49 5 years ago
Quoted from Hulagirl:

paid $8350 plus $140 extra for him to install a ColorDMD & move the battery pack off the board. I also paid over $940 to ship the machine out of my pocket.

#50 5 years ago

Those are some serious man-hands for a girl.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 64.99
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 63.95
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.99
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buyers-be-cautious?hl=darcangeloel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.