Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by NPO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flflier.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#1 5 years ago

I saw there is already a post by someone who had a bad experience with Treasure Cove. I just wanted to mention that I had a similar experience. I bought a Scared Stiff from them for close to $7000 and this game was not really restored. Just a paint touch up and service. Once I got it home, after a week or two, is when I started noticing problems with lights not working. Many of the multi pin connectors were severely corroded or disintegrated from what I guessed was a salt air environment. I had to hire a local pinball repair person and pay a small fortune to get it fixed. When you buy from Treasure Cove they do not give you a warranty and make you pay a non refundable deposit. Your best bet is to fly out there and inspect the game first before any money is exchanged.

#7 5 years ago

This was about 5 years ago and Allen was still there. I met him actually in front of that infamous garage door you always see on ipdb.org. He was a very nice guy. Yes, sadly he passed away about 2 years ago according to their website. I think his brother Ray is running the business now. I agree, some of their restorations looked amazing which is why I bought from them. Not sure why I had a problem. I think some machines they put more effort into then others or possibly they were just trying to crank them out too quickly. Could be they have improved since then but I wanted to share my experience anyway.

#13 5 years ago

HAHAH, yes I am posting about a problem I had 5 years ago because I saw this post which was much more recent and I had a similar experience:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buyer-beware

I thought I was the only one who had an issue with treasure cove but apparently not. My thought was just to give folks a heads up because if they sold machines in the past claiming a "full restoration" when they are not, they could certainly still be doing this.

#19 5 years ago

I think this is still relevant. It happened 5 years ago BUT then happened again 1 year ago. So at least between 2013 and 2017 they were still doing this. That's a 4 spread.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from athens95:

Why would you bring this up? TC doesn’t sell restored pins since Allen died. He has been gone like 2-3 years? So who are you telling beware?!?!
    Their decals are still sold and top notch.

Yah, they do still sell restored pins.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from onemoresean:

If it was just touched up why did you try to sell it in 2016 as "fully restored by Allen Shope of TreasureCove Pinball"?

Because I paid someone else to complete the restoration.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from egyptrus:

I'm not really understanding your point here. You're saying that you just came across a post from a year ago that reminded you of a bad experience from 5 years ago and figured it was about time to "out" treasure cove for that?
    While I think we all appreciate being warned about bad buyers/sellers/vendors, it seems that complaining about something that happened 5 years ago doesn't really help as it's not pertinent to what that vendor may be doing today.

Well the same thing happened much more recently according to another user. It's not everyday you spend this kind of $$ on a pin and especially if you are buying it site-unseen. I'm just pointing out that someone recently had the same experience. These games are going for between 8 and 10K now. Wouldn't you want to know as much as possible before ordering something this expensive online? I wish someone had warned me.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

Did you change your name to Allen Shope?

No, I changed my name to stevevt

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from athens95:

Liar, they have NOT sold a restored pin since Allen died. I would know as I make the decals for treasurecove.
    Call a spade a spade here people.

Spade to spade, now you are a liar. Dude did you even check their website? They are STILL selling!

"Pinball Machines - Restored and Ready For Sale"

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #29 5 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

5 years ago!!! You shitting me? And you're coming around now to stir the pot. Just wow
    Move along, nothing to see here
    -Mike

No man, the post was from just a year ago!

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from PaulCoff:

It would be more relevant for Allen to come back from the dead and down vote you.

Sure would. Then he can sell you a shitty pin.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

From your ad:
    ITEM DESCRIPTION
    Beautiful Scared Stiff machine fully restored by Allen Shope of TreasureCove Pinball. I have had this beauty as the main showpiece in my living room. Excellent condition and an absolute blast to play (especially with Elvira's adult humor). Selling only because we are downsizing homes, otherwise I would keep her."
    But you did not say you paid someone else to complete the restoration which I assume you considered inferior.
    "I bought a Scared Stiff from them for close to $7000 and this game was not really restored. Just a paint touch up and service."
    But yet in your ad above you are singing the praises of this Allen Shope.
    Which is it? Either he made a complete and "fully restored" pin, or he didn't and you had to pay some one else. Why give credit to this Allen guy when you had to pay someone else? And then come here way later and say Allen did POS restore job.
    Strange stuff.

Because I thought it was a one-off issue. Now I am learning that other people got ripped off also. Would't you be concerned if you were spending 10 or 12K??? Maybe you are independently wealthy and just don't care.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from madscientist101:

I bought a high end restored TOTAN before Allen passed years ago, Yet he must of been going downhill as I believe I paid like 12K for it or something retarded and it was a huge disappointment. I remember trying to talk to them regarding the game and some of the issues and it was a total nightmare. Stay away from Treasure cove they at one time did good work yet those days are long long gone.

Yep, same exact experience I had. THANKS madscientist101!!

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Here's the thing, Allen died and this is in poor taste. If it just happened then that is one thing. Starting a thread warning people not to use the work of someone that passed away is pretty low. Allen's brother mainly did jukebox work and while he still may be working on a few things TC is no longer doing restores. The website just likely hasn't been updated.

Thank you for pointing this out. I didn't know he had passed away before I posted this, and if they are out of business the point is moot. Out of respect for the family, let's end this thread.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flflier.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buyer-beware-treasure-cove?tu=flflier and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.