Iraqi-tank-in-flames-nr-Tigris-River.jpg
WOZatTNT.jpg
Bruuuce.jpg
screen-capture-7.png
Unknown.jpeg
HomestarRunner.png
4342756.jpg
pasted_image.png
There are 308 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
#2 8 years ago

I would have just said make sure you buy from a authorized distributor of JJP to have a warranty. I think calling out TNT was not needed.

#3 8 years ago

Nice that you don't have to worry about this with Stern - they've never asked who my distributor was when I've needed service.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Nice that you don't have to worry about this with Stern - they've never asked who my distributor was when I've needed service.

For the record, neither has JJP with mine. I bought mine used from another collector, and JJP has be very supportive despite this.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

I would have just said make sure you buy from a authorized distributor of JJP to have a warranty. I think calling out TNT was not needed.

I just think he doesn't want anybody getting screwed.

#6 8 years ago

Maybe.

#8 8 years ago

I would argue that TNT does a lot for the pinball community. I for one appreciate the goofy videos they put out. Someone probably traded them a WOZ for something else - what are they supposed to do not sell it? If anything is questionable here it's Jack's policy. It does nothing for the customer and only exists to benefit Jack and the "authorized distributors."

#9 8 years ago

Pretty sure of it. One sale doesn't make or break Joe's business when he's buying a dozen WOZ machines at a time. What he doesn't like is when customers are lied to about JJP stuff.

It's what I love about Joe - he's a no bullshit guy. And yes, he's out to make money as well. But it's not his first job, and it's not his first priority in this hobby. He loves pinball. Which is why he has like 180 machines (he doesn't even list them all on Pinside).

Love, ya', Joe! Thanks for all your help in the past!

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Do you want to buy a $ 9,000 game with NO WARRANTY ? Didn't think so.

It sucks that Jack does not simply warranty his product.

When a buy a used truck, I still get the remainder of the factory warranty.

No Ford or BMW dealer has ever refused me warranty service because I bought the car second hand.

#11 8 years ago

I would think Todd would support the JJP pin he sold just as any other pin he sold.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

Personally, I wasn't overtly aware that they weren't a distributor (but granted, I haven't been actively looking for a distributor to buy from anyway). They've presented various NIB WoZ games on their youtube channel, so that's likely where the confusion could be coming from.

On the other hand, TNT says they include a service plan of some sort with the games they sell.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It sucks that Jack does not simply warranty his product.
When a buy a used truck, I still get the remainder of the factory warranty.
No Ford or BMW dealer has ever refused me warranty service because I bought the car second hand.

Maybe Mercedes is different? I'm not sure if that is what Pinballstar is saying, but that's the way it reads to me.

I agree with you - I've never had a problem getting factory warranty coverage on a used car, regardless of brand.

Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Similar to buying a new Mercedes at a used car lot.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

On the other hand, TNT says they include a service plan of some sort with the games they sell.

I was curious what their exact terms were so I clicked "Top 10 Reasons to Buy From Us". Kind of funny.

pasted_image.pngpasted_image.png

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

I was curious what their exact terms were so I clicked "Top 10 Reasons to Buy From Us". Kind of funny.

pasted_image.png

http://www.tntamusements.com/services/

#16 8 years ago

Maybe I am missing something but I am guessing the problem is the fixed pricing model. If somebody (such as TNT..a non-authorized seller of WOZ games) trades for a NIB WOZ from an authorized distributor (such as Doughslingers or Pinballstar) and then turns around and sells it for $250 less than the suggested retail the authorized distributors get mad. However, it is the authorized distributors that are the ones doing the trading to increase their revenues. How else would the game get in the hands of a non-WOZ authorized seller? You can't have it both ways. It is not fair to the customers or non-authorized distributors doing the trading.
Either all games should get the equivalent warranty or distributors should not be allowed to trade their games away. Also, these are the same distributors that jumped in the line to get WOZ games before many of us pre-orderers.

#17 8 years ago

This would be a good time for JJP to chime in on this thread as there is conflicting info here about machines not covered from Todd but are covered from private party sales.

If I were a potential customer, this would be confusing.

#18 8 years ago

So Todd is able to buy a game from jjp/ distributor and turn around and sell it cheaper than you can being a distributor. Sounds like your bitch is with Jack.

#19 8 years ago

The problem is Jack's unreasonable warranty restrictions. When you're late time after time, you should be bending over backwards with liberal policies to build customer loyalty.

And calling out a competitor on Pinside is uncool, especially one that has contributed so much to the community.

Bad form.

#20 8 years ago

When I see the OP make a post about a speedtrap on the turnpike, or that he got the runs at the Springfield Chipotle, then I'll maybe believe he's just a great guy looking out for me. Till then, this is just a "Buy-it-from-me-for-more money" and "Todd Tuckey is a scoundrel" thread.

#21 8 years ago

"Don't reward those with no skin in the game who are just looking to flip a game or two to make a quick buck and disappear..."

That sentence shouldn't have appeared in a post complaining about TNT.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

The problem is Jack's unreasonable warranty restrictions. When you're late time after time, you should be bending over backwards with liberal policies to build customer loyalty.

Just for the record, for the most part he has been very supportive on warranty items (even out of warranty items when for things like the LED light boards and power driver boards).

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

When I see the OP make a post about a speedtrap on the turnpike, or that he got the runs at the Springfield Chipotle, then I'll maybe believe he's just a great guy looking out for me. Till then, this is just a "Buy-it-from-me-for-more money" and "Todd Tuckey is a scoundrel" thread.

But if JJP doesn't warranty the game TNT sold when something craps out, you'll be wrong. I only wish we would hear about it here if it happens. But we probably won't.

(And Joe did warn me about the Springfield Chipotle, but I didn't listen. I had Montezuma's revenge for a week after having a bad pork burrito.)

#25 8 years ago

I've heard TNT doesn't offer financing either.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Just for the record, for the most part he has been very supportive on warranty items (even out of warranty items when for things like the LED light boards and power driver boards).

Hey man, I'm just responding to what I'm reading. Anecdotal evidence is nice, but it's not written policy.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from oldtowner:

"Don't reward those with no skin in the game who are just looking to flip a game or two to make a quick buck and disappear..."
That sentence shouldn't have appeared in a post complaining about TNT.

Yeah, WTF. You're talking about a guy who was doing gameplay walkthroughs when there was nothing but VHS, calling him a flipper who's likely to vanish is pretty low.

I get it, distributors are part of the system, and Jack needs to support them.

But when I see things like this it just makes me think that the resale value on JJP games is gonna tank, since they're apparently not supported if you're not the original buyer with a receipt. That sucks for original owners, because it devalues their games.

Dumb policy.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Stern to my knowledge has same policy. So does Planetary. It's to protect customers who are buying the product from those who can service it... To buy from the sources the manufacturer did their due diligence appointing based on reputation, financial capability, geography, etc... If someone's not a distributor don't you think there's a reason behind it ? My point about the Mercedes is you don't go buy a Mercedes from a BMW dealer for a reason. You buy from the sources authorized to do so, those who are knowledgeable and have a direct connection with the company who manufacturers the product. If they aren't on the list - why not ? This has nothing to do used games either - NIB.

I think you need to get JJP to stop authorized distributors from trading their NIB JJP games because it is causing you heartache. If that is not a good plan, then you could start doing what other authorized distributors are doing, wheeling and dealing to keep cash flowing.

#29 8 years ago

I think that this is useful information and I do not believe that the OP had any bad intent. Sure TNT has provided allot for the pinball community and the community and other consumers have supported TNT and allowed them to stay in business for so long. I myself have had issues with Todd after many good transactions, that said, I would not patronize TNT anymore but I would not have any issues sending him customers. If I spend $9,000 on a game it would be incumbent of the buyer to know about a warranty or lack thereof. Also, it is a least partial responsibility of the seller to disclose any information regarding warranty etc. My two cents....

#30 8 years ago

I think it is honorable to be dedicated and speak out on JJP's behalf but I think it should be an announcement made by JJP not a licensed distributor.

Even though I am in a different country, I agree with vid that even in Aus the warranties are transferable for parts on cars etc, maybe not service fees. If the machine hasn't been tapered with and there is a copy of the original purchase receipt with the machine it should be still be covered under a certain type of warranty for parts at least.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Stern to my knowledge has same policy. So does Planetary. It's to protect customers who are buying the product from those who can service it... To buy from the sources the manufacturer did their due diligence appointing based on reputation, financial capability, geography, etc... If someone's not a distributor don't you think there's a reason behind it ? My point about the Mercedes is you don't go buy a Mercedes from a BMW dealer for a reason. You buy from the sources authorized to do so, those who are knowledgeable and have a direct connection with the company who manufacturers the product. If they aren't on the list - why not ? This has nothing to do used games either - NIB. Has nothing to do with competition - he is not a distributor for anything I sell - there is no competition I would ever have with them.

Sorry, the Mercedes analogy makes my point, not yours. Mercedes' warranties go with the car, regardless if I buy one from Todd Tuckey on CL, Acme Mercury/Ford, or Beverly Hills Mercedes. And I can take my Mercedes that I bought from my local dealer and have it serviced under warranty at any of the 2000 Mercedes dealers across the country or across my county...and they all are happy to do the work and have Mercedes send them the warranty check.

THAT is how world-class manufacturers handle warranties.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I think you need to get JJP to stop authorized distributors from trading their NIB JJP games because it is causing you heartache. If that is not a good plan, then you could start doing what other authorized distributors are doing, wheeling and dealing to keep cash flowing.

Yep. That's the root cause of the issue. TNT didn't get that game off Ebay or CL.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

I think that this is useful information and I do not believe that the OP had any bad intent. Sure TNT has provided allot for the pinball community and the community and other consumers have supported TNT and allowed them to stay in business for so long. I myself have had issues with Todd after many good transactions, that said, I would not patronize TNT anymore but I would not have any issues sending him customers. If I spend $9,000 on a game it would be incumbent of the buyer to know about a warranty or lack thereof. Also, it is a least partial responsibility of the seller to disclose any information regarding warranty etc. My two cents....

OP's single intent for this post is to bitch about losing a sale, and try and not lose more to someone else under selling him.
It is veiled as concern for the "Pinball community".

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

It's to protect customers who are buying the product from those who can service it...

I'd rather be protected from those that can't service it.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

Sorry, the Mercedes analogy makes my point, not yours. Mercedes' warranties go with the car, regardless if I buy one from Todd Tuckey on CL, Acme Mercury/Ford, or Beverly Hills Mercedes. And I can take my Mercedes that I bought from my local dealer and have it serviced under warranty at any of the 2000 Mercedes dealers across the country or across my county...and they all are happy to do the work and have Mercedes send them the warranty check.
THAT is how world-class manufacturers handle warranties.

Its hard to place the analogy from cars to pinball. If I bought a WOZ, there isn't anyone within 5 hours who could help me with it. I can't bring it anywhere, I can't get any help.

Doesn't make any sense to even have a dist for me because it'd bascially just be a middle man that shaves off part of the price of woz and sends the rest to JJP.

#36 8 years ago

4342756.jpg4342756.jpg

#37 8 years ago

Todd does a lot for this hobby. He has been around for a long time and knows what he is doing. He also treats his customers great. I am sure he offered them some type of warranty of his own. Stupid JJP warranty policies is just one of the many reasons I would never buy a JJP game. So dumb to only offer warranties on authorized distributors. Looks like a back door exit strategy if things go too wrong with so many games.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

My point about the Mercedes is you don't go buy a Mercedes from a BMW dealer for a reason. You buy from the sources authorized to do so, those who are knowledgeable and have a direct connection with the company who manufacturers the product.

Worst cargument ever. Yes, you can only purchase a NEW (still on MSO, never titled ... NIB) Mercedes at a Mercedes dealer. The warranty is provided by the manufacturer ON THE VEHICLE (not the buyer) for the specified duration. ANYBODY can take that vehicle to a MB dealer during the warranty period and get it repaired under warranty .... guess who that includes ... a BMW dealer BTW (been there done that during my time in the car biz) if the car has an issue covered by the warranty.
If the BMW dealer wants to sell his customer a Mercedes with "0" miles (meaning new ... obviously it will have something ) he can buy it from a MB dealer and sell it as "used" and it will still have the FULL Mercedes warranty behind it (based on the date it was sold to BMW).
If you buy a USED Mercedes at a KIA dealership you are still entitled to what ever factory warranty is available (based on time/mileage etc).

I have even seen customers get reimbursed for repairs that should have been warranty even though it was not done at a dealer but just an independent repair shop.

#39 8 years ago

Who cares about the warranty? All I ever hear is "they are built like a tank".

#40 8 years ago

It sounds like the proper thing to do is for JJP to refer the customer to the original Distributor that was shipped that Serial Number. That way, the dealer that sold it in the first place (possibly at a deep discount to another dealer) is responsible for the added costs and headaches. Not the retailer. If TNT wants to stand behind and support their sale, than that's up to them regardless of JJP warranty policy.

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Do you want to buy a $ 9,000 game with NO WARRANTY ?

You could always be the bigger guy and offer warranty parts for a fellow WOZ owner and win yourself a new future customer !

#42 8 years ago

I'm sure the "official" policy from JJP and Stern is that only games sold through authorized distributors are warrantied. The "unofficial" policy from both JJP and Stern seems to be that the games have a full warranty regardless of where they are purchased. I haven't heard a single story about JJP or Stern not honoring a warranty because the game was bought from an unauthorized distributor.

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

We lost a sale to a customer who got duped this weekend and now has a $ 9,000 toy in their possession with no warranty because that was not disclosed to them nor the fact that they were buying from an unauthorized source.

Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Has nothing to do with competition - he is not a distributor for anything I sell - there is no competition I would ever have with them.

#44 8 years ago

If buying used, tough titties.

Problem I see here is TNT Lists as NEW IN CRATE on their page here: http://www.tntamusements.com/inventory/pinball-machines/.

This thread may be a direct call out, but also could be just a buyer beware warning.

Ive never dealt with either seller, and wont comment on the integrity of any of them

Yes I have watched the TNT vids on youtube, helps you see a lot of games you may not normally have the chance to.

Good luck to all buyers and YAY PINBALL!

#45 8 years ago

Correct, and Jack said it clearly a long time ago:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-nib-wozle-7500-huo-transformers-le-autobots-4500-huo-safecracker-8k?tq&tu=JerseyJack

I'm surprised we have not heard a flood of people with "unauthorized" games that Jack built scream about the lack of support. But I have not heard a single case of it yet. I think if someone owns a game that Jack built, and it had an issue, and he didn't support it... well we would be hearing about that loudly. So I put it out to the greater Pinside... has a single person not gotten support that they should have from Jack? I know the legal standing of it, but what has he actually done?

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

Problem I see here is TNT Lists as NEW IN CRATE on their page here:

Yeah, when was the last time any pinball machine came "New in crate".

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Correct, and Jack said it clearly a long time ago:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-nib-wozle-7500-huo-transformers-le-autobots-4500-huo-safecracker-8k?tq&tu=JerseyJack
I'm surprised we have not heard a flood of people with "unauthorized" games that Jack built scream about the lack of support. But I have not heard a single case of it yet. I think if someone owns a game that Jack built, and it had an issue, and he didn't support it... well we would be hearing about that loudly. So I put it out to the greater Pinside... has a single person not gotten support that they should have from Jack? I know the legal standing of it, but what has he actually done?

I thought about that too, however most people that are on these forums are enough into the hobby that they had the heads up to only buy from authorized distributors. The people that just bought the game because they liked the movie and got it from Joe Blow distributor may not have a pinside account to complain.

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, WTF. You're talking about a guy who was doing gameplay walkthroughs when there was nothing but VHS, calling him a flipper who's likely to vanish is pretty low.
I get it, distributors are part of the system, and Jack needs to support them.
But when I see things like this it just makes me think that the resale value on JJP games is gonna tank, since they're apparently not supported if you're not the original buyer with a receipt. That sucks for original owners, because it devalues their games.
Dumb policy.

Aurich, way to chime in on East Coast issues! And here I was thinking you disappeared absent the Alien thread. LOL.

I agree it is the JJP policy that's faulty. I've dealt with Todd a few times buying and selling to him, and he has helped me on the fly with issues with other games without even blinking. I would fault him more for his infamous "tossing of games from his rooftop stunt" (even though most were trashy non-functioning EM's) than I would for selling a WOZ even though he's not an authorized distributor. If someone bought the game from him NIB, and didn't ask about the warranty, that would be on them. If they did and he misrepresented (which I doubt), that would be another story.

#50 8 years ago

I learned everything I need to know about non-transferable warranties here-

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/selling-huo-wizard-of-oz-le-pinball-machine-7000/page/3

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 16.95
$ 91.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 308 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buyer-beware-todd-tuckey-tnt-is-not-an-authorized-jjp-distributor/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.