Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by JFink8222
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0CB9A5B4-0B7B-4F37-B84E-F9106AB71B92 (resized).png
    3C8B1BE5-14F9-447F-9DD8-C091F92BAF95 (resized).png
    49DD7AE4-962B-469A-9825-B532A3884A96 (resized).png
    #1 4 years ago

So this pinsider listed in the title posts a for sale ad for an Iron Maiden premium, both on Craigslist and pinside. I contact him and tell him I would like to buy it. On my way over, he texts saying he just turned it on and it didn’t boot. So he toggled the switch and it booted. I’ve worked on many sterns and I know this to be a basic SD card issue. I show up at his house. Game works perfect. I put cash on the glass, FULL ASKING PRICE and he refuses to sell it. Says he “doesn’t wanna sell a bad game”. I tell him I’m aware of the simple issue and the SD card just needs to be reset or reimaged. I’ll take it as it is. He still refuses. I shake his hands and say ok, we have a deal then when you talk to stern (since the game was still under warranty). He then avoids my calls and texts for 10 days!!! Finally, after asking him one last time is he going to sell the game to me or not, he responded that he still hasn’t heard from Stern about the fix.
    So long story short, just buyer beware when you answer an ad from this seller. He will refuse to sell you a game, even for full asking price. I’m guessing he got a better offer and wasn’t man enough to just tell me. It’s pretty simple, but rude to say the least. He is not a man of his word. And his final say was “when I’m ready I’ll repost it on Craigslist”. I’m guessing he’s either full of $hit or will ask for more.
    It’s frustrating when you offer full price, cash on glass for a game, only to have some scum refuse your money. Why post it in the first place!!!
    Ok. I’m done. Off to San Diego to meet up with OC pinballs at ComiCon

#2 4 years ago

He did you a favor, you should thank him. He saved you from the after purchase guilt.

#3 4 years ago

I’m from jersey as well. A gentleman’s agreement is true and sealed with a handshake. The SD card issue was no issue. I told him I would take the game as-is. Again, just too bad to have those types of people part of pinside.

Or are you saying Iron Maiden sucks? LOL

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from JFink8222:

He still refuses. I shake his hands and say ok, we have a deal then when you talk to stern (since the game was still under warranty). He then avoids my calls and texts for 10 days!!!

I don't understand....

Did you shake hands, and agree to a deal down the road, or he just didn't want to sell, and wanted you to leave?

This sounds like the worst pinball date, either way.

#5 4 years ago

I told him I would take it as is full price. He refused. I then said “do we have a deal once you hear from stern” and put out my hand. He shook it, said yes, and parted ways. I even offered to contact Pat Powers at stern because he’s helped me with a game in the past. He refused my help. I understand people changing minds and it is was it is. I’m just a man of my word and my word means more than anything else.

#6 4 years ago

I can't stand sellers like this. They are in EVERY hobby, trust me. Recently, I answered an ad on OfferUp for a Parker Vise (I collect & restore these). Seller is asking a decent price, but certainly not a steal, which is fine with me. I needed this vise and it was worth it to me. We agreed that I'd set out the next day to pick it up some 130 miles away. Long story longer, he messages me the morning that I'm to meet him and the price had gone up to 500.00 from his original 200.00.
    This happens all too often. Seller has something that they think is gold, they get a lot of responses (90% of them would NEVER show) and then decide that it isn't a sale, but an auction. I told him to go eat a dick and he was very, very lucky that he didn't pull that shit once I arrived to pick it up. No response, but it's still on OfferUp for 500.00 .

#7 4 years ago

I should have known when his handshake felt like my grandmothers. LOL. Whatever. I understand. There will always be DB’s in every hobby. I am just venting. I will enjoy my 7 pins and maybe pick one up this weekend while I’m in San Diego. Plenty of pins, just wanted to warn other buyers not to trust this guy

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from CubeSnake:

I answered an ad on OfferUp for a Parker Vise (I collect & restore these).

Interesting, I didn't know these were collectable.

#9 4 years ago

Same one just reposted?

phoenix.craigslist.org link

#10 4 years ago

um i'm drunk but that guy sounds like scum... Is it me or lately have we has more scammers lately ?

CHEERS

#11 4 years ago

What a shit bag.
    Your rep is everything.

I recently bought a pin i really wanted from a local seller, only to have an emergency and have to sell it...immediately. In all fairness, the seller told me he did nothing to it and sold it for a profit to me. I did all the work to it i could in the given time (i got it working and fixed several things on it), but i caught some flak for selling it quickly. Of course, i had to sell a second pin and some other stuff as well...but no one pays attention to that.

I try to protect my rep, but i feel i did nothing wrong. It was out of my control.

This guy with the metallica seems to have no leg to stand on, however. I will watch out for him.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from JFink8222:

... we have a deal then when you talk to stern (since the game was still under warranty). He then avoids my calls and texts for 10 days...

Couldn't you just take it then and be done w/it? Great if Stern follows thru, no biggie if not. He wouldn't let you?

#13 4 years ago

Methinks the eloquent phrase "punk bitch" could be used in circumstances such those illustrated above.

#14 4 years ago

Not uncommon at all on craigslist, but happening more and more on Pinside, too, unfortunately. The "sale turns into an auction" trope is not cool anywhere, but especially here on Pinside, but it happens. I got hit with it not too long ago.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Not uncommon at all on craigslist, but happening more and more on Pinside, too, unfortunately. The "sale turns into an auction" trope is not cool anywhere, but especially here on Pinside, but it happens. I got hit with it not too long ago.

You should name names.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

You should name names.

Agreed

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from JFink8222:

I told him I would take it as is full price. He refused. I then said “do we have a deal once you hear from stern” and put out my hand. He shook it, said yes, and parted ways. I even offered to contact Pat Powers at stern because he’s helped me with a game in the past. He refused my help. I understand people changing minds and it is was it is. I’m just a man of my word and my word means more than anything else.

I still don't get this...

You keep mentioning he refused, so....okay, he changed his mind, and is an asshat for doing so last minute.

It clearly sounds like he backed out for whatever reason, which sounds shitty, but then you pushed, then posted here, which also doesn't sound too hot.

I'd always like to hear the other side of the story.

Either way, just think of it as he wasted your time, but saved you cash.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from TODD969:

Same one just reposted?
    phoenix.craigslist.org link

CL ad says its for sale by the original owner.
    I don't really get it.
    The machines for sale, but he won't sell it to you?

Maybe If you really want it send somebody else to go grab it.

#19 4 years ago

Just walk away. Another will pop up.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

CL ad says its for sale by the original owner.
    I don't really get it.
    The machines for sale, but he won't sell it to you?
    Maybe If you really want it send somebody else to go grab it.

It appears that the same game is re-listed by the same owner at the same price. Perhaps it's possible that the seller was truly concerned with the game not booting up properly and wanted to be sure that everything was OK before selling? I have purchased a game from this seller in the past and he was very helpful with properly getting the game shipped from AZ to NY. I had no issues whatsoever and would not hesitate in dealing with him again.

#21 4 years ago

Same guy came over to my house to play a game on a pin I was selling and leave right away. Most obvious tire kicker I have ever seen lol, it was weird. Some people are just weird. You can totally find another one at that price, good luck with the search.

#22 4 years ago

I just had this happen with a duel sport motorcycle...I say “sure full asking price...no problem”...only to get this...some people...I’ll tell yaa.............Joey
    49DD7AE4-962B-469A-9825-B532A3884A96 (resized).png49DD7AE4-962B-469A-9825-B532A3884A96 (resized).png0CB9A5B4-0B7B-4F37-B84E-F9106AB71B92 (resized).png0CB9A5B4-0B7B-4F37-B84E-F9106AB71B92 (resized).png

3C8B1BE5-14F9-447F-9DD8-C091F92BAF95 (resized).png3C8B1BE5-14F9-447F-9DD8-C091F92BAF95 (resized).png
    #23 4 years ago

Don’t deal with this
    I’ll sell you mine for the same price. I was trying to get $6500 but under these circumstances I have no problem coming down some to offset your bad experience. I’m not local but the fuel cost will be cheaper than shipping. 6-ish hour drive
    Chris

#24 4 years ago

Well, I just picked up a NIB premium Iron Maiden. Paid a few bucks more but was more than willing to avoid giving that shmuck a dime of my money. And yes, he literally refused to sell it. I asked several times. Money in hand and he said no. Even after shaking on the deal. Telling me he would let me know when he was “ready” again..... then the fu@ker relists it on Craigslist without calling. Just a plain and simple DB that doesn’t know $hit about being a man or pinball to say the least. Whatever. I got the game I wanted anyways. His loss. My gain.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buyer-beware-rj_tenn?hl=frippertron and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.