(Topic ID: 321570)

UPDATE - ~~Replacement Spike 2 CPU Board Breaks Insider Connected~~

By TheProgrammer

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:I don't think it's a common problem - but I have talked to a few people that had woofer chip problems.
    Not to derail the thread - but my Munsters is fine when first turned on. Let it warm up, shut off (letting the power supplies discharge), then back on - woofer chip gets hot. Let it cool off - fine when turned on again. I replaced the woofer chip, problem still occured. It's a Class D amp, so more complicated than just a straight amp.
    Just a somewhat educated guess (I'm an electrical engr.), the backbox LED's dump a lot of heat into the CPU, and the woofer chip is almost right next to the LED's on the left side. I took a FLIR of the CPU...the LED's definitely dump out the heat. But since I replaced the woofer chip and it still had a problem, it might be a part that is temperature sensitive (i.e. some caps come to mind). Since seeing the FLIR, I've turned the backbox light down to 30%
    In the end, didn't want to fart around with it and ordered a new CPU.

I cringed when I saw those super bright LEDs on the main board on my first spike game. First thing I did was turn the backbox brightness down considerably on all my games. Driving an LED at the max the datasheet says gets hot and reduces their life.

"geeze, i had to replace the CPU board because the backbox GI LED died and now IC does not work"

#89 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Standard adjustments...almost at the very end. Easier to go backwards from #1 than forward...it rolls over to the end (i.e. goes from 1 to ~99).
    There's two settings, backbox during attract and game play. I set both to 30%.

Keep an eye out that there is a few percentage points that introduce a strobe light effect that you might not notice right away. They must be using a pulse width adjustments and it gets into an off period frequency I can perceive and it looks like hell out of the corner of my eye. Distracting when the game next to you is strobing. Just a couple clicks higher or lower updates faster than my eyes notice and looks fine.

I turned down the playfield GI and inserts some too, just a little bit to take some stress off of the LEDs for likely more usable life. Some of the inserts are SMT LED beads soldered to a PCB not easily replaced in the field.

If I was stern, I would use the next size bigger SMT LED and just run them less hard for the same brightness. I guess that $0.005 difference adds up when buying millions of the LEDs.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buyer-beware-replacement-spike-2-cpu-board-breaks-insider-connected?tu=barakandl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.