(Topic ID: 125011)

Buyer beware - caveat emptor Pinside

By rommy

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Have you ever been scammed by someone on Pinside?”

• Never. 111 votes
      85%
    • Once. 13 votes
      10%
    • More than once. 6 votes
      5%

(130 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

suspects.jpg
    There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

There are scammers on this board. There are people posing as real pinheads with machines for sale or machines they are going to build that are really just trying to part you with your hard earned cash.

Yes - there are people here that will collect money from you for a pinball machine and then bait and switch you. "Hey the machine is taking more time , but it's too late for a refund."

I am not only talking about the big predator and JPOP debacles - I am talking about individuals with machines for sale.

Do not think you are safe just because you are on pinside! There are shady dealers , shady individuals, shady manufacturers, all right here.

Do your due diligence every time. If you see even one red flag...pause. Deal with someone with ZeRO red flags instead. Personally, I like Trent from Tilt, rob Anthony and Taro and anyone in his crew, and people you can shake hands with face to face.

I won't break any NDAs here...just be careful. Too much money is being scammed.

#2 9 years ago

You've got that right about Trent and Rob. Both have been to my home and both are absolute FIRST CLASS individuals!!! Don't know Taro . . .

I guess I've been lucky. Haven't been ripped off by anyone so far. However, I've only been a pin collector for about 5 years. Will just stay cautious!

#3 9 years ago

Taro is rob's dog lol!

#4 9 years ago

I'm a little sketchy.

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

This line confused me. Who in the world is selling pins here with an NDA, aside from Jpop? And his NDA is null and void considering that's he broken his side of the contract. Repeatedly.

#6 9 years ago

Pinsiders are a bunch of crooks
    They would steal from their grandmothers
    I would not trust any of them

#7 9 years ago

I haven't had any problems with pinsiders so far. In fact, most folks I've bought/sold with have been quite generous.

Simply do your homework before spending any large amounts of money. Look at their member profile and skim some of their recent posts. Also do a forum search for their name to see if there are any threads singing praise or warnings to keep away.

If a user has around 100,000 karma, they're new, and the likelihood of a sale being questionable might be present with someone without a history in the community.

If you're talking about pre-orders, I think the big lesson everyone is finally learning is to not do them, especially for start-ups working on their first machine.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

There are scammers on this board. There are people posing as real pinheads with machines for sale or machines they are going to build that are really just trying to part you with your hard earned cash.
    Yes - there are people here that will collect money from you for a pinball machine and then bait and switch you. "Hey the machine is taking more time , but it's too late for a refund."
    I am not only talking about the big Predator and JPOP debacles - I am talking about individuals with machines for sale.
    Do not think you are safe just because you are on pinside! There are shady dealers , shady individuals, shady manufacturers, all right here.
    Do your due diligence every time. If you see even one red flag...pause. Deal with someone with ZeRO red flags instead. Personally, I like Trent from Tilt, rob Anthony and Taro and anyone in his crew, and people you can shake hands with face to face.

if you can't say who (specifically) can you provide a # of known (first hand) scammers you have had direct personal experience with?

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

Taro is rob's dog lol!

Holy Hell! That dog has been here at my place 3 or 4 times! I was thinking of some pinhead . . . not an animal. Sorry Taro!

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from labnip:

if you can't say who (specifically) can you provide a # of known (first hand) scammers you have had direct personal experience with?

I cannot . I will say more than one. I will also say the NDA was not JPop or SkitB. Settlements frequently include NDAs insisted on by the losing side.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

I cannot . I will say more than one.

Are you saying that you have been involved with legal action against multiple people on here?

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

I cannot . I will say more than one. I will also say the NDA was not JPop or SkitB. Settlements frequently include NDAs insisted on by the losing side.

Wow, seriously? I hearby promise that if you ever buy a pin from me and you're not happy, I will never make you sign an NDA.

#13 9 years ago

Refusing to tell other people who scammed you, continues to put others at risk.

Defeats the purpose of this post.

I don't understand why you would need a NDA for a pinball machine anyway.

#14 9 years ago

Look - you guys have done this longer than me but it's still no excuse. It makes me a bad pinhead that my behavior allows people to do this stuff. My behavior that put me in a position to be scammed encourages the scammer to continue. Me getting payback legally only helps ME. It actually hurts all of y'all because I can't identify people and have to sit back and watch them continue.

As of now though, to my knowledge, which is soooooo limited (they could change account names etc.), my particular bad guys have moved on. Others got wise and were not bound by an NDA and called them out.

That all sounds like qualifications...

YES I personally have been a victim of scammers here. Never again though.

#15 9 years ago

You ever get paid back from ML?
    He was/is a deadbeat

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Refusing to tell other people who scammed you, continues to put others at risk.
    Defeats the purpose of this post.
    I never understood why you would need a NDA for a pinball machine anyway.

No the purpose of the post is to help make sure people don't think just because you are dealing with another pinsider you are safe. be cautious , if you see a red flag stop and go somewhere without red flags.

#17 9 years ago

You are going to have to help some of us here and explain what Non disclosure agreement (NDA) has to do with a scammer? If someone has ripped you off, why are you worried about breaking and NDA? This makes no sense to me at all. The less you explain the more I am suspicious of your whole story. For all we know you might be a scammer too. If you are trying to help and protect the community, you need to be a lot less vague.

#18 9 years ago

If someone ripped you off, out them and also let them give their side of the story. This reads like some kinda vague "Having A Bad Day" Facebook shit.

#19 9 years ago

Nothing but good on my end. Have picked up 4-5 machines from Pinsiders with zero problems.

#20 9 years ago

Can you change accounts and tell us what you are really thinking. This cryptic astrologist stuff is annoying.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from alexanr1:

If you are trying to help and protect the community, you need to be a lot less vague.

Maybe it was a member of ISIS that scammed him....

suspects.jpgsuspects.jpg

#22 9 years ago

An NDA is usually the result of a legal settlement. Which would mean that someone was attempting to scam the OP...lawyers got involved and some/all of the money was repaid. The person attempting the scam would have requested the NDA so that the OP wouldn't be able to give details about the event in an attempt to spare his reputation.

#23 9 years ago

And this just in.... Strangers often screw others. News at 11

This thread is garbage. Someone agreeing to a non-disclosure in a legal settlement over a sales_ transaction? You gotta be joking

Im not sure who the op is trying to save with that awesome experience. Maybe... Dont let the faulty party dictate terms in something you can resolve directly in small claims?

#24 9 years ago

Maybe we need a new field added to the Market section:

[√] Will not make you sign an NDA

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Maybe we need a new field added to the Market section:
    [√] Will not make you sign an NDA

I will look into that

#26 9 years ago

I'm calling bullshit on this thread. I have never considered purchasing a "gunnado" off the internet... much less, suing someone... and much, much less signing a NDA at the request of some deadbeat jackass. I guess some people are just careless with their money.

If you aren't taking about Kevin Kulek, Vonnie D or JPOP, which other non-performing scammers could you be talking about? It just doesn't make any sense.

But I am planning on building the greatest pinball ever made. It will be worth more than the $30k I'm charging and I'm just asking for a third down if you are still interested in foolish "investments".

#27 9 years ago

11 out of 45 in this poll have been scammed. That's not counting predator .

Edit : notice the "blame the victim" mentality espoused by Flynn and others. This attitude helps to enable scammers and silence victims. Most people will just roll over and take it, but I wont. Don't you be an enabler either, don't blame the victims when they report scams.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

I am not only talking about the big Predator and JPOP debacles - I am talking about individuals with machines for sale.

Unfortunately all to true.Been collecting since 2003.Ive seen way worse than Ive seen good.

#29 9 years ago

I ALWAYS wear my tin foil helmet when conducting business with pinsiders. It hasn't failed me yet.

#30 9 years ago

I was going to buy something from a Pinsider once. He had no feedback, no posts and only a few karma points. I PM'd him and asked for a little detail about himself and he PM's back some really nasty stuff, calling me names and swearing at me saying he didn't want to sell to a "dick" like me for asking him questions. Havn't seen him since.

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

I was going to buy something from a Pinsider once. He had no feedback, no posts and only a few karma points. I PM'd him and asked for a little detail about himself and he PM's back some really nasty stuff, calling me names and swearing at me saying he didn't want to sell to a "dick" like me for asking him questions. Havn't seen him since.

Yeah...but I'm much nicer now.

#32 9 years ago

either spill the beans on who these scammers are or this thread is useless...

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Maybe... Dont let the faulty party dictate terms in something you can resolve directly in small claims?

Are you serious?

I thought this was pretty clear, but obviously not. Someone screwed him over. He sued, they settled in one fashion or another, and an NDA was part of the final agreement for him to not talk about the issue in specific terms in public forums. Had nothing to do with the original transaction, dude.

#34 9 years ago

So, use common sense when buying pinball machines.

Got it.

Thanks for the message. Without it, I'd continue to send money blindly to people in Nigeria.

Pete

#35 9 years ago

so someone sells you a as is unshopped pin, there's a broken plastic and u say I want a full refund...u scammed me...

Not saying this is u as a buyer but, Having half the story doesn't always show what your saying is the truth..

But no one deserves being scammed... I've never met anyone on here like that personally other then Kevin

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Are you serious?
    I thought this was pretty clear, but obviously not. Someone screwed him over. He sued, they settled in one fashion or another, and an NDA was part of the final agreement for him to not talk about the issue in specific terms in public forums. Had nothing to do with the original transaction, dude.

I didn't say anything about the original transaction... Let me repeat.. "Dont let the faulty party dictate terms in something you can resolve directly in small claims?"

A settlement is a TWO PARTY AGREEMENT and NDAs are not some mandatory part of a settlement. He let the scammer off so he could be whole himself.. and then wants to 'warn' us about how to avoid these people that he, himself, empowered to stay incognito. He accepted those terms... they weren't mandated.

I don't know the amount involved, but if under 5k, small claims is still in play, even in AR. It's a question of what makes the person willing to pay.

If you want to be the evangelist to let us all know the internet is full of bad guys... seems pretty contradictory to allow the problem to perpetuate by accepting some bad guy's desire to stay in hiding... if you want to let us all know they exist.

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

He let the scammer off so he could be whole himself.

SMH...

Didn't know arbitration was a one way discussion, but okay. For all you know he was paid back all the money he lost plus other damages. The NDA is a balancing factor to limit the amount of compensation he can claim against the issue (in the form of damaging someone's potentially legitimate business), IMO.

Without knowing the specific arrangements of his settlement, you don't have any ground to stand on to judge his decision, as far as I care. If you want to scream at a brick wall until you're blue in the face, go ahead...I'm sure the vast majority of us would not choose that when the possibility of full compensation or more was an open choice...

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

SMH...
    Didn't know arbitration was a one way discussion, but okay. [...] For all you know he was paid back all the money he lost plus other damages. The NDA is a balancing factor to limit the amount of compensation he can claim against the issue (in the form of damaging someone's potentially legitimate business), IMO.

A settlement is a two party agreement to avoid having the 3rd party.. the court.. decide for you. The NDA serves to limit the exposure for one party... the scammer. You'd accept it because you're likely to have less resistance collecting on your judgement from a settlement the other party was agreeable to.. vs a judgement the other party is against. Any 'nda' is simply because the scammer wanted it, and our OP here agreed to it.. in the interest of making himself whole.

#39 9 years ago

Image removed.

#40 9 years ago

Nice touch up.

#41 9 years ago

Wow. I feel bad for the moderators.... The new pinside has them working overtime policing anything that night not be family friendly. That pic was totally relevant and less vulgar than any classic bally.

#42 9 years ago

Maybe it would be more productive to start a thread of people that are well known through out the industry that can be trusted.

#43 9 years ago

Sketchy people...ON PINSIDE?!?!

#44 9 years ago

Hey...I heard this Max Badazz guy from NH is great to deal with

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Sketchy people...ON PINSIDE?!?!

i hear there's some of those... < looks around furtively > ... lawyer types here too...

pinside is a downright cesspool...

#46 9 years ago

I don't drink Kool-Aid, especially the blue stuff. Can't say I'll ever start.

#47 9 years ago

Just sent a lot of money for a pin. Until it's here, I'm always nervous, but I've never been burned yet.

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Yeah...but I'm much nicer now.

No, that wasn't you was it?

#49 9 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

That's just some Jersey sarcasm

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Quoted from yzfguy:

That's just some Jersey sarcasm

...or is it???

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buyer-beware-caveat-emptor-pinside and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.