(Topic ID: 276080)

Buyer beware baller88

By hockeymutt

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B8C0E24F-F0C0-4350-98BB-3D37912A07EA (resized).jpeg
    57578E8C-D755-4F13-BB28-279634FA4E4E (resized).jpeg
    EB8D432C-E63B-44ED-B004-CF50DE1FC643 (resized).jpeg
    AB145CB1-7D64-4E0F-A164-770326A602EC (resized).jpeg
    173D7CC1-0426-4D4C-944E-3DF0469FA88D (resized).jpeg
    CE53D200-5533-46BD-AFBF-DA17358B19A2 (resized).jpeg
    283D2ADC-5B0D-4E76-82AC-E4C874E68ACC (resized).jpeg
    CA10440C-4A8A-425B-8F00-FBC32BA4EE51 (resized).jpeg
    tphil (resized).jpg
    5AD7BAD3-C67A-41C2-9B4C-59F217357B50 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    88 (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    E9DA28E9-7A40-4ED5-A365-68D62C6D7B8A (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dung.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#84 3 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Note to self, when meeting with someone halfway, bring a generator and test the machine.

Having traded a few machines this way with pinsiders, the number that outright lie is ridiculous.

My favorite was a working stargate that I specifically asked if the cab had planking, because you couldn't tell from the pics. Game had a litany of issues, cab was awful. Ended up reversing the trade the next day and eating an 80 dollar loss in gas.

Then there was the rbion that the owner actually was buying off an operator in the city we were meeting. 5 minutes before we are to meet I am told that they pulled the game off route and we were trading in a parking lot. The guy grilled me over the condition of my bf which he had seen pics of, and worked perfectly. I get home and find out the rbion had no sound, I do board work, but it was one of the few times I had to outsource to a professional.

That said, shit happens. Recently both my Ice cold beers I traded were headaches. First one was laid on its side for transport and the playfield ripped out of its mountings. Was a quick fix for the buyer, but embarassing to show up with the playfield hanging in the cabinet. Second one, we get there and the game which had worked just fine the day before, wouldn't boot. Took me 20 minutes of scrambling before I reseated the ribion cable and it fired up.

In this case, the driverboard was toast and seller knew it. Unless op is leaving something out baller should have offered to trade back instead of telling him to pound sand.

#87 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Yeah, the guy just wants everyone else to stand up and shield him.. and bitch that pinside somehow habors this .. instead of owning the fact he didn't do his own due diligence and got burned for it.
    Rookie Mistake #7 - Assuming the other party knows everything and taking their assessment verbatim

You say this, as you, a pinsider, are harboring.

Could op have done more? Sure.

Does it still reflect badly on baller to have said the game worked cpu aside when there is no way that driverboard will? Does it reflect badly how he handled the deal afterwards? Look at the original post, game was supposedly working minus the computer. This isn't opinion. This is taking his word and apparently on here someone's word is worth nothing.

Does it look like a bunch of people on this site either cannot, or chose not to read, and sit and defend baller? Yep, sounds like harboring.

#93 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

No - it is simple survival skills.
    When pinside runs off an established person.. does that make you safer? No Because there are always new folks
    Will pinside somehow vet everyone before they make deals? No
    Will someone's past deals protect me in all future deals? No
    Is there a universal code of comprehension every pinsider has about their games? No
    Do good people make innocent mistakes? YES
    So how do you deal with this? How do you avoid differences in understanding? You can only control yourself. Asking others to do it for you is futile.

Yup... if you want to ensure you know exactly what you are getting... you do your own homework.
    It's not harboring anyone... it's "defensive pinball buying". Control your own destiny... not blame others for failing to do it for you.

Survival? We collect antiquated over priced toys.

I buy projects. Ask crash, I made 2 trips out to him and bought 3. Games missing parts, boards, and that haven't run in over a decade.

Thing is I know what to expect. I get them for a price that I'm comfortable with. I dont have any expectation that anything works. I make an educated guess on repair costs and work, and gamble.

I have done that with a number of games. Have bought some off basic pictures and had them shipped. My favorite was an lah that had been in a fire.

But if someone tells me that the game should work minus a part. If that person has been in the hobby for awhile. If they deal in games. I expect them to know what they are talking about. If the game obviously in no way worked in the way they described, then they lied.

Baller lied. We have screenshots dating to that. Dress it up however you want. Blame op. Say he is a drama queen. Baller still lied and screwed someone.

#110 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

You are bound to get burned... too many simply don't even KNOW how it's supposed to work. Even the innocents do it.
    You're willing to take gambles... that's fine.. your choice. But do you point the finger at everyone else for failing to protect you when you get a surprise? Did pinside fail you for failing to vet your game for you?
    Self-responsibility - it's a thing in pinball too.

When you make a trade in a parking lot you have to take someone's word. As I have posted already I have had people outright lie on here. Lie about direct questions. Pull a game you could have seen running because it had a major issue.

That isn't self responsibility. I have had people on here say a game has zero issues. Show up to their house and upon power up the game says features are not working as part of its boot sequence.

If i sell something it is how I say it is. If you don't believe a seller has a responsibility to be honest then it says reams about you. Let's not have dealings because you've made it quite clear you have no acruples.

#233 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

So he LOST money on all of these past sales of his?:
    WCS 3000
    CV 7200
    DE JP 3600
    LAH 3500
    I could go on but i am at work and i SHOULD be doing some.

You have no idea what he paid for them. I know a number of collectors who lose money on almost every game they own. I don't get it, but they happily do it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dung.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buyer-beware-baller88-?tu=dung and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.