(Topic ID: 276080)

Buyer beware baller88

By hockeymutt

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B8C0E24F-F0C0-4350-98BB-3D37912A07EA (resized).jpeg
    57578E8C-D755-4F13-BB28-279634FA4E4E (resized).jpeg
    EB8D432C-E63B-44ED-B004-CF50DE1FC643 (resized).jpeg
    AB145CB1-7D64-4E0F-A164-770326A602EC (resized).jpeg
    173D7CC1-0426-4D4C-944E-3DF0469FA88D (resized).jpeg
    CE53D200-5533-46BD-AFBF-DA17358B19A2 (resized).jpeg
    283D2ADC-5B0D-4E76-82AC-E4C874E68ACC (resized).jpeg
    CA10440C-4A8A-425B-8F00-FBC32BA4EE51 (resized).jpeg
    tphil (resized).jpg
    5AD7BAD3-C67A-41C2-9B4C-59F217357B50 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    88 (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    E9DA28E9-7A40-4ED5-A365-68D62C6D7B8A (resized).jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 288 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
    #1 3 years ago

Look I don’t care if he’s been awesome to you or gave your grandmother a kidney. Please save that. I have over 15 years avionics experience, nasa soldering school advanced avionics and advanced aircraft electrical in my background. Essentially 7 years worth of electrical schooling I know what I’m looking at. 5 years into this hobby and repair almost all Bally/stern mpus in my area .

I gave rob a good-great Bride of Pinbot for exchange for a revenge from mars. Rob described this as just needing the cpu hooked back up and that it had a “cheesy” lcd (His words not mine). I said that as long as the cpu works and doesn’t look like it sat at the bottom of a lake I’m fine with it. We set a mutual meeting point, I get to said meeting point exactly on time to have the guy say he’s running late, an hour and half late (exactly the amount of time to travel from his shop) and then asked if I wanted to change the meeting spot - I said no I’m fine with waiting.

Robs guy gets there, machine looks decent (better than I thought with not getting playfield, pcb,
    Driver board pictures). But the lcd is just dangling inside the cabinet (thought this was installed). I yank it out and help make the transaction.

Get this thing home and left baller88 good feed back based on the condition of the cabinet and playfield. Tried hooking up the cpu with no joy, changed batteries..nothing. tried booting with out the prism card..nothing. So motherboard is toasted - could have told you that after looking at the cynix chip.

Grab a dell from a local computer shop for 100 spend about 24 man hours between trying to get pinbox to work, to finally finding the nucore download on a French website. Get that sorted, hook up the pc to the machine and half the solenoids won’t fire and machine keeps rebooting. I dig deeper to find that more than half the components on the driver board are corroded.

I fully understand that things happen. I called rob and was immediately told to essentially fuck myself and was hung up on. He called me back shortly after and tried to blame me but said he might have a spare. I posted up on a few local threads to avoid him as I didn’t get the warm and fuzzy.

I’ve been trying to work things out with him off this site but the blame keeps coming back to me for some reason. I took someone’s word for it and got burned. All I wanted was a game that worked, cpu aside. Nobody wants to even touch the driver board to make repairs based solely on pictures - I’ve been told by 3 people that work on these boards that it’s not worth it for them to take on, and truthfully with an infant at home I cannot either.

He keeps putting this on me and keeps saying he will fix it but will either hang up on me or if I text him he will say that I did something wrong.

Pictures attached are the “2k” pinbot I traded him and this is the board.

023D185F-8DF1-46BC-A7D3-EE94843934FE (resized).jpeg023D185F-8DF1-46BC-A7D3-EE94843934FE (resized).jpeg388591A0-0F96-46DE-9CF9-AE07DD7D3B7A (resized).jpeg388591A0-0F96-46DE-9CF9-AE07DD7D3B7A (resized).jpeg4E1A0762-BF69-4FD5-9E32-39490AD2FF38 (resized).jpeg4E1A0762-BF69-4FD5-9E32-39490AD2FF38 (resized).jpeg2F6903A4-FF0E-4681-9B7A-C07F759256AD (resized).jpeg2F6903A4-FF0E-4681-9B7A-C07F759256AD (resized).jpeg5392174D-D0AF-4E99-A5EA-905115503FB6 (resized).jpeg5392174D-D0AF-4E99-A5EA-905115503FB6 (resized).jpeg7ECD89E2-A171-40E1-BA48-AA878DB6D4F8 (resized).jpeg7ECD89E2-A171-40E1-BA48-AA878DB6D4F8 (resized).jpegDA98967D-3FBD-4069-8C43-B1C34D3F5053 (resized).jpegDA98967D-3FBD-4069-8C43-B1C34D3F5053 (resized).jpegB781EB1A-FE20-4B78-8093-606C05CCB235 (resized).jpegB781EB1A-FE20-4B78-8093-606C05CCB235 (resized).jpeg878B4330-9962-4A61-AF02-1DCDBDD875D5 (resized).jpeg878B4330-9962-4A61-AF02-1DCDBDD875D5 (resized).jpeg1653E554-20D0-4EAE-90D9-21784FBD40C3 (resized).jpeg1653E554-20D0-4EAE-90D9-21784FBD40C3 (resized).jpeg6791F30F-3A9D-4A75-87AB-BCFDD2794988 (resized).jpeg6791F30F-3A9D-4A75-87AB-BCFDD2794988 (resized).jpegA8183704-C6FC-42BD-BEB6-9C50CE441B0F (resized).jpegA8183704-C6FC-42BD-BEB6-9C50CE441B0F (resized).jpeg57A79A2E-B335-4F87-B440-D9CBB6A0D563 (resized).jpeg57A79A2E-B335-4F87-B440-D9CBB6A0D563 (resized).jpegC9CF2E3B-7A5B-4135-B643-F4EE78325BEA (resized).jpegC9CF2E3B-7A5B-4135-B643-F4EE78325BEA (resized).jpegF9CFB8F4-B57C-438A-B345-69251B1A74A5 (resized).jpegF9CFB8F4-B57C-438A-B345-69251B1A74A5 (resized).jpeg6766284E-736A-498A-A1D5-2ECFFE47EF9F (resized).png6766284E-736A-498A-A1D5-2ECFFE47EF9F (resized).png
    #2 3 years ago

I really don't see this reaching a resolution to your liking but I think you should have looked at it a little closer. I'm not saying you are totally at fault here either Rob bares at least 50% for his creative sales pitch. Hope you guys can work it out.

#3 3 years ago

That much experience in electronics and you didn't even look at the boards? All on you dog.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheRave:

That much experience in electronics and you didn't even look at the boards? All on you dog.

How could I, a guy that sells so much on here you think it would be fine? I’ve done numerous trades here based on reps. It’s not uncommon. If I would have been fortified the chance to inspect would have done it. So essentially your saying every person here is a scammer and should be trusted. Which is the opposite of what I’ve seen here

#5 3 years ago

Well, that driver board sure looks like it sat at the bottom of a lake. Sucks..

#6 3 years ago

There needs to b

Quoted from Irishbastard:

Well, that driver board sure looks like it sat at the bottom of a lake. Sucks..

Yes it does.

#7 3 years ago

Just request to trade back.

Rob

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

Just request to trade back.
    Rob

Knowing this clown nothing I gave him would be the same

#9 3 years ago

Guess the PayPal thread that he posted were he got screwed but never posted again on the outcome didn't matter.

I've had one dealing with him and it didn't pan out as agreed. But water under the bridge, I ended up with the game I wanted anyway. Ironically the exact same game he sold to someone else and I got it for 200 miles closer to me.

#10 3 years ago

Also don’t worry I’m now receiving threats from him since we live close, I’ve replied with we can swing dicks all day. Just so this isn’t misconstrued. Pretty shitty he screws me and than threats me

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from hockeymutt:

Also don’t worry I’m now receiving threats from him since we live close, I’ve replied with we can swing dicks all day. Just so this isn’t misconstrued. Pretty shitty he screws me and than threats me

Sounds like he has his head screwed on straight.

#12 3 years ago

The insulation on the resistors is melting away. Looks like heavy battery acid damage, but I don't see the batteries.

Guess it was stored with other boards with bad batteries.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from hockeymutt:

Pretty shitty he screws me and than threats me

That's a class act.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from Neal_W:

The insulation on the resistors is melting away. Looks like heavy battery acid damage, but I don't see the batteries.
    Guess it was stored with other boards with bad batteries.

Zero batteries another reason I didn’t really check after getting it home.

#15 3 years ago

also he’s into attacking mental health conditions, wrong dsm but whatever helps him feel better,

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheRave:

also mr smarty pants when the last time you’ve seen a non battery memory board with corrosion, hardly ever. especially one from 99-2000 never, hence my “ as long as it doesn’t look like it got dipped in the lake”

#17 3 years ago

Sorry you got screwed. I have learned to avoid him at all costs. You may think your getting a good deal, but there is always something.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from hockeymutt:

also mr smarty pants when the last time you’ve seen a non battery memory board with corrosion, hardly ever. especially one from 99-2000 never, hence my “ as long as it doesn’t look like it got dipped in the lake”

Poorly transported reimported...
    Flood games...
    Bad environment

TLDR- a lot

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Poorly transported reimported...
    Flood games...
    Bad environment
    TLDR- a lot

There’s always the one, hope you feel better

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheRave:

All on him? Wtf? Adding you to the list of people to avoid too. Sounds like a really dick move but this is the same guy who doesn't even post pictures of his games bc he's too good too. Give me a break. In fact I think he even changed his name on pinside to something else for some reason, let's you figure it out.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from hockeymutt:

There’s always the one, hope you feel better

I'd say don't pour any gas on the flames. Just request a trade back and be done with it. The game never worked, it has too much board damage.

Rob

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

I'd say don't pour any gas on the flames. Just request a trade back and be done with it. The game never worked, it has too much board damage.
    Rob

I wish it was that easy dealing with this member to be honest, but the pinside mentality sometimes blows my mind, that response wasn’t directed at you just some these guys that give reach arounds to each other and it’s like 2 idiots fighting, you’ll never win. Seems like if they’ve been hooked up before they’ll goto bat even when they been disproven.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from hockeymutt:

I wish it was that easy dealing with this member to be honest, but the pinside mentality sometimes blows my mind, that response wasn’t directed at you just some these guys that give reach arounds to each other and it’s like 2 idiots fighting, you’ll never win. Seems like if they’ve been hooked up before they’ll goto bat even when they been disproven.

Unfortunately, there are quite a few bad guys in this hobby.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

Unfortunately, there are quite a few bad guys in this hobby.

Yea and hate to say it there all in this area. Was burned good on my first trade wised up and went on a good stretch till now. But as you see karma has already gotten him for 8k? He prob delt with a non-pin family as he would us telling us to pack sand and we’re pulling one over on him. Reading his thread what doesn’t make sense is the warranty, shouldn’t matter if they took delivery from you or same day. You re selling a machine to the non-hobby person you know dam well they will call about any lightbulb that’s out. I would know, had a guy call me 6 months after for this. Did it out of kindness. He might be 8k richer if he treated people differently and with respect. I can almost guarantee you that the game wasn’t 100% working when they looked at it and he knew it.

#25 3 years ago

Trades can be tricky. If the plan is to meet halfway I always request a ton of pictures of everything now. I've only had couple snags... toasted flipper board... and some small issues that werent as described... Its always just a reminder of an extra thing to check for on the next game I get... Sometimes I'll even ask for a quick video of it playing... Its almost impossible to inspect the game in a parking lot halfway between the two parties with the games strapped up... Flip side... I always take a ton of pictures of the game I'm trading as well as videos of it in action so that if the other party manages to mess something up when they get home they know that I didnt try to pull a fast one...

#26 3 years ago

That board is fucked.
    Virtually every component has corrosion.
    Not to mention a bunch of the traces are corroded internally.
    Even if you shotgunned it and replaced all the components it still might not work.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

That board is fucked.
    Virtually every component has corrosion.
    Not to mention a bunch of the traces are corroded internally.
    Even if you shotgunned it and replaced all the components it still might not work.

Exactly my point, thank you for the kind words. This brings up the pinside Adequate I’ve seen it all to often to blame the “buyer” of games but when you look at the root of it, it’s majority based on locAtion, and how the “bad” seller has done deals with these other members. Instead of them just sitting quit they love to try and put the blame else where,
    Or bring up something you said or did more than 3 years ago that has no correlation to you. Also what I have an issue with is this is essentially fraud and wether they like or not this site should handle this. We make transactions and I pay a fee people I buy from pay fees, hate to say it some times I take less to not deal with some pinside low balls, But what am I really paying a fee for if the mods aren’t willing to mediate? This is clearly not my fault this member has used different handles in the past for this exact reason . Thought this was a safer site to sell buy and trade doesn’t seem like it recently

#28 3 years ago

All I’m going to say is, I’ve dealt with Rob a dozen times. Is he hit or miss when communicating? Yes.
    Is he this way at shows or in person? No. He’s a good dude that’ll take care of you if you’re not a dick.

When Rob has something I want, I’ll tell him I want it. I then look it over and make a deal, he doesn’t twist my arm to buy it and usually throws me a more than fair price.
    I bought a HUO starship troopers from him last month, he gave me a killer deal on it, the sound was messed up but I didn’t care and bought it,
    turned out to be bad roms, burned a new set and presto.

I saw that RFM in person, and aside from that driver board, the rest of the game was prime rib condition.

You on the other hand HockeyMutt, had agreed to a trade deal with me last year, and then you flaked and sold it to someone else while I waited for you to firm up your availability with me, so you’re no prize yourself.

Let the shit go, eat that board, eat some muff, clean up RFM and enjoy it.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

All I’m going to say is, I’ve dealt with Rob a dozen times. Is he hit or miss when communicating? Yes.
    Is he this way at shows or in person? No. He’s a good dude that’ll take care of you if you’re not a dick.
    When Rob has something I want, I’ll tell him I want it. I then look it over and make a deal, he doesn’t twist my arm to buy it and usually throws me a more than fair price.
    I bought a HUO starship troopers from him last month, he gave me a killer deal on it, the sound was messed up but I didn’t care and bought it,
    I saw that RFM in person, and aside from that driver board, the rest of the game was prime rib condition.
    You on the other hand HockeyMutt, had agreed to a trade deal with me last year, and then you flaked and sold it to someone else while I waited for you to firm up your availability with me, so you’re no prize yourself.

Oooooooh Christ..... here we go.

#30 3 years ago

Pop corn time gentlemen. Yum yum yum!

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from hockeymutt:

Exactly my point, thank you for the kind words. This brings up the pinside Adequate I’ve seen it all to often to blame the “buyer” of games but when you look at the root of it, it’s majority based on locAtion, and how the “bad” seller has done deals with these other member

Don’t want to be screwed? Protect yourself

Eventually you’ll learn you’ll get disappointed not just from people trying to passoff junk but from people that simply don’t know what they have. The only defense is being an educated, proactive buyer. You’ll find your self screwed by that 10x more by ignorance than you will crooks.

Take your lesson learned... put down the stones trying to blame pinside and just buy smarter next time.

#32 3 years ago

This is getting good now.. just waiting for the other side to pop in with a slightly different story.

I think everyone here would agree what happened sucks and in your position we’d be annoyed and/or pissed. But many would also agree, PinsideR or not, If you don’t personally know a person either get the pics before the pickup, don’t make the deal, or don’t be surprised to find A few Surprises.

#33 3 years ago

I'm a newer to the hobby, but seeing this stuff always makes me laugh. It's always boils down to an issue between two average hobbyists who think they are better than they are.

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Knew you were going to comment, you just can’t let shit go. Worse than a women, it was a trade. Yea shit happens move on. Didn’t work out. You seem to want to comment on almost everything I post for some reason time to get a life. Like you stated let the shit go, but you can’t, you really need to step away from the keyboard. I would say more but last time you reported me. But said “someone” else did, thought the mods told us both to not comment and for us to move, not sure why you can’t? No I will not move on as this is a $500 board that is impossible to find and this board is no where near clean up and go. No repairer will take this board. As stated game was in good shape playfield and cabinet wise but board and cpu no chance. There was no way this board ever was 100% working. But both parts that were “working” aren’t so I’m left with 1k in parts that need repair. One day karma will come for you, done tons of trades both ways since then everyone has been happy. Move on and stop stalking

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Don’t want to be screwed? Protect yourself
    Eventually you’ll learn you’ll get disappointed not just from people trying to passoff junk but from people that simply don’t know what they have. The only defense is being an educated, proactive buyer. You’ll find your self screwed by that 10x more by ignorance than you will crooks.
    Take your lesson learned... put down the stones trying to blame pinside and just buy smarter next time.

What kind of message is that? Get off your soap box man, if you were in my place you’d be right here as well. Stop the holier than thou mentality. Your essentially saying it’s ok to be dishonest and rewarding that? No that’s not right in any sense. I’ve always been fair to every member. Sheckler was a different story won’t go into it. Guy needs to move on, it was over a year ago. But for a guy that runs a “business” to pull this is completely unsat, I would expect this from a hobbyist but not a business owner. Talking around he’s known to do this stuff, I should have asked around but trusted someone off this site.

#36 3 years ago

Can someone name this "Rob" being referred to on here as the screwing Hockeymutt pinsider.

#37 3 years ago

I had bought two pins from Rob. Was a great deal. He is tough to communicate with, but so and I. We both run businesses.

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

In fact I think he even changed his name on pinside to something else for some reason, let's you figure it out.

If it matters, same Pinsider.

-Mike

Screenshot_2020-08-27-06-51-36 (resized).pngScreenshot_2020-08-27-06-51-36 (resized).pngScreenshot_2020-08-27-06-53-06 (resized).pngScreenshot_2020-08-27-06-53-06 (resized).png
    #39 3 years ago

Yep you got screwed. It’s impossible to catch everything buying a game. A million things are going on and your mind is not working correctly. Best to avoid people like this.

#40 3 years ago

I'm going to chime in since I've had two completely different experiences with Rob aka GWAXT72 / BALLER88 AKA Rockland Pinball https://rocklandpinball.com/ I'm not going to go into details of the experience but in short:

The first was a pleasant experience no issues with the game.

The second experience and my last I will ever deal with Rob / Rockland Pinball was atrocious.

Your mileage may vary with Rockland Pinball / Rob aka GWAXT72 / BALLER88.

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from hockeymutt:

Worse than a women,

That's a helpful comment.

#42 3 years ago

WTB: grand lizard

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from hockeymutt:

What kind of message is that? Get off your soap box man, if you were in my place you’d be right here as well. Stop the holier than thou mentality. Your essentially saying it’s ok to be dishonest and rewarding that? No that’s not right in any sense. I’ve always been fair to every member. Sheckler was a different story won’t go into it. Guy needs to move on

No, I have moved on. I’m only bringing it up because it’s currently relevant, I haven’t spoken to you since, including not long ago when you inquired about something I had for sale. I wish you well, but not dealing with me.

#44 3 years ago

I don't know either party here, but I've read both threads.

The text message photos you posted make clear that you knew you were buying a non-working game- a project- and now you're mad that you ended up with a project. It may have ended up being more project than you thought you were going to be taking on, but he says in the text message that all he had tried was swapping out the power supply.

Did the seller send pictures of the boards? Did you *ASK* for pictures of the boards?

To me, it looks like you negotiated your way into a lop sided trade, and now you're unhappy about it.

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

The text message photos you posted make clear that you knew you were buying a non-working game- a project- and now you're mad that you ended up with a project. It may have ended up being more project than you thought you were going to be taking on, but he says in the text message that all he had tried was swapping out the power supply.
    Did the seller send pictures of the boards? Did you *ASK* for pictures of the boards?
    To me, it looks like you negotiated your way into a lop sided trade, and now you're unhappy about it.

From what I read, seller said the game was working and he had played it???
    I dont see any way this was working?

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

From what I read, seller said the game was working and he had played it???
    I dont see any way this was working?

Quoted from drsfmd:

I was under the impression it worked just needed the cpu hooked back up and I even confirmed this in the text. He also stated he played this before he bought it. Which it might have booted with an external pc but no way you could make it through a game

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from hockeymutt:

He also stated he played this before he bought it.

Yes he did indicate he had played the game previous to purchasing, never a mention that it will not boot or that there was more damage than the cpu needing put back in the game.

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

How on earth did you read those texts and say they made clear that it was a non working game? I have no dog in the fight here, but I read, almost the opposite. Project YES, because any game that needs something is a project to various degrees, but unless I cannot process words these exchanges say the seller played the game and that the computer needed to be put back in the game.

#49 3 years ago

I have done probably 15 different transactions with Rob. I have purchased from him and he has purchased from me. All super easy transactions and all described well. I always ask for tons of pictures and video of game on and working or if I know I am buying a project then I know what to expect. If you did not do that then that is on you man. Might have been best to just drive another 1.5 hours to do the trade in person.

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from elcolonel:

How on earth did you read those texts and say they made clear that it was a non working game? I have no dog in the fight here, but I read, almost the opposite. Project YES, because any game that needs something is a project to various degrees, but unless I cannot process words these exchanges say the seller played the game and that the computer needed to be put back in the game.

exactly

There are 288 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buyer-beware-baller88-?hl=justal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.