(Topic ID: 276080)

Buyer beware baller88

By hockeymutt

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B8C0E24F-F0C0-4350-98BB-3D37912A07EA (resized).jpeg
    57578E8C-D755-4F13-BB28-279634FA4E4E (resized).jpeg
    EB8D432C-E63B-44ED-B004-CF50DE1FC643 (resized).jpeg
    AB145CB1-7D64-4E0F-A164-770326A602EC (resized).jpeg
    173D7CC1-0426-4D4C-944E-3DF0469FA88D (resized).jpeg
    CE53D200-5533-46BD-AFBF-DA17358B19A2 (resized).jpeg
    283D2ADC-5B0D-4E76-82AC-E4C874E68ACC (resized).jpeg
    CA10440C-4A8A-425B-8F00-FBC32BA4EE51 (resized).jpeg
    tphil (resized).jpg
    5AD7BAD3-C67A-41C2-9B4C-59F217357B50 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    88 (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    E9DA28E9-7A40-4ED5-A365-68D62C6D7B8A (resized).jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 288 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
    #151 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Lot better than a grand, I’d snatch that up!
    This thread is a good reminder that being a pinsider doesn’t nec. mean much. You can get your escalera destroyed by one, and you can get burned In deals with them. You can buy parts from them and spend months trying to get them to ship it even though they ‘shipped it last week’. I’ve made a few bad choices with deals and lucked out in the end to get anything, but did also get partially screwed. Luckily most pinsiders are cool..I’ve driven 20 hours or so one way to trade games and couldn’t have been happier. For every bad deal there’s 50 good ones.

Better than half the people on Pinside have no business even owning a pinball machine. It's like guys on a car forum that have others do all of the work and can't even turn a wrench themselves. Sure, I guess you're in the hobby, but you're not really IN it.

Of the pinsiders that wrench on these things and do roadside trades, I would imagine most of them wouldn't have bothered to dig in to the driver board on a pin2k. It's usually a check the PF, check for battery damage and go kind of deal, not a "let me take the glass off, lift the playfield all the way, flip up the driver cover, and wrestle myself into the cabinet to check for damage where I least expect it" thing. Seller probably didn't know it was toast either. I have an unshopped player that I can say I've never been into that deep. It's a chore.

#152 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Victim blaming?

Credit to the OP for posting a warning to other Pinsiders. Seller can’t be trusted, buyer beware. Why crucify the OP

I did not lay all the blame at the OP's feet, if you'd read my post I said both are at fault. To simply say the seller is totally at fault is way to easy both failed in due diligence with this deal, to not recognize that is just being purposely obtuse.

#153 3 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

I did not lay all the blame at the OP's feet, if you'd read my post I said both are at fault. To simply say the seller is totally at fault is way to easy both failed in due diligence with this deal, to not recognize that is just being purposely obtuse.

Yes but pretty much every person in this thread that has come to back Baller42069 clearly states that
    •he has good deals
    •things are priced to reflect condition
    •his communication skills are dogshit

Since this person has such a clear reputation of this (lest we forget the Comet+Beef Combo Listing), it should be assumed that any buyer from this person needs to do their due diligence. I'm not here to back Baller666 at all, but if you can't handle the sticky business that is buying and selling in this hobby from people with wildly different skills and reputations, go collect stamps or something.

Think about how this thread would have panned out if thing went like this:

Title: Buyer Beware: Baller88

Body Summary: Baller88's communication skills are subpar and the game I picked up sight unseen didn't exactly match the description. I'm not mad as I could have done more to prevent this, but just be sure to do a little more research before you shell out money/trade. Flip on!

I don't think 100% of the blame needs to go on HockeyMuff for how the deal went down, but 1000% of the blame for creating a dumpster fire thread that shows nothing but immaturity and inability to take responsibility is on him for sure.

#154 3 years ago

Wait, what have I missed, comet with ground beef?
    I once bought a Stern Big Game from him four years ago, and inside the cabinet was a huge pack of hot dogs

#155 3 years ago

Think I have stated I’ve taken some ownership but either way not going to rehash 4 pages of this.

#156 3 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

I once bought a Stern Big Game from him four years ago, and inside the cabinet was a huge pack of hot dogs

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-comet-33

He deleted the photos but it was the most bizarre pinside listing of all time. There were a few bizarre blurry photos of Comet, then 5 pictures of a few 20lbs bags of ground beef, a screenshot of a mysterious text with some sort of wifi/account password, and a picture of like a doctor's office or something. It was unreal.

#157 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Victim blaming?
    Credit to the OP for posting a warning to other Pinsiders. Seller can’t be trusted, buyer beware. Why crucify the OP?

Especially a seller who has a long track record of doing this to people. Do some homework people. Plenty of threads of misdealings with this seller.

#158 3 years ago

Hockeymutt not sure if you've ever heard of John Wart Jr.? He's one of the best in the country on board work. No idea if he's taking on new work or anything, but figured I'd suggest looking him up on here or FB cause I've seen some boards that he worked miracles on. He's a wizard man.

#159 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Hockeymutt not sure if you've ever heard of John Wart Jr.? He's one of the best in the country on board work. No idea if he's taking on new work or anything, but figured I'd suggest looking him up on here or FB cause I've seen some boards that he worked miracles on. He's a wizard man.

He stopped accepting work in 2017, unfortunately. I haven't heard anyone mention that he's started back up since then.

#160 3 years ago

Chris Hibler is certainly no slouch in the board repair arena, wouldn't hurt to contact him send some pic's and get his opinion on repairing.

#161 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Hey buddy thanks! But there’s only a hand full of people that work on these boards and all have them have deemed it not economical to repair, I’m gonna give it a stab as I’d be no different spot

#162 3 years ago

OP did you try contacting Clive at Coin Op Cauldron? The guy is seriously pro at board repair.

#163 3 years ago

Jerry Clause is another I would contact for possible repair.

#164 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Jerry Clause is another I would contact for possible repair.

He did a great job on my RCT board that somebody never bothered to change the batteries on. Probably a lot less work the the RFM though.

#165 3 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

OP did you try contacting Clive at Coin Op Cauldron? The guy is seriously pro at board repair.

Yes he doesn’t repair these anymore said it’s not worth it.

#166 3 years ago

I had Butch Peel work on a RCT mpu a decade ago, that was drenched in battery acid, and his repairs were a work of art. He now works at Jersey Jack...

Things can be brought back to life, it all depends on the time you want to spend on it. The rarity of that board seems well worth the effort involved.

#167 3 years ago

He now works at Jersey Jack...

Not anymore. JJP let him go a few months ago, and CGC snapped him up.

#168 3 years ago

Things can be brought back to life, it all depends on the time you want to spend on it. The rarity of that board seems well worth the effort involved.

Question is can he find someone to competently repair it for less than he'd spend getting a new replacement from Australia (evidently $315 + S&H at the moment). I assume he's getting turned down left and right because there's hundreds of dollars worth of challenging repairwork there. Doesn't mean it's not doable, but it might not make economic sense to do it.

#169 3 years ago
    Quoted from hockeymutt:

you just can’t let shit go. Worse than a women

Good lord, man. Are you serious??? The amount of ignorance some people are willing to reveal is shocking sometimes.

#170 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Doesn't mean it's not doable,

Doesn't mean it should be done. Save the time, buy a new board. Based on the photos that one is toast, unless you want to socket every chip & replace almost every component.

#171 3 years ago

Can't believe this thread is still alive....

#172 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

It's a boring Friday afternoon at work......

#173 3 years ago

The only way I can sum up four pages of the issue....
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#174 3 years ago
    Quoted from aztarac:

It's a boring Friday afternoon at work......

i cannot argue with that.

#175 3 years ago

To the OP....just contact Rob Anthony (Borygard on here) and end it. He repaired my SWEP1 boards & computer that were HOPELESS! He knows what he's doing and doesn't screw people.
    Additionally, if this pin has bad Joo-Joo for you, and I cannot blame you if it does, consider parting it out. You'll probably end up making more $$ than you think!

#176 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Question is can he find someone to competently repair it for less than he's spend getting a new replacement from Australia (evidently $315 + S&H at the moment). I assume he's getting turned down left and right because there's hundreds of dollars worth of challenging repairwork there. Doesn't mean it's not doable, but it might not make economic sense to do it.

I have no doubt that I will be able to complete the rebuild just a matter of finding the time. I own all the proper equipment. I’ve already started the cleaning process. Found my solenoid issue and the trace was so corroded that it ate itself away. An hour or 2 a day should have it banged out in a week.

#177 3 years ago

Did you eat them is the real question? Those were quality tube meats!

#178 3 years ago
    Quoted from hockeymutt:

I have no doubt that I will be able to complete the rebuild just a matter of finding the time. I own all the proper equipment. I’ve already started the cleaning process. Found my solenoid issue and the trace was so corroded that it ate itself away. An hour or 2 a day should have it banged out in a week.

You are the man. Post result as to how much work was necessary to get it running.

#179 3 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Chris Hibler is certainly no slouch in the board repair arena, wouldn't hurt to contact him send some pic's and get his opinion on repairing.

There are some great board repair guys mentioned here. Not sure if they work on this board specifically but there is a 2-3 month backlog of work for them at the moment.

#180 3 years ago

Saturday night bump... Reviving the scene...

#181 3 years ago

Just when you thought this thread was as dead as that driver board...

#182 3 years ago

Anyone else just scroll through fast for the memes?

#183 3 years ago

If you are unable to get it going I do have a spare board.

#184 3 years ago
    Quoted from tonyhoff1:

Now here is a good pinsider.... Thank you for offering it up.

#185 3 years ago

The bottom line is the industry of flipping pins is no longer as lucrative as it once was. The flippers on Pinside will always have to be shady and walk a little crooked to make a profit. If they made right every time someone got the short end of the stick, they would never make a profit. There are too many things that can go wrong, no matter who you are. I personally don’t like buying games from flippers because they haven’t owned the game long enough to know the issues and even if they did, they can always plead the old, “I didn’t know about the issues and you bought it in as is condition”. That being said, have I bought from flippers?? Yes! Have I had good and bad experiences with flippers, Yes. My advice is if you want a hassle free experience, buy local and from people you know. STOP trading games, it’s a fools trap and someone always gets the short end of the stick.

#186 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

you read my mind.

#187 3 years ago
    Quoted from tonyhoff1:

#188 3 years ago

Wanted to get in for no reason.
    It was fun to watch.

#189 3 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

The bottom line is the industry of flipping pins is no longer as lucrative as it once was

don't agree.. the bottom 1/2 of the market is where all the money to be made on pinflation is these days. Buy a solid state for sub 1k, sell for 1500-2000k... alot more money in it now than there was the decade prior. There is money to be made on B/C titles all day long due to pinflation. The hunt is harder due to so many people.. but the pros have a scheme to keep getting games uncontested. It takes way too much energy to fend off the sharks.. and the idiots that bid games up the moment ads go up spoil it... but there is still a ton of money to be made for the people that can stomach it.

Games are still coming out of operator stashes... still. Crazy, but true.

#190 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

don't agree.. the bottom 1/2 of the market is where all the money to be made on pinflation is these days. Buy a solid state for sub 1k, sell for 1500-2000k... alot more money in it now than there was the decade prior. There is money to be made on B/C titles all day long due to pinflation. The hunt is harder due to so many people.. but the pros have a scheme to keep getting games uncontested. It takes way too much energy to fend off the sharks.. and the idiots that bid games up the moment ads go up spoil it... but there is still a ton of money to be made for the people that can stomach it.
    Games are still coming out of operator stashes... still. Crazy, but true.

yep, I got a guy who goes once per month and pulls a game out of a old operator stash. He said there are enough for him to do it for about 2 years. He sells one at a time for well below market value as is.

#191 3 years ago

Dude is a professional ..and has a horrible reputation on pinside ..he clearly knew what he was doing ..this is why he has 4 different names on pinside ..and why his rockland pinball and his bar cade went out of a business

#192 3 years ago
    Quoted from spikelou2:

Dude is a professional ..and has a horrible reputation on pinside ..he clearly knew what he was doing ..this is why he has 4 different names on pinside ..and why his rockland pinball and his bar cade went out of a business

BINGO!!!!

#193 3 years ago
    Quoted from spikelou2:

But hey as long as he pays his fees all is ok on pinside. Seems like the theme is they get payed and turn the other way. Even tho they host a way for this guy to broker tax free deals for a business. He should also have to listed as a business here and held to the same standards and yearly fee. Hell just keep being allowed to circumvent the system till another person like myself gets for a lack of. Better word “robbed” This time isnt my first hobby were trading and buying type of stuff. ( game used pro hockey equipment, car parts countless car parts, and not once have i had to change my username. The other crazy thing is on Facebook groups and these types of sites usually after the second time he burns ( most the time the first) someone, a swift boot is given. And ip is recorded

#194 3 years ago
    Quoted from hockeymutt:

But hey as long as he pays his fees all is ok on pinside. Seems like the theme is they get payed and turn the other way. Even tho they are host a way for this guy to broker tax free deals for a business. He should also have to listed as a business here and held to the same standards and yearly fee. Hell just keep being allowed to circumvent the system till another person like myself gets for a lack of. Better word “robbed” This time isnt my first hobby were trading and buying type of stuff. ( game used pro hockey equipment, car parts countless car parts, and not once have i had to change my username. The other crazy thing is on Facebook groups and these types of sites usually after the second time he burns ( most the time the first) someone, a swift boot is given. And ip is recorded

Now you know better. Time to look at option B

Different options are coming

#195 3 years ago
    Quoted from hockeymutt:

But hey as long as he pays his fees all is ok on pinside. Seems like the theme is they get payed and turn the other way. Even tho they host a way for this guy to broker tax free deals for a business. He should also have to listed as a business here and held to the same standards and yearly fee. Hell just keep being allowed to circumvent the system till another person like myself gets for a lack of. Better word “robbed” This time isnt my first hobby were trading and buying type of stuff. ( game used pro hockey equipment, car parts countless car parts, and not once have i had to change my username. The other crazy thing is on Facebook groups and these types of sites usually after the second time he burns ( most the time the first) someone, a swift boot is given. And ip is recorded

Pinside is not some autonomous machine. You can reach out to robin and have a constructive discussion and get his perspective

#196 3 years ago

Here is my spare board. It looks like I stole a tip from it. I’m sure I have one here.

9E4411E2-14EE-4810-863C-44C299EFEC48 (resized).jpeg9E4411E2-14EE-4810-863C-44C299EFEC48 (resized).jpegD6EAA36F-E859-4CB6-BF66-7981BF179726 (resized).jpegD6EAA36F-E859-4CB6-BF66-7981BF179726 (resized).jpegEB8D1CF7-4B83-4829-84C4-122D8E86702D (resized).jpegEB8D1CF7-4B83-4829-84C4-122D8E86702D (resized).jpegFAED0060-F4CB-4AFA-9248-BC9322673102 (resized).jpegFAED0060-F4CB-4AFA-9248-BC9322673102 (resized).jpeg35616EF5-85E3-434A-972C-C8E112AC57D8 (resized).jpeg35616EF5-85E3-434A-972C-C8E112AC57D8 (resized).jpeg3F18D400-69F5-493B-AC4C-A0C3F70EC39B (resized).jpeg3F18D400-69F5-493B-AC4C-A0C3F70EC39B (resized).jpeg520AF75F-E488-460A-98C2-8E8E812194D9 (resized).jpeg520AF75F-E488-460A-98C2-8E8E812194D9 (resized).jpeg85924341-2795-48BE-926C-08EC1D1CCFF7 (resized).jpeg85924341-2795-48BE-926C-08EC1D1CCFF7 (resized).jpeg
    #197 3 years ago
    Quoted from spikelou2:

I thought Pinside only allowed 1 ID, how can he have multiples? Sorry hockey

#198 3 years ago
    Quoted from tonyhoff1:

Here is my spare board. It looks like I stole a tip from it. I’m sure I have one here.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Way better starting point

#199 3 years ago

So good and evil have been seen here.
    Perhaps you can look at the good and look past the evil.

#200 3 years ago
    Quoted from hockeymutt:

But hey as long as he pays his fees all is ok on pinside. Seems like the theme is they get payed and turn the other way. Even tho they host a way for this guy to broker tax free deals for a business. He should also have to listed as a business here and held to the same standards and yearly fee. Hell just keep being allowed to circumvent the system till another person like myself gets for a lack of. Better word “robbed”

Wow. So now it’s Pinside’s fault? You’ll blame anyone other than yourself.

There are 288 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buyer-beware-baller88-/page/4?hl=lifefloat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.