(Topic ID: 276080)

Buyer beware baller88

By hockeymutt

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B8C0E24F-F0C0-4350-98BB-3D37912A07EA (resized).jpeg
    57578E8C-D755-4F13-BB28-279634FA4E4E (resized).jpeg
    EB8D432C-E63B-44ED-B004-CF50DE1FC643 (resized).jpeg
    AB145CB1-7D64-4E0F-A164-770326A602EC (resized).jpeg
    173D7CC1-0426-4D4C-944E-3DF0469FA88D (resized).jpeg
    CE53D200-5533-46BD-AFBF-DA17358B19A2 (resized).jpeg
    283D2ADC-5B0D-4E76-82AC-E4C874E68ACC (resized).jpeg
    CA10440C-4A8A-425B-8F00-FBC32BA4EE51 (resized).jpeg
    tphil (resized).jpg
    5AD7BAD3-C67A-41C2-9B4C-59F217357B50 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    88 (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    E9DA28E9-7A40-4ED5-A365-68D62C6D7B8A (resized).jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 288 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
    #51 3 years ago

Hi MOM!

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

I have done probably 15 different transactions with Rob. I have purchased from him and he has purchased from me. All super easy transactions and all described well. I always ask for tons of pictures and video of game on and working or if I know I am buying a project then I know what to expect. If you did not do that then that is on you man. Might have been best to just drive another 1.5 hours to do the trade in person.

I’ll take some of the blame for trusting a member but I shouldn’t be taking the full brunt from this, by stating your essentially saying it’s ok for sellers to lie here and up to the buyer to figure out the truth. I was ok with a little project but both items that are needed to run this aren’t remotely close to been working in the last year

#53 3 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

No, I have moved on. I’m only bringing it up because it’s currently relevant, I haven’t spoken to you since, including not long ago when you inquired about something I had for sale. I wish you well, but not dealing with me.

To you the same hope you stay safe during this time, my apologies again for the broken deal. In your first post normally I would just chalk this up as a lost but every major component needs to be replaced or fixed. I have always been transparent on here and would never screw some one like this. We all work hard to enjoy this hobby. This is going to be about an 800-1000 repair which I cant stomach for awhile so it will sit.

#55 3 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

From what I read, seller said the game was working and he had played it???
    I dont see any way this was working?

Quoted from elcolonel:

How on earth did you read those texts and say they made clear that it was a non working game? I have no dog in the fight here, but I read, almost the opposite. Project YES, because any game that needs something is a project to various degrees, but unless I cannot process words these exchanges say the seller played the game and that the computer needed to be put back in the game.

Hockeymutt wrote: Rob described this as just needing the cpu hooked back up and that it had a “cheesy” lcd (His words not mine). I said that as long as the cpu works and doesn’t look like it sat at the bottom of a lake I’m fine with it.

Hockeymutt also wrote: Get that sorted, hook up the pc to the machine and half the solenoids won’t fire and machine keeps rebooting.

So the game DID boot. Had issues, and was rebooting itself. In the text message Baller says that the game was working from an external computer. Notes that the game has what he thinks is the original computer inside. He does NOT say "just needs the CPU hooked back up". Says "If you know how to **FIX** these, it's probably nothing for you."

Translation: The game boots and flips from an external computer. The original computer isn't working. May or may not be an easy fix.

I've bought plenty of games where I get to someone's house, turn on the game, make sure it boots and flips, and I'm loaded up and back in the car within 10 minutes. Hockeymutt got a game that boots (and reboots) and flips. It's got some other issues that Baller may or may not have been aware of, but I'm not ready to get out the tar and feathers, because he *did* disclose that the game had issues.

The board corrosion is a failure of Hockeymutt to do his due diligence in assessing the condition of the boards. Unless he can demonstrate that he asked for pictures that he didn't receive, or pictures that were intentionally deceitful or false, that one is on him.

#57 3 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

Hockeymutt wrote: Rob described this as just needing the cpu hooked back up and that it had a “cheesy” lcd (His words not mine). I said that as long as the cpu works and doesn’t look like it sat at the bottom of a lake I’m fine with it.
    Hockeymutt also wrote: Get that sorted, hook up the pc to the machine and half the solenoids won’t fire and machine keeps rebooting.
    So the game DID boot. Had issues, and was rebooting itself. In the text message Baller says that the game was working from an external computer. Notes that the game has what he thinks is the original computer inside. He does NOT say "just needs the CPU hooked back up". Says "If you know how to **FIX** these, it's probably nothing for you."
    Translation: The game boots and flips from an external computer. The original computer isn't working. May or may not be an easy fix.
    I've bought plenty of games where I get to someone's house, turn on the game, make sure it boots and flips, and I'm loaded up and back in the car within 10 minutes. Hockeymutt got a game that boots (and reboots) and flips. It's got some other issues that Baller may or may not have been aware of, but I'm not ready to get out the tar and feathers, because he *did* disclose that the game had issues.
    The board corrosion is a failure of Hockeymutt to do his due diligence in assessing the condition of the boards. Unless he can demonstrate that he asked for pictures that he didn't receive, or pictures that were intentionally deceitful or false, that one is on him.

You re reading what you want to, he’s a con artist and wrote it like that to try and weasel a loop hole out of this. I even said yes I’m fine with hooking up the computer as long as it works. He said he replaced the power supply, but why replace a power supply on a working cpu that was working. He responded with it did, also there is no way he played a full game on this start to finish even with a new computer I couldn’t fully start a game, game. couldn’t find a ball, coin door switch opened regardless of switch position on some boots.

So forget the cpu could careless, the main artery for this game is the driver board.

#58 3 years ago
    Quoted from hockeymutt:

You re reading what you want to, he’s a con artist and wrote it like that to try and weasel a loop hole out of this. I even said yes I’m fine with hooking up the computer as long as it works. He said he replaced the power supply, but why replace a power supply on a working cpu that was working. He responded with it did, also there is no way he played a full game on this start to finish even with a new computer I couldn’t start a game, game. couldn’t find a ball, coin door switch opened regardless of switch position l.

You're either withholding information, or you're the one reading what you want to...

Please show us where he said that the computer that was in the game was working. He says it needs to be fixed, but doesn't know anything about computers.

Regarding the power supply... was he referring to the power supply in the game, or the power supply for the computer? It's not clear (and I don't have an RFM... I'm assuming there are two power supplies).

#59 3 years ago

Computer and it’s a screen shot on the first page, either way my issue isn’t with the cpu it’s driver board

#60 3 years ago

I've bought plenty of games from him and have always taken the time to look through each to see what they need for parts and repair before I buy. He's always been pleasant to deal with. My experience is that you get what you pay for...meaning some that are crap and need time and money but are priced cheap. Some I don't have to lift a finger and it's still a good deal.

Take the time to check it out and if you it needs too much work or if it's over priced then don't buy it and move on. It's not rocket science, it's a freegin pinball machine with boards, wires, plastic and solenoids.

He's a very busy guy who turns over many many games and most of the time has a line of people waiting to buy them.

Bottom line is that no matter who you buy from, do yourself a favor and fully inspect the game before you commit.

#61 3 years ago
    Quoted from hockeymutt:

Computer and it’s a screen shot on the first page, either way my issue isn’t with the cpu it’s driver board

So I'll again ask the question you didn't respond to before.

Did you ask for pictures of the boards? Did he refuse to provide those? Were they blurry, or from a different game? Did you fail to examine them carefully?

#62 3 years ago
    Quoted from hockeymutt:

How could I, a guy that sells so much on here you think it would be fine? I’ve done numerous trades here based on reps. It’s not uncommon. If I would have been fortified the chance to inspect would have done it. So essentially your saying every person here is a scammer and should be trusted. Which is the opposite of what I’ve seen here

I’ve learned that many people selling machines on Pinside are just hobbyists that aren’t even skilled enough to replace a transistor. No matter how well known someone is, don’t take their word for anything. I hope you guys work it out.

#63 3 years ago
    Quoted from hockeymutt:

the main artery for this game is the driver board

(removed) apparently the game in question is RFM

Sucks you got burned but forgive and forget. You're upset while the seller has moved on.

#64 3 years ago

I’m not gonna get anywhere with this, this sites politics is like jamming 2 dicks together, he’s gonna keep doing what he’s gotta do. I’ll just leave negative feedback like everyone should have that’s been burned by this guy. It is what is time to move on. Draining thread

#65 3 years ago

Note to self, when meeting with someone halfway, bring a generator and test the machine.

#66 3 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Note to self, when meeting with someone halfway, bring a generator and test the machine.

One would think dealing with a Pinsider, one would not have too.

#67 3 years ago

I have no problem meeting someone halfway if I have done business with them already. I would also consider it if someone I trust vouched for them. First deals are always done in person at my place or theirs. Everything gets checked and deal happens if both parties are happy. I have no problem driving 5 hours and cancelling a deal. Does it suck... yup. But you wont see me starting up a bitch thread.

#68 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

WTB: grand lizard

Trade ya one for your TAXI?

#69 3 years ago

Yeah, so you didn't ask for pictures of the boards. That's what I thought.

#70 3 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

Yeah, so you didn't ask for pictures of the boards. That's what I thought.

Ok I get it, but if you were buying something and they say it's good, and it's not good, they have to bare some of the blame. Lemon laws exist for a reason.

#71 3 years ago

You can’t drain your own thread dammit!!!

#72 3 years ago
    6435B619-FF96-4C4C-83EB-3F8D6E991526 (resized).jpeg6435B619-FF96-4C4C-83EB-3F8D6E991526 (resized).jpeg
    #73 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chet_Hardbody:

Ok I get it, but if you were buying something and they say it's good, and it's not good, they have to bare some of the blame. Lemon laws exist for a reason.

As I cited before-- Baller notes that the game wasn't working without being connected to an external computer, and needed repair of the internal computer that came with the game. At that point, the buyer should assume the game is a project. Without being able to boot the game from the internal computer, how else is the seller supposed to be able to assess what might be wrong?

OP bought a project thinking it would be an easy fix, and it ended up being more difficult and expensive to repair than he expected. This isn't a whole lot different than people who buy those "probably just needs a fuse" games on Craigslist. If it *just* needed a fuse, why didn't the seller replace it and charge more for the game? In any purchase, other than a NIB, it's caveat emptor... and the buyer here failed to do his due diligence.

#74 3 years ago

Rob is prone to language like “seems to be working,” “lightly shopped” or “just needs some adjustments.”

People read into that what you want but you should pay less attention to these vagaries and more to the price. Generally you get what you pay for with rob, and you can assume it will need work if it’s priced like a game that needs work.

#75 3 years ago
    Quoted from freeplay3:

I have no problem meeting someone halfway if I have done business with them already. I would also consider it if someone I trust vouched for them. First deals are always done in person at my place or theirs. Everything gets checked and deal happens if both parties are happy. I have no problem driving 5 hours and cancelling a deal. Does it suck... yup. But you wont see me starting up a bitch thread.

wisdom here

#76 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

One would think dealing with a Pinsider, one would not have too.

I got burned on a transaction with a fellow pinsider. But apparently he didn't know the issue either. Anyways, he made it right and we both learned some things and I didn't have to make a dumpster fire thread.

#77 3 years ago

Is baller 88 a rich 32 yr old?

#78 3 years ago

Wait, so this is the same guy? https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dont-ever-say-never-paypal-fxxcked-me-

The guy who cried wolf when he caused his own problems? Took PayPal F&F to avoid fees and reporting a sale for tax purposes?

Sorry but this guy is a total scumbag of a seller/dealer. Hey, great that some of you have had good dealings with this guy, but he is shady as all hell. I would have to think some of you got lucky. And yeah, I too know guys like this in this hobby. If they know you, and you buy a lot from them, they tend to be decent to you. Hold your britches if you an unsuspecting buyer and are thought to be a one time customer, you get the box of blinking lights. Oh yeah, played it before it went in storage, it's an easy fix or probably just a fuse. When in reality it's remove balls and replace machine.

Oh hey, robin how does this guy have 2 accounts and getting away with it?

#79 3 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Is baller 88 a rich 32 yr old?

No

#80 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Oh hey, robin how does this guy have 2 accounts and getting away with it?

Hasn't he had like 3?

Gwaxxxnrtrft, baller88, rocklandpinball (something like that).

Was gecko associated with him too or am i wrong on that one?

#81 3 years ago

Well he blocked me so safe to say I’ll never see another board,

Quoted from drsfmd:

As I cited before-- Baller notes that the game wasn't working without being connected to an external computer, and needed repair of the internal computer that came with the game. At that point, the buyer should assume the game is a project. Without being able to boot the game from the internal computer, how else is the seller supposed to be able to assess what might be wrong?
    OP bought a project thinking it would be an easy fix, and it ended up being more difficult and expensive to repair than he expected. This isn't a whole lot different than people who buy those "probably just needs a fuse" games on Craigslist. If it *just* needed a fuse, why didn't the seller replace it and charge more for the game? In any purchase, other than a NIB, it's caveat emptor... and the buyer here failed to do his due diligence.

Not at all I knew the cpu was essentially shot but if someone said they had the game working on an external pc would indicate it’s fine. So why the need, you love to argue with yourself. And keep honing in on one thing and keep over looking the main issue this game never work even when he bought it.

Also I had this game hooked up to an external computer and which led me to the driver board, exactly how he described it working. I feel like I’m talking to a 5 year old.

#82 3 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

I got burned on a transaction with a fellow pinsider. But apparently he didn't know the issue either. Anyways, he made it right and we both learned some things and I didn't have to make a dumpster fire thread.

Cool story, this wouldn’t have been a dumpster fire thread but judging by some of the responses here people have no issues Falsely representing a game, because its their job to figure out what’s true or not

#83 3 years ago

This thread reminds me of 2020......

Key takeaways:

1) Distributors are easier to deal with
    2) Only buy from friends or someone that you trust
    3) Stranger danger
    4) Paypal is not good
    5) When is JAWS coming out?
    6) We need a new topic category that is labeled as IGRO - I Got Ripped Off.
    7) I have empathy for the OP. I have been ripped off before.
    8) Never spend what you can't loose

#84 3 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Having traded a few machines this way with pinsiders, the number that outright lie is ridiculous.

My favorite was a working stargate that I specifically asked if the cab had planking, because you couldn't tell from the pics. Game had a litany of issues, cab was awful. Ended up reversing the trade the next day and eating an 80 dollar loss in gas.

Then there was the rbion that the owner actually was buying off an operator in the city we were meeting. 5 minutes before we are to meet I am told that they pulled the game off route and we were trading in a parking lot. The guy grilled me over the condition of my bf which he had seen pics of, and worked perfectly. I get home and find out the rbion had no sound, I do board work, but it was one of the few times I had to outsource to a professional.

That said, shit happens. Recently both my Ice cold beers I traded were headaches. First one was laid on its side for transport and the playfield ripped out of its mountings. Was a quick fix for the buyer, but embarassing to show up with the playfield hanging in the cabinet. Second one, we get there and the game which had worked just fine the day before, wouldn't boot. Took me 20 minutes of scrambling before I reseated the ribion cable and it fired up.

In this case, the driverboard was toast and seller knew it. Unless op is leaving something out baller should have offered to trade back instead of telling him to pound sand.

#85 3 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Having traded a few machines this way with pinsiders, the number that outright lie is ridiculous.
    My favorite was a working stargate that I specifically asked if the cab had planking, because you couldn't tell from the pics. Game had a litany of issues, cab was awful. Ended up reversing the trade the next day and eating an 80 dollar loss in gas.
    Then there was the rbion that the owner actually was buying off an operator in the city we were meeting. 5 minutes before we are to meet I am told that they pulled the game off route and we were trading in a parking lot. The guy grilled me over the condition of my bf which he had seen pics of, and worked perfectly. I get home and find out the rbion had no sound, I do board work, but it was one of the few times I had to outsource to a professional.
    That said, shit happens. Recently both my Ice cold beers I traded were headaches. First one was laid on its side for transport and the playfield ripped out of its mountings. Was a quick fix for the buyer, but embarassing to show up with the playfield hanging in the cabinet. Second one, we get there and the game which had worked just fine the day before, wouldn't boot. Took me 20 minutes of scrambling before I reseated the ribion cable and it fired up.
    In this case, the driverboard was toast and seller knew it. Unless op is leaving something out baller should have offered to trade back instead of telling him to pound sand.

Nothing to hide, I’ve restored countless machines and am fine with a project. I would have liked the cpu to have worked but knew I could get pinbox or nucore to work. Kinda got the felling it didn’t. The issue is the driver board and I cannot find a replacement. If he would had been honest and just said hey not sure if this works 100% I would have passed

#86 3 years ago
    Quoted from freeplay3:

Yeah, the guy just wants everyone else to stand up and shield him.. and bitch that pinside somehow habors this .. instead of owning the fact he didn't do his own due diligence and got burned for it.

Rookie Mistake #7 - Assuming the other party knows everything and taking their assessment verbatim

#87 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Yeah, the guy just wants everyone else to stand up and shield him.. and bitch that pinside somehow habors this .. instead of owning the fact he didn't do his own due diligence and got burned for it.
    Rookie Mistake #7 - Assuming the other party knows everything and taking their assessment verbatim

You say this, as you, a pinsider, are harboring.

Could op have done more? Sure.

Does it still reflect badly on baller to have said the game worked cpu aside when there is no way that driverboard will? Does it reflect badly how he handled the deal afterwards? Look at the original post, game was supposedly working minus the computer. This isn't opinion. This is taking his word and apparently on here someone's word is worth nothing.

Does it look like a bunch of people on this site either cannot, or chose not to read, and sit and defend baller? Yep, sounds like harboring.

#88 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

BINGO

#89 3 years ago

#savetheboob

#90 3 years ago

Not at all, only on pinside can someone get ripped off and you clowns go to bat for this guy, who has done this before. Essentially justifying what he did says a lot about some of you. Would never want to do business with people that say this is ok or are trying to justify this. Just reviewed my pinside chat with him I actually asked about the main board right before we swapped to text. He avoided the question.

#91 3 years ago
    4705D2BE-9B7D-41FE-8D35-02762DA660C4 (resized).jpeg4705D2BE-9B7D-41FE-8D35-02762DA660C4 (resized).jpeg
    #92 3 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

You say this, as you, a pinsider, are harboring.

No - it is simple survival skills.

When pinside runs off an established person.. does that make you safer? No Because there are always new folks
    Will pinside somehow vet everyone before they make deals? No
    Will someone's past deals protect me in all future deals? No
    Is there a universal code of comprehension every pinsider has about their games? No
    Do good people make innocent mistakes? YES

So how do you deal with this? How do you avoid differences in understanding? You can only control yourself. Asking others to do it for you is futile.

Quoted from dung:

This is taking his word and apparently on here someone's word is worth nothing

Yup... if you want to ensure you know exactly what you are getting... you do your own homework.

It's not harboring anyone... it's "defensive pinball buying". Control your own destiny... not blame others for failing to do it for you.

#93 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

No - it is simple survival skills.
    When pinside runs off an established person.. does that make you safer? No Because there are always new folks
    Will pinside somehow vet everyone before they make deals? No
    Will someone's past deals protect me in all future deals? No
    Is there a universal code of comprehension every pinsider has about their games? No
    Do good people make innocent mistakes? YES
    So how do you deal with this? How do you avoid differences in understanding? You can only control yourself. Asking others to do it for you is futile.

Yup... if you want to ensure you know exactly what you are getting... you do your own homework.
    It's not harboring anyone... it's "defensive pinball buying". Control your own destiny... not blame others for failing to do it for you.

Survival? We collect antiquated over priced toys.

I buy projects. Ask crash, I made 2 trips out to him and bought 3. Games missing parts, boards, and that haven't run in over a decade.

Thing is I know what to expect. I get them for a price that I'm comfortable with. I dont have any expectation that anything works. I make an educated guess on repair costs and work, and gamble.

I have done that with a number of games. Have bought some off basic pictures and had them shipped. My favorite was an lah that had been in a fire.

But if someone tells me that the game should work minus a part. If that person has been in the hobby for awhile. If they deal in games. I expect them to know what they are talking about. If the game obviously in no way worked in the way they described, then they lied.

Baller lied. We have screenshots dating to that. Dress it up however you want. Blame op. Say he is a drama queen. Baller still lied and screwed someone.

#94 3 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

ut if someone tells me that the game should work minus a part. If that person has been in the hobby for awhile. If they deal in games. I expect them to know what they are talking about.

You are bound to get burned... too many simply don't even KNOW how it's supposed to work. Even the innocents do it.

You're willing to take gambles... that's fine.. your choice. But do you point the finger at everyone else for failing to protect you when you get a surprise? Did pinside fail you for failing to vet your game for you?

Self-responsibility - it's a thing in pinball too.

#95 3 years ago

Is Baller same as Gecko?

#96 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

You are bound to get burned... too many simply don't even KNOW how it's supposed to work. Even the innocents do it.
    You're willing to take gambles... that's fine.. your choice. But do you point the finger at everyone else for failing to protect you when you get a surprise? Did pinside fail you for failing to vet your game for you?
    Self-responsibility - it's a thing in pinball too.

So this is justified? I really think you need to spend some time in the trenches, Coming up from nothing. Maybe you’ll understand where I’m coming from. But just judging to your responses. You acting very privileged,Baller88 shouldn’t be held responsible for this even tho it was hidden and was told one thing and got another. This type of attitude is just enforcing that this was ok. Says a lot about You as person . At this point I could careless if I get this resolved, it’s never going to. But
    Maybe the next guy that deals with him won’t get boned.

#97 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Is Baller same as Gecko?

NO, they are friends though

#98 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Is Baller same as Gecko?

Can't speak for baller but Gecko hasn't been on pinside for a while nor have I seen him at the Rockland Pinball shop for a long time.

#99 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

NO, they are friends though

Gecko157 is the guy that posted Kaneda’s HR director number

That’s why I wondered if they were the same guy

#100 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Gecko157 is the guy that posted Kaneda’s HR director number
    That’s why I wondered if they were the same guy

Two different geckos.

Njgecko

There are 288 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buyer-beware-baller88-/page/2?hl=otto110 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.