Topic Stats

• 396 posts
  • 154 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by TigerLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 57 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
TCGarage (resized).jpg
ThatsAShame (resized).jpg
chogs (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpg
2 face (resized).jpg
IBTL (resized).jpeg
dead to me board (resized).jpg
Gomez-s-Train-Wreck-addams-family-5704531-400-300 (resized).jpg
dead to me (resized).jpg
mim+-+adj (resized).jpg
Morton (resized).jpg
ship (resized).jpg
drop (resized).jpg
Boom (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 396 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.
#1 2 years ago

I recently bought a Judge Dredd from treasure cove pinball. http://www.treasurecovepinball.com. Ray, the owner stated the game was thoroughly tested and working 100%.

When I received the game. That was far from the truth. The coin slots don't work, several LED's don't work, the left "launch" button doesn't work, the left flipper Button sticks and memory didn't save.

Upon further inspection the WPU board was severely damaged due to severe battery acid damage.

I had e-mail and texted Ray for a week. With no reply. Last night he finally e mailed me back and now he's lying and basically saying the WPU just got this damage in the week I've had it.

As you can see, he discounted the game $200.00. Not, $800.00 like he's saying and claiming the acid damage happened since last Monday,1-30-17.

I have nothing but respectful and polite throughout this process with him.

IMG_1208 (resized).PNG
IMG_1209 (resized).PNG
IMG_1217 (resized).PNG
IMG_1179 (resized).JPG

#3 2 years ago

Well this isn't going to go well.

#4 2 years ago

funny response back - obviously that corrosion has been there for a looooooooong time...

#5 2 years ago

That damage did not happen within in a week. It takes a lot longer than that (months or years) for the leaking material to completely dry out, corrode metal, and crystallize to form that powdery alkaline salt. If it has only been a week or two, it would still be wet and oily.

However, if the seller won't make it right, then you can try to contact Duracell, since the battery has leaked before its expiration date (2024). They will likely ask for photos and the replacement cost of the board.

#6 2 years ago

That corrosion didn't come from those batteries.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That corrosion didn't come from those batteries.

Yep, you're right--good eye. The negative side of the batteries are clean.

#8 2 years ago

I put those batteries in just to check if that was the issue.

#9 2 years ago

That guy is having a laugh if he thinks the board was clean when he sent the game to you.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Kal_el:

I put those batteries in just to check if that was the issue.

Hope you saved the leaking batteries--Duracell (or Energizer, if those were used) will probably want photos of them.

#11 2 years ago

Taking orders for popcorn now....

#12 2 years ago

3200 for a JD...that needs a new MPU....

#13 2 years ago

There's a particular collector here in LA who has been wronged by Treasure Cove and obviously he isn't the only one.

#14 2 years ago

I do not think this is Duracell's problem, this is on Ray who sold him the game telling him it was 100%. The seller needs to make this right with the buyer, so it's on the seller to try and contact Duracell and jump through all the hoops.

As an edit to this post, the seller shouldn't even have to contact the battery company. For that price and claiming it's 100%, the seller should have replaced the board with a completely new one.

#15 2 years ago

WOW...paying that much for a game from a reputable (?) retail seller and that is the condition of the board??? Shameful, should be taken care of by the seller immediately .
And why would you send as friends and family?, you have no recourse if there is an issue...I understand the seller wants it this way to avoid charges but you have no protection...

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

WOW...paying that much for a game from a reputable (?) retail seller and that is the condition of the board??? Shameful, should be taken care of by the seller immediately .
And why would you send as friends and family?, you have no recourse if there is an issue...I understand the seller wants it this way to avoid charges but you have no protection...

I know. I'm rather new at this. Learning experience.

#17 2 years ago

I have great respect for Treasure cove, and I am sure somehow this will be rectified.

#18 2 years ago

probably a good idea to update the thread title to denote treasure cove is the selller for people to be aware of.

#19 2 years ago

also, is he really having people split payment to his dead brothers paypal account and requesting friends and family paymnet for this???

#20 2 years ago

yeah "friends and family" paypal always seems shady to me from a retailer.

and that corrosion is way older than a week

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

I have great respect for Treasure cove, and I am sure somehow this will be rectified.

I've tried. Again, he's saying the battery acid damage happened the week I've had the pin and he discounted the game $800.00 so he can't reimburse me. He only discounted $200.

When we got to the point he was lying was when I decided to post it.

#22 2 years ago

well I guess you can say YOU GOT CHOGGARD!

#23 2 years ago

Treasure Cove obviously knew the board was damaged before selling it. Shame on them. I will never do business with this company now. Thanks for posting this.

#24 2 years ago

Discounted by 800 to 3200? Should be discounted by 800 from 3200. Retailers who sell at prices like these often include a warranty, guess that isnt the case here.

A few lessons learned here. Never send paypal gift unless you know the person well enough to trust them

Always ask for a full set of pics, paying particular attention to the battery area.

Its also helpful if the seller can provide a video of the game working showing something that proves the date he is shooting the video.

If was asked for this, i wouldnt hesitate for a second to provide it.

He likely split the funds up because paypal doesnt like/allow for gifts in large amounts.

#25 2 years ago

That's very disappointing and I hope that both parties can come together to work out a solution. If not, the court of public opinion will weigh in and that's not very good in a niche community like ours.

Posting Vid's "How not to get ripped off" guide for those viewing this thread and wanting to learn more: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide

#26 2 years ago

Thanks dude. He just emailed me back saying even a$200 discount is enough for a new board.

He's not working anything out. If there was hope, I wouldn't post.

#27 2 years ago

By the looks of it, that board had one hell of a week!

#28 2 years ago

Thanks for the heads up on who not to do business with...

#29 2 years ago

If you paid Pay Pal via credit card, then open a case with the CC company immediately.

#30 2 years ago

I am going to give Treasure Cove the benefit of the doubt. I would expect them to make this right.

#31 2 years ago

Thanks for making us aware of this! Treasure Cove needs to make this right.

They've lost my business until they've done so.

#32 2 years ago

Unfortunately there have been several people with similar stories over the last few years and none of them got any help after the sale. I have purchased a couple of restored games from TC and was completely happy with them. I always picked them up and play tested them with Allen. I always enjoyed chatting with Allen and he is definitely missed. If TC wants to continue in the hobby they are going to have to step their restorations and fix issues when they come up. There's to much information spread around these days to screw people over and expect it not to come back to bite you.

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

I am going to give Treasure Cove the benefit of the doubt. I would expect them to make this right.

He e-mailed me back stating even the discount he gave me would cover the cost of the board.

#34 2 years ago

I was opening this thread expecting to find an over sensitive buyer as is often the case but this.... well this is just bullshit.

Treasure Cove should replace the board. Plain and simple.

Thanks for the heads up. I value good customer service over almost anything when buying goods.

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from Kal_el:

He e-mailed me back stating even the discount he gave me would cover the cost of the board.

The both of you agreed on a price up-front for a 100% working game. It's not a 100% working game, so the seller should address it. The buyer shouldn't be on the hook for something significant that the seller missed or messed up on.

That's like negotiating a price from a car dealership, driving it off the lot, having the engine fall out, and the dealership saying that the reduced price should cover the cost of the repairs.

#36 2 years ago

"you played for a while...so I don't know what happened"?? Really? on that board? That is just blatantly ripping someone off.

#37 2 years ago

Never dealt with Ray, but Allen was a stand-up guy.

#38 2 years ago

"I don't know what happened." Sounds about right when the game wasn't gone through prior to selling. If that board damage was identified and not addressed or mentioned to the buyer prior to the sale then shame on the seller.

#39 2 years ago

As a machine seller, I would have very well documented images of a machine before it left my possession. I don't want to get bit in the butt upon a machine arriving at a customer with damage, it's simple CYA?
Has the seller offered up any images to support their claim? The machine may have indeed functioned before it left their possession but a thorough inspection by them would have indicated to them the corrosion had been there for quite some time. They stated it was tested 100% but not necessarily "inspected"... I'm suddenly recalling the Brady Bunch episode when Greg buys a lemon of a car and how the salesperson "spun" the idiosyncrasies it had!

#40 2 years ago

I know who won't sell me any Treasures. What a D*ick. And the price from the get go is ridiculous.

#41 2 years ago

http://treasurecovepinball.com/photo-gallery.htm

There is a JD in their photo gallery. However, the image resolution is too low to make out what the serial numbers on the boards are.

Did you happen to receive any high-res photos, and do any of the serial numbers match the ones on your game or boards?

I'm interested to see if old photos were recycled or not.

[edit]: Here's another one from a few years back on their old site: http://www.treasure-cove.net/JudgeDredd.htm

#42 2 years ago

for sure that battery damage took many months to get like that. hope they replace it. especially with the price paid for a JD

#43 2 years ago

Arrrgh! I just ordered drop decals for my jd from these guys. Now i wish i hadn't! What a p.o.s! They were just 7 dollars though. I might mail them back to him with a letter that says hes a scamming loser out of principle for the op

#44 2 years ago

Treasure Cove has sold hundreds (thousands?) of games over the years and they're an established "high end" retailer. Wouldn't you think that they would at least remote mount the battery holder to prevent future problems with alkaline damage for their customers?

It's a ticking time bomb that will eventually happen, and many buyers will never change (or know to change) the original batteries that come with their game. At least if they're remote mounted it won't destroy the board and the service call would be as easy as guiding the customer through the battery replacement and audit settings.

#45 2 years ago

If you paid your Paypal by credit card, call you credit card company and file a chargback - right now.

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

http://treasurecovepinball.com/photo-gallery.htm
There is a JD in their photo gallery. However, the image resolution is too low to make out what the serial numbers on the boards are.
Did you happen to receive any high-res photos, and do any of the serial numbers match the ones on your game or boards?

I'm interested to see if old photos were recycled or not.

[edit]: Here's another one from a few years back on their old site: http://www.treasure-cove.net/JudgeDredd.htm

He sent me photos but none of the backbox area or CPU's.

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from Kal_el:

He sent me photos but none of the backbox area or CPU's.

Can you post what you received? Was there a photo of the back of the game? Does that serial number match your game?

#48 2 years ago

Let's say TC had multiple JD's. Let's also say they didn't really know which one was sent out, the one that was working 100% or the one that still needed some debugging and fixing. As soon as they got the email and the pics showing that they accidentally sent out the one that they knew had issues, their response should have been immediate and full of apologies and stated that somehow they sent the wrong one out.

But that's not the case here. They knew what they had, they knew it's condition, and they sent it out knowing what that person would be getting, which is probably why they discounted it in the first place. They knew they had a piece of crap and were kind of "hedging their bets" by trying to cut someone a deal on a game they knew needed work. They didn't want to do the work themselves, so they discounted it.

This was intentional. This was fraud. I've never bought anything from TC. Now I never will.

#49 2 years ago

Wow, that is disappointing to see and read. Treasure Cove used to be a very respectable seller of pins. I think Allen was the man in charge though, so perhaps with his passing Treasure Cove will not be anything like it once was.

I don't even consider myself much of a "retailer" and will warranty backbox boards for 3 months. When I see a board like that I pull it and replace it as it will never be reliable without a lot of work.

As for the "don't pay with Paypal gift" crowd...that's easy to say now, or when you're the buyer and not the seller. Everyone wants a better deal so if the price is lower with Paypal gift and the seller is reputable, 99 times out of 100 you'll be fine. I really think Allen's passing has added some complications to this transaction. But either way the OP shouldn't be stuck with that CPU board.

#50 2 years ago

You could always report him to paypal as a commercial retailer abusing the 'friends and family' method.

But, that doesn't really solve anything.........

Rob

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 259.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Miami, FL
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 150.00
Playfield - Protection
Republic Of Pinball
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
2,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Ramon, CA
Sale Pending!
Lacey Township, NJ
$ 50.00
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 396 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside