8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by BrianZ
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I have been looking all over for certain machines and the only place I can find them for sale is through actual businesses. These and the ones on ebay. Both are rediculously overpriced if you go by the Pinside prices but they do/should come 100% working and shopped. I was just curious if you all ever pay their prices or just wait for ones on CL or mrpinball or maybe even here. I am about to buckle and pay about $700 more than I should for a BR.

#2 8 years ago

I always wait, whatever you overpay, you won't be getting back.

#3 8 years ago

You CAN contact the busineses directly, either by phone or email and attempt to negotiate a
    lower price.

I've contacted one business that sells on ebay and they were very receptive and nice about
    lowering their prices. I told them what I was looking for and the price range I was willing to
    pay for their pin and they said when I was ready to buy to contact them and we would deal.

I wasn't nasty to them and didn't slam them for having overpriced pins, just told them
    what I was willing to pay and they kept the lines of communication open. At least in my case
    they responded back and are willing to negotiate on pricing.

Good Luck

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from futurepinhead:

but they do/should come 100% working and shopped

Really research the company you plan to buy from and check the game out in person if at all possible. Just because it says shopped, doesn't mean it is. I've shopped and repaired many games for people who supposedly bought them shopped and working.

In fact, the first game I ever bought I paid too much for, and had to re-shop and repair it.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from JWS64:

You CAN contact the busineses directly, either by phone or email and attempt to negotiate a
    lower price.

I've contacted one business that sells on ebay and they were very receptive and nice about
    lowering their prices. I told them what I was looking for and the price range I was willing to
    pay for their pin and they said when I was ready to buy to contact them and we would deal.

I wasn't nasty to them and didn't slam them for having overpriced pins, just told them
    what I was willing to pay and they kept the lines of communication open. At least in my case
    they responded back and are willing to negotiate on pricing.

Good Luck

Yeah, I tried that with one BR, the guy was wanting a $1000 over pinside price before shipping and I told him how much I would be willing to pay for it. The guy got so pissed he started yelling at me, "Black Rose is a classic game! I don't care if I have to sit on it for a few years somebody will buy it!" and hung up. I agree that with some games he would be able to sit on the higher prices but when your company has 70 pinballs and you are not selling any on ebay, you would think he might eventually have to reconsider.

#6 8 years ago

Do you have the time to mess around and wait? Some people have more money than time. It's all up to you, man. Finding good machines is a pain in the butt!

#7 8 years ago

I'm in the same boat. I am having a hard time waiting, but some of these businesses local and online just want ridiculous prices. I would rather buy from another enthusiast but it's a waiting game.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

I'm in the same boat. I am having a hard time waiting, but some of these businesses local and online just want ridiculous prices. I would rather buy from another enthusiast but it's a waiting game.

Yeah I have talked to a lot of people about it and what I have determined is, people who currently own pins tell you to wait. People without are about to go nuts like me. My final opinion is that you have to buy one so you have something to play. You then have to buy another because everyone knows that pins swim in schools. You then proceed to wait. I am saving right now because there is a local strip club with a TAF. I am going to go inside with $2000 and offer them
    $1000 and work up. It just makes me really nervous because this is a bad bad strip club. I am deciding whether it would be better to do in person or over the phone.

#9 8 years ago

futurepinhead, the way I look at it is if I don't ask I don't know if they're flexible on pricing.

For every door slammed, another door opens.

Getting yelled at or a phone slammed down is the price you pay if you're looking to haggle.

I could care less if a seller yells at me or has a difference of opinion. I'm not out any money
    and it tells me alot about the seller if they can't keep their cool when dealing with someone
    either in person or on the phone.

So far in my contacts directly I've got 2 sellers that are waiting on me to purchase from
    them in 2012. One has already agreed to ship to me for free, FREE SHIPPING. You cannot
    beat that.

#10 8 years ago

I have Scared Stiff which I bought from a dealer about two months ago. It's an original, unrestored pin, that needed nothing. It was never on route and does not smell like a bar. No cabinet fade, perfect playfield and damn-near factory condition.

It was exactly what I was looking for. I paid $3600 for it shipped to my door (Denver to Phoenix). Yes, it's more than the prices listed here on pinside, but in my defense, I didn't find this website until after I bought it!

Still, I have no regrets and am very happy with it!

You then have to buy another because everyone knows that pins swim in schools.

I thought they ran in packs?

Johnny

#11 8 years ago

the craigslist hunt is a big part of the fun for me. However, pickins seem pretty slim as of late. Maybe with new games being released things will pickup soon.

#12 8 years ago

I'd say it depends on the game, and how many games are on your wish list. If you are holding out for a Bally City Slicker, you should probably buy one from a dealer because you will literally never find one on CL. But if you are looking for a HS, it will come up cheap on CL or similar soon enough. I think BR is a tough one because it is not incredibly rare and could be on CL, but not sure it is worth the wait if you are really excited about it now. Also depends on how long you want to keep it. If you overpay for it now and try to sell/trade it in a few months, you'll have spent quite a bit to rent it, but if you have BR for years and years, then slightly overpaying isn't a big deal. A lot of the pins I am looking for are hard to find, so overpaying is quite likely.

#13 8 years ago

Both are rediculously overpriced if you go by the Pinside prices but they do/should come 100% working and shopped.

Be careful making this assumption. To some people (far too many frankly) 100% working means the game powers up, and shopped means the the middle of the playfield was wiped off with a damp rag.

#14 8 years ago

I come across stuff that's priced reasonably every now and then but I'm not about to buy them if they aren't what i want. If anyone local wants to "team up" i'm more than game. I've tried messaging a few guys here but you must think i'm shady so I'm YELLING this out loud for the pinside world to hear.

#15 8 years ago

I'd wait. If you buy a shopped, rebulbed etc machine, what's the fun?

I think that half the fun is getting the lower-priced version when it's dirty and needs repairing.. then getting the satisfaction of doing so.

My .02 cents.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

I think that half the fun is getting the lower-priced version when it's dirty and needs repairing.. then getting the satisfaction of doing so.

My .02 cents.

I agree, I have been holding out for a project because I don't want to play a premium for somebody to have done all the fun stuff, when I really want to learn how to do it all myself.

#17 8 years ago

I prefer to wait that way you can continue to save not to mention get them for a better price. But it does require a lot of patience especially if you are looking for a rare pin. Either way I wish you luck in your search!

#18 8 years ago

Condition is king. Buy on that, no matter where, and always figure on having to do work. Then you won't be pissed when your "completely restored" game has issues once you get it.

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from guymontag451:

I agree, I have been holding out for a project because I don't want to play a premium for somebody to have done all the fun stuff, when I really want to learn how to do it all myself.

I think there are two sides to this coin. I also like the challenge a project pin presents (and have it spades with the bad wizard), but there is a completely different line of maintenance work my restored BK presents. Not much work per se, but more cleaning and the little things that pop up with any machine being run. I guess it depends on how much work you want to get personal satisfaction from. If you want a deep dive, watch for the worst example of a pin you really want. If its just maintenance you're looking for, then over paying for a machine that is always playing but you can tinker with may well be worth the price

#20 8 years ago

Well if you have ten thumbs, boxes of cash under your bed,
    and ants in your pants to buy a pin now then you only have one path......

#21 8 years ago

How much is your time worth to you?

I understand some folks love the hunt, but if money is the only factor then consider this: Say you spend 30 minutes a day searching classifieds, ebay, RGP, Pinside, etc. If it takes you a year to find the machine you are looking for, that $700 dollars you saved amounts to about $4/hr for your time spent. Also, you have deprived yourself of a year of enjoyment that you could have had. I would rather just find some extra work, get the machine and start playing me some pinball!

my 2c

good luck,
    Shawn

I have been looking all over for certain machines and the only place I can find them for sale is through actual businesses. These and the ones on ebay. Both are rediculously overpriced if you go by the Pinside prices but they do/should come 100% working and shopped. I was just curious if you all ever pay their prices or just wait for ones on CL or mrpinball or maybe even here. I am about to buckle and pay about $700 more than I should for a BR.

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from hawkeye11:

In fact, the first game I ever bought I paid too much for, and had to re-shop and repair it.

I did the same thing on my first pin. I did negotiate them down about 20% of the asking price.

#23 8 years ago

It depends. For example if you want a Checkpoint like I do, dealers are the way to go. If you want a TFTC, which seems to often pop up on CL, then classifies are the way to go.

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

For example if you want a Checkpoint like I do, dealers are the way to go.

There is a checkpoint on CL up here kwiki but a long trip for you here it is.
    sfbay.craigslist.org link

#25 8 years ago

I am deciding whether it would be better to do in person or over the phone.

I would go in person with the $2000 in ones.

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from jay:

Be careful making this assumption. To some people (far too many frankly) 100% working means the game powers up, and shopped means the the middle of the playfield was wiped off with a damp rag.

Last week I spent 4 hours driving each way to a dealer in Myrtle Beach, SC to see a STTNG that was "fully shopped and plays great" - It is currently on that auction site. Machine is dirty, has broken plastics, and re-boots as soon as you use the flipper. Walked out after about 3 minutes. Bought one this week for the same price that is in excellent shape.

#27 8 years ago

I think people who mentioned the time value of money are exactly right. I don't see it being worth it to spend an extra half year or longer to save a few hundred bucks. Now if it is a 1000 or more then it is definitely worth it. But if a reputable dealer has one for 300 extra then I'd say it is worth it, especially if they have a warranty included and offer high trade in value if you get bored with it.

Besides the machine might go up in value during the months you are looking for one and you'll end up spend just as much as you would have originally from a dealer.

1 month later
    #28 8 years ago

I've bought three machines off CL and had to go through each one...it depends who you buy them from. ALL said, "machine is awesome, new rubbers, etc." and NONE of them had new rubbers, the playfields were crazy dirty and things just barely worked...but I paid a fraction of what a shop would charge and have an average of $400 - $800 in each one, fixing them up - but they're AWESOME now, all three of the "working" ones. I just finished the first HS I bought from a local bar/restaurant and it plays just as awesome as it did when I bought it...but looks A LOT better and I'm going to sell it with a FULL description of what's been done, but it won't cost anywhere near the $2,500 the places who "fully shop" them out.

The first HS I bought was my first machine, I took it all apart within 2 weeks of purchase...three months ago. It's nice to finally get it back together but it has to go as I bought a VERY NICE condition HS from a local...and that one's next on the disassembly line.

I'm going to say, if you're mechanically inclined, have at least SOME talent in those hands of yours...and you're a bit "anal" - go for the cheaper machines that still have little to no playfield wear and go from there. Once the playfield is worn (my first HS is) there's no returning it to a condition that'll satisfy most of us...the cabinets can be fixed as long as the artwork hasn't been compromised.

The Checkpoint I just picked up has the artwork on the sides of the backbox "wiped" - it's pure black and I didn't catch that until I had it for a few days - kind of made me laugh when I figured it out - oh well, you don't see it when the machines are side by side anyway...that's how I live with it...but bought the thing for $700 and all it needed was a micro-switch replaced on the ramp so the "speed sensor" worked - playfield is decent, going to strip and clear it probably...in the end, it'll be a beautiful machine (sans backbox artwork) and I won't have a ton of $$$$$$$ wrapped up in it like I do my first HS!!

#29 8 years ago

I meant to add, MOST people who are selling a pinball machine know little to nothing about it...even the ones who claim the "playfield has no wear" are full of it...an easy way to tell if they know pins or not is to ask for pics...if they leave the glass on, buyer beware! ...ALWAYS go see the machine in person these days, especially if it's a "vintage" machine.

Their definition of "great condition" may differ FAR from ours.

The Checkpoint I bought, the owner didn't even know the name of it, just advertised it as "Pinball Machine" and I had to look at the crappy picture he posted to see it was a Checkpoint. I called and said, "I'm interested in your Checkpoint machine" and he paused, I could hear him walking over to the machine, and said, "oh yeah, the pinball machine"...I knew I was in for some investigating before driving 2hrs.

He answered ALL of my questions with, "yes, it's in great shape" - what I found was a bit different. It needs a TOTAL shop out but will definitely turn out to be a beautiful machine, as stated in my previous post.

Did I mention it WILL be a beautiful machine?

#30 8 years ago

PM sent I know a few local collectors for future to get in contact with.

#31 8 years ago

I have snagged a couple from dealers and either got 400 or 500 knocked off.

#32 8 years ago

sometimes you need to over pay for a pin to learn how to get deals later. You will win some and lose some, but you will get smarter Now I'm looking for a 2nd pin and since I have a pin to keep my company I am waiting for a deal on a machine I like...so its easier to wait...well not really but sorta.

#33 8 years ago

My first machine was from a small repair operation in the north and I had to pay the shipping, so the total price was well above what a local purchase would have been. But it was my first machine and I had ants in my pants instead of patience. It wasn't that big of a financial mistake but it taught me to look for local private sellers, as in not more than a couple hundred miles. Of course, my pins are not in the 'A' list, so shipping constitutes a fairly significant portion of the avoided cost of going local. My "wish list" pins, however, may require a dealer transaction as I rarely see them come up inside the state through a private seller and out of state pins will likely require shipment. As other posters have noted, it's all about how bad you "need" the pin. P/F condition is paramount as the rest can be handled with minimum expense, unless, of course, you need a $700 set of plastics or a whole new series of circuit boards.
    the other Skip

#34 8 years ago

There is no pin that I want bad enough to justify paying $500 to $1000 more than what I could sell it for.

#35 8 years ago

Yeah, I'm definitely going to learn my lesson from the 1st HS1 purchase, I have at least $1,200 into it and considering the playfield wear and missing beacon, I'd be lucky to get $1,200 out of it - VERY lucky...

The "added value" of the lesson learned is that I definitely learned A LOT from the reconditioning process, even had the motherboard take a dump mid-rebuild, that hurt but sent it to Ed Cheung, the "master" and all is good now...he's a bit more pricey but Clive's operation (Coin Op Cauldron) was about to shut down for a few weeks in October...and I definitely had ants in my pants!

#36 8 years ago

Buyers should know that eBay takes their cut, Paypal or Visa takes their cut, arranging for shipping takes valuable time, crating takes time.

If you want the best deal, pay cash and pick it up in person.

#37 8 years ago

It helps to have a huge wishlist.

That way when the no-brainers surface, you add those titles slowly one at a time; also, you never know what's coming next, which is kind of fun.

#38 8 years ago

Hey,

Just my two cents, but here's what I have done. I had a small list of machines I was looking for (I think at the time it was Black Knight, Pin*Bot, Space Shuttle, and maybe High Speed?), and I was going to be in the Minneapolis area. I put a posting up on rec.games.pinball saying I was going to be there, and was looking for those specific games. I ended up getting a Black Knight in pretty much immaculate condition.

The moral? Put the word out that you're looking in a specific area and see what comes up. I'd suggest throwing something up here and on RGP. In that way, you've killed two birds. First, the people that frequent Pinside and RGP know you're looking, and they might have what you want. Secondly, people with pinball machines know people with pinball machines. A guy who's on Pinside or RGP might not have the machine, but he might know someone who does.

Luke

#39 8 years ago
    Quoted from lukerp:

The moral? Put the word out that you're looking in a specific area and see what comes up. I'd suggest throwing something up here and on RGP. In that way, you've killed two birds. First, the people that frequent Pinside and RGP know you're looking, and they might have what you want. Secondly, people with pinball machines know people with pinball machines. A guy who's on Pinside or RGP might not have the machine, but he might know someone who does.

Ya, thats a good idea. There are probably a lot of people who don't post FS ads but are good with selling one. I also would rather sell to another pinsider than some random person. I'm kinda ramping up to get a 2nd pin, and have been thinking how to find it...I'll have to make a WTB ad.

#40 8 years ago

Good stories...I am looking for a nice Gottlieb wedgehead baseball themed game. I suppose it is best to wait until the Dixon (California) PAGG and come armed with CASH and jump on a game then.

#41 8 years ago

Thanks for all the advice. Since I posted this, I have bought my first machine and I am getting in touch with a lot more people and having a lot better luck finding my wishlist machines.

#42 8 years ago

Keep an eye out for local places that do coin-op. They're probably taking a lot of machines off the route, just like we are. We tend to be more expensive than person-to-person, but cheaper than plain retail.

#43 8 years ago

You can sit around and waste your life waiting, or you can buy now. If it's important to you, you will spend more, if you feel you can wait, and you have other machines, depending on the machine, it will come up sometime.

I was really wanting a TZ so I paid about $1,000 more at the time, which is now all in all under what I would expect to sell. I was getting close to that with a LOTR, which I'm getting tomorrow. I will be close to overpaying for a Rbion soon as well, again, as I REALLY want one.

My friend has bought a few from dealers, and they can be talked down quite a bit. Their world is the one before kijiji/CL/ebay and they don't get as much business as before at their bend over and take it rates.

I talked my TZ down, and got free shipping to Canada. Of course, they screwed me in many ways after, which you should expect to

All for a BR? Have you played this game? It's not bad, but overpaying for a game you are not really familiar with is chancy, as you will lose big if you turn it over in 6 months.

#44 8 years ago

I dunno....In order of 'fun', for me it goes:

1) Fixing/Restoring
    2) Hunting
    3) Playing
    4) Selling

So, I don't mind CL and don't mind the wait. I jump on any title that comes up that I know that I can put money into, enjoy the game for awhile, and sell without losing money. Occasionally, however, because I have limited space, I end up with a backlog of games awaiting shop jobs. I currently have a Wizard!, BK and Pin*bot all in line, but I still monitor CL everyday

#45 8 years ago

I am saving right now because there is a local strip club with a TAF. I am going to go inside with $2000 and offer them
    $1000 and work up. It just makes me really nervous because this is a bad bad strip club. I am deciding whether it would be better to do in person or over the phone.

I never though about looking pins in strip clubs....you should definately go in person, at least it may not be a total loss!

#46 8 years ago

Around me all the strip clubs are all owned by biker gangs. I would not be doing that.

#47 8 years ago
    Quoted from nasco62:

I never though about looking pins in strip clubs....you should definately go in person, at least it may not be a total loss!

Not go in person...... seriously? You need to check to make sure everything looks good. The pin that is.....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    £ 39.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    £ 89.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.00
    $ 28.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    € 222.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Buthamburg
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 21.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 149.00
    $ 5,999.99
    € 8.40
    $ 499.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 18.95
    $ 11.95
    $ 235.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 96.77
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball-Mods.com
    $ 7,500.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside