Topic poll

“Buy Starship Troopers or Independence Day? POLL”

• Starship Troopers 55 votes
    75%
  • Independence Day 18 votes
    25%

(73 votes)

#1 1 year ago

I know they're not the deepest of games, but I like both themes.
I've never played either one.
What do you fine chaps think?

Kyle

#2 1 year ago

That extra flipper on starship troopers is annoying

#3 1 year ago

Ok, if you must then buy ID4. Aside from having a lot of glued on toys, there ain't much going on SST.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

That was the big concern I had about SST.

#5 1 year ago

I own both and I vote starship troopers because on Independence day you can just shoot the left loop over and over because it's a safe shot and after you get your ten x bonus the lanes up top are worth 50 million.

#6 1 year ago

You can ignore the second flipper on SST if you want. It's by far the better game, with a unique ruleset for a dmd Era game.

#7 1 year ago

Bonus question: Does anyone know how many Starship Troopers were produced?

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from KYLEDM5:

Good question.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

That was one of the things I though the was awesome about sst, it uses its own button so if you don’t like it then don’t use it. But to me that was something that I found to be a positive

#10 1 year ago

Not a fan of the extra flipper either, but I would go for Starship all day.

#11 1 year ago

I've owned both, I like both. However sst has a lot more staying power as it is way more challenging imo.

#12 1 year ago

I've owned both, ID4 is average at best while SST is actually a pretty great game. The extra flipper feels weird at first but after awhile I began to use it for specific shots and ended up wondering why it wasn't used in more games.

#13 1 year ago

SST is an amazing game! Possibly the most underrated DMD still.

3rd flipper is absolutely great and I can't believe how many people are complaining about it. Tells me that they obviously have very little time on SST. Little flipper is great for catching it out of scoop, shooting the saucer on the left, grabbing double kills in specific ways, back handing right ramp, and on the fly shots to warrior bug. Seriously, the little 3rd flipper is genius and implemented very well.

SST is also a reasonably deep game, lots of multiballs but you have to earn most of them and the flow is spectacular.

SST is seriously a wonderful game!

#14 1 year ago

SST all the way

I like the flipper and the rules are fun

#15 1 year ago

Starship troopers by a mile

#16 1 year ago

Do you like the Independence Day movie?

The movie is one of my favorites. I owned the pin for several years. My wife is still sad that I sold it.

Get the ID4. Not deep, but fun.

#17 1 year ago

SST All Day!!! It's not even close. Good rules, fun shots, lots of multiballs. Just a fun layout!

#18 1 year ago

As stated so eloquently by Whysnow, SST is pure pinball fun and you get used to the third flipper very quickly. One of the last great affordable DMD's.

#19 1 year ago

Both movies are great but i love ID4 more and thats why i choose that game. I really enjoy the simple shallow ruleset. I dont need that much. The flow on that game can be really satisfying and the callouts and music are great tie ins from the movie. Red alert mode is hard with those tight ramps and its a good game for amatuer players for a simple shoot the alien and get the multi.

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from KYLEDM5:

1500 is the number I’ve seen a couple of times.

Who doesn’t love the brain bug popping up onto the playfield to bash?

#21 1 year ago

SST. No contest.

#22 1 year ago

Buy both, they’re not too expensive!! I suggest getting them both and enjoying them

#23 1 year ago

I currently have both. SST is one of my favorite games. Gets over 2x the play of ID4 currently.

2 months later
#24 10 months ago

If you like eye candy and a good fun game after work without having to concentrate much then it's ID4.

If you want a serious challenge that still is fun, then SST

#25 10 months ago

SST is the better game with catchy, rocking music. I replaced the head speaker with a woofer and added an inline volume control to lower the damn annoying bug screeches. Also added an external sub and the game really rocked.

ID4 has the annoying WOOOOOO! callout, not sure that anything can be done about that.

#26 10 months ago

Lyman worked on SST. Do with that what you will.

Also the third flipper scores more points than the regular flipper, like how on Demo Man you get bonus combos for using the handles.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 89.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Bright
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
2,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Luling, LA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
PinSound
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside