Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

73A7E40C-D1A7-4C9E-8F04-317BB5723526 (resized).jpeg
097F339C-0E9B-4B51-9814-BC982D151286 (resized).jpeg
DD78D367-1A04-42E0-81D5-68AC41564409 (resized).jpeg
cdcf69c914d0cf8236c0fa26ead0ada487773b85 (resized).jpg
angrySTERNcustomer.png
IO6NJMu (resized).jpg
There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago

Wait 2weeks and see what GOTG looks like.

#52 6 years ago

Buy the one that gets fully coded first

I will bump the thread in 4 years to remind you

1 week later
#53 6 years ago

So... what's your decision?

#54 6 years ago

I would wait. GOTG looks to be the better game in a lot of ways.

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

I would wait. GOTG looks to be the better game in a lot of ways.

More plastic crap? We haven't even seen gameplay video yet...

#56 6 years ago

Perhaps it's not cool to say this and many here won't agree but I think Sterns Star Wars is one of the best games I've ever played. It's so much fun!!! I can already say it's a keeper for me. And I can't understand why so many here can't see how good this game is????

#57 6 years ago

I have SW Premium and we are loving it. However, kiddos, wife and I are all interested in the GOTG also especially after seeing some pics. I personally will not buy a GOTG until I see some real gameplay and know if the code is complete or darn near it. The idea of buying pins with unfinished code and then waiting is not for me anymore. It really feels SW will get done soonish and is complete enough now it probably doesn't really matter to us if we have to wait, but I can wait a while for GOTG.

If you like SW and are wiling to sell later at probably a loss then buy it and enjoy it until you're ready to get GOTG. If you really can only buy one NIB and don't want to mess with selling, then I think you need to wait until probably next year to make a good decision between the two. You need to let the games get out to play them, listen to feedback, see where the code is etc. Only once they are both complete can you really make an informed decision, but I totally understand you may not want to wait.

So, if you want one now, buy SW. Want to wait and make a true decision between the two, then you just gotta wait...

#58 6 years ago

GOTG looks great as well, and looks like it will shoot well, but code makes a huge difference, the beauty of SW is its super fast flow-ey layout (hyperloop is awesome! Reminds me of the fast loop on FT) and that the code is really interesting like GOT, Id bet GOTG will be a great game, but SW already is.

#59 6 years ago

Get a Star wars. Less populated playfield equals less issues and breakage lol

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from Wakky:

Get a Star wars. Less populated playfield equals less issues and breakage lol

And less fun too!

#61 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

And less fun too!

Star Wars (Pro) is a kick ass game . What is your frame of reference ? Less fun to what ?

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

And I can't understand why so many here can't see how good this game is????

Cuz we've played it?

#63 6 years ago

The pictures of GoTG are legit more fun than Star Wars.

But don't decide until you play both. With pinball, there's no rush. Had I ordered Star Wars blindly over Dialed In, I would have been really frustrated with the result. Luckily I got to play both a lot before committing to either.

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

Perhaps it's not cool to say this and many here won't agree but I think Sterns Star Wars is one of the best games I've ever played. It's so much fun!!! I can already say it's a keeper for me. And I can't understand why so many here can't see how good this game is????

Quoted from Rarehero:

Cuz we've played it?

There's a misapprehension that everyone should like the same things in pinball. Rarehero deeply dislikes Dwight's approach to coding scoring rules and multipliers, and therefore cannot get into SW (or GOT for that matter). And that's totally fair, he's tried them and doesn't like them. Others that have also played SW actually enjoy the very things about the game that Rarehero hates, and that's OK too. It's too early in this game's lifetime to judge what its long-term reputation will be anyway, give it a year or two and opinions will have evened out a bit on both the extreme negative and extreme positive ends.

#65 6 years ago

Id say wait... and play both and see where the code is at. We havent seen Gotg DMD, or Rules..

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from flipordie:

Id say wait... and play both and see where the code is at. We havent seen Gotg DMD, or Rules..

GOTG doesn't have a DMD.

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

GOTG doesn't have a DMD.

This Stern cost-cutting has become intolerable!

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

GOTG doesn't have a DMD.

I believe it does, based upon the early pictures released as presale advertisement.

cdcf69c914d0cf8236c0fa26ead0ada487773b85 (resized).jpgcdcf69c914d0cf8236c0fa26ead0ada487773b85 (resized).jpg

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from Flowst:

I believe it does, based upon the early pictures released as presale advertisement.

Do you guys not know that DMD = Dot Matrix Display? GB was the last game with one.

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from Flowst:

You & the moving Groot arms guy would get along great

#71 6 years ago

Wait!!!

#72 6 years ago

Sorry for the technical disparity. I assumed you were referring to a back glass devoid of modern technology displays.
I was trying to diffuse the "stern cost cutting" comment.
I'll contemplate the difference as I enjoy the color DMD displays on my home collection and continue to not purchase Stern's new machines.

#73 6 years ago
Quoted from Flowst:

I was trying to diffuse the "stern cost cutting" comment.

Which was ... a joke.

#74 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Which was ... a joke.

Understood

#75 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

There's a misapprehension that everyone should like the same things in pinball. rarehero deeply dislikes Dwight's approach to coding scoring rules and multipliers, and therefore cannot get into SW (or GOT for that matter).

Not everybody has to like the same games, that's for sure. I don't have a type of game I like or don't like. And I think all pinball games can be fun. I like the hobbit and I like Star Wars two total different games. But there are so many people here that are criticizing Star Wars for things that I can't understand and I am not talking About Rare Hero.

Lack of toys in Star Wars????
I think the Hyper Drive is one of the best toys in Pinball. The only other toy I had more fun with was the crane in Batman. It challenges you, try to get as many balls in this lock as possible. It's a rush.
The Death Star exploding is just a gimmick but a hard goal to work for. Not like in other games were you get the effect of the gimmick in every game. The Tie Fighter isn't cheap. It's a very small target and not easy to hit. And the mini LCD is way better integrated as a toy as in other games.

Theme integration in Star Wars???? Sound and visuals are great and the rules are tied into the context of the story. It reminds me of LotR but on speed.

State Code in Star Wars???
Yes there are a few bugs still left, there are things that could be made better (video mode and hoth 1). But it's already good and can only become better. The Star Wars code is unique and tries things never done before.

Art Design???
I love the cabinet and translite of the premium. It's beautiful. And I think Bob Stelvic is one of the best artists we have in the pinball world. The GoTLE cabinets are stunning and he captured the imperium side on the SW Premium. He knows Star Wars.

These are a few points that are criticized often that I see totaly differnt about this game. But there are other things like the flow, speed and the thousand different ways to attack this game as a player, no game is like the other for me. And it's a rush, a battle, a fight. There is always this next goal that is hard to master. These are things making this one my favourite game. And when I launch the ball, and the music starts, when I battle the sith, circle around the AT-AT Walker, try to go to Hyperspace or dive ino the Death Star tunnel, then I am this little child again that experienced Star Wars for the first time.
We will see how this game will be judged in a few years. I still think when more people give it a chance in their homes, they will see that it's a underated masterpiece.

#76 6 years ago

SW pro is greatness, plain and simple.

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

These are a few points that are criticized often that I see totaly differnt about this game. But there are other things like the flow, speed and the thousand different ways to attack this game as a player, no game is like the other for me. And it's a rush, a battle, a fight. There is always this next goal that is hard to master. These are things making this one my favourite game. And when I launch the ball, and the music starts, when I battle the sith, circle around the AT-AT Walker, try to go to Hyperspace or dive ino the Death Star tunnel, then I am this little child again that experienced Star Wars for the first time.
We will see how this game will be judged in a few years. I still think when more people give it a chance in their homes, they will see that it's a underated masterpiece.

Hey, you’re preaching to the choir here, I own a SW PRemium and I love it! And while it may be frustrating that lots of people judge it without playing it (or without playing it enough to figure out what’s going on) there are people that have actually played it and just can’t get into the multiplier switching thing. I personally find it a fun and exciting element to the game, but if you don’t like it and are serious about your scores, you’re never going to like SW. and that’s OK!

#78 6 years ago

Not everyone has to like the same things. My lord this is why we struggle! If you like SW, that, buy it! If you don’t, don’t!

But don’t try to convince other people who have a different viewpoint that they’re wrong...

Marc

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

But don’t try to convince other people who have a different viewpoint that they’re wrong...

R u new here? I think that's the reason a lot of pinsiders come on to the site to tell people how their game or favorite manufacturer(JJP) is the only way to go and everything else sucks and if you disagree then ur a troll, I love it.

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

R u new here? I think that's the reason a lot of pinsiders come on to the site to tell people how their game or favorite manufacturer(JJP) is the only way to go and everything else sucks and if you disagree then ur a troll, I love it.

Certainly not new to Pinside

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Not everyone has to like the same things. My lord this is why we struggle! If you like SW, that, buy it! If you don’t, don’t!
Marc

I think there are people who get more of a kick out of jumping in a thread and saying they don't like something than they do like something.

In my case, I'm not sure SW is how I'd hoped it would turn out from a design standpoint, but I'm glad there are people who genuinely love it...and I'm not willing to troll them by ripping on it every chance I get (though I think it's possible to critique something without coming off like you're trolling).

Anyway, I played it for the first time (Pro anyways), and while I'm still not sure about buying it, I definitely had fun playing it.

Sadly there wasn't a playable GOTG Pro ready to play yet at the factory when we were there on Wednesday. It sure looked good though.

I'm just not willing to say "never" to a pin. I did that with Star Trek, and now it's sitting in my basement.

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

Star Wars (Pro) is a kick ass game . What is your frame of reference ? Less fun to what ?

I was just joking. I do think GOTG will end up being the better game for me personally at least but SW is a good game. SW is a good game with a good rule set, if you like Dwight’s style of coding but I feel like they dropped the ball capturing the theme visually.

#83 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I feel like they dropped the ball capturing the theme visually.

Oh they did, I love the game but where's Jabba? while I enjoy the the wizard mode "face the emperor" he is highly under used and I would have loved a few more static toys even on the PF, I've played it around 100 times and ready for something new, GOTG pro unless they really screw up the clips and music, I don't need the OG songs but if they make it to family friendly it might kill the game for me. We shall see.

#84 6 years ago

Ok guys, let‘s take the Transite as an example, does it capture the Star Wars theme visually or not?

DD78D367-1A04-42E0-81D5-68AC41564409 (resized).jpegDD78D367-1A04-42E0-81D5-68AC41564409 (resized).jpeg

#85 6 years ago

And you can add cheap static toys to the already great ones in there.

097F339C-0E9B-4B51-9814-BC982D151286 (resized).jpeg097F339C-0E9B-4B51-9814-BC982D151286 (resized).jpeg

73A7E40C-D1A7-4C9E-8F04-317BB5723526 (resized).jpeg73A7E40C-D1A7-4C9E-8F04-317BB5723526 (resized).jpeg

#86 6 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

Not everybody has to like the same games, that's for sure. I don't have a type of game I like or don't like. And I think all pinball games can be fun. I like the hobbit and I like Star Wars two total different games. But there are so many people here that are criticizing Star Wars for things that I can't understand and I am not talking About Rare Hero.
Lack of toys in Star Wars????
I think the Hyper Drive is one of the best toys in Pinball. The only other toy I had more fun with was the crane in Batman. It challenges you, try to get as many balls in this lock as possible. It's a rush.
The Death Star exploding is just a gimmick but a hard goal to work for. Not like in other games were you get the effect of the gimmick in every game. The Tie Fighter isn't cheap. It's a very small target and not easy to hit. And the mini LCD is way better integrated as a toy as in other games.
Theme integration in Star Wars???? Sound and visuals are great and the rules are tied into the context of the story. It reminds me of LotR but on speed.
State Code in Star Wars???
Yes there are a few bugs still left, there are things that could be made better (video mode and hoth 1). But it's already good and can only become better. The Star Wars code is unique and tries things never done before.
Art Design???
I love the cabinet and translite of the premium. It's beautiful. And I think Bob Stelvic is one of the best artists we have in the pinball world. The GoTLE cabinets are stunning and he captured the imperium side on the SW Premium. He knows Star Wars.

I picked up a SWLE a couple weeks ago. Played ~60 games. After 40 games, decided to move the outlane posts in. I rarely do this, but the game was just so brutal that it was necessary.

The game is crazy fast and the build quality seems more solid than Stern's I've purchased since AC/DC. I've also had 0 quality issues...which is rare. I had many NIB issues with fairly late model AC/DC, Metallica & KISS.

I think the PF is so "open", that it's easy for folks to have a quick first impression that the pin is "stark" (when compared with a pin like Dialed In). As you say, the Hyper Drive is awesome. I've had some players claim they don't like the way it blocks your visibility (near the slings), however I don't feel it obstructs my view of the PF at all. I love the metal ramps and wireforms.

The artwork on the LE looks really good. No complaints. More importantly, the light show is awesome...especially some of the cool GI effects.

My only 3 criticisms are:

- The mini-LCD rocks, however it seems under utilized (and often simply mimics what's on the larger display). I hope this "toy" can be better utilized with software updates.
- Would love to hear more callouts (especially those that help motivate/guide the rules). The images from the movie are excellent, however the callouts are sparse. Again, this is easily corrected with a software update.
- Wish the multiplier stuff was easier to grok. I'm not sure I "get it" yet, but it feels like a cool aspect of the game that will grow on me. Don't have any bright ideas about simplifying it.

For me, this game takes at least 50 games before you start appreciating it. Assuming they keep on refining and iterating the code, it could become a masterpiece (I totally agree with you).

snaroff

#87 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

- Wish the multiplier stuff was easier to grok. I'm not sure I "get it" yet, but it feels like a cool aspect of the game that will grow on me. Don't have any bright ideas about simplifying it.

Stick with it - took a while for me too but once I got my first billion-point Hyperspace hurry up shot with the multiplier maxed, I was hooked!

#88 6 years ago

Star Wars game-play, for me at least, is awesome. My first 50 or so games on location were about starting and completing modes, trying to start lightsaber duel and the video mode, etc... etc... But as I grew accustomed to those objectives, I became more comfortable with including the multiplier with my game play choices. There’s this wow moment when it all clicked together, that only heightened that feeling of “just one more game” for me.

It isn’t just “Cool I started the Asteroid Field!” or “Yes I escaped from Boba Fett!”. Now it’s “Dammit, I could’ve scored my points if I had my multiplier doubled before starting the Asteroid Field or escaping from Boba Fett. I gotta do it again.”

That’s when I buckled, and purchased one for myself.

Personally, I think they nailed it with the theme integration. Not every pin has to be crammed with a million things on it to capture the essence of the source material. My nephew commented that he felt like he was in the movies, and that it all “felt real” while playing on it for half an hour non-stop. He’s 11 years old, and normally when he’s in my game room, he doesn’t give a rats-ass about any of my pinball machines, he’s strictly on the arcade games.

My one suggestion to Stern is to truly utilize the LCD screen to include a tutorial for players. Teach them what to do, and what to look out for with this game. The complexity of this game is genius, but most casual players will give up before they get to that moment when it all clicks for them.

Looking forward to GOTG too. Will definitely be dropping some coin once it’s on location here locally.

#89 6 years ago

Get Star Wars now. It’s a great game. So fast and fun. One of the best!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Palm Springs, CA
$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

7,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 21.50
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

8,099 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 10.95
$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buy-star-wars-now-or-wait-for-gotg/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.