Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
error.jpg
TOM_PF.JPG
TOM.JPG
IJ_side_cab.JPG
IJ_Playfield.JPG
There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

So it all started when I was looking for a Road Show or Judge Dredd. I have located an Indiana Jones and Theater of Magic (different sellers) at the same price. I would appericate everyone's opinion on which one to purchase. Yes, I realize that I could just purchase both. I'm not looking for that as a response.

Please vote for which one you'd get if you could only choose ONE.

Details -

Theater of Magic - reimport, fully shopped, waxed, waxed and waxed, works well, I have played it before... some switches need tweaking (not sensitive enough). It's about 20 miles down the street from me. New DMD.

Indiana Jones - routed, currently off location for cleaning, very, very dirty. Smells like cigerates I think. Coin door stripped apart. Possible board switch error. Cracked boulder thing. Faded decals. Cables are all very dirty (black almost).

IJ_Playfield.JPGIJ_Playfield.JPG IJ_side_cab.JPGIJ_side_cab.JPG TOM.JPGTOM.JPG TOM_PF.JPGTOM_PF.JPG

#2 11 years ago

Whats the difference in prices?

#3 11 years ago

The

Quoted from Stack15:I have located an Indiana Jones and Theater of Magic (different sellers) at the same price.

The prices are the same.

#4 11 years ago

why are you double posting?

#5 11 years ago

which is....

#6 11 years ago

To the Moderators:

I am very sorry for the double (or was it triple) posting. I kept getting this error.

error.jpgerror.jpg

#7 11 years ago

Trip Poster!!!!! ........

#8 11 years ago

that's a tough call here. Both are very uneventful. TOM does look better. It's a tie...they both are medium fun games. Maybe low medium. Both could have been so much better if they would have put a little more into the software of TOM, and more into the playfield design of IJ.

#9 11 years ago

Make that four, quadrupler poster.

#10 11 years ago

I'd rather not post the price. I'd just have a bunch of people saying "I wish I was closer" and/or "I'd get both right now!"

It's very easy to spend other people's money. I usually just concentrate on my own. The prices are fair and leave enough room to resell. I'm considering buying both but I'm not a flipper. I have sold three games though (break even, lost some, made some)... most of my "collection history" I traded away.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from pinij93:

Make that four, quadrupler poster.

LeBron has got nothing on me!

#12 11 years ago

I'm sorry for my crazy number of postings. Please keep this one active... If anyone knows how to change the titles of posts, please let me know. I'm trying to change the others to "delete me" but I'm not figuring out how.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

...they both are medium fun games.

That statement is crazy to me. Not saying for a second that you are wrong, simply that these two titles are among the higher priced titles out there. I have played TOM but not IJ, so my input is not going to help. Simply an observation on what could possibly be a true statement from CaptainNeo. Of course, there hasn't been much time for Neo to catch a lashing from the Pinside community on his opinion of the games...

#15 11 years ago

Stack15, click on "edit" for the first entry of the other threads. From there you can change the title to delete me.

#16 11 years ago

I reckon TOM is heaps of fun and looks awesome in a collection. Sadly it gets old very fast though. Not a game for a small line up.

#17 11 years ago

Both are ok games. I think I'd go with TOM because I like the flow. IJ just doesn't do it for me, despite the great theme.

#18 11 years ago

Are you into more technical games (sounds like you might be with TZ, NGG, TAF) or are you looking for something different?

The IJ looks decent but is going to need some work, are you willing to put $500 or so into it?

Chris

#19 11 years ago

IJ

One of the greatest pins of all time. Right up there with ST:TNG, TZ and MM. (IMHO)

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from dapperdan24:

That statement is crazy to me. Not saying for a second that you are wrong, simply that these two titles are among the higher priced titles out there. I have played TOM but not IJ, so my input is not going to help. Simply an observation on what could possibly be a true statement from CaptainNeo. Of course, there hasn't been much time for Neo to catch a lashing from the Pinside community on his opinion of the games...

Price actually has no bearing on how fun a game is. The reality of it, it's all on hype. Many games are hyped up way beyond what they should be as far a fun factor goes. Pinball magic is far superior magic themed game to TOM. TOM is bland and uneventful, but beautiful looking. But there are many Bally Williams snobs out there, that don't give anything else a chance. So TOM is way over hyped. IJ has a great theme, and I wanted to like it so bad. I had a HUO here for about 2 months. Tried to force myself to like it. Wanted to, but couldn't. For the size of the game, there is such a small place to actually play. The POA is a piece of shit. The ball lock on the right, is cool, but takes up to much space. To many video modes. and you play on 25% of the table. B/W really dropped the ball on this game. Again, bally williams snobs keep the games price up there, and many buy it for the theme alone. Even shitty B/W titles get more of a fair chance because they say B/W on the backglass. It's the way it's always been. Sure they have some good games, but so does every manufacturer. Some are just scared to venture outside their box. Some will dip their toes into a newer sterns, but they are still b/w snobs.

#21 11 years ago

I could care less who made the pin or how much it costs (as far rating it goes). "FUN" is numero uno and both TOM and IJ are fun I just happen to think that IJ is way more so. Theme does go a long way especially when it's properly implemented.

I put ST:TNG and IJ right at the top. Then maybe MM (I need to play it more to be sure) and TZ.

LOTR is a fantastic implementation of theme but the games lasted so long that it lost some the fun factor after a while......for me.

If those guys who made the Matrix Pin ever put that thing into production it would probably shoot to #1 for me on theme alone.....assuming a good implementation.

AC/DC and Tron might both be in the running but I have not played either yet.

#22 11 years ago

Ij for me, I am a smoker. So I don't mind the smell. Plus I already own a Tom . I wanted Tom bad because I never had one in my collection. Too me, it is very boring. I love the way it looks and the fan appeal. Other than that , I like gnr way better

#23 11 years ago

Fun wise... I'd really like a Road Show. Not for premium pricing (not over $2,500 in my house).

I apperciate everyone's feedback and look forward to more voting. It is pretty close right now. I think IJ is a better theme for me. I was really leaning towards it earlier today. But some things people pointed out in my quadrule threads moved the needle back. I am going to talk to the IJ seller tomorrow and go play TOM tomorrow. It should be decision day. I hate making others wait and I hate waiting myself too.

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from twinturb089:

I like gnr way better

Hhaha... one of those for sale here too. I have had enough of Data East games... just not for me. I'm keeping WWF because I am a big wrestling fan. All other DE games are off my list for good.

#25 11 years ago

neo can say what he wants, everyone is entitled to their own opinon, his personal opinion means zero to me. i play my theatre more than i play my indy, if i had to get rid of one it would be indy. if you havent played tom or indy, go play them more so you know which one you like more. do you plan on keeping them for a while? if not, both are good titles and can be resold easily.

#26 11 years ago

Both great machines.

#27 11 years ago

I haven't played either since the 90s. Back then I thought both were too hard. Now I know the indy in the arcade needed a flipper rebuild. I spent most of my quarters on TAF and T2 back in my arcade days.

My collection is currently all "keepers" expect for NGG and PinBot. If I get one of these machines NGG will immediately go up for sale. It's in great shape. I just think it is too easy and a little too cartoonish... mainly too easy though.

One thing I left out is that the TOM is owned by one of my friends so the game comes with tech support. I could probably get help with IJ too but it wouldn't be as motivated help.

I think friends would be much more excited about IJ simply because everyone loves the movies.

#28 11 years ago

Oh I left out... I'm in search of the fifth keeper. I keep a lineup of five in the house and the others go in the backyard building.

If I buy neither, the money will just sit until there is a Road Show or a NIB machine I want.

#29 11 years ago

I'd prefer playing the TOM. I always enjoy the Jpop games although the rulesets have steered me away from ownership. If I wanted to have a bunch of games (and it appears your collection is growing), I'd have a couple of the Jpop games.

I had an Indy and I didn't enjoy it that much. It looked and sounded great and I loved the theme, but the game and widebody feel weren't for me. The only widebody I like to play is STTNG tho, so that might just be me.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

Hhaha... one of those for sale here too. I have had enough of Data East games... just not for me. I'm keeping WWF because I am a big wrestling fan. All other DE games are off my list for good.

That's ok. I hate stern games. I am a Bally Williams nut hugger. Why try to re invent the wheel. I have a jp ( friend left here 5 yrs ago with a afm,Elvira,funhouse,and corvette) and the gnr. I love gnr with the speaker upgrade. Ohh I also have a Star Wars de too. But that one was free in a larger deal.

#31 11 years ago

No love for DE? Your missing out. GNR, Tommy, JP, POTO, TM are all great titles. With the new roms SW might be awesome to. LAH isn't bad either. They play just like B/W, don't understand the hate. The pops sound and feel a little cheap because they are stand alone and come completely out with 3 screws. makes working on them super easy. b/w did it on some titles too.

#32 11 years ago

I like both of these games a lot, but if I could only have one in my collection, it would be IJ. It's an awesome theme, and the music and callouts are great.

#33 11 years ago

last action hero is a really nice pin. has a ton of stuff packed into it.

#34 11 years ago

I have them both and they are Top 10 for a reason. They get played almost every night in a 10 pin collection. IJ is a quest with lots of modes and takes some time to complete, if you can make it that far. TOM is fast and flowing with great shots. They are 2 of the best themes of all time.

#35 11 years ago

Both have great art.

Both have grea sound.

Both offer equal flow.

Both offer equal playfield innovations and "wow factor" shots..

To me it's a love for my childhood Heroes that wins out: IJ

...and hey it's a widebody. All that extra real eastate to enjoy.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#36 11 years ago

I love IJ, but looking at the play field and the amount of money you may have to put into it, I would take the TOM. If finances were in good terms, I would definitely pick up both though.

#37 11 years ago

Wow nice picture. I wish the IJ for sale looked like that.

#38 11 years ago

IJ. Also, don't dis DE SW - it is a fun pin. And now there is a new ROM for it that de-emphasizes the ramp shot.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

IJ. Also, don't dis DE SW - it is a fun pin. And now there is a new ROM for it that de-emphasizes the ramp shot.

I actually like playing sw. I wish I was keeping it. I would buy the update.

#40 11 years ago

Only one has a dancing frog - enough said

#41 11 years ago

Indiana Jones is definitely winning in the poll. I am looking at TOM first because it is local.

#42 11 years ago

I think IJ is more fun. Looks like you'll have to put some work in, if you are OK with that I'd go IJ all day.

#43 11 years ago

I vote for ToM. We have both and ToM is slightly ahead of IJ for fun factor. When we guests over everyone tends to gravitate towards ToM. Really you can't go wrong with either pin.

#44 11 years ago

TOM lasted 6 months for me IJ lasted 8 years. IJ is a great game and is challenging however it is not for a pinball neophyte as it can be very difficult to keep running. TOM like most Popadiuk games looks great but gets boring... I've owned WCS,TOM,CV and TOTAN... The only one I still have is TOTAN because my wife loves it plus it's the prettiest..... Either one isn't a bad choice as if you don't like it flipping it won't be difficult.

#45 11 years ago

I would go for IJ. TOM is just too repetitive.

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from twinturb089:

I actually like playing sw. I wish I was keeping it. I would buy the update.

I miss mine. But traded it plus cash for a nice LOTR, so I'm happy.

#47 11 years ago

IJ is a great game. I have had mine for 7 years and it's not going anywhere. Tom is a fun game, but shoot the trunk over and over again gets old after a while. Love the shot leading to the trap door though. Very cool.

#48 11 years ago

TOM is very pretty but I found like others that whilst the flow is amazing, I slowly lost interest and unlike other pins that go, there is no regret.

IJ has tons to do and I am trying to decide whether to pick one up . So IJ.

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

LAH isn't bad either.

That is funny. LAH is a 90s god, deepest machine of the 90s. Fugly as hell for an original translite, but I got my replacement translite last month, and looks completely different.

#50 11 years ago

pics of replacement LAH translite?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Wanted
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 12.95
$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,419.00
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buy-one-indiana-jones-vs-theater-of-magic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.