(Topic ID: 196151)

Buy Metallica Premium NIB or wait for ACDC Premium Vault?

By ASOA

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PtownPin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Metallica Premium NIB or wait for ACDC Premium Vault? or Aerosmith?”

• Metallica Premium 68 votes
      53%
    • ACDC Premium Vault 47 votes
      36%
    • Aerosmith PRO 6 votes
      5%
    • Aerosmith Premium 8 votes
      6%

(129 votes)

#1 1 year ago

Looking to ad to my collection. Asking the community to assist me with my decision. Should I pull the trigger on a NIB Metallica Premium or hold off a month or so for the ACDC Premium Vault edition? What do you think is a better game? What game would be better for a private home collection? Not big into music pins but I would like one to diversify my collection. I would even consider Aerosmith but typically people enjoy the other two titles more. Please let me know your thoughts and why. Thank You.

#2 1 year ago

MET is a much, MUCH better game than AC/DC. No brainer.

#3 1 year ago

From someone who has both games i'd wait for AC/DC. Metallica is fun with the Crank it Up modes but gets very wood choppy after a while.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

Looking to ad to my collection. Asking the community to assist me with my decision. Should I pull the trigger on a NIB Metallica Premium or hold off a month or so for the ACDC Premium Vault edition? What do you think is a better game? What game would be better for a private home collection? Not big into music pins but I would like one to diversify my collection. I would even consider Aerosmith but typically people enjoy the other two titles more. Please let me know your thoughts and why. Thank You.

MET Premium and be sure to add a subwoofer to it. ACDC is a good game, but lacks intermediary goals like the CIU modes MET has.

Rob

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

MET Premium and be sure to add a subwoofer to it. ACDC is a good game, but lacks intermediary goals like the CIU modes MET has.
    Rob

Yes AC/DC lacks a good mini wizard mode but Encore is 10 times better then End of the Line. Hopefully Lyman puts in a nice mini wizard mode at some point.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from smassa:

Yes AC/DC lacks a good mini wizard mode but Encore is 10 times better then End of the Line. Hopefully Lyman puts in a nice mini wizard mode at some point.

If he hasn't done anything with the game in 3+ years then I'm not holding my breath on this. But, an update (even a small one) would certainly boost VE sales.

Rob

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

If he hasn't done anything with the game in 3+ years then I'm not holding my breath on this. But, an update (even a small one) would certainly boost VE sales.
    Rob

Ive heard he has a few things he wants to do with the code but it comes down to how much time he can allocate to it. I'm not holding my breath cause I still have a blast playing the game as it is now but when it happens it will be nice to see.

#8 1 year ago

AC/DC > MET in my book. But I'd search for an original AC/DC... Sterns recent QC is really hit or miss, right along with the cheaper build.

#9 1 year ago

Depends on what you like. Both games are freaking awesome. If you like shorter ball times ACDC. If you cannot make up your mind, get both while you still can.

#10 1 year ago

Acdc premium. That game has had the longest honeymoon phase for me

#11 1 year ago

I love both, but ACDC is my #1.

#13 1 year ago

When was the build date on that NIB Metallica? I know some of the later ones were having the issues with the playfield.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from smassa:

Ive heard he has a few things he wants to do with the code but it comes down to how much time he can allocate to it.

That's the same old pinside rumor from about 3 or 4 years ago?

Rob

#16 1 year ago

Met pro and acdc premium......buy both. Got them both and will always keep em both. My 2 favorite Sterns

#17 1 year ago

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from smassa:

I just want the option to disable the cannon and play without it. Preferably removing the assembly entirely.

Never been able to stop (constant) ball strikes which result in outlane drains ... that and it completely obscures vision.

#19 1 year ago

AC/DC has more appeal to the novice player (lets you feel like your getting some were even if you don't know what your doing) so it would be great at parties with lots of newbies.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

That's the same old pinside rumor from about 3 or 4 years ago?
    Rob

I trust my source.

#21 1 year ago

Met >acdc. Just my opinion of course cuz everyones tastes are different when it come to pinball.

#22 1 year ago

If you can wait a couple of months I would wait to see what the reskin is on ACDC then decide.

#23 1 year ago

I have both and AC/DC is my favorite . I just can't get into Metallica for some reason.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

AC/DC > MET in my book. But I'd search for an original AC/DC... Sterns recent QC is really hit or miss, right along with the cheaper build.

i was going to post something similar, so ill just +1 this.

scope out a nice HUO ACDC premium

#25 1 year ago

Met prem vs AC/DC prem......Very close but imo met looks a little better..... AC/DC plays a little better.......both great can't lose....
    I have both

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

MET is a much, MUCH better game than AC/DC. No brainer.

If you had said "better", I'd have thought, cool, glad you like MET.

If you had said "much better" I'd think hyperbole. After all, they are closely matched. But I'd still think you were sane and really liked MET, and maybe didn't like AC/DC so much.

However, "much, MUCH better" and "no brainer"??? Nope, that's just nuts. I happen to give the edge to AC/DC, but I respect how great both games are. Even if I didn't like MET, I'm able to recognize it's greatness.

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

If you had said "better", I'd have thought, cool, glad you like MET.
    If you had said "much better" I'd think hyperbole. After all, they are closely matched. But I'd still think you were sane and really liked MET, and maybe didn't like AC/DC so much.
    However, "much, MUCH better" and "no brainer"??? Nope, that's just nuts. I happen to give the edge to AC/DC, but I respect how great both games are. Even if I didn't like MET, I'm able to recognize it's greatness.

I'm obviously in the minority, but I just never liked AC/DC. There is like 5 shots in the game total. 5. All of the modes feel the same. I'm more of a mode/story guy and less of a points guy. AC/DC is all about points. It's why I'm not much a fan of GOT either. MET fits me better. Total no brainer for me.

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

I'm obviously in the minority, but I just never liked AC/DC. There is like 5 shots in the game total. 5. All of the modes feel the same. I'm more of a mode/story guy and less of a points guy. AC/DC is all about points. It's why I'm not much a fan of GOT either. MET fits me better. Total no brainer for me.

I find myself liking mode based games as well but your wrong about GOT. It has modes galore, battle the dragons, battle houses to get to HOTK and IT, WIC modes, so many different ways to play that game.

#29 1 year ago

I have a Metallica, and I've played my buddies ACDC Luci several times (maybe 50)....clearly the Metallica is a much faster game, and in my opinion a lot more enjoyable to play day in and day out. ACDC is awesome (especially the music), but the game play is much slower, and the "fun" factor isn't even close (IMHO). That being said its hard to go wrong with either title.

#30 1 year ago

Never played Metallica but if it plays faster than my ACDC pro vault I might not be able to see the ball.

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

I have a Metallica, and I've played my buddies ACDC Luci several times (maybe 50)....clearly the Metallica is a much faster game, and in my opinion a lot more enjoyable to play day in and day out. ACDC is awesome (especially the music), but the game play is much slower, and the "fun" factor isn't even close (IMHO). That being said its hard to go wrong with either title.

Metallica is not faster then ACDC unless you mean bricked shots cause everything is tighter. The flow and speed of gameplay is much better on ACDC. It gets played 5 to 1 when friends come over to play pinball.

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from smassa:

Metallica is not faster then ACDC unless you mean bricked shots cause everything is tighter. The flow and speed of gameplay is much better on ACDC. It gets played 5 to 1 when friends come over to play pinball.

The slings on my Luci seem about 50% stronger than they are on my MET. They kick the ball way faster! On the flipside, my IMVE has relatively weak slings.

Rob

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

Cool if you don't like the game. But there is way more than 5 shots.

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

If you can wait a couple of months I would wait to see what the reskin is on ACDC then decide.

This is a clever suggestion , nobody knows how it will be the new ACDC vault edition, people speak about the current model, but I didn´t see any picture yet, and maybe you will receive a surprise ......

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from smassa:

Yea it is, and its not even close....there's a reason why most rate the Metallica higher than ACDC. If it was just for the music I would pick ACDC 10X over Metallica, but for pure fun...its Metallica hands down...the lower play field is awful on ACDC

#36 1 year ago

OP, if you like modern stern games you should own both. Probably sterns best 2 games ever by a pretty big margin in my opinion. I own both and like them both for different reasons.

Quoted from PtownPin:

Yea it is, and its not even close....there's a reason why most rate the Metallica higher than ACDC. If it was just for the music I would pick ACDC 10X over Metallica, but for pure fun...its Metallica hands down...the lower play field is awful on ACDC

The ratings are essentially identical for both games. So most people disagree with you, it is in fact very very close.

#37 1 year ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

OP, if you like modern stern games you should own both. Probably sterns best 2 games ever by a pretty big margin in my opinion. I own both and like them both for different reasons.

The ratings are essentially identical for both games. So most people disagree with you, it is in fact very very close.

To me, TWD is the best Stern game ever by a significant margin. It took the best parts of ACDC and Metallica and combined them and perfected them. The software is essentially perfect, whereas ACDC and Metallica have flaws. TWD has great modes, risk reward, doesn't require wood chopping, has tons of mini wizard modes, etc... Still, both ACDC and Met are fantastic games though. I'd give the overall nod to ACDC. It just find myself enjoying myself more when I'm playing it and I like the little nuances in the code (Album and tour jackpot) and the strategies behind song selection and building up song jackpot. Gameplay is also a bit smoother overall.

What I think could improve on each game:

ACDC: It could really use a mini-wizard mode to incentivize going for Encore. I rarely ever try for it because the journey is just too long and difficult. Maybe if they had a mini-wizard mode for completing 6 songs (similar to HOTK in GOT) I would play it more for mode completion instead of for points (and building jackpots). I also think the lower playfield should be integrated better.-maybe make it more lucrative or have a special mode where it is active at the same time as the main playfield. There are also a few songs that I rarely play (FTATR, LTBR, RNRT, HAABPTB). One more round of song balancing and perhaps making these songs more valuable would go a long way in making the game better.

Metallica: I love the CIU modes but I feel the game can feel like chopping wood when you are in standard ball play. Since the game lacks traditional modes this is quite often. On the Premium the Coffin/hammer lock still feels kind of random and not consistent. Snake jaw on Premium is also frustrating to hit as I seem to get lots of roll-outs. on the Pro the orbits feel naked without the spinners. I like the game a lot but it has never given me that "have to buy it" feeling that TWD and ACDC did for me.

Consensus is split on this site so it's really comes down to personal preference.

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

I think if most disagreed than ACDC would be ranked higher, yet its NOT....pretty simple math...

#39 1 year ago

I still don't get the "chopping wood" reference people keep making about Metallica", I feel like you could say that about any game, love my MET

#40 1 year ago

"Chopping wood" is the most overused phrase in pinball. All pins can be described that way.

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from nighttaco:

I still don't get the "chopping wood" reference people keep making about Metallica", I feel like you could say that about any game, love my MET

The difference between Metallica and most other pins is that the modes are much more difficult to start and infrequent and take a lot of work to get them qualified (ala chopping wood). On a typical Met game how many actual modes do you start? maybe 1 CIU and maybe something like AJFA? If you're in a funk you may not see any modes at all. Most of your time is spent trying to set something up whether it be a multi-ball or mode. To contrast this look at a game like TWD. On that game you just need to clear the drops twice to qualify a mode vs. all the stuff you need to do to light CIU.

#42 1 year ago

I don't find the modes that difficult to start, and there are a ton of modes, depends what you want to focus on...

#43 1 year ago
    Quoted from nighttaco:

I don't find the modes that difficult to start, and there are a ton of modes, depends what you want to focus on...

I wouldn't say that there are a ton of modes:

Seek and Destroy - Not that frequent
    Blackened - Not that frequent
    And Justice For All - pretty frequent
    The 4 crank it up modes - Not something you start every game but if you start 1 or 2 that means you have a pretty good game going.

Sure there are some hurry-ups and Fuel double scoring but those I consider add-ons to coincide with the bigger modes or multi-balls.

#44 1 year ago

ACDC Premium VE will no doubt be a cool game, but I wouldn't currently give up my MET Premium for one.

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

lol using pinside rankings as the measuring stick is quite amusing.

#46 1 year ago

its just data/information....happy your amused

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

I wouldn't say that there are a ton of modes:
    Seek and Destroy - Not that frequent
    Blackened - Not that frequent
    And Justice For All - pretty frequent
    The 4 crank it up modes - Not something you start every game but if you start 1 or 2 that means you have a pretty good game going.
    Sure there are some hurry-ups and Fuel double scoring but those I consider add-ons to coincide with the bigger modes or multi-balls.

Just dismissing Fuel, Hurry-ups - not even mentioning the 5 different multiballs available seems a pretty poor argument.

Let's just say that TWD, MET & ACDC are all great games which follow a different path during gameplay.

I find AcDc a bit linear, start song, hit 8 shots, start new song etc. until all 12 are completed and start Encore. That's not to say that there's not other stuff going on, but realistically you've got playfield multiplyer or multiball.

TWD You can play modes at the same time as multiball and walker kills and crossbow and shot multiplyer

MET the main wizard modes are harder to get to, but even if you completely ignore them there's plenty going on, go for Seek and Destroy, Justice for All, each of the multiballs, Fuel, playfield multiplyer, Blackened, improve the reward from mystery award.

They all appeal to different people in different ways - that's just the way it is. Personally, having owned all 3 my favourite by far is Met.
    I had AcDc first and thought it was the best game ever, then Met over took (it in my opinion) I then had TWD but still preferred Met.

Whichever game you end up with you'll be getting a good game, whether it's the one that appeals to you the most - only you can make that decision

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

I think if most disagreed than ACDC would be ranked higher, yet its NOT....pretty simple math...

Your exact words are it's not even close. The 2 games are essentially rated the exact same. Both games are highly regarded and most players are going to like both of them.

#49 1 year ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

its just data/information....happy your amused

It's actually not just data/information. It gets actively and aggressively manipulated all the time. That's why he found your statement amusing.

#50 1 year ago

Funny....information is information...do your own due diligence on whether or not the information is valid or not....data/ratings/reviews are clearly manipulated all the time. That being said its not always the case....both clearly don't understand....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 123.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    € 197.00
    Displays
    PINBALLSP
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 149.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 19.99
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 30.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 126.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 30.00
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside