Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you think Stern should have a buy in feature button on their machines?”

• Yes I think it will help increase earnings for operators and will help with progression on a difficult game 15 votes
      29%
    • No, I do not think it will help increase earnings for operators and it needs to stay with a standard three ball 31 votes
      61%
    • Mabye, some of Stern's titles are difficult and it would be a nice feature I would consider 5 votes
      10%

(51 votes)

#1 6 years ago

Do you ever have a game where you are so close to completing a mode or objective and then-Drain! If I only had one more ball!

Would you like Stern to bring back the buy in feature button on their new machines to add a ball for a game?

I think it would help operators increase earnings and it is a nice feature to have on a difficult game set to three ball. Sometimes you just need one more chance or ball to accomplish a goal.

What are your thoughts? Do you think bringing back the buy in feature button on modern machines is a good idea or not?

#2 6 years ago

Really curious what operators think. Will it increase earnings? I think of STTNG and how much I used the buy in button back in the day on location. I would dump a ton in that machine trying to get to Final Frontier. I did not care how much money I was spending, it was more about the thrill of progression. The operators probably loved me.

#3 6 years ago

Not an operator... I just play (badly). I really do not care for buy-in options on any game.

1) if you get a high score you will always have an * next to it. Maybe not on the marquee but mentally YOU know.
    2) the delay caused by the buy-in option is just annoying if I'm never going to choose the option. And if there's some button sequence to bypass the wait, I'd end up pushing the wrong button and continuing the game or agree to gift all my credits to a super-mode.

When I play route games (and I do pretty regularly) I have a roll of quarters and that's it... when the roll is gone, it's gone. So, getting more money out of me is not going to happen. As for trying to spin this to the players advantage ...

My 2¢.
    faz

#4 6 years ago

I've never used the buy in option on a game, I feel like I need to accomplish the goal under the standard parameters of the settings or it doesnt count.

I'd rather use my quarters to start a new game then waste them for a ball on a game that the score (to me) is rendered invalid. I do approve of games that have this feature having a separate high scores board for buy in games, a few games do not so you can get the Grand Champ by buying in, I think that is ridiculous.

If it makes ops more money, go for it. If they did institute it I would hope for separate high score boards tho

#5 6 years ago

I seem to recall that these didn't work well for operators as people would buy there way to a wizard mode then stop playing. I have routed games with buy a ball feature and always turned it off.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

If it makes ops more money, go for it.

I am wondering if it will make ops more money or not? Would you play less games if you had an option to buy in? For me the high score on location is not as important as trying to get to wizard mode. Some games like Ghostbusters are near impossible to progress on three ball. Many people get frustrated and walk away after a cheap drain on ball three. I do think if Stern included the hardware from factory for the hole below the start button with either a Buy In Button, Tournament Button, or Adjustable Volume/Headphone jack it would add value for operators and homeowners. If an operator or home owner wants the feature they can simply add the enclosed buttons that interchange. Or it can be left blank. For those concerned about high scores and consider it cheating, I get that as well. I think it comes down to the title and how difficult it is. The more difficult titles I can see using this feature to help, especially with novice players.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

I am wondering if it will make ops more money or not? Would you play less games if you had an option to buy in? For me the high score on location is not as important as trying to get to wizard mode. Some games like Ghostbusters are near impossible to progress on three ball. Many people get frustrated and walk away after a cheap drain on ball three. I do think if Stern included the hardware for the hole below the start button for either a Buy In Button, Tournament Button, or Adjustable Volume/Headphone jack. If an operator or home owner wants the feature they can simply add the enclosed buttons that interchange. Or it can be left blank, with a blank button. For those concerned about high scores and consider it cheating, I get that as well. I think it comes down to the title and how difficult it is. The more difficult titles I can see using this feature to help, especially with novice players.

The first time I heard of it/saw it I thought it was a cheap tactic to try and squeeze out another quarter, seemed greedy. I wonder what a random non-pinhead person thinks of it. There is a place in Wyoming that has Replays set to give an extra ball instead, I think that is way stupid and I'd much rather have a 3 ball game than 1 more ball for a replay.

Regarding the tournament button hole, I bought the tournament button and installed it on my Star Trek just so it didnt have the plug there haha. If they used that spot for more useful things that would be cool.

EDIT: if anyone wants to get further in their game at home just set it up to 5 ball with extra balls turned on to max. Its essentially the same thing as buying in 2 more balls without the coding being there. Obviously this doesnt pertain to the route part of the question.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from clg:

I seem to recall that these didn't work well for operators as people would buy there way to a wizard mode then stop playing. I have routed games with buy a ball feature and always turned it off.

I have thought aboot this question a lot actually and your response is pretty much what I've been told as well

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Regarding the tournament button hole, I bought the tournament button and installed it on my Star Trek

This is an added feature benefit that in my opinion would cost Stern very little, like dimes. I believe the benefits of including them from factory would be well received from the majority of people.

#10 6 years ago

no but a safe cracker type option would be cool, get to a certain point in the game and you are given a token. Then insert the token to start at that point would be cool to play at your leisure eg finish all three ladders in ghostbusters and the coin gives you 1 x chance to play 3 balls at the wizard mode.

#11 6 years ago

The buy-ins were generally 1/2 the game price right? If I was an OP I'd probably rather have them buy another full game. If a player is excited enough to reach into their pocket to continue playing, they'd probably pay for a whole game; unless you got them down to the change left in their pocket. If I had the option I don't think I would enable it.

#12 6 years ago

I never use the buy in feature on my theater of magic. But others have.

If I was an operator I would want to compare sales. With and without.

It would seem like on location, it would be a good thing.

I would like it.

As an operator.

As a player I don't care, or like it. I pass and go for another full game, personally.

Options are good.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

This is an added feature benefit that in my opinion would cost Stern very little

Question answered!

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

If I was an operator I would want to compare sales. With and without.
    It would seem like on location, it would be a good thing.

Yes I would like to see some data as well. I have to admit I am surprised by the poll results, I thought more people would be keen on the idea.

Are there any operators that can chime in on games with 'Buy In' option, do they earn more or less? Has anyone made a comparison?

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I have thought aboot this question a lot actually and your response is pretty much what I've been told as well

Really? That is surprising. I know my friends and I would use it on route back in the day. I would use it primarily when I was close to replay, then I would buy in and essentially get to play another ball (maybe more) for free or when I had played a long time and didn't want to play full games anymore I would just buy in to use that last credit. I'm sure I used it to get to a wizard mode before, but that never made me not want to try to get back there again on a 3 ball game. Buying in can be limited to 1-3 games, so if people really are buying their way to a wizard mode to stop playing, just limit it to one buy in. One ball really isn't going to be the difference maker to a casual person to see a wizard mode and pinball fans will keep playing anyway. If I was an operator I would want it available and turned on. I would always want the potential for a customer to pay full price for a single ball. That said, I am and was always a fan of separate high score boards for normal and buy in scores too.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from clg:

That's interesting info. I would have thought it would earn more money, never considered the opposite effect.

#17 6 years ago

As a player and collector I have no interest in this feature. As previously mentioned I don't like the delay and the potential to accidentally waste credits. It seems like the OP wants it and there are probably others that do as well. Maybe it could be like ticket dispensers - a button could be added by the operator and features turned on in the software for those that want it. It just don't want it to be standard like it was on some of the 90s BW games.

#18 6 years ago

Like I said that's what I have been told, seems strange to me too.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buy-in-feature-for-new-stern-machines-pollyesno and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.