6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“If you own a pin with a dedicated "Buy Extra Ball" button, do set up the game to allow it?”

• Yes, and the pin is in my home 14 votes
      31%
    • No, and the pin is in my home 30 votes
      67%
    • Yes, and I am operating the pin on location 1 vote
      2%
    • No, and I am operating the pin on location 0 votes

(45 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 6 years ago

If you own a pin with a dedicated "Buy Extra Ball" button, do you set up the game to allow it?

#2 6 years ago

No, I disable them.

#3 6 years ago

Never seen the point in them. Too much like cheating in a home set up..... always viewed it just as a way for ops to extract more money (which lets face it is the whole point of the machines in the first place)

#5 6 years ago

I actually had a dream about this last night! lol. I dont own any pins that have the option but in my dream i bought an NIB that had it; i did not like the option in my dream, but all my guests that were playing it loved it.

#6 6 years ago

It might be cool if say you could have the game on free play, but the buy-extra-ball feature still required money. I might enable it if it could be set up that way.

#7 6 years ago

Always disable them in your home games. Buy-in can ruin a game like Demolition Man. They don't just give you another ball, they tend to also give away the farm. The light everything up and lock everything for the next multiball. I can understand that in an arcade. You just got so close to the replay level or some huge objective in the game and want to finish it, but at home it can really mess you up. You start acting like you are a good player because you get this massive score off the buy-in-ball. It is so much better to earn it by becoming a better player. They are easy to disable so the game stops asking about it.

#8 6 years ago

Although I miss Troi saying "I am sensing you want to continue" I disabled the feature because it would ruin the highscore chart.

#9 6 years ago

Disabled on my Tom. But I see the benefit if on route so I have no problem with it.

#10 6 years ago

Disabled it on my Flintstones, get the point of it. On route, the extra ball costs you another buck. For routed pins it means extra money. At home everyone just plays the 3 balls and the extra balls they earned.

#11 6 years ago

I play my games at home the same way I did in the arcades.

If I am having a great game, close to wizard or replay, I will buy in.

Certain games were designed with this feature as they have tough to reach wizard modes (TFTC, WWF, Roadshow...)
    Good luck reaching Crypt Jam without a buy in or crossing coast to coast with Red and Ted.

Other games are just cash grab buy ins (Demo Man, Judge Dredd...)

When I had my DM, I disabled the buy in because the game was just too damn easy (hence why I sold it).

On TFTC and WWF the buy-in are a welcome addition.

#12 6 years ago

Yes. One credit ( not one coin ) to continue.

LTG : )

#13 6 years ago

Yes I have one on my Shadow, set Free Play and it works. I use it When I have a killer game going.

#14 6 years ago

Nothing like being reminded that the high score to date was a buy-in.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Don't some games track both ? Buy ins or not.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'm no PAPA level player so I don't stress over it.

#17 6 years ago

why not just hit both flipper buttons and cancel it?

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

It might be cool if say you could have the game on free play, but the buy-extra-ball feature still required money. I might enable it if it could be set up that way.

this would be pretty cool actually.

#19 6 years ago

My son has the highest score on JM using the buy-in button. I have the second highest score (no buy-in used). We are both happy.

I use the buy-in occasionally on JM when I think I am very close to Powerdown. Usually it doesn't help me get there but it's so worth it when it does.

Heck, I would consider installing a mod to allow remote control of Midnight Madness. Now that would be cool to freak out guests.

#20 6 years ago

Buy in is only good if there are seperate high score lists for buy in or no buy in...

#21 6 years ago

Option Disabled.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mateui:

Although I miss Troi saying "I am sensing you want to continue" I disabled the feature because it would ruin the highscore chart.

You could just pull the wire from the button instead.

#23 6 years ago

My Dredd is the only game I have with a buy extra ball feature, and it's in my home. I've got it turned off, as I feel that having it on ends up making the gameplay "broken."

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

You could just pull the wire from the button instead.

If it never gets pushed it comes up in error.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mateui:

Is that STTNG you're talking about? Doesn't it have a seperate high score list if you bought in anyhow??

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from movingpictures:

I play my games at home the same way I did in the arcades.
    If I am having a great game, close to wizard or replay, I will buy in.
    Certain games were designed with this feature as they have tough to reach wizard modes (TFTC, WWF, roadshow...)
    Good luck reaching Crypt Jam without a buy in or crossing coast to coast with Red and Ted.
    Other games are just cash grab buy ins (Demo Man, Judge Dredd...)
    When I had my DM, I disabled the buy in because the game was just too damn easy (hence why I sold it).
    On TFTC and WWF the buy-in are a welcome addition.

I'm just an average player. But I've reached crypt jam several times on stock everything three ball. I've also reached it on my first ball a couple times. It's pretty easy. Just shoot left spinner, it should hit the right spinner if you hit it well. Either way this lights the scoop. Hit the scoop to start your mode. Ignore everything and repeat above.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I'm just an average player. But I've reached crypt jam several times on stock everything three ball. I've also reached it on my first ball a couple times. It's pretty easy. Just shoot left spinner, it should hit the right spinner if you hit it well. Either way this lights the scoop. Hit the scoop to start your mode. Ignore everything and repeat above.

Shoot the right spinner actually..it loops around to left, so no matter what you will light the scoop again...I've got to it a few times already and I just got the game. There are a few tricks/shots that allow you to get the ball to the upper flipper for an easier shot at the scoop as well....

#28 6 years ago

Also on TFTC when it goes down the right inlane it also lights the scoop for a short time, so that's another easy mode start...

#29 6 years ago

I find it is the perfect way to make the game more fun for guests. Especially with JD where the EB gives you a multiball. I almost never use it myself, but it's nice to leave enabled to let friends play longer and have more fun.

#30 6 years ago

I've been considering it for my Dirty Harry. Wide outlanes + tight shots + steep ramps = one tough pin.

#31 6 years ago

I use it with my TZ. The game tracks buy in high scores separately so that's the saving grace that makes it work for me.

#32 6 years ago

I keep it active but rarely use it. Most games with it have seperate high scores, and it's good for friends to be able to use it.

Every single buy-in button on a machine I have seen active in an arcade setting. I have never seen a replay award an EB.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7.95
    € 27.00
    Cabinet - Other
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    € 8.10
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 19.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 269.00
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 100.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,500.00
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 218.00
    $ 17.50
    Hardware
    Pinball Haus
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 11.95
    $ 9.00
    Playfield - Other
    Hdmike mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside