(Topic ID: 322691)

Buy an older stern Lord of the Rings or Wait for a Newer One?

By Fsdre

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Fsdre
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

246ECF0D-B229-413F-A84E-3FE6AA0B4081 (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

Do you think it is worth waiting for a more modern new LOTR with LCD to be made by or buy an older one from stern? Any chances stern will revisit LOTR?

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from Fsdre:

Do you think it is worth waiting for a more modern new LOTR with LCD to be made by or buy an older one from stern? Any chances stern will revisit LOTR?

There is no chance. If you want one, buy one that actually exists.

If you want to wait for a fantasy that will never happen, well, that's an option too.

#3 1 year ago

I’d wait things out. An updated LOTR could be pretty sweet…

#4 1 year ago

Buy one. Then if a miracle happens sell that one to buy the new one.

#5 1 year ago

Don't put off for tomorrow what you could get done today.

#6 1 year ago

I don't see why they'd ever come back to the license. The machine that exists is also a very good pinball.

#7 1 year ago

I have had NIB since 2003. It still plays perfect and is so much fun. I'd get one now knowing you could sell it and get a newer one if they ever do a new run, which is very unlikely. It's too good a game to wait in vain. Plus, I suspect the cost of the used ones will only continue to creep higher.

#8 1 year ago

If what you want is the Tolkien/Middle-Earth world in a newer machine, the other option is The Hobbit from Jersey Jack, though opinions on that vary quite a bit.

1 week later
#9 1 year ago

Stern just posted a clip from LOTR on Facebook maybe they are prepping for a vault release!!!

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from Fsdre:

Stern just posted a clip from LOTR on Facebook maybe they are prepping for a vault release!!!

If they do...I'm in

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Fsdre:

Do you happen to have the link?

#12 1 year ago

Zero chance they would vault LOTR, it’s based on a older system and they are all-in on Spike 2 now. Porting to a new platform would be costly.

#13 1 year ago

Just go to Facebook.com/sternpinball
Looks like the "Hobbiton Edition." Also all LEDs and has inner art blades.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from MaxIsDead:

Zero chance they would vault LOTR, it’s based on a older system and they are all-in on Spike 2 now. Porting to a new platform would be costly.

um…

#15 1 year ago

Man I hope this is real and they IC this thing up too.
Is it a like a comic edition? I watched the video on my phone and it looks like the backglass is drawn this time and it is grainy but it looks like the playfield could be too. I may also really need to get a new cell phone because on second glance it looks like the old school stern logo up in the top righthand corner.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

Do you happen to have the link?

https://fb.watch/fYCdiGzqZh/

246ECF0D-B229-413F-A84E-3FE6AA0B4081 (resized).jpeg246ECF0D-B229-413F-A84E-3FE6AA0B4081 (resized).jpeg
#17 1 year ago

Huh….that’s kinda weird.
Maybe a Rings of Power?

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from kklank:

Huh….that’s kinda weird.
Maybe a Rings of Power?

Can’t be Rings of Power - Gollum is visible in the photo; same playfield. But they are definitely capitalizing on the show

#19 1 year ago

I don't understand this at all. Now that I think about this the only thing this could possibly do by posting this right now is hurt your sales for 007, even just teasing it with no intention of making one doesn't make sense. DMD is pretty shaky too though, so is this just showing someone's personal game and how good it looks?

#21 1 year ago

Wait for a newer one? You could be waiting for years and years for nothing. See a chance to buy one at a fair price jump on it but don't overpay for one.

#22 1 year ago

You want LOTR with a screen? Go find a Hobbit. All that is the same to me.

0.0% chance they’d announce a LOTR VE, or any other non-Bond title at all right now. Stern is very well aware of the Osborne Effect. They’re all in on Bond. Gary doesn’t say his favorite title is (just what happens to be) whatever is new and on the production line for chuckles. He’s pushing the latest and greatest. You don’t release something new until the current slows.

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from CoachBacca:

I don't understand this at all. Now that I think about this the only thing this could possibly do by posting this right now is hurt your sales for 007, even just teasing it with no intention of making one doesn't make sense. DMD is pretty shaky too though, so is this just showing someone's personal game and how good it looks?

Could be getting peoples thoughts elsewhere and giving them something else to talk about while they wait for 007 seeing as it’s going to be a little while.

#24 1 year ago

Stern vaults two games during a lull 7 years ago. They have a ridiculous backlog now. There is no chance.

#25 1 year ago

One of the only games I've walked away from on location in the middle of a game.

#26 1 year ago

What would be a fair price on an old LOTR?

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from Fsdre:

What would be a fair price on an old LOTR?

i paid 6500 for one that didn't have any mods and needed some tlc. for a rare "HUO" one or one cleaned up with lots of mods seems to approach 10k+.

#28 1 year ago

Pretty much every comment on the Facebook post was asking them to do a vault edition, maybe this was their way of checking on demand to see how much love the post got? I am down for a vault!!

#29 1 year ago

A vault dont make any sense at this moment, the hype is for the 007, this is a strange move if happens, or is announced, maybe for a stupid amount of money...

#30 1 year ago

Gomez once said (years ago) that every vault title people are asking for, will eventually be made. But I have to believe that has changed now, and I agree with this statement.

Quoted from ToddSonOfOdin:

Stern vaults two games during a lull 7 years ago. They have a ridiculous backlog now. There is no chance.

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Gomez once said (years ago) that every vault title people are asking for, will eventually be made. But I have to believe that has changed now, and I agree with this statement.

Yeah there is zero chance a lotr vault is happening. Stern has designed a great model where they produce machines with few mechanisms and what appears to be a very low BOM that are super fun to play and can't even keep up with demand. Why would they produce an old high BOM machine that would appeal to a very limited audience?
Watch what happened with TNA. A handful of fans wanted one and then didn't buy and cried because they wanted a machine for 7k vs 9k which is current market rate.

Never going to happen.

#32 1 year ago

I would’ve called his bluff and asked for a CSI.

Quoted from pinlink:

#33 1 year ago

They're just copying me (again). I upgraded LOTR to LEGENDARY Edition about a year ago. Added an LCD, upgraded the audio design, new rules, new mechanics... etc. It is pretty darn epic, but only for virtual pinball fans.

Here's a YouTube vid of the upgraded Balrog fight:

If you guys get a remake that's even half as good as my LEGENDARY Edition, then you'll be in for one hell of an adventure.

#34 1 year ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

They're just copying me (again). I upgraded LOTR to LEGENDARY Edition about a year ago. Added an LCD, upgraded the audio design, new rules, new mechanics... etc. It is pretty darn epic, but only for virtual pinball fans.
Here's a YouTube vid of the upgraded Balrog fight:

If you guys get a remake that's even half as good as my LEGENDARY Edition, then you'll be in for one hell of an adventure.

Looks cool - too bad virtual pinball plays like trash. It would be sweet if Stern actually produced a real table upgraded like that.

#35 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

But they are definitely capitalizing on the show

To what end? Highlighting a game that hasn't been for sale for 19 years?

#36 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

i paid 6500 for one that didn't have any mods and needed some tlc.

Find one of these for me please!

#37 1 year ago

Why would they bother vaulting anything right now when they can't fill orders from last year and they're still releasing new games?

#38 1 year ago

Why do people think they are getting a tron vault, I mean it gives us something to talk about. With all the feedback they got on their post it may be something they would consider, not today but something maybe in a couple years.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Narragansett, RI
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Birdsboro, PA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

€ 7.50
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Lenticular Designs

Machine - For Sale
Midlothian, VA
$ 39.50
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.