(Topic ID: 100181)

In Stock! Custom Buttons & Housings (Early Bally, Gottlieb, Stern, Chicago Coin)

By Zitt

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 151 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 78 days ago by Zitt
  • Topic is favorited by 27 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C-904_GITD_Blue (resized).jpg
C-905_GITD_Blue (resized).jpg
C905_ColorsAll696x640 (resized).jpg
C904_ColorsAll640x640 (resized).jpg
DSC_0150 (resized).JPG
20150913_193225.jpg
IMAG0376.jpg
IMAG0377.jpg
IMG_20150826_124607.png
C904_colors2_m.jpg
C905_colors2_m.jpg
19058205343_e43aabec411.jpg
1.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
18854027074_c7e9b050c6_n1.jpg

There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 9 years ago

Nice work here! Thanks for taking this project on. I've been waiting for these for some time now. Am I looking at this right though, in that the only translucent ones on the site at present are the white and off-white colored ones?

#52 9 years ago

Shape ways only offers clear and frosted.
Everything else is opaque I think.

#53 9 years ago

Yes, frosted I meant, sorry. Might be interested in Blue in frosted if it was available.

#54 9 years ago

Here's some pictures I took of the housing in polished metallic plastic and frosted detail:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/52968060@N00/15175923692/sizes/o/
15175923692_b4a8a8cbe8[1].jpg15175923692_b4a8a8cbe8[1].jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/52968060@N00/14989719388/sizes/o/
14989719388_c164f8fb89[1].jpg14989719388_c164f8fb89[1].jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/52968060@N00/14989556119/sizes/o/
15153272536_52162fae1b[1].jpg15153272536_52162fae1b[1].jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/52968060@N00/14989719388/sizes/o/
14989556119_883250f596[1].jpg14989556119_883250f596[1].jpg

both are available in a variety of colors/materials at Shapeways:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/Pinball-Mods

3 weeks later
#55 9 years ago

All... Just got word that Shapeways is "updating" the pricing structures for the materials used in the bulk of the buttons available for these buttons / housing. The new pricing may go up or down on or about oct 7, noon EST.

I'll know more when I have a chance to resolve some of my other projects.

#56 9 years ago

Is another 3D printing service an option?

This seemed to look like a similar alternative: sculpteo.com

#57 9 years ago

I'll look into that service.

BTW:
My buttons came back with a "baby powder" feel to them at least one other person reported similar issues. The nature of the beast seems to be the "nylon" printer material Shapeways seems to use. Post processing the button didn't seem to yield much improvement. I tried sanding; I tried tossing them in a tumbler, the nylon is very resistant to much post processing.
I don't have an issue with the button to be honest - and Long term; I'm probably going to end up putting a coat of liquor on it after I'm done modding the button for ST:MU.

I only stated this so you guys don't get a product your not expecting. If your looking for a fully smooth as glass plastic feel; the shapeways buttons aren't for you.

2 months later
#58 9 years ago

Nice work Zitt.
I'd love to get my hands on some translucent blue buttons if they ever get made.

5 months later
#59 8 years ago

All - I'll have an announcement about continuation of this project in the coming weeks.
Waiting on Samples to arrive. I think many of you will be pleased with the outcome.

#60 8 years ago

Over the past several months; I've been working with a injection molding company to have these buttons & Housings made in "modder friendly" translucent colors. These are based upon the original C905/C904 buttons and holders above; but have been made injection mold friendly to minimize sink defects. What this means is the Critical parameters are still the same; but some wall thicknesses have been grown to ensure a quality product.

The Button face was thickened to approx. 3mm - Why? Because I wanted the button face to be able to take a laser etching for those that want to etch graphics into the face (like I did on my Original Bally StarTrek Restoration ). This material is CO2 Laser friendly - made out of PMMA (commonly known as Acrylic).

I'm also working on a Radiant Button RGB board to allow you to further "dial your mod" to the color desire. The idea is you can choose an approx. lense button/color then "shift it" with the RGB board if desired.

Today I received some color samples for first batch of 10 colors I intend to run. 3 of the colors; Blue, Green, and Purple were "off" and weren't really a "pinball" color so the manufacturer is going to need to tweak the color recipes a bit. The remaining are pictured below and should represent "production" colors. Keep in mind your monitor and my camera's color balance will throw the colors off a bit from the actual product you receive so use these as an approximation of what will be available.

Yellow:
YellowYellow

#64 8 years ago

nice work Zitt, put me on the list for a clear set with the radial colour please

#65 8 years ago

The teal is really nice. I like it.

#66 8 years ago

New Custom colors not typical to pinball:
Clear:
ClearClear

#67 8 years ago

Teal might be great on Fathom or SBM

#69 8 years ago

Smokey-Blue:
Smoke-BlueSmoke-Blue

Sorry for all the single picture posts... for some reason; Pinside is only allowing me to post one picture per post - and only if I completely close my browser.

As I stated; I'm still working with my contract manufacturer to get the Blue, Green, and Purple colors dialed in. I'll post pictures here when I can share them.

If there is an overwhelming desire for a color not mentioned above; please feel free to "request it". If there is enough demand; I'll consider adding it as a color.

#70 8 years ago

Those are really sharp, not that I would expect anything less from you. Everything I've seen of yours is top notch...

#71 8 years ago

Those teal on a Mystic would be nice.

#72 8 years ago

very nice, clear and teal for me

#73 8 years ago

Id be in for 6 sets of clear.

#74 8 years ago

Definitely a demand, dare I say make a lot and sell them to PBL and or some of the other top suppliers?

#75 8 years ago

I think I could find a use for the teal or purple.

#76 8 years ago

Glad to hear the interest; still trying to line up a physical purple sample so I can send it to the manufacturer for color matching.

Here's a color I initially rejected; it's basically transparent black:
I'm dismissed it as no one would be interested; but maybe there is someone interested? Maybe on Centaur?
Black - Interest?Black - Interest?

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Glad to hear the interest; still trying to line up a physical purple sample so I can send it to the manufacturer for color matching.
Here's a color I initially rejected; it's basically transparent black:
I'm dismissed it as no one would be interested; but maybe there is someone interested? Maybe on Centaur?
Black - Interest?

I think the black button looks great in a vacuum!
As for Centaur -- there's a 99% Black and White pin that uses RED as an accent in a few places. Those buttons look great on there in red...

-mof

#78 8 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

still trying to line up a physical purple sample so I can send it to the manufacturer for color matching.

Most "purple" pinball plastics are pretty crappy lately.

The purplest thing I've seen lately are the flasher domes.

3 weeks later
#79 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Most "purple" pinball plastics are pretty crappy lately.
The purplest thing I've seen lately are the flasher domes.

I got some pictures of the corrected colors... the new colors look closer to what I was expecting:
1.jpg1.jpg
Vid - does this purple look in line with what you'd expect?

3.jpg3.jpg
2.jpg2.jpg

I hope to get the samples in no more than a week; then assuming they look good - production will start.

#80 8 years ago

Blue looks great!

Green looks dynamite! - usually green is some "teal" color.

Purple looks plum.

#81 8 years ago

They look very translucent to me. Wondering how they will look unlit (not something I do...)
Colors look decent.
-mof

#82 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Purple looks plum.

Is that a bad thing? Like I said; I have no purple pinball parts here... so I'm guessing as to the ideal color.
I thought the original sample I got was TOO pink... didn't look very purple to me.

This was the original:
19058205343_e43aabec41[1].jpg19058205343_e43aabec41[1].jpg
so I had them re-iterate to the more royal purple color. I'll take better pictures when I get the samples here at the house next week.

They look very translucent to me. Wondering how they will look unlit (not something I do...)
Colors look decent.

I'm not focusing on any opaque colors; every one of these is intended to be backlit in some way. I wouldn't think many would be interested in opaque buttons at this point. Am I mis understanding your point?

#83 8 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I'm not focusing on any opaque colors; every one of these is intended to be backlit in some way

I'm thinking clear, backlit with a color LED. Not really concerned about how it looks when not lit.

Cool project!

#84 8 years ago

My interest would be in opaque buttons.
Mof

#85 8 years ago

Id be in for clear yellow and blue

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

My interest would be in opaque buttons.

Curious, which colors you'd like to see in opaque?
If the Translucents sell well; maybe I can look into getting some opaques made?

#87 8 years ago

Got the color matched samples in for Green, Blue, and Purple:
C905 Green, Blue & PurpleC905 Green, Blue & Purple
C904 Green, Blue & PurpleC904 Green, Blue & Purple

I'm very happy with these colors so I'm looking to start production in the next few days.

#88 8 years ago

Those look sweet.

1 week later
#89 8 years ago

Just got word that the production units shipped today... With luck I'll have them by the weekend.

Edit: UPS tracking update puts it at mid next week.

#90 8 years ago

I'm pleased to announce that these translucent housing and buttons are in stock at Pinball-Mods.com. I'm pretty excited to be offering these ... so for opening weekend; I'm putting them on special at 10% of list price.

C904 Housings for $1.78 each.
C905 Buttons for $1.87 each.

After Sunday; they go up to their normal price of $1.98 / 2.08 respectively each.

#91 8 years ago

Nice work

#92 8 years ago

This is really cool! Great to read the evolution of this!

#93 8 years ago

Grant... the post office has your package going to Canada.

#94 8 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Grant... the post office has your package going to Canada.

Awesome sauce. Got a bunch of buttons and want to see the results with different LED's behind them.

#96 8 years ago

One of my customers just ordered a bunch of these, so hopefully I can get some hands on with them.

#97 8 years ago

I posted a video to Youtube to highlight that you do not have to buy the same color housing as button. In this video; I paired a Amber and Orange Button with a Black Housing - then put the Bally Flipper Mod behind the two of them. I think it makes for a unique look. Time to put on those creative hats my fellow Pinheads!

#98 8 years ago

Eric, Geoff, and Gabriel - The postoffice has your Buttons / Housings. Thanks!

#99 8 years ago

Sweet, thanks Zitt! I will upload some pics when I get them installed. I liked the idea of mixing colors, so I ordered a couple extra housings to try out. More black for Centaur!

#100 8 years ago
Quoted from gabegabegabe:

Sweet, thanks Zitt! I will upload some pics when I get them installed. I liked the idea of mixing colors, so I ordered a couple extra housings to try out. More black for Centaur!

LOL. I was wondering what concoction you were dreaming up. I'm sure we'd all like to see the result; I know I will.

I'm going to try and get some pictures with a proto Radiant Button set to white on ST:MU just to give you guys some ideas of the lit by LED look.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/button-patentcopyright-owner/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.