(Topic ID: 262712)

Upset and stupid? Or making a valid statement? on purchase.

By Porkfritter

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by jwilson
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    MAD.gif
    There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

Hi friends! I always like to double check myself, well, just because.... I don't like to be a turd. . . and I know I can be. .

I was going to buy a current Stern pinball machine from someone I play with at league, and although we don't always agree on everything and are often competitors, I always felt there was a pretty high level of mutual respect. I've bought about 10 pins in the past with no issues from pinsiders/friends. I asked for a couple weeks to get the money arranged and transferred so I could paypal the entire total, both our preferred payment method. When I got to transfer the money the price he asked was not what we agreed upon and I explained that I didn't want it if the agreed upon price was not still valid and that there must have been a misunderstanding.

Before given the opportunity to discuss it, I was pretty much told that he had always thought I'd be a schmuck and back out. . . it wasn't until I showed him where we had chatted about it on Facebook that he agreed he had offered it to me at a discounted price, but was still pretty curt about the whole situation and was sure as hell not taking back the thoughts about my schmukiness. . . but he'd honor that price now

at this point I am like, I don't even want HIS game. . even if it is a decent deal. . do people really forget they offered a discount? did he have to insinuate that he thought I was always a schmuck and would just back out anyways?

I figure at this point what is an extra few $$ to just get a game with better JUJU surrounding it from someone else. . . ? ? ? when a simple, sorry, it was a misunderstanding would have squashed it all rather than doubling down on me being a schmuck. . and saying he guessed he'd honor the price?

i guess I am a schmuck, but my money spends. . . LoL am I wrong for saying thanks, but unnecessary salvos fired, no thanks?

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from Porkfritter:

Before given the opportunity to discuss it, I was pretty much told that he had always thought I'd be a schmuck and back out. . .

I like the cut of this guys jib

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I like the cut of this guys jib

No question of how I am thought of. . .

#4 4 years ago

Only schmuks use the term “butthurt”

#5 4 years ago

Just take the game at the good price who cares what he or any where here thinks. If it’s a good deal take it and enjoy it.

#6 4 years ago

Probably time to update your Pinside avatar.
    MAD.gifMAD.gif

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

LOL.... I know, that wasn't really appropriate....

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Probably time to update your Pinside avatar.
    [quoted image]

Owning it!

#9 4 years ago

The guy’s a douche, just move on. Nothing good will come of it

#10 4 years ago

Find another.

Where do you play in league in DeMotte? I’m from Chesterton, FYI

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The guy’s a douche, just move on. Nothing good will come of it

I would have to say this is my thought as well.

#12 4 years ago

I wouldn't buy it.

#13 4 years ago

Too much drama. Buy it or dont. Juju? Really?!?

#14 4 years ago

meh.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from Porkfritter:

Hi friends! I always like to double check myself, well, just because.... I don't like to be a turd. . . and I know I can be. .
    I was going to buy a current Stern pinball machine from someone I play with at league, and although we don't always agree on everything and are often competitors, I always felt there was a pretty high level of mutual respect. I've bought about 10 pins in the past with no issues from pinsiders/friends. I asked for a couple weeks to get the money arranged and transferred so I could paypal the entire total, both our preferred payment method. When I got to transfer the money the price he asked was not what we agreed upon and I explained that I didn't want it if the agreed upon price was not still valid and that there must have been a misunderstanding.
    Before given the opportunity to discuss it, I was pretty much told that he had always thought I'd be a schmuck and back out. . . it wasn't until I showed him where we had chatted about it on Facebook that he agreed he had offered it to me at a discounted price, but was still pretty curt about the whole situation and was sure as hell not taking back the thoughts about my schmukiness. . . but he'd honor that price now
    at this point I am like, I don't even want HIS game. . even if it is a decent deal. . do people really forget they offered a discount? did he have to insinuate that he thought I was always a schmuck and would just back out anyways?
    I figure at this point what is an extra few $$ to just get a game with better JUJU surrounding it from someone else. . . ? ? ? when a simple, sorry, it was a misunderstanding would have squashed it all rather than doubling down on me being a schmuck. . and saying he guessed he'd honor the price?
    i guess I am a schmuck, but my money spends. . . LoL am I wrong for saying thanks, but unnecessary salvos fired, no thanks?

I bet this story is even more interesting in English!

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Porkfritter:

I was pretty much told that he had always thought I'd be a schmuck and back out. . . it wasn't until I showed him where we had chatted about it on Facebook that he agreed he had offered it to me at a discounted price

Sheesh, he makes an unwarranted, rude and incorrect comment, and then accepts his own error with no apology, unable to take responsibility.

Of course there are two sides to every story, but if you really want the game and he's reluctantly honoring the agreed price, buy it.

It'll bug him more that he sold it to someone he dislikes for less than he thinks he could get. You get the game, and he is unhappy. A double victory payback.

Of course, he's the one who will probably back out now.

#17 4 years ago

Just walk away. If u buy it and theres undisclosed issues, you KNO what he’ll say. No thanks.

#18 4 years ago

I would have responded with “go fuck yourself” and copied and pasted where he agreed to the price and finished off with “shove the game up your ass”.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

I would have responded with “go fuck yourself” and copied and pasted where he agreed to the price and finished off with “shove the game up your ass”.

It would make it a little tense on league nights but hey, that's the biz!

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Honestly I wouldn’t care.
    It is what it is and if a dude can’t remeber what he agreed to and throws that on you in an insulting way, that’s on him.

#21 4 years ago

Huh. I haven’t been called a schmuck since junior high; and that was a friend. Of course nobody calls a burly mechanic with a breaker bar in hand a schmuck and survives the same way. Buuut...that’s just me.

I’d just back hand him and wait for the tears. Or compliment his cannon balls for saying it to your face. That takes guts.

#22 4 years ago

only you can make the decision and you'd then have to live with it.
    If it was me. I would be offended that he thought that I was a tire kicker and then also trying to lowball him when we already agreed upon a price.

And for me. I try not to forget something I promise someone. Things can slip peoples minds.
    But, what is worrisome to me at least. Is how he handled it when he was reminded and shown proof.

I think even if he still agreed to the original terms and sold you the game for the discounted price, you'd have to deal with him being angry or bitter about it.
    This will poison the well for league night, and who knows how many fellow leaguers will be off put by this. Some might even side with him and view you in the negative light...

Now, if none of this matters, and if no one else's opinion of you matters to yourself. Then I say good for you. And take the discounted pin. But, I would probably walk away. If it was me. Or I'd ask him. Okay... Well, you apparently don't like the original price we agreed upon. What is your new price. Let him quote you on a new price. And if you don't like it, and its too high. Just say... "Thanks, but no thanks", and go look for a different deal.

I just think its not worth it for all the side eyed looks you get, and then when/if you ever sell it, he might then also find that as an opportunity to raise another stink. Imagine if you sold it for the same or more money than when you bought it. He might come to you with his hands out stretched asking for his cut of your sale.

Just thoughts, but you do what you think is right. You're the one who has to live with it.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

Just take the game at the good price who cares what he or any where here thinks. If it’s a good deal take it and enjoy it.

Agreed.
    You get the last laugh and the game for less $.

You can't stress about how others are. Jerks will always be jerks. Sometimes it just takes a little time until they show it.

#24 4 years ago

Depends. Let me know the game, prcie, and seller.
    If it is not one that I want to buy, then you should do it. But if I want it, you should drop the whole thing.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from Porkfritter:

i guess I am a schmuck,

Don't assign blame to yourself.

Are you a schmuck ? Yes - do something about it to unschmuck yourself. No - his problem. Don't worry about it or waste another second on it.

LTG : )

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Don't assign blame to yourself.
    Are you a schmuck ? Yes - do something about it to unschmuck yourself. No - his problem. Don't worry about it or waste another second on it.
    LTG : )

Go un-schmuck yourself!

LOL... Good advice, but perhaps a better catchphrase.

#27 4 years ago

Dudes a tool. Either way you win.

#28 4 years ago

Embrace the power of "and".

#29 4 years ago

I would tell him "I always knew you were a idiot so I knew you were going to forget the price and raise the price because you are a greedy douche but I'll buy it at the price we discuss in the first place"

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I was thinking about this again this morning and the other guy already set the tone for making it tense at league night by calling the OP a schmuck and what not.
    Not only did he call him a Schuch, he said “I always knew you were a schmuch”, which insinuates he thought little of him from the get go.

Clearly that guy didn’t care about being offensive and creating an awkward situation, which I feel gives the OP the green light to let the seller know he’s a douche.

#31 4 years ago

i never force somebody to make a deal. money on the glass and taillight warranty.
    no hurt feelings, always expect the unexpected.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

I can't upvote this enough. Embarrassing.

#33 4 years ago

Yeah, unless it's a really-really good deal, I'd say it's not worth any additional drama at this point. It sounds like everyone's on edge. The slightest issue, that either party would otherwise brush off, could cause a major issue.

#34 4 years ago

I’m still trying to get past the JUJU part. Really??

#35 4 years ago

A schmuck you say?
    At least he didn't call you a jabroni.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

I was thinking about this again this morning
    ...which I feel gives the OP the green light to let the seller know he’s a douche.

Sure sure I agree, and that's what we would do. Now, what do you think a kind of a schmucky dude with some bad juju would do?

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

A schmuck you say?
    At least he didn't call you a jabroni.

If he did. I'd put him in a camel clutch!

#38 4 years ago

I figure I will try and fill in a few holes that he glosses over

We never had an agreed upon price for just one pin. The deal was for two pins, yes originally he was only looking for one but even after going lower than my bottom dollar for someone in league he still wouldn’t agree to the original pin. Later that day we did come to an agreement for a package deal of two pins. I did hold the pins for him with no problems since I wasn’t in a hurry to sell them and 4 weeks after the deal is when he said that he had the money for one pin, this is when I informed him that’s good and we can set up logistics and to transfer me half of the money.
    Three more weeks go by and I ask what’s up and he says that he is having trouble getting the logistical part down so I find someone else from league to do me a favor and drive it down with him, about 200 miles round trip. Once the logistics were set up is when I put an actual dollar amount in the message instead of saying half, this is where he backed out.

After he said sorry I’m not paying that I sent him a message explaining why I wanted half the money for half the product to protect the deal on my end. He still declined and I responded “I’ll assume you were always planning on screwing me which is why I wanted to protect myself”.

When he tried to back out of the deal I did ask for a different price if he was gonna do them separate , I did forget that I went lower than my wanted bottom dollar with him but once again we never had an actual agreed upon price and it’s 7 weeks later

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from Forral20:

I did forget that I went lower than my wanted bottom dollar with him but once again we never had an actual agreed upon price and it’s 7 weeks later

When I originally read the post my biggest question was how much time. Whenever I head "it's going time to get monies" I sort of get suspect of a deal. You gotta have the monies ready, or sitting in the bank.

Thanks for filling us in.
    WAIT; did you call him a schmuck or not? That's really the only interesting part to this whole thing, and is going to make a tidal wave to one side or the other

#40 4 years ago

I did not. I quoted what I said

#41 4 years ago

If both buyer and seller want to both agree to not follow through with this sale it might be best for both sides. Sounds like neither party will be happy at this point. just agree that it wasn't meant to be for whatever reason.

Back to playing pinball with friends.

#42 4 years ago

Is anyone going to tell us the games and prices so we can come buy them?

#43 4 years ago

Honestly I’ve bought and sold pins to people who are jerks or whatever. I think the important part is both of you to agree on the deal. If you can’t agree then kill the deal without the drama. Either way it is my prediction you both will live. Too many pins and too many good people in pinball for the aggravation or nonsense. I’m surprised the seller can split a Two pin deal down the middle because that’s gotta be rare. Must be sterns

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from gurl_friday11:

Honestly I’ve bought and sold pins to people who are jerks or whatever. I think the important part is both of you to agree on the deal. If you can’t agree then kill the deal without the drama. Either way it is my prediction you both will live. Too many pins and too many good people in pinball for the aggravation or nonsense. I’m surprised the seller can split a Two pin deal down the middle because that’s gotta be rare. Must be sterns

Its my prediction that both will DIE... ... ... Eventually. Hopefully many good years filled with bitching and complaining and posting on silly internet forums about deals that never got made!

Very entertaining this thread... Now, where is my popcorn. Nom, nom, nom!

#46 4 years ago

Huh.. downgraded from Schmuck to screwer. Or upgraded? I dunno..

I was going to say just own bring a scmuck and grab the pin — you’ll forget about this soon enough but then I do remember you guys play league together so maybe not water under the bridge so quickly. Always interesting to hear the other side of story lol .. def. changes the view of the whole situation

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

WAIT; did you call him a schmuck or not? That's really the only interesting part to this whole thing, and is going to make a tidal wave to one side or the other

Quoted from Forral20:

A deflating end to the story!

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Quoted from Forral20:

Damnit, I now take back the comment suggesting that you insert one of games in your anus.
    I guess there's always two sides to the story.

#50 4 years ago

Pinside Thread Simulation!!!
    ***********************************************************************************************************
    OP opens thread with believable grievance. Do you wish to continue checking the thread(y or n): User Input is (y).
    ***********************************************************************************************************
    Pinsiders give useful buying advice, life advice, & other advice.
    Pinsiders debate terms like butthurt & smuck. Do you wish to continue checking the thread(y or n): User Input is (n).
    Automated Message: You cannot leave the thread! Too early!
    The Pinsider from OP's grievance comments with details and refutes OP's claims
    Should OP and Pinsider enter Thunderdome and fight to death for games in question? (y or n): User Input is (y).
    Has CrazyLevi commented on thread? (y or n): User Input is (y).
    Thread Simulation Over

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/butthurt-and-stupid-or-making-a-valid-statement-on-purchase?hl=jake35 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.