(Topic ID: 160272)

Butchers Bowling Alley Wax

By Spider3582

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Ok another question I have. I use Butchers Bowling Alley wax on my EM playfields. Seems to work very well just hard to rub off which is OK with me. Does anyone else use this or have a opinion on it

#2 7 years ago

have not tried that product. I use marine wax on my pins.
    I would suspect tho, that if your stuff can protect a lane from a 16 lb ball bouncin on it, it shud be gud for pin tables too.

#3 7 years ago

That can might be called "bowling wax" but I assure you "wax" is not used on lane surfaces. Not 50 years ago and not now.

#4 7 years ago

It's used on anything outdoors for protection . A very knowledgeable Pinball guy gave it to me when I bought my first EM pin 5 years ago . I now own 5 pins and use it on all. Just wondered if anybody else uses it

#5 7 years ago

Butcher's Bowling Alley Wax is great for pinball cabinets. I've never tried it on a playfield.

#6 7 years ago

That exact wax was recommended for the fingerboard of my Ovation acoustic guitar. Bought it at Home Depot years ago but haven't tried it on my play fields.

#7 7 years ago

I tried it and did not like it. Yes it works, yes it is hard to get off, and yes it smells! : ) I stayed w/ Johnsons Furniture Paste Wax/Polish. That smells to but much easier to use.

#9 7 years ago

Wax thread alert!

#10 7 years ago

I understand and have read everyone's religious methods of waxing their machines, but in all that talk I never read of anyone using butchers. I have been with it for 5 years waxing 2-3 times a year on 5 machines and they have not desinagrated yet. I was just wondering if anybody else uses it

#11 7 years ago

I don't want to get in any big discussions about other people's waxing habits I was just wondering who out there besides me uses butchers

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from Spider3582:

I don't want to get in any big discussions about other people's waxing habits I was just wondering who out there besides me uses butchers

Apparently, no one.

#13 7 years ago

I see that. Maybe im not part of the popular crowd. Haha

#14 7 years ago

Maybe just use what you want to use. Much easier than asking the crowd here and getting the lectures that some like to dole out. There are many good choices and that is probably one of the many.

#15 7 years ago

Yea your right. Ok thanks this topic is closed

#16 7 years ago

I remember seeing that bowling alley wax a while ago. I almost picked up a can, but then I noticed it had turpentine in it. I'm not sure if turpentine will harm playfield finishes, lacquers, or inks, but if it works for you, I see no issues. Just be careful.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bowlingpin:

That can might be called "bowling wax" but I assure you "wax" is not used on lane surfaces. Not 50 years ago and not now.

Only reason I opened this thread was out of sheer curiosity on the name. Man I HATED oiling the lanes when I worked in a bowling alley. Not the actual work, but the cleanup on the machine and adding oil. What a mess.

4 years later
    #18 3 years ago

Spider3582 - I got warned off of Butcher’s wax (now being sold as Bowling Alley Wax; Butcher’s went under but the brand was resurrected) for its solvent base. However...the other day I absent minded-ly started applying it to my newly clear coated PinBot playfield (had the can out for something else and just reached for it). While it was HARD to buff off compared to the Blitz wax I have been using for a number of years, that also suggests that it leaves more product in place. I’m always kind of annoyed at how quickly I can tell when the wax has started to go on my games; PinBot plays like an absolute dream with a coating of this stuff.
    I was sort of worried about using it on old varnished playfields, but if you’re not finding it to be a problem...
    I’ve got a Stern GALAXY that I plan to clear coat eventually, but for now am just trying to keep it well protected and enjoy playing it. Might give the Product Formerly Known as Butcher’s a try...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/butchers-bowling-alley-wax and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.