(Topic ID: 162113)

Busted Utilite in FullT - any alternatives?

By shaneo

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by shaneo
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballrulez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

Have you contacted Heighway support? If not, would do so ASAP.

Think he did:

Quoted from shaneo:

HW have suggested best thing is to replace existing Utilite. OK for now but these things are no longer in prod.
I do not want to be looking for one of these in 5 years.

For what I know Heighway has stated that the software used on their pins is hardware independent.

I cannot help you any further as I do have only very little knowlegde of Linux.

#4 7 years ago

Would be wise though to get a replacement through Heighway. As they have the supported and tested version.

#6 7 years ago

Hi Shane,

Sorry to hear you have so much trouble with your pin. I do not recognize that bad quality as being the standard for Heighway Pinball. They should fix this for you as soon as possible in the best way they can.

I do not think that the use of flash storage (Flash drives, SSD, SD Card) is a problem and should have a life span of 5 - 10 years depending on the write cycles. As for the software I did not know it is hardware bound. As Heighway stated in the past the software would be hardware independent to assure feature compatibility if indeed former used hardware is not available anymore. If this is not the case then they have a mayor breach on their overall concept.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

The game software is mostly (i.e. 99.9%) CPU independent. But the OS and device drivers are very specific to the Utilite, because they have to be. There is a difference between the game code and the system code.
"The software" as a whole is very portable, in the sense that if/when we decide to support a newer CPU, we (the Heighway developers) can do it with minimal - but not zero - effort.

Thanks for the feedback Brian.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballrulez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/busted-utilite-in-fullt-any-alternatives?tu=pinballrulez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.