(Topic ID: 162113)

Busted Utilite in FullT - any alternatives?

By shaneo

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by shaneo
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HeighwayPinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from shaneo:

PinballRulez, that is the likely course of action.
It does not solve the fact these Utilite's are a POS and will inveitably fail again, nor the fact they are booting from a micro SD, which have a limited number of R/W's before they fail.
I appreciate and understand the benefits of ARM vs i386 architecture but I do question the reasoning behind only compiling for this specific device and model. Streuth, a Utilite 2 has and SSD and more grunt via Snapdragon but I've been told by HW that would not work.
I have also experienced poor build and assemble quality, ie, cable ties used to fix things instead of screws, a PF glass frame sized so poorly I needed to 1/4 shim the lock down assy so it didn't slop about, credit/ball launch buttons which were so poorly placed they were bent downwards by the PF struts when the PF was in place, a USB hub so full of corrosion it literally fell apart, the PF LCD cover not glued/fixed in any way, no protection on the ramp exits at all, lane guides so poorly positioned so there was either STDM or no flow, a failed IO, wheel spinning motors which may cause IO failure. Let's not forget the audio amp and drivers, not exactly top notch kit, indeed quite the opposite.
I love this as a game. It has the greatest shots and flow once setup. It's the best game I have ever played.
As a machine I'm certainly over the fanboi stage from now on will be calling a spade a spade.

We are sorry that you have experienced some build quality issues. The game you have was one of the first 5 units off the production line.

We were still finding our feet with regards to the build at that point. Lessons learnt from the first machine runs have now been implemented on recent games. The majority of our customers seem to be more than happy with the build quality on our games, so I would hope that the majority of issues that you have had have since been rectified.

If we can help further with your game then we will do our best. Please bear in mind that we believe this has been a well-used game for over a year at this point.

2 weeks later
#13 7 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

Since you guys seem to know, could you tell me what exactly will happen in 5-10 years and what the fix will be?
What if ...and please apologize for me even thinking of it.... there is no more Heighway Pinball in 5-10 years and the card fails, will my FT be a large brick at that point?
Thank you for explaining it, I am truly curious

The software is Linux-based.

It can essentially work on most PCs.

This will ensure that games in the future can keep running in all circumstances

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HeighwayPinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/busted-utilite-in-fullt-any-alternatives?tu=HeighwayPinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.