(Topic ID: 266936)

Busted transformer? No, line filter. Is it needed?

By Axl

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by mbwalker
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

16F9832F-0A7E-4AFE-9270-0D2724B3A162 (resized).jpeg
B2A01C73-EDF6-4D2C-8988-FAAE70B767E8 (resized).jpeg
74883AB6-A0C7-467A-AA08-6659735C0A7F (resized).jpeg
C5E898F7-FBF8-4571-BCDD-5A4225995D75 (resized).jpeg
A5D1059A-DE4D-4A4A-93F7-5A7FC673446F (resized).jpeg
trafo (resized).png
st (resized).png
16bb93058c5cc9e63197624735474ac075f9431e (resized).jpg
20200421_190214 (resized).jpg
F0102E0B-20B3-4B3F-BA00-9FF57C2BD051 (resized).jpeg
D5333C5A-DDA2-45C6-A00B-9D1E5534EA51 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider skidave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 4 years ago

Your transformer could have a shorted winding, which is causing it to pull a ton of current...which causes the fuse or breaker to blow / trip.

If you dont have a solid background in electrical theory or electronics, this might be a hard one for you. DON'T keep plugging it in to the wall socket. Find someone with a variac or experience testing circuits.

If this were mine, I would disconnect the transformer primary [where AC wall connects] and supply a lower AC voltage with a variac and start measuring AC output. Or reverse feed the transformer secondaries with low voltages and see how things measure.

I'd Nerd out and use my impedance bridge too.

#4 4 years ago

Check your hot, neutral and ground from your power cord and make sure someone didn't tie something together incorrectly. Easy stuff first.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Gotemwill:

In my experience transformers are rarely the problem unless someone physically damaged them which is usually very obvious. Yours has some aged paper insulation but that says nothing about it’s electrical condition.
Test, test, test but understand you are working with full line voltage.

I agree. However, I have had a transformer with an open winding and another with a shorted winding. Both on the secondary side. Not pinball transformers. It happens.

#16 4 years ago

Sounds crazy, but did you check your plug on the cord (where you plug it into the wall) to make sure it is wired correctly. I am assuming it has a 'screw on plug' and not a molded plastic plug.

If you ohm or meter a transformer, you are going to measure low resistances because it merely is a coil of wire from one side to the other (hot to neutral). Yes, there will be separation between the primary input and secondary output. You need to find a variac or impedance bridge to test this properly.

#20 3 years ago

I don't know export games (outside the USA), but that might be a filter someone added and not Bally. Others can confirm. Those line filters were / are used on solid state games. Inside are resistors and capacitors that can go bad.

You can order replacements from Farnell or DigiKey. Those are European suppliers. You just need to spec your AC voltage and current of the game. A 3 to 5 Amp filter would be plenty.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Myrtle Beach, SC
750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider skidave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/busted-transformer?tu=skidave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.