• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

brushed_motor_.jpg
20140824_003122.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I pulled out the shaker motor on my ACDC because it was squeaking. I believe it is not the motor bushings themselves that are making the noise, but possibly the brushes inside. Anyhow when removing the top plastic case on the assembly, I noticed a fair bit of brass dust in the cabinet. So I oiled the bushings and loosened the rod a little so now the squeaking is gone. I'm thinking there must not be much lubrication on these bushings to begin with or they are just cheaply made.

20140824_003122.jpg20140824_003122.jpg
#2 9 years ago

The brass dust is most likely coming from the left flipper plunger stop. There is a brass part in it that eventually wears completely out, and then the flipper starts getting stuck in the upright position. No need to worry, pretty standard wear item for newer sterns. Maybe just order a spare and have it on hand for when the flipper starts sticking.

As far as the squeaking goes, good luck. Sometimes you can stop it, sometimes not.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from caker137:

As far as the squeaking goes, good luck. Sometimes you can stop it, sometimes not.

Mine squeaks intermittently. I tried to oil it, but that did no good. Luckily, it does not squeak more than it does. Turn the sound up on the machine!

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from caker137:

The brass dust is most likely coming from the left flipper plunger stop. There is a brass part in it that eventually wears completely out, and then the flipper starts getting stuck in the upright position. No need to worry, pretty standard wear item for newer sterns. Maybe just order a spare and have it on hand for when the flipper starts sticking.

Yeah I do see piles of brass colored dust in different spots. Time to break out the vacuum cleaner!

Rob

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Mine squeaks intermittently. I tried to oil it, but that did no good. Luckily, it does not squeak more than it does. Turn the sound up on the machine!

I verified the squeaking is internal on the motor and not the bushings. Spraying some cleaner in on the brushes fixed it.

Rob

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I verified the squeaking is internal on the motor and not the bushings. Spraying some cleaner in on the brushes fixed it.
Rob

What are the brushes, and are they in a different area than where you put the oil? What kind of cleaner did you use? I dropped some oil on the rod that holds the weights right between the weights and the housing. Did you do something different?

#7 9 years ago

Just for kicks, check your left flipper coil stop. My brand new ST Pro had brass dust on top and near the shaker motor. Turned out to be the coil stop was loose and spinning on the bracket.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

What are the brushes, and are they in a different area than where you put the oil? What kind of cleaner did you use? I dropped some oil on the rod that holds the weights right between the weights and the housing. Did you do something different?

There are slots in the side of the motor where you can spray some contact cleaner in there. Take the shaker motor out first to avoid making a mess in the game.

I'll include a picture of what a standard brushed motor looks like apart. The endbell (part on the left) has 2 brushes which sit against the commutator of the motor armature (middle item, the commutator is the copper part which on this motor is quite dirty).

Rob

brushed_motor_.jpgbrushed_motor_.jpg
#9 9 years ago
Quoted from 85Txaggie:

Just for kicks, check your left flipper coil stop. My brand new ST Pro had brass dust on top and near the shaker motor. Turned out to be the coil stop was loose and spinning on the bracket.

I looked and can see deposits of brass dust in different locations throughout the cabinet. It seems to be quite a lot of wear for so few plays.

Rob

#10 9 years ago

looks like a pretty standard mabuchi 540 can type motor (or johnson, same-same) easily replaced. hard to tell its exact size-scale from the photo, 280's 380's and 400's are built the same but smaller.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

There are slots in the side of the motor where you can spray some contact cleaner in there. Take the shaker motor out first to avoid making a mess in the game.
I'll include a picture of what a standard brushed motor looks like apart. The endbell (part on the left) has 2 brushes which sit against the commutator of the motor armature (middle item, the commutator is the copper part which on this motor is quite dirty).
Rob

brushed_motor_.jpg 19 KB

Thanks for the explanation. I'll take a look and give it a try the next time the squeaking is bothering me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 29.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.95
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 29.95
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

16,500 (Firm)
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bushing-wear-on-stern-shaker-motor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.