• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190419_163125 (resized).jpg
20190419_163051 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hi everyone. I am a still pretty much a novice when it comes to repairing my pinball machine. I am OK with swapping out parts and soldering, but not very good at understanding how to test things or to do board-level stuff.

Here's my story:
Last week we had company over and got into a marathon pinball series. All of a sudden the room smelled like burnt electrical parts. Inspection showed that my top right pop bumper coil got blazing hot and the plunger was stuck down. I powered off the machine and removed the coil. SG1-23 850DC. I went online and ordered a replacement (SG-23 850DC), which came with a new sleeve and resistor/diode? (I think it is a diode.) I cleaned and steel-wooled the plunger and reinstalled the assembly. After installation, the solenoid still does not work. I put the machine in diagnostic mode and all solenoids fire except that one. I have a feeling that something else must be wrong - perhaps on the driver board? I do not have any test equipment other than a cheap digital multimeter.

Firepower II and Black Knight share the same MPU and driver boards (Williams System 7 I believe).

Any advice on next steps?

#2 4 years ago

Your driver transistor (TIP 102 can BE USED) and pre driver 2n4401 should be changed . The driver boards can be swapped.

#3 4 years ago

Just need to know which pop bumper it is and then you can locate the transistors.

#4 4 years ago

Update -
Thinking I was a genius, I decided to try to eliminate the possibility that the new coil was bad. I detached the red and black wires from one of the other pop bumpers and then jumped those wires to the new coil, thinking that that would make it fire if the coil was good. WRONG. Pop sound, burn smell and smoke came up from the right rear side of the driver board.

Now when I power the machine off and back on, it sounds funny and solenoid(s) fire instantly. Did I fry the driver board? Can I fix the board myself or should I buy a remanufactured one? Will that fix my problem or do I need to look at something else as well?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from aborup:

Update -
Thinking I was a genius, I decided to try to eliminate the possibility that the new coil was bad. I detached the red and black wires from one of the other pop bumpers and then jumped those wires to the new coil, thinking that that would make it fire if the coil was good. WRONG. Pop sound, burn smell and smoke came up from the right rear side of the driver board.
Now when I power the machine off and back on, it sounds funny and solenoid(s) fire instantly. Did I fry the driver board? Can I fix the board myself or should I buy a remanufactured one? Will that fix my problem or do I need to look at something else as well?

Worst case you can send it out to Clive at Coinopcauldron.com

Not sure if Rob at lockwhenlit.com works on older games..

#6 4 years ago

My driver board has some burnt looking areas on it as shown here:

20190419_163051 (resized).jpg20190419_163051 (resized).jpg20190419_163125 (resized).jpg20190419_163125 (resized).jpg
#7 4 years ago

Very normal for those resistors to be discolored. They control feature lamps and get hot enough at times to unsolder themselves.

#8 4 years ago

Thanks for theme replies. If I replace the driver board completely, can I assume that everything should be working again?

#9 4 years ago

Yes, but replace the diodes on the 2 coils you have had issues with.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 22.50
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/burnt-pop-bumper-coil-firepower-ii and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.