Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by johnwartjr
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

So I have a light string out and traced it to a burnt GI connector to the board. I'm going to replace the connector but I noticed how incredibly hot it is. So I'm wondering if I have something else wrong I should look for, or if these things are just inherently ridiculously hot. I am swapping out most of the lights for Led's so hopefully that helps some. This is my first time dealing with replacing burnt connectors.
Also a dumb question, if I just touched the wire to the pin to the wire shouldn't the light string work? I guess I just don't understand the concept of the plastic being burnt to making the lights not come on.... Thanks for any help!

#2 9 years ago
Quoted from nighttaco:

Also a dumb question, if I just touched the wire to the pin to the wire shouldn't the light string work? I guess I just don't understand the concept of the plastic being burnt to making the lights not come on.... Thanks for any help!

Yes it should light up the string. Really, if you touch and wire to any of those GI pins they should light. If it doesn't, it's probably a fuse blown. burnt GI connectors extremely common.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from nighttaco:

So I'm wondering if I have something else wrong I should look for, or if these things are just inherently ridiculously hot

It's pinball, so there could always be something else going on, but yeah, GI connectors on machines with a full load of incandescents can just get ridiculously hot and burn up.

Quoted from nighttaco:

Also a dumb question, if I just touched the wire to the pin to the wire shouldn't the light string work? I guess I just don't understand the concept of the plastic being burnt to making the lights not come on....

Not a dumb question. As TheLaw said you may have a fuse out as well, but also note when those GI connectors get hot enough to burn the plastic, the pins themselves can get scorched as well, so they may have a layer of carbon/crud on them, inhibiting a solid connection.

#4 9 years ago

The male and female side of this plug will need replaced. Use trifurcon crimp pins.

#5 9 years ago

Appreciate the help, just ordered the connectors to both sides, also anyone know where to buy 5 amp slow blow fuses at that are a reasonable price? And does anyone happen to know which fuse is connected to the GI string for the left side of the playfield on this game? I tested the fuses and couldn't seem to find a bad one...

#6 9 years ago

Redo your plugs first before worrying about why a string doesnt work. You will probably find the issue is burned up solder joint on the header pin.

#7 9 years ago

You're probably right, sucks being stuck at work and not being able to work on it, I'll post an update once I work on it, thanks.

#8 9 years ago

Heat is a really good reason to go to all LED lighting IMHO.

1 month later
#9 9 years ago

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help! Finally repinned the connectors (not as bad as I thought it would be), and soldered in a new male pin where the one was burnt, everything works again!

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from nighttaco:

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help! Finally repinned the connectors (not as bad as I thought it would be), and soldered in a new male pin where the one was burnt, everything works again!

You should have probably replaced the entire connector wafer, but hey if it works, go for it. nice job

#11 9 years ago

Agreed. 1 pin burnt = the rest have compromised plating as well. If the rest of them burn, don't replace them 1 at a time - replace the entire 11 pin header.

Glad you got through it though

#12 9 years ago

on the same subject.....On my system 11 gi I notice that the wires piggyback and go to the next pin. It's seems impossible to double up the wires in the connector. Are the two woes necessary going to the next pin?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plantsville, CT
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Balt, MD

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/burnt-gi-connector-on-wcs-94-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.