Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

30 Dollars Priority shipping (resized).jpg
    30 Dollars shipping complain (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 4 years ago

Wow,

Was in a hurry to order some HV capacitors before leaving town and failed to notice the excessive shipping charge that has been imposed. I mistakenly purchased 8 caps at about $2.50 each and when I was reconciling my recent purchases after getting back home I found out I paid $70 for these! There is no reason for this that makes any real sense. I read the excuse on the website three times and don't get it. But it's my fault for being in a hurry.

The products are fine but I will have to buy elsewhere from now on, unfortunately.

#2 4 years ago

If you placed an order in a hurry and accidentally paid a ton for expedited shipping, this isn't BD's fault. Todd probably figured you knew what you were doing and wanted the caps quickly and were willing to pay for it.

Another thing to keep in mind, Paypal now keeps the fees when you cancel a sale. Doesn't matter if it is a mistake, or error, Paypal keeps it. So if you mess up, do you expect Todd to eat the fees?

Finally, did you contact Todd, or did you come right here and start a thread to complain? Todd's a reasonable guy and is nice. But if the approach you took is to immediately come here and bash him first, I wouldn't expect him to bend over backwards to be nice.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinthetic:

But it's my fault for being in a hurry.

Right there is your answer. Why make this public? Email Todd and as he states on his site, he can change shipping because he doesn't ship by weight. You paid the cart price so it was your choice during paypal checkout.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Right there is your answer. Why make this public?

Yeah, there's really nothing that can be done about it now. Parts were paid for, shipped, transaction is complete. Best advice I could give right now is to chalk this up to experience, contact a mod, and ask for the thread to be deleted.

#5 4 years ago

Stangbat, not so much a complaint but a heads up so maybe after reading this no one else gets hooked for excessive shipping charges. I don't usually bash people, check my post history.

There was no "expedited shipping". As I said this is MY FAULT. I am not bashing him personally. MY FAULT! He sells good products and stands by them. I have bought from him in the past and that is why I did not hesitate to reorder. I could have gone to Great Plains Electronics for the same items but as principle I spread out purchases in the pinball community. I just ordered from Ed. You need to support all the guys who offer products.

No, I did not contact him because the notice in the web site clearly states there will be no adjustments or refunds on that charge. Sounds pretty clear to me. "Don't bother".

The box weighed 5 ounces, shipped in the US, and should have cost $3 to ship first class. I do expect a handling charge but really, $50 shipping on a 5 ounce package? Bottom line here is unless you are going to spend on a large purchase expect the $50 charge.

Regardless,

#6 4 years ago

I'm afraid that the shipping charge is incorrect. Now, that's all I have to say.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinthetic:

The box weighed 5 ounces, shipped in the US, and should have cost $3 to ship first class. I do expect a handling charge but really, $50 shipping on a 5 ounce package? Bottom line here is unless you are going to spend on a large purchase expect the $50 charge

I just received my order from BD today. Todd was nice enough to set up a special order for 28 Pin female .100 connectors which I needed. Everyone else is out, and he just sells kits. But he sold me some and I ordered extra stuff to make the minimum plus more. My order was about the same weight and it was $9.50 shipping. Nothing ships for $3 1st class mail anymore in a box. I ship 2 oz to the West coast from PA and it's more than that in a light weight envelope which costs me $$. How you paid $50 in the USA makes no sense to me.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinthetic:

The box weighed 5 ounces, shipped in the US, and should have cost $3 to ship first class. I do expect a handling charge but really, $50 shipping on a 5 ounce package? Bottom line here is unless you are going to spend on a large purchase expect the $50 charge.

I'm trying to be diplomatic, don't get me wrong or take this the wrong way. I suggest that you double check how much you paid for this transaction and how much you paid for shipping. I think you've got it wrong.

#9 4 years ago
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinthetic:

Stangbat, not so much a complaint but a heads up so maybe after reading this no one else gets hooked for excessive shipping charges. I don't usually bash people, check my post history.
    There was no "expedited shipping". As I said this is MY FAULT. I am not bashing him personally. MY FAULT! He sells good products and stands by them. I have bought from him in the past and that is why I did not hesitate to reorder. I could have gone to Great Plains Electronics for the same items but as principle I spread out purchases in the pinball community. I just ordered from Ed. You need to support all the guys who offer products.
    No, I did not contact him because the notice in the web site clearly states there will be no adjustments or refunds on that charge. Sounds pretty clear to me. "Don't bother".
    Regardless,

But you opened your post with “Burned by Big Daddy.” Since it was your fault the title should read “How to screw one’s self when not paying attention.”

I can’t speak for others but I have done dumb stuff like this, too.

#11 4 years ago

He sells the same stuff on ebay. So to avoid his fees, I go through ebay... Stupid, but whatevs

#12 4 years ago

Seems like you burned yourself, rather than being burned by BD? Maybe you should change the title of your post?

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinthetic:

The box weighed 5 ounces, shipped in the US, and should have cost $3 to ship first class.

Talk to Todd -- he's a nice guy.

BTW, it costs more than $4 to ship a 5 ounce package as a 'Zone 1' shipment (which is the cheapest). Missouri to Tennessee is a 'Zone 5' shipment - just over $4.50. Not that it makes much difference in your case, though.

Like I said -- talk to Todd about this. And for search engines - please change the title from "Burned by Big D...dy" to something that doesn't sound accusatory in the future. Doesn't help a business when one of the first things in the search engine list is titled "Burned by ...." when it appears to be a simple oversight.

#14 4 years ago

$30 is crazy for shipping. It seems like from his website he has to much business - charging that for shipping should give you some more spare time cause you won't be packing my order.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballTilt:

$30 is crazy for shipping. It seems like from his website he has to much business - charging that for shipping should give you some more spare time cause you won't be packing my order.

He only charges $30 shipping if the minimum order is not met, which is $30. If you have $29.99 in your cart and you check out, you will get charged $30. If you have $30.00 in your cart and you check out, you will get charged "actual" shipping costs, which is like $7.

#16 4 years ago

Todd has been super cool getting parts from. Hes been getting my business for 6 years now.

#17 4 years ago

Plus 1 for Big Daddy

#18 4 years ago

Try arrow electronics. No minimum order and free shipping - no matter the size of the order. Overnight free shipping. Even for a $5 part. Wow. They are not a pinball resource place. They sell electronics only. But for these types of orders can’t be beat. You are also have to scroll thru the listing to get the correct qty/pricing /availability - but they’re prices are right in line

#19 4 years ago

Todd here from Big Daddy. Hate to be drawn to this by the messages/texts/emails I got from friends and customers, but I have to at least state the *correct* facts, and give a little bit of information on why this is in place at Big Daddy, though the reason it's in place appears to be obvious to everyone except one person here.

First off the facts.

1. The total order was $50, not $70. It's very well insinuated that he paid $70 for a handful of $2.50 capacitors. The order was $20 and the shipping he decided to pay was $30.

Quoted from Pinthetic:

I do expect a handling charge but really, $50 shipping

2. The shipping charge was $30, never $50, never has been. It's been $22,000 before, we all know about that!

Quoted from Pinthetic:

There was no "expedited shipping".

3. Priority was shown at checkout, as it is also shown on your receipt. Economy and overnight are options in the drop down box. Attached is a screen shot you see on checkout for a $29 item, clearly showing the total cost, and clearly showing Priority shipping. That he ignored this and the cost and proceeded to pay is the problem he's having. It's also shown on the PayPal receipt you get in minutes. Also attached pic of the payment I receive with the shipping shown Priority. When I get an email from PayPal with the word Priority in it, it's highlighted and I get a pop up so that I'm aware I have an order that is not economy s/h.

Quoted from Pinthetic:

on a 5 ounce package?

4. The posted weight was 8oz, not 5, and packed in a small box (that I buy) bumps it $4+ in all places in the US.

Quoted from Pinthetic:

I will have to buy elsewhere from now on, unfortunately.

Sad to me that you made this mistake and yet publicly posting you won't give me any business anymore, coming here to "warn" people and bash Big Daddy (since the original post was titled "Burned by Big Daddy") as if I've intentionally screwed you. Thinking you might have been a frequent customer, I looked. Nope, never ordered from me before on the site. In the past 15 years you have only ordered twice, once a $30 Pinside/RGP TIP102 special (shipped for free) and the 2nd an eBay sale.

Minimum order cost/shipping costs are posted in at least three places on my site. I hide nothing. Many people have paid $30 to get their order, I have to assume people pay attention to shipping costs and just need their stuff quick and are willing to pay it when they do. If I order somewhere and I think the shipping costs is prohibitive, I question it, and do not order. You, in your case, appears you have some driver boards to fix, and maybe you needed them fixed ASAP. I'm not given credit that you placed an order Friday morning and even though I was leaving town, I got your order out and you got it Monday. MONDAY!

The $30 is set because the little orders like a single resistor are just not worth my time to ship. Sometimes people order a $15 kit or a $25 board and I can only assume they are willing to pay for that added expense when it is shown to them and it's paid, especially if I do not get an email from them.

My stating I won't refund is not really set in stone, I'm glad to work with someone if they contact me *BEFORE* I ship out their order, and depending on what it is I'll work with you or refund. It's after the fact when someone gets their order, decides then to look in to it and then complain, especially when they publicly bash.

Sorry for the drama, but I felt it needed clarity. And although I doubt @Pinthetic will order from me again, if he does I will give a $20 credit back on a future order.

30 Dollars Priority shipping (resized).jpg30 Dollars Priority shipping (resized).jpg30 Dollars shipping complain (resized).jpg30 Dollars shipping complain (resized).jpg
    #20 4 years ago

Op admits he did something stupid and then blames everyone else....nice

#21 4 years ago

Big Daddy has always been great to deal with and has a terrific selection of kits to fix classic Bally/Stern games which I've used a bunch. Order with confidence.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Big Daddy has always been great to deal with and has a terrific selection of kits to fix classic Bally/Stern games which I've used a bunch. Order with confidence.

I couldn't agree more. I've made many orders from Big Daddy over the years. Always had great service and fast shipping.

#23 4 years ago

Use arrow.com and never pay shipping again. Even on a $1 order- so long as they have the part you need...

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from toddsvec:

And although I doubt @Pinthetic will order from me again, if he does I will give a $20 credit back on a future order.

That is above and beyond the call of duty.

Extremely nice gesture on your part !

LTG : )

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Use arrow.com and never pay shipping again. Even on a $1 order- so long as they have the part you need...

If you can find it. I looked at their site for about 10 minutes once and gave up.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

I went a looked at arrow.com. The web page looks like a high school project. Sure, there are a lot of items for sale. But there are NO PICTURES. For someone who fell out of the womb knowing electronics, arrow.com probably works OK.

But for us mere mortals, like me, I need my hands held a little bit. I need to see pics. With G-P-E, if my part number is obsolete, I can email ED and he will give the substitute number.

With Big Daddy, he has these nice kits he has packaged and tells me what they are for. Want to recap a sound board? He has a kit for one stop shopping.

Both of these shops are dedicated to the pinball market. They know pinball machines and what is needed. If that costs me a little more, it is a service and convenience that I get value from.

As far as shipping goes, it is what it is. USPS keeps jacking rates and UPS and FEDX follow right along. As fas as USPS rates, it is steering you to white priority boxes by gradually closing the rates between its white priority boxes and a plain box that you bring in.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

If you can find it. I looked at their site for about 10 minutes once and gave up.

Thank you. I'm glad I"m not the only one to feel this way.

#28 4 years ago

I agree I could have done a different title for the post and I am not seeking any refunds. It’s my mistake. I was unaware of those terms mostly because I have never had to deal with this issue before and on any other website. Not Todd’s fault, purely mine.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinthetic:

I agree I could have done a different title for the post

That is not too late. Go to your first post and click edit so you can change your title now.

#30 4 years ago

I have requested the post be removed. Hopefully the short time it was up it may have saved someone from making the mistake I did.

#31 4 years ago

Arrow kicks ass and I think the website is fine. I spend a shit load of $$$ there. Free overnight shipping, coupon codes, usually best prices and if not, they price match.

Learn to use the filters at arrow and you will be fine. Sometimes you do gotta read datasheets. Can copy paste part numbers into arrow too from the guides too.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/burned-by-big-daddy-enterprizes-my-own-fault and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.