Bumpers stopped bumping.

By Zorpiedoman

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

1973 Williams Gulfstream. Woke up this morning and the three bumpers are no longer firing. Don't know it I should be looking for a fuse or a broken wire. Wish I had a full schematic.

#2 3 years ago

Full schematic is at ipdb: https://www.ipdb.org/files/1094/Williams_1973_Gulfstream_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.pdf

There is a 10 amp fuse before the bridge rectifier. Near the left flipper you’ll find the bridge rectifier and fuse.

#3 3 years ago

First let me thank you for such a quick reply. This is a pretty active site, I guess.

Second, things just got WORSE.

So I never stated that the pop bumpers were the ONLY thing that stopped working. Everything else was fine.

But... I took out that fuse by the left flipper to test it (it's fine) and now the game wont start when I press the start button. Displayblights come on when I push the left flipper, but game wont start.

Hmmm

#5 3 years ago

Doh! Sorry to be a newbie. The game would not start because it was tilted out, I guess. As soon as I dropped the table back down and put the ball back it, it came to life.

So I'm back to just the original problem with the pop bumpers not working at all. They dont score or pop.

#6 3 years ago

Could be a failed bridge rectifier. Here are test instructions.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=General#Testing_a_Bridge_Rectifier

#7 3 years ago

dr_nybble,

Just checking. Was your last reply regarding testing the rectifier for just the pop bumpers or responding to my dumb post about the game not playing?

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Zorpiedoman:

dr_nybble,
Just checking. Was your last reply regarding testing the rectifier for just the pop bumpers or responding to my dumb post about the game not playing?

The bridge rectifier supplies DC power to the bumpers and kickers.

#9 3 years ago

Update...

Looks like both the pop bumpers and the lower bumpers are not working. I will test that rectifier later on today. I thought when you said "kickers" you meant the two kick-out holes which are working fine. I need to learn the proper terminology for all this.

#10 3 years ago

Did you check the fuses and ground wires that run from coil to coil

#11 3 years ago

Yes, if the two slingshots stopped working in addition to the jet bumpers, then most probably your bridge rectifier is blown OR the the fuse holder is compromised.

If the slingshots still work but the jet bumpers do not, inspect the ground wire to the jet bumpers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Salem, OR
Gameroom - Decorations
Pin Art

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bumpers-stopped-bumping and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.